• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Zero Enforcement of Dress Code @ Palo

If you like formal wear, do a Cunard cruise.
From Cunard's (hardly formal) dress suggestions:
"If you do want to make an effort in the evening you won’t be alone. The majority of guests traveling with us embrace the chance to switch to smart attire by night. This doesn’t mean you’ll be expected to wear a gown or dinner jacket each evening. Smart attire simply means a dress shirt and trousers, skirt and a top, or a cocktail dress. Essentially, choose something along the same vein as you’d wear to a stylish restaurant or the theater on a special occasion."

I took a Cunard cruise in 2022; I did not pack formal wear and didn't need it. On the other hand, I didn't try to wear shorts to the dining room.

The market for passengers being required to wear a tuxedo or formal wear is quite small. I’m sure there are some lines that do this, but overall I do not think it would be viable.

Additionally, there are those out there who feel that restaurant dress codes and/or enforcement of the restaurant dress codes are racist. You can find many news articles online about this by doing a google search. I suspect that cruise lines are not eager to receive negative publicity and be accused of discriminating.

From Cunard's (hardly formal) dress suggestions:
"If you do want to make an effort in the evening you won’t be alone. The majority of guests traveling with us embrace the chance to switch to smart attire by night. This doesn’t mean you’ll be expected to wear a gown or dinner jacket each evening. Smart attire simply means a dress shirt and trousers, skirt and a top, or a cocktail dress. Essentially, choose something along the same vein as you’d wear to a stylish restaurant or the theater on a special occasion."

I took a Cunard cruise in 2022; I did not pack formal wear and didn't need it. On the other hand, I didn't try to wear shorts to the dining room.
I’m really looking forward to it. I will take a couple of formal gowns for Gala nights and cocktail dresses for the balance. My friend is going with me and she is taking the same.

The market for passengers being required to wear a tuxedo or formal wear is quite small. I’m sure there are some lines that do this, but overall I do not think it would be viable.

Additionally, there are those out there who feel that restaurant dress codes and/or enforcement of the restaurant dress codes are racist. You can find many news articles online about this by doing a google search. I suspect that cruise lines are not eager to receive negative publicity and be accused of discriminating.
I’m completely baffled by this. Why would people of all races be unable or unwilling to dine anywhere with a dress code? In fact I find that statement racist actually. Surely if you have a dress code policy which you apply to all regardless of anything else how can that possibly be discrimination? The articles seem to all be within the USA and in each one I read it was because the dress code had not been applied equally to all. It was then seen as an excuse to deny one sector of society which favoured less formal clothing whereas other people were allowed in wearing identical clothing. So if you are going to use clothing as an excuse to discriminate then those establishments should be scrutinised and penalised. But that’s still not a reason that a dress code by itself is racist. Application yes. Clothing no!
So as an example The Whitehouse must never hold events where people are expected to dress in long gowns and tuxedos because that’s a dress code and could be construed as racist?
When the King holds an event in Buckingham Palace, a state dinner for example, he must expect that amidst those who will decide to wear tuxedos and ball gowns there will be others in Nike Footwear, jogging bottoms wearing baseball caps ? But when the invitations were issued a dress code was not allowed to be mentioned.

Last edited:
Out of our 17 DCL cruises, we've had to fly to the departure port 11 times. I think our first cruise in 2005 was the only one where we brought fancier clothing. We normally do Palo brunch and feel it's fine to wear chino pants/button down or polo shirt/casual oxfords for him and a casual dress or skirt/top with casual shoes for me. Both outfits can be worn again for "formal" night.

How hard is it to pack a pair of bermuda shorts and a decent shirt for Palo? These are clothes that can be reworn and are easy to pack. It sounds like a few people push the boundaries because they know the Palo dining manager won't turn them away. Don't be surprised when they lower the age to 10+ at this rate.

Well you would do as Downton Abbey is my home. I’m actually the lady of the house! Carson works for me 😂😂!
If so you wouldn't be on a mass produced cruise of any kind. You would have your own yacht or at least go on a private charter.
Every cruise has its gimmicks to attract people. Enjoy your cruise.

It's a letdown. Palo was supposed to transport you into the world of upscale dining, enveloping you in its fine ambiance. Yet, while Imagineers meticulously plan every detail, right down to the costumes of cast members, some seem to think, 'Who cares what I wear?' That's why enforcing a dress code at Palo was to elevate it from a 'whatever' experience to something truly memorable.

I get that some people are.... "on vacation and I'll wear what I want". And that's fine. They can order in room service and eat in their underwear or pajamas if that's what they want. They can put on their swimsuits and eat at several places around the pool deck. They can dress ever-so-slightly nicer and eat at MDR.

I don't think it is unreasonable to ask people to wear long "no-holes" pants and a collared shirt (or skirt/dress for women) for an elevated, extra pay, dining experience. Deck shoes, dressy sandals should be fine but no flip-flops. How we dress affects how we act (schools requiring uniforms have known that for decades). How you act affects my upscale, extra pay, dining experience.

I’m completely baffled by this. Why would people of all races be unable or unwilling to dine anywhere with a dress code? In fact I find that statement racist actually. Surely if you have a dress code policy which you apply to all regardless of anything else how can that possibly be discrimination? The articles seem to all be within the USA and in each one I read it was because the dress code had not been applied equally to all. It was then seen as an excuse to deny one sector of society which favoured less formal clothing whereas other people were allowed in wearing identical clothing. So if you are going to use clothing as an excuse to discriminate then those establishments should be scrutinised and penalised. But that’s still not a reason that a dress code by itself is racist. Application yes. Clothing no!
So as an example The Whitehouse must never hold events where people are expected to dress in long gowns and tuxedos because that’s a dress code and could be construed as racist?
When the King holds an event in Buckingham Palace, a state dinner for example, he must expect that amidst those who will decide to wear tuxedos and ball gowns there will be others in Nike Footwear, jogging bottoms wearing baseball caps ? But when the invitations were issued a dress code was not allowed to be mentioned.
Some would say the definition you use as formal attire is rooted in a white European definition. Whereas other cultures have a totally different dress for ceremony and high function events. That is one reason someone might say racism is involved. In other words who determined what is dressed up and appropriate. Did they consult with those from another culture or just dictate what it is or how it should be defined. That's how racism enters the discussion.
You asked. Don't attack the messenger.

How you act affects my upscale, extra pay, dining experience.
Yes! When did we (in general) go to, „I‘ll wear whatever I want whenever and wherever because I‘m comfortable.“
Me: „Well, I‘m uncomfortable that you’re comfortable.“ Stole that from one of Sebastian Maniscalco‘s routines. His delivery of societal observations are hilarious.

Some would say the definition you use as formal attire is rooted in a white European definition. Whereas other cultures have a totally different dress for ceremony and high function events. That is one reason someone might say racism is involved. In other words who determined what is dressed up and appropriate. Did they consult with those from another culture or just dictate what it is or how it should be defined. That's how racism enters the discussion.
I don't buy that answer. If the dress code said "dark suit with white dress shirt and club tie", it would fly. But it doesn't. I don't know of any culture that defines dress for "ceremony and high function events" as shorts and t-shirts. Most ceremonial dress is much nicer than the minimum dress code. The "some" are looking for a hot-button distractor.

Oh please. Who’s the messenger exactly then? I hate when people always take a concept and try to thrown some structural racism nonsense into it. Look at the Oscars one of the most diverse celebrations in Hollywood and everyone from every culture is dressed up.

I wouldn't call dresscodes racist on D.CL.
When you look at dresscodes being racist, it is usually about hairstyles.
Or dresscodes are sexist, which is usually about girls not being allowed to wear pants with their school uniform.

On D.CL the dresscode is very loose and open for interpretation, no policies for specific genders, how to wear your hair.

And it is accessible for all cultures. Each culture has its own form of formal wear. Ever seen what African women wear to church on Sunday or at weddings, complete with headgear. Very classy and gorgeous. Same goes for Asian cultures or South America. It looks different from Europe, but each culture has it. And it will all get you into Palo.

Last edited:
Enforcement of a dress code by tipped employees is a big issue. A cruise ship is fundamentally a closed environment, so if they turn away booked guests, walk-ups to replace them may not occur. Or, the guests return in new clothing, but are angry so they don't tip.

That's the real underlying issue here.

If they enforce a dress code at a restaurant in San Francisco, the host staff are getting a wage and aren't tipped, and also there is a greater chance of being able to backfill the open table for the serving staff. On DCL, neither is true.

Enforcement of a dress code by tipped employees is a big issue. A cruise ship is fundamentally a closed environment, so if they turn away booked guests, walk-ups to replace them may not occur. Or, the guests return in new clothing, but are angry so they don't tip.

That's the real underlying issue here.

If they enforce a dress code at a restaurant in San Francisco, the host staff are getting a wage and aren't tipped, and also there is a greater chance of being able to backfill the open table for the serving staff. On DCL, neither is true.
But if they actually ENFORCE the dress code and customers KNOW they will enforce the dress code, the customer will either learn to adhere or not book the elevated experience. My experience has been that there are always more people wanting to book than slots available. Who knows, Silver or first-time travelers might be able to book! And they might appreciate that it is special.

But if they actually ENFORCE the dress code and customers KNOW they will enforce the dress code, the customer will either learn to adhere or not book the elevated experience. My experience has been that there are always more people wanting to book than slots available. Who knows, Silver or first-time travelers might be able to book! And they might appreciate that it is special.
I don't actually think that's true at all. You're assuming everyone does lots of research or is a repeat cruiser on DCL who has been to Palo before.

If so you wouldn't be on a mass produced cruise of any kind. You would have your own yacht or at least go on a private charter.
Every cruise has its gimmicks to attract people. Enjoy your cruise.
Who says I don’t have one lol? I might just like ringing the changes! 😂😂

Well Victoria and Albert’s at The Grand Floridian in Florida has a very explicit dress code stated on its website. So Disney is promoting racism then?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter