• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

your first Disney World vacation

My first trip was in 1989, at 7 years old.

My husband's first trip was in 2007, at 25 years old. He grew up poor and vacations just weren't a thing. I can remember him being absolutely blown away that the characters mouths were moving as we watched the show in front of the castle.

My oldest sons first trip was in 2013, at 13 months old.

My youngest sons first trip was in 2018, at 16 months old.

I'm a teacher and have had plenty of kids who have never been. I tell them that they are never too old for their first trip.

Never been. I did go to Miami (first couple of days in the Keys) once where I knew there might be a storm hitting. My dad suggested maybe going to Disney World instead for a couple of days and then coming back to Miami after the storm had passed. Instead I checked in early to my hotel in Miami and then waited out the storm, which was loud but not that bad. Heard that Disney World dealt with a lot rain but didn't even close.

1972 and we stayed at the Polynesian. We were a family of five and had a great time. After being there a day I said this is where I want to have my honeymoon (I was 13).

Well, in 1979 my husband and I had our honeymoon at the Poly. I still have the invoice for that trip and a Lagoon View room was only $65.00 per night!!!

Been to WDW at least once but usually more each year. Going with some of our grandkids in September.

MJ

My first trip was 1985 for Christmas at just a few weeks old. Apparently I was such a quiet baby that my parents forgot I was even there until my older brother reminded them about 30 years later. First trip the rest of us remembered was camping at Fort Wilderness the summer of 1989. My dd’s first trip was also at a few weeks old right before the covid shut-down

1975 maybe 1976, I was 2-3 years old. I have no memory, but my mom tells a story where I was allowed on space mountain, in my grandmother’s lap, and she let go and I fell forward into the next seat. Don’t know if it is true, but maybe…My daughter’s first trip was also at 2, in 2012.

Last edited:
Sometime in 1974, when I was 2.

My mother loves to tell the story of me refusing to get off the carousel. She told me that we didn't have another ticket for me to ride it. I looked at her with all the authority a toddler can have, put my hands on my hips and said to her "Well, get more tickets!"

:rotfl:

My first trip to WDW that I actually remember was December 2015.

Between Christmas and New Year's 1985. It was uncharacteristically cold and Disney started selling the 15th anniversary sweatshirts early. I was 4 years old. Spend one day at MK, went on two rides, I only remember Dumbo.
My wife's first trip was October 2009, it was my second trip, she was 24 and it was our honeymoon. In the 14 years we've been married I can only remember two or three smiles as big as the one when I drove her under the welcome arch the first time.

Hi there! My name's Sean! I'm 32 years old, and I've got autism. Even though I've never been to Florida, but what year did you take your first vacation to Disney World? :)

Thanks! :)
Sean :)
October of 1972 for me . Stayed at the Dutch Inn, which is now Wyndham Lake Buena Vista Resort on hotel plaza blvd. I remember thinking it was such a cool hotel cause they had a store in the lobby. It had just opened that month so the new was still on it. Also remember one of the first couple hotel on the left of hotel plaza blvd was a Howard Johnson. It had one of the HoJo restaraunts out front. I ordered a grape soda (thinking Nehi or Fanta) but ended up with grape juice (like welch's) I like grape juice now but back then did not so it was a shock.

Last edited:
March of 1972 -- six months after it opened. We went for two weeks that year and I have been for two to three weeks per year almost every year since...only missing a few years in all that time. It definitely feels like a second home now and watching it grow and change along the way has been very interesting.
October of 1972 for me. 8-) Been lots more since. Going back in October this year

Last edited:
My first trip I was 6 (1987) and we stayed at the Poly. I’ve been every year since. We visited MK, Epcot and sea world on that first trip. In the very early ‘90s my parents bought into DVC and we stayed at OKW for several years, going down yearly as a large family group (me, my parents and siblings, grandparents, aunt and cousin). My parents would usually get a grand villa and a 2 bedroom to house us all. Once other DVC resorts started opening we started staying at them as well and when I was a married adult I bought into DVC myself. Now I have 5 kids and my dh, kids and I travel down with my parents every year for 2 weeks. I have so many memories from over all the years there, and every time I visit I create new ones.

Hi there! My name's Sean! I'm 32 years old, and I've got autism. Even though I've never been to Florida, but what year did you take your first vacation to Disney World? :)

Thanks! :).
Sean :)

April 1994. I took my oldest daughter. I don't' have a single photo from that trip. I remember have a camcorder and a kodak camera but the photos and film have been long lost.. UGH!!!! . We went to Magic Kingdom one day, then to MGM (Hollywood Studios) the next day.. then we came home. It was a short trip but still one of my favorites.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter