You've got to be kidding me! Just received our paperwork.

abdmom

DIS Veteran
I just received the paperwork for Viva Italia today. So, I'm eagerly reading through and....Aack!

FAQ #17

"What if Adventures by Disney cancels the adventure prior to departure?

Adventures by Disney reserves the right to cancel a trip at any time prior to its commencement FOR ANY REASON, such as if there are too few Guests, or if the quality of the trip or the safety of the Guests would in our opinion, be compromised ...... "

It goes on to say that they'll try to book you on a different trip and if not, refund your money.

I'm not willing to take the chance that they'll cancel my trip within a few weeks of departure.:headache: Sorry, ABD, you've lost a customer. Tauck Bridges has a similar trip, I'm off to book with them.

It looks like I'm going to have to change my Disboard screen name. :surfweb: :idea: Maybe "Tauckmom" ? :confused:

Just got off the phone with one of the ABD supervisors. "Oh, but the 70 day guarantee is on our website and that's binding." I don't think so. :rotfl:

Read your paperwork carefully. I've cancelled my ABD.

Just got off the phone with one of the ABD supervisors. "Oh, but the 70 day guarantee is on our website and that's binding." I don't think so. :rotfl:

Read your paperwork carefully. I've cancelled my ABD.
Seriously! They can change the website at any time! You need it *in writing* on the paperwork they sent you. That's ridiculous to tell you the website is binding! They need to decide what the policy is, and have it CONSISTANT! There's no excuse for that.

Sayhello

Seriously! They can change the website at any time! You need it *in writing* on the paperwork they sent you. That's ridiculous to tell you the website is binding! They need to decide what the policy is, and have it CONSISTANT! There's no excuse for that.

Sayhello

:confused:I cant see how a website writing can be binding.:confused3

Yep, they've just lost me as a customer not just for the absence of the 70 day guarantee, but for trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

Yep, they've just lost me as a customer not just for the absence of the 70 day guarantee, but for trying to pull the wool over my eyes.
I'm hoping you told them that when you called to cancel! They need to know that kind of stuff!

Sayhello

That is surprising as I would imagine many people have booked airfare or made other arrangements tied to this travel that would be impacted if they canceled late.

It is one thing if there was something really significant like a major natural disaster/catastrophy that could cause a change, but they should know well before the last minute if they have an issue with too few people.

Does anyone know how often they've ever had to cancel an ABD trip?

That is surprising as I would imagine many people have booked airfare or made other arrangements tied to this travel that would be impacted if they canceled late.

It is one thing if there was something really significant like a major natural disaster/catastrophy that could cause a change, but they should know well before the last minute if they have an issue with too few people.

Does anyone know how often they've ever had to cancel an ABD trip?
In 2009, they over-expanded, and actually cancelled quite a few trips (including my Canadian Rockies tour). Now, most of those were cancelled several months in advance (mine was 3 months in advance). I don't know how many might have been cancelled at the last moment.

But it's the whole idea that they retain the right to do that.... They changed the policy for 2010, so that they wouldn't cancel any trip less than 85 days before it starts. This year, it was reduced to 70 days. But the fact that the paperwork does not mention the 70 days, and in fact says they can cancel any time up until it starts... I can totally understand why abdmom was hesitant. I was kind of freaking out last year until I was into the "no cancellation" time period. Especially since I had signed up for the cruise to go with the ABD, and if they cancelled the ABD, refunds did not include the cruise... So I'd have to make a quick decision on whether to take the cruise without the ABD, or cancel the cruise.

Long way around to say they *have* cancelled trips. Lots of them. Other trips have gone with a small number. It seems to be fairly random, and those of us who lived through it are a bit gun shy.

(By the way, ABD does pay for changes to airfare if your trip is canceled and you book a different trip. But it doesn't really help if that's the only week in which you can take your vacation, or if you booked pre- or post- trip accommodations or activities that aren't refundable.)

Sayhello

I haven't heard of any trips being cancelled. I think the wording in my packet that I received had the # of days guarantee in it, but ABD did reserve the right to cancel if it was there was any danger involved. When I went to Italy, the Iceland Volcano was erupting and flights were being cancelled all over Europe. ABD was also making a last minute decision on whether or not to cancel any trips. Fortunately, the volcano had slowed down, we go over there and then just caused us headaches on the way home. ABD did everything in their power to make us at ease while all this was going on.

abdmom, I'd probably find out how many people are on your trip before canceling. I'm sure ABD isn't going to cancel trips just to cancel them. The Italy trips are VERY popular and mostly full from what I understand.

I haven't heard of any trips being cancelled. I think the wording in my packet that I received had the # of days guarantee in it, but ABD did reserve the right to cancel if it was there was any danger involved. When I went to Italy, the Iceland Volcano was erupting and flights were being cancelled all over Europe. ABD was also making a last minute decision on whether or not to cancel any trips. Fortunately, the volcano had slowed down, we go over there and then just caused us headaches on the way home. ABD did everything in their power to make us at ease while all this was going on.

abdmom, I'd probably find out how many people are on your trip before canceling. I'm sure ABD isn't going to cancel trips just to cancel them. The Italy trips are VERY popular and mostly full from what I understand.

Uh, yes, many trips cancelled. For random reasons boiling down to ABD wants to save money. My 2009 trip was mostly full when they cancelled it, because they wanted to avoid hiring another set of guides - trip would have overlapped with another. Instead, they switched everyone around, ran the one set of guides back-to-back for many trips, and the result was exhausted guides and a less-than-magical rescheduled trip for us.

wow, now I don't feel so bad about knowing I'll never be able to afford one of these trips;)

The trip I was looking at was Viva Italia. They have many, many dates available. Kristilew's scenario is why I was concerned. What's to prevent them from deciding to combine two trips if neither one is at capacity? I was looking at this particular date because it dovetailed with my cruise plans. Changing to a date a week earlier or later would have screwed that up. With 20+ trips scheduled, I doubt that mine is anywhere near capacity right now. Who knows what it will be 12 months from now? :confused3 My first (and probably only) ABD trip, I booked only about 8 weeks in advance. I had to pull the kids out of school for the last 2 days of school. None of the other trips had availability. I was told that my trip had 38 people on it. Well, when it left, it had 33. :confused3 We also had a couple of glitches - there happened to be an earthquake just before our trip, so we missed the pandas. ABD did try to arrange something to replace it, but it didn't come off quite so well. The food also wasn't to my taste - too Westernized for someone who lived with a Cantonese dh for 20+ years.

In any case, I've been scouring other tour companies. A&K is not as expensive as I would have thought. I think that I will go with Tauck though. They don't have their 2011 prices available yet, but they do have some dates, along with the itineraries. One of their dates would fit perfectly with my cruise and another date is pretty close. Their 2010 prices were better/almost the same as ABD's. They also have a special currently where they will give a FREE pre or post night stay. For those of you who've travelled with Tauck previously, they'll give TWO FREE nights.

Having been scheduled for one of the 2009 trips that was cancelled, I can totally understand your concern, abdmom. No first hand experience with the Tauck Italy trip, but there were two very well traveled families on our T-B Yosemite trip this summer who had done the Italy trip and said it was fantastic. If that's what you decide, I hope you enjoy it as much as they did. Good luck with your planning!

I would check the fine print in most trips. They are set up to cover the companies if they cancel for any reason. Having both land tours and also cruises canceled for various reasons it is very frustrating but is part of companies covering their expenses and they are in business to make money. Dig deep in most contracts then Disney is not much different than other companies. I'm sure hypothetically you would expect ABD to cancel and refund your money if the area you were going to tour suffered a major catastrophe such as an earthquake as in Haiti. Wishing you a wonderful trip no matter whom you choose.:)

This thread has caused me to loose interest in ABD. The trips are already quite expensive for a family of 4. And we are not likely to book our airfare through Disney for a trip like this vs handling it ourselves to use a combination of paying for airfare at a better rate and freq flier miles. It would be rather disruptive to have them cancel after we lock in like this or last minute. For a big vacation like this, I also wouldn't want to have it hanging over me wondering if they could cancel anytime they wanted. I am surprised at this policy and it seems they have put all the risk and burden on us to book a vacation with them given these terms.

I'm a big Disney fan and we've been to WDW many times, took our first cruise to Europe on Disney this spring and already booked 2 more cruises for next year with Disney. I've wondered about these vacations for a few years but its alot of money to spend for one vacation and after reading this of experiences - hard to want to really consider these vacations now.

What is the policy now for when you cancel a trip re the deposit you have put down? Over a year ago or so I cancelled an ABD and I lost my deposit for all four of us (it was $1200 total I believe!). Disney would not transfer the deposit to another trip either. I would like to do the Egypt but am very nervous now about booking.

Uh, yes, many trips cancelled. For random reasons boiling down to ABD wants to save money. My 2009 trip was mostly full when they cancelled it, because they wanted to avoid hiring another set of guides - trip would have overlapped with another. Instead, they switched everyone around, ran the one set of guides back-to-back for many trips, and the result was exhausted guides and a less-than-magical rescheduled trip for us.

I apologize...I meant to say I haven't heard of any 2010 trips being cancelled. I was aware that there were numerous 2009 trips cancelled.

I apologize...I meant to say I haven't heard of any 2010 trips being cancelled. I was aware that there were numerous 2009 trips cancelled.

When I called yesterday, ABD told me that they had cancelled one of the 2010 Peru tours on 3 days notice, due to the mudslides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter