You're kidding right? First (and last) time doing Online Checkin

amyngary

Mouseketeer
I leave tonight for my first trip as a solo adult with three (special needs) kids (not my first Disney trip, just my first time going sans husband). Our flight arrives at 11:35pm, so I was a bit nervous about arriving and getting to the room quickly to get the kids to sleep, especially since we have to get our own luggage at the airport (not sure how I'll deal with the luggage with three grumpy kids, but that's another story). Therefore, I finally decided to try Online checkin. We have a 1-BR at Kidani for four nights, so I requested "near the lobby". I received a text at 7:30am saying my room is ready... room 7875... which is literally the farthest-away-from-the-lobby 1-BR possible. Did I mention that I'm travelling alone with three kids? And all of my kids are special needs kids? The text included a phone number, which I promptly called and was told (not very nicely) "we can't help you with that - once you do online checkin, you have to wait until you arrive to make changes". Since we arrive so late on a busy week, I am concerned there won't be any other rooms available by then (not to mention the original reason I did online checkin).

So, I called Member Services hoping for some help. The lady was very nice and put me on hold while she spoke to AKL reservations, who told her they have no other rooms available. She did say I can check back in the morning about moving rooms, which I may try, but that adds more logistics stress with luggage and our first FP being at MK at 9:30am.

Is it crazy that I had to hold back tears? I am a confident person, and I know I can make this a fun trip, but it's not starting out so well. I just needed to vent for a minute... back to your regularly scheduled programming (unless anyone has any ideas for a way to fix this) :-)

We stopped doing online check in for this reason too. We had to wait longer and got worse rooms then just checking in at the desk. Maybe it was just luck of the draw but who knows. Sending you positive vibes and wishing you a great trip!

Have you been able to call the AKL front desk directly?

One big issue is that at Kidani, everyone requests "near lobby" because it's so big. It's one of those very common requests that cannot be universally accommodated.

I know this doesn't make it easier or better, but it's a challenge with some of those requests. In the future, I would definitely make sure you put a request through MS, include the information about medical need, and leave the online checkin requests blank when using online check in.

I leave tonight for my first trip as a solo adult with three (special needs) kids (not my first Disney trip, just my first time going sans husband). Our flight arrives at 11:35pm, so I was a bit nervous about arriving and getting to the room quickly to get the kids to sleep, especially since we have to get our own luggage at the airport (not sure how I'll deal with the luggage with three grumpy kids, but that's another story). Therefore, I finally decided to try Online checkin. We have a 1-BR at Kidani for four nights, so I requested "near the lobby". I received a text at 7:30am saying my room is ready... room 7875... which is literally the farthest-away-from-the-lobby 1-BR possible. Did I mention that I'm travelling alone with three kids? And all of my kids are special needs kids? The text included a phone number, which I promptly called and was told (not very nicely) "we can't help you with that - once you do online checkin, you have to wait until you arrive to make changes". Since we arrive so late on a busy week, I am concerned there won't be any other rooms available by then (not to mention the original reason I did online checkin).

So, I called Member Services hoping for some help. The lady was very nice and put me on hold while she spoke to AKL reservations, who told her they have no other rooms available. She did say I can check back in the morning about moving rooms, which I may try, but that adds more logistics stress with luggage and our first FP being at MK at 9:30am.

Is it crazy that I had to hold back tears? I am a confident person, and I know I can make this a fun trip, but it's not starting out so well. I just needed to vent for a minute... back to your regularly scheduled programming (unless anyone has any ideas for a way to fix this) :-)
I'm not sure this is an online check in issue as much as it is a general villa assignment issue. Requests are not guaranteed and not getting them is the nature of the beast. If you change rooms they'll likely charge you in this situation.

Sorry that your trip is off to a not great stop. I don't see this as an online check in issue. The problem is probably because this is a very busy week and your arrival time is very late. Rooms are assigned a few days before you arrive and near the lobby is probably the #1 request AKL gets since it is massive. It is quite possible they really don't have another room and unfortunately this is the room you got.

If you were assigned a room in your preferred location and didn't complete on-line check-in, your room can be reassigned to another guest prior to your actual arrival at the resort.

If you were assigned a room in your preferred location and you received the room number via text, they can't reassign your room because it's considered occupied already since you have the room number.

I feel your pain OP. Last year in a 1 BR we had a room in the furthest away group and the medical needs of my party was noted on the reservation(one with rheumatoid arthritis causing walking problems, another was on crutches). We won't stay at Kidani again as 2 times in the past 2 years we've received crappy room assignments.

Thanks all for commiserating. I know that room requests are only requests. And I also know that "near lobby" is the most common request at AKL. I'm not angry with the CMs about this... I'm just stressed about the logistics of this trip.

But seriously, I have to wonder if literally EVERY person who is going to Kidani for a 1BR made a room request in advance - I guess it's possible, but if not, it's pretty ironic... like someone thought it would be funny to put me as far from both lobbies as humanly possible.

I often do not receive the room requests I make and am fine with it. I am an eternal optimist and always make lemonade when given lemons (at least I'll get lots of exercise and practice telling my kids to be quiet since people may be sleeping while we walk through the halls, right?). I just needed to vent to people who would understand my frustration about this. I know once we get to MK tomorrow, all will be right with the world. Again, I was just having a bad moment. Thanks for listening.

Thanks all for commiserating. I know that room requests are only requests. And I also know that "near lobby" is the most common request at AKL. I'm not angry with the CMs about this... I'm just stressed about the logistics of this trip.

But seriously, I have to wonder if literally EVERY person who is going to Kidani for a 1BR made a room request in advance - I guess it's possible, but if not, it's pretty ironic... like someone thought it would be funny to put me as far from both lobbies as humanly possible.

I often do not receive the room requests I make and am fine with it. I am an eternal optimist and always make lemonade when given lemons (at least I'll get lots of exercise and practice telling my kids to be quiet since people may be sleeping while we walk through the halls, right?). I just needed to vent to people who would understand my frustration about this. I know once we get to MK tomorrow, all will be right with the world. Again, I was just having a bad moment. Thanks for listening.
Don't stress out too much. Grab a luggage cart in the airport to assist with moving your stuff from baggage claim to the DME area. Once you arrive at AKV, have someone from bell services take your luggage to your room. When it's time to leave, have bell services pick up your luggage and take it to the RAC for you.

If there's any positives to be had from this, your villa is far from the lobby. Anyone close to the lobby or elevators is going to hear everyone heading back to their rooms. Your part of the resort will be fairly quiet. I know that I'm in the minority, but I frequently request "far from elevator" when I book a room because I don't want to hear people tracking outside my door as they head back to their room at night or get an early start in the morning.

Have a wonderful trip!

Just wanted to encourage you. I took both of my DSs by myself when they were 4 and 2. I felt like I did this all the at home (grocery, zoo, shopping). I could do it there! Everything wa fine until I took the, to MNSSHP. I didn't factor carrying the 2 year old, a double stroller and a sleepy 4 year old on and off the bus. I received lots of help from other guests. It was a great vacation!

Late arrival can be a killer when it comes to room requests. Some people actually make their reservation for a day earlier to improve their chances of getting their room request and an extra day to make changes.

:earsboy: Bill

IMO this is one of the areas where DVC could easily make improvements. There's no formal system for requests anymore. In the distant past they prioritized by date of reservation but now they don't have any formal system. Some resorts put effort into the requests, others don't. It's a shame that the areas where DVC falls down are consistently things that wouldn't require much or any more work to do well, just initiative and leadership. Still, someone has to get that room or the dumpster view, etc. Having seen a number of inappropriate rants by members and having seen many more reported here and elsewhere, I can see where they'd give up. IMO they should give realistic expectations, prioritize requests and put an effort into it. But then have a backbone when someone complains.

IMO this is one of the areas where DVC could easily make improvements. There's no formal system for requests anymore. In the distant past they prioritized by date of reservation but now they don't have any formal system. Some resorts put effort into the requests, others don't. It's a shame that the areas where DVC falls down are consistently things that wouldn't require much or any more work to do well, just initiative and leadership. Still, someone has to get that room or the dumpster view, etc. Having seen a number of inappropriate rants by members and having seen many more reported here and elsewhere, I can see where they'd give up. IMO they should give realistic expectations, prioritize requests and put an effort into it. But then have a backbone when someone complains.

DVC has little to do with room requests. It's the resort , a different business unit that assigns the rooms. I have had MS tell me that I might want to contact the resort directly because I would have better luck than they do. DVC is just the middle man who I get the feeling isn't cared for by the resorts.

I'm not sure this is an online check in issue as much as it is a general villa assignment issue.

Exactly. If you hadn't done online checkin you probably would have gotten the exact same room. It's not like a better room would have sat there between 6am and when you get there.

Don't stress out too much. Grab a luggage cart in the airport to assist with moving your stuff from baggage claim to the DME area.

Oh gosh just get a porter! They are at baggage claim wanting to work and help you! Big huge carts, they generally get the bags for you, they walk you over to dme, and ours have waited for us to get to the front of the line before transferring bags to our driver. Porters are well worth the tips.

Then when you get to the resort have them get you a bell services person to help you more.

DVC has little to do with room requests. It's the resort , a different business unit that assigns the rooms. I have had MS tell me that I might want to contact the resort directly because I would have better luck than they do. DVC is just the middle man who I get the feeling isn't cared for by the resorts.

That's true but it's because DVC doesn't give them formal directions or expectations and doesn't give instructions/discipline when things are done poorly. It has to be done by individuals at the resort level but if every resort is left to their own choices, you get what you now have. Marriott gives formal direction but the resorts each have limited flexibility. For example, at Marriott's Grande Ocean for high demand times, everyone wants a high floor for view reasons. So the resort tracks it and alternates a high view with mid level view EOY. They assign villas based on the following priority: Owners using their villa, Cash guests, other Marriott owners/exchangers(including trust points), and non Marriott exchangers with those having multiple villas or weeks getting first dibs within their group. Some Marriott's add a few nuances in such as owners at that resort staying some way other than the week they own but these are the exception.

While we personally do not ever make any requests other than "high floor" and have only had a room that we really disliked because of location only one time since 2001....at BCV on second floor right above the entry door....I felt like our balcony and the one next door were the same balcony because they literally were joined at an angle. However, that said, the past few years have brought more and more renters who are very knowledgable about DVC resort room layouts. I can't help but feel a little peeved about the fact that owners get the less desirable rooms in some cases. I really wish there was a way DVC could determine owners from renters and assign rooms accordingly.

While we personally do not ever make any requests other than "high floor" and have only had a room that we really disliked because of location only one time since 2001....at BCV on second floor right above the entry door....I felt like our balcony and the one next door were the same balcony because they literally were joined at an angle. However, that said, the past few years have brought more and more renters who are very knowledgable about DVC resort room layouts. I can't help but feel a little peeved about the fact that owners get the less desirable rooms in some cases. I really wish there was a way DVC could determine owners from renters and assign rooms accordingly.
My view is that preference should be actively addressed in the order of Owner at that resort (inc guests/renters), Cash guests, DVC owner exchanging from another DVC resort, RCI/BVTC exchanger. But unless they hear enough negatives about it or see a financial impact, it's not going to change, esp when they've already changed historically from some effort to almost no effort going into requests.

I don't think this has anything to do with online check in and I don't think you would have gotten a different room if you hadn't done it

Almost everyone asks for close to lobby so if it one of the requests that has the least chance of being filled.

We find at Kidani we always request close to ZAzu elevator as it makes the walk to Jambi less than 5 minutes and we have always got it

Also we make out requests on the DVC system the minute we book and find that increases our chances we don't make any requests during online check in

Try and not sweat it it will be a long walk to the room but once you are there you are at Disney

We never get our room requests and always check in at the front desk. I always submit them to MS early on & sometimes I get very specific (bldg #'s / room #'s etc. - but always lots of them not like just 1 or 2 so that there are options). Never works. I have serious doubts it would make any difference with online check in. And I agree that arriving later rather than earlier is the kiss of death with requests. We TRY to arrive as early as possible in the day but it doesn't necessarily help. Sorry - hope you were able to work it all out & deal with it somewhat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter