Yukon ho! Another 5/21/12 Wonder trip report! - updated 6/26!

I'm loving your trip report! DH and I are going on the Vancouver - LA repo cruise in September. We're taking the train from Portland and staying at the Fairmont Waterfront, so I was super excited to read that part of your report!

Thank you!

I'm loving your trip report! DH and I are going on the Vancouver - LA repo cruise in September. We're taking the train from Portland and staying at the Fairmont Waterfront, so I was super excited to read that part of your report!

Thank you!

I have to tell you - the second best money we spent on the trip was the upgrade to a waterview room at the Fairmont Waterfront. As you can see - it was worth every penny! We called DCL a couple months out to ask about the upgrade (we were concerned about availability since it was a holiday weekend for our trip) and they put me in contaact directly with the hotel to arrange the upgrade.

Now, I'm afraid you all will have to wait a couple of installments to find out what the best money we spent on the trip was. ;)

Michelle,
We took the train Saturday morning to Vancouver, and, Sunday, we went to the Suspension Bridge. It was misty and trying to rain but we had a great time. I walked across the bridge and climbed to the tree tops....things I thought I would never do. Your pictures from the train look amazingly like ours but we did get a few more pictures of the bald eagles. But, there were four of us taking pictures!!
We stayed at the Blue Horizon which was a wonderful hotel. Seattle was an amazing city, too. We spent a few days there before the cruise. I'm glad you are doing this trip report. I am looking forward to seeing more pictures and hearing about the "best" part of the trip!!
Barbara:goodvibes

Hi Barbara!! I'm jealous of your eagle pictures!:rotfl:

And, on with the trip:

When we woke up, I went up to the buffet for breakfast and coffee, which we enjoyed in the room. While there, we passed to the Island Princess, she was heading south, I’m assuming after an Alaska run.

100_2881.jpg

100_2883.jpg

We went to the 9:30 presentation by Naturalist Doug Jones. He is a native Alaskan and worked as a fishery biologist for years. He opened his presentation with a quote about Alaska from John Muir.

To the lover of wilderness, Alaska is one of the most wonderful countries in the world.​

He talked about the path we’re taking and what we should see along the way. We learned:
•the first thing we will see from a whale is the water spout when they breath – then if we see the tail, it’s a humpback or if we see the long body, it’s an orca.
•to look carefully at logs floating by – they may be otters! Otters like to float on their backs – they carry a rock on their bellies and use it to crack open the shellfish.
•Otters have rounded heads and sea lions have pointy noses!
•Almost the entire area of the cruise is in the Tongass National Forest. Tracy Arm is designated as wilderness, which means it must remain pristine – no roads, houses or any sign of man.
•the ship must maintain a certain level of noise so there’s no outside music on deck and even the narration Mr. Jones is going to provide tomorrow will be muted.
•Skagway has a population of just over 800, but during the high season, there can be three cruise ships in dock, effectively quadrupling the population.
•Alaska is so isolated that all goods come up by barge. Fresh fruit and meats are placed into refrigerated freight cars and loaded onto the barge for the trip up. We passed barges with Caterpillar equipment and cars on top of the freight cars. Currently gas is running around $4.49/gallon in Juneau – we’re paying $3.49.
• He told of a plane that sustained a ‘fish strike’. While climbing after takeoff, the pilot noticed an eagle flying towards them, the eagle saw them and veered away, but dropped his dinner – which the plane ran into…

After the presentation, we went to Palo for brunch.
100_2883a.jpg

Nikoli from Serbia took excellent care of us! As soon as we would start to think we were ready for the next course – he’d be there! We both enjoyed the gorgonzola on these wonderfully huge crostinis. Mom tried the Cajun spiced tuna tartar and really enjoyed it. We both tried the salmon mousse – I loved it and Mom didn’t care for it. We shared a pear and gorgonzola flat bread (one of my favorite things), then our main courses. Mom had the chicken parmesan, something she always looks forward to at Palo, and I had the frittata with Italian sausage and vegetables. For dessert, I had several small samples of different things – the panna cotta was especially yummy!

100_2885.jpg

100_2886.jpg

After Palo, we slowly wandered around deck 10 enjoying the scenery.

100_2889.jpg

100_2891.jpg

100_2894.jpg

100_2896.jpg

I love this shot of the Wonder with the mountains in the background. (You might see it from a couple different angles – sorry about that!)

100_2897.jpg

100_2898.jpg

The Cove Café (coffee bar) from the outside:
100_2902.jpg

And the lanterns I have a fascination with. (We learned on our last cruise that one is always lit both forward and aft.)
100_2906.jpg

100_2907.jpg

100_2911.jpg

We stopped at the Disney Vacation Club presentation; sadly we didn’t win the door prize. We wandered a little on deck 4, then found our way over to bingo. I got to stand twice (you stand up when you only need one number to win), but didn’t win. Maybe tomorrow!

100_2915.jpg

100_2919.jpg

100_2920.jpg

100_2921.jpg

One of the barges:
100_2922.jpg

100_2926.jpg

100_2938.jpg

After Bingo, we went back to the stateroom to get ready for the evening.
100_2945.jpg

100_2947.jpg

The evening show was the Golden Mickeys – an awards show where Disney movies have been nominated for several categories – heroes, friends, and my personal favorite – best heroine of a musical set in ancient China, circa the 14th century (Mulan). On the way to the show, I noticed that Goofy had almost no line – so we hopped in for hugs and pictures!
100_2948b.jpg

100_2948a.jpg

We slid into our seats about 5 minutes before show time. “Rona Rivers” was interviewing guests as they arrived on the red carpet before the show and she asked one little girl who her favorite princess is – and received “Pluto!” for an answer.

After the show, we found the Cadillac Lounge. We chose two lovely leather chairs by a huge porthole and ordered drinks: Mom had the Pomegranate Passion – pomegranate liquor, passion fruit puree and Tattinger champagne; I had Le Gran Bleu – Grey Goose vodka, Grand Marnier, blue curacao, fresh lime juice and Tattinger champagne. They were both wonderful and yummy!
100_2949.jpg

While enjoying our drinks – Mom spotted a spout – and the next time, after the spout, there was a tail! She found a humpback! You should have seen everyone in the bar, the sound level went up and everyone was so excited. Our previously serene piano bar was a beehive of activity for the next five minutes!

Dinner was the Golden Mickey menu in Parrot Cay. We had a delightful conversation with the table next to ours – she’s a professional belly dancer (evidently quite good, her instructor took her to Egypt to dance in a convention that her instructor was helping to teach at) and he’s a musician.
Dinner was nice; Mom definitely had the better meal. We both had the fried cheese ravioli and broccoli and blue cheese soup. I had the gnocchi in cheese sauce – both were very, very heavy. Mom had the Yachtsman Steakhouse Strip Steak – which she said was wonderful!! For dessert she had the crème Brule and I had the triple strawberry sundae (strawberry ice cream with strawberry smoothie poured over the top and strawberry topping. Oh, and Mom had coffee with Baileys and the Baileys came in this really cool glass, it looks like a beaker on a stem. After dinner, I was so tired; we didn’t even go out on deck to walk around. Just straight back to the room for bed!

I've cruised the Mexican Riviera twice during whale season and now Alaska and I haven't seen a whale. I obviously am not spending enough time watching. Although. on Tracy Arm day, I sat on deck 9 freezing my tush off from 11 am until 4 pm staring out the window and didn't see anything more than an eagle... Maybe the whales knew I was coming and hid?

I'm enjoying your TR and photos. Over 2 months yet before our Alaska cruise! Can't wait!

Loving the TR! May I ask what category room you had? We have a 5E for our cruise next July, and as of today, I am 13 months out and am officially in planning mode...

hi all! thanks for the kind comments! I appreciate reading them!

twindaddy, we ended up with a 4c (I believe, I know for sure it was a 4, but I may have the wrong letter. It was 8042.)

And now - part 1 of what should have been Tracy Arm day!!

We woke around 7:30, got our act together, then headed to Triton’s for a lovely sit-down breakfast! Eric from the UK took excellent care of us and we enjoyed a delightful meal. Afterwards, we bundled up and headed to deck 10 for some sightseeing. And for this Texas girl it is COLD!!!! Cold, cold, cold!!

100_2954.jpg

100_2956.jpg

But the mountains are beautiful. They’re snow-capped and in the distance, a little foggy.

100_2964.jpg

100_2962.jpg

100_2959.jpg

100_2957.jpg

Mom gave it up after a little bit, but I stayed out another 5 minutes or so for pictures, and then quickly followed her back to the stateroom, by way of the hot chocolate dispenser.

100_2952.jpg

We enjoyed the view from our stateroom for a while, we had the door open, but sat inside in the room where it was warm – only going outside when we thought we saw different creatures. And once – we did! We saw otter! WooHoo!! (Yes, those little dots in the water are otter heads, thankyouverymuch!)

100_2975.jpg

Click to play the video:

Off to bingo – where I’m pleased to announce I won! I won the third game on the fifth number called! (It had to be a diagonal line.) $270!

100_2952b.jpg

After bingo, we went back to the room for a few minutes, then up to Beach Blanket Bingo for lunch. They were grilling out! I got venison sausage (Yum!) and outside on deck they had grills set up with chicken, steak and salmon. I had both chicken and salmon. The chicken was very good and the salmon was nice, but the fish taste did come back to get you. Mom ended up at Pluto’s Dog House and got a hamburger. We brought it back down to the room to eat.

100_2987.jpg

100_2989.jpg

100_2990.jpg

While we were out, the Captain came on to announce that Tracy Arm was too icy still and that the cruise ships haven’t been able to make it all the way down. So he remapped us through the Endicott Arm to see the Dawes glacier.

((Warning – it gets a little picture intense for the next bit! No really, it hasn’t been that intense before now! ))

100_2995.jpg

100_3002.jpg

100_3007.jpg

100_3013.jpg

We’re just about to make a left turn at Albuquerq... Um Endicott Arm… We’ll travel down the river-looking area that comes into view in this video:

100_3022.jpg

100_3081a.jpg

We made it up through the ice flows (sadly, we didn’t see any bears, eagles or mountain goats). We’re surrounded by humongous mountains and the stillness is only broken by the clomping and chair dragging from the pool deck right above us. Actually, I thought it interesting –you can hear the water lap on the ice flows. If you close your eyes and pretend you’re not wearing 18 layers of winter clothes, you’d think you were at the beach from the sounds.

100_3034.jpg

100_3038.jpg

IMG

We did see an ice flow flip over – Mom heard the naturalist say that if a flow was the glacial blue that meant it had flipped over within the last 4-6 hours. Any longer than that and they look white. We finally reached the glacier around 3:45 – it’s huge. As we arrived at the glacier, the sun came back out. I saw a splash right by the glacier – I think from a calving, but no actual ice falling. We went straight at the glacier and got much closer than I thought we would. Maybe ½ mile, 1 mile away? Then, the captain slowly spun the Wonder so the port side had a straight on view. Then, very slowly, he spun the ship back the way we came so the starboard side also got a nice long look.

100_3037.jpg

100_3052.jpg

And a video sweep of the view from our verandah:

Even the crew were out on the Captain’s lookout for the view!
100_3047.jpg

100_3053.jpg

From there, we headed back up the fjord.

100_3056.jpg

100_3058.jpg

100_3065.jpg

100_3070.jpg

100_3073.jpg

Mom laid down for a nap and I went out to deck four to see if you could tell a difference in the ice flows by being closer. (Note the lovely necklace I’m wearing!! Thank you so much to the Wagner’s for the great fish extender gift!)

100_3022a.jpg

100_3078.jpg

It’s a sea monster!!

100_3081.jpg

You could see much more detail on them. While out on deck, I found seals! Just like in the pictures - relaxing on ice flows!

100_3083.jpg

100_3084.jpg

100_3085.jpg

On my way back to the stateroom, I stopped in the atrium to see “Dangerous Catch” Mickey.

100_3099a.jpg

100_3107.jpg

100_3110.jpg

100_3113.jpg

Look how smooth the water is – the only movement is our wake.

100_3115.jpg

After a while, we went to play Bingo but sadly, no winning this time. For dinner, we decided to go to Beach Blanket Buffet – it was still a couple of hours until our dining time and Mom wanted their porterhouse steak.

100_3120.jpg

Sadly, the meal was less than stellar. We couldn’t walk between the tables without having to move chairs, the salad bar was hard to reach and the lettuce was white with very little green, our glasses were not addressed until after we had finished our entrees and Mom’s porterhouse had a strange sauce on it and was overdone. Feeling slightly out of sorts after the less-than-satisfying meal, we headed down to the Cadillac Lounge. Where we made the mistake of trying different drinks – both of which look identical – and we’re still not sure if the waitress gave us the right drinks (especially since she came back later and asked us why we had switched drinks – and we hadn’t, we were drinking the ones she gave us) – and neither were especially good. At this point, we decided that maybe it was time to call it a night. We went back to the room, played a little skipbo and watched some classic Disney cartoons.

I missed the annoucement by the Captain about the glacier. I did wonder why all the photos said Endicot Arm on them!

Your pictures are wonderful! I can't believe that there is somewhere so naturally beautiful and we are lucky enough to experience!

Sorry your dinner wasn't has wonderful, it stinks when you are looking forward to something and it's not what you expect.

I love your picture with Mickey too! How were the lines inside the atrium to do pics with the characters in there alaska gear? Did you see them up on deck when you were taking pics?

Thanks again for sharing!

Barb

I missed the annoucement by the Captain about the glacier. I did wonder why all the photos said Endicot Arm on them!

We were in the right place at the right time. Had we stepped into Beach Blanketk, I'm sure we couldn't have heard the announcements over the noise - but we were still outside with the 'wipey, wipey' handcleaning cloths, so we stayed to listen.

Your pictures are wonderful! I can't believe that there is somewhere so naturally beautiful and we are lucky enough to experience!

Sorry your dinner wasn't has wonderful, it stinks when you are looking forward to something and it's not what you expect.

I love your picture with Mickey too! How were the lines inside the atrium to do pics with the characters in there alaska gear? Did you see them up on deck when you were taking pics?

Thanks again for sharing!

Barb

Thanks for the compliments! The line for Mickey wasn't bad at the time I went by - I waited maybe 5 minutes - I got there just before he did. :thumbsup2 I never saw the characters up on deck, and when I asked a photographer about it, she said they had all gone inside already. It was starting to rain, so that may have been why - Mickey would have been fine in his gear, but Minnie's fur trim would have suffered...

I should say - we saw the characters, but never planned on going to see them. When we saw them it would be when we were walking by and happened to notice them out and the line wasn't bad. Or like with Mickey - I happened to be walking through the Atrium, saw a fairly short line, checked the board and hopped in when I realized it was Mr. M.

Love the report so far! I was wondering... what camera did you use? What was your zoom reach? Thanks so much!

Yay...an update to your TR! I've been watching for it. Thanks for sharing the gorgeous photos!

Thanks to everyone who's reading along!! I appreciate hearing from you!:flower3:

Love the report so far! I was wondering... what camera did you use? What was your zoom reach? Thanks so much!

I have a point and shoot - anKodak Easyshare Z981. It has a tone of zoom, 26x. I generally leave it on automatic, then use Photoshop Elements 9 for post-processing. But nothing really fancy - straightening the pics, lightening or darkening, cropping, that kind of thing. I love my camera! Thanks, Mom!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter