Your favorite resort for a non-parks trip?

snoopy5386

DIS Veteran
Next year we are planning our first (mostly) non-parks DVC stay. We're planning on visiting legoland, doing one day in the parks and maybe one day each at the water parks over 6-7 days/5-6 nights. Otherwise we plan to enjoy our resort, swim quite a lot, take in activities, play mini golf, visit DTD, resort hop, etc. All the relaxing activities we never have time for on a normal trip. We'll have two girls who will be 9 and 5 at the time of the trip and we'll have a rental car. What's your favorite resort to stay at for a relaxing non-parks trip? We'll be spending more time in the room than ever before this trip so that's an important factor. We've only ever stayed at AKV and BCV and we may be staying at OKW this fall.....

We stayed at AKL in 2011 non parks....just BB and DTD....had a great time. We own a BLT and that is a great spot.....
The BLT/CR is a great complex.....lake front, water rentals....3 pools...great restaurants....plus you can take a boat or monorail to Poly, WL and GF....there is a lot to see and do...:thumbsup2

I agree that BLT would be a great option and so would BCV with SAB and all of the wonderful food options that you have there, plus you can walk to Fantasia Gardens mini golf. Oh and don't forget that BW is right across the way which is fun to go to at night :goodvibes.

All the relaxing activities we never have time for on a normal trip. We'll have two girls who will be 9 and 5 at the time of the trip and we'll have a rental car. What's your favorite resort to stay at for a relaxing non-parks trip?

Have you considered Aulani?

For "non-parks" or "one park day only" style trips, we have stayed at both VWL and AKL, both were great. VWL is great when you are traveling with children because you can go hiking, ride bikes, or take a boat ride to MK which makes it easier to resort hop, etc. We had so much fun on our first "one park only" trip that we now make sure we schedule several non-park days.

Kate

We just got back a week ago from a non-park trip and we stayed at SSR. Had a great time just being away from the cold and snow at home. Hung out and enjoyed the resort. Walking the beautiful grounds was great exercise. Easy access to DTD and all the dining options. We would return in a heartbeat and do it all over again.

What's your favorite resort to stay at for a relaxing non-parks trip?
Aulani and Vero Beach top my list for this category but if you must be at WDW, then my favorite would be the Treehouse Villas for a true sense of 'getaway.'

We did a mostly park-less trip in 2011 at OKW and are currently on a park-less trip which included 5N at AKL along with a trip to Vero beach followed by a night at the BW. Both places were very nice for park-less.

Next year we are planning our first (mostly) non-parks DVC stay. We're planning on visiting legoland, doing one day in the parks and maybe one day each at the water parks over 6-7 days/5-6 nights. Otherwise we plan to enjoy our resort, swim quite a lot, take in activities, play mini golf, visit DTD, resort hop, etc. All the relaxing activities we never have time for on a normal trip. We'll have two girls who will be 9 and 5 at the time of the trip and we'll have a rental car. What's your favorite resort to stay at for a relaxing non-parks trip? We'll be spending more time in the room than ever before this trip so that's an important factor. We've only ever stayed at AKV and BCV and we may be staying at OKW this fall.....
In this order. AKV Kidani, AKV Jambo (esp Concierge), BWV, SSR, VWL, BCV then OKW. VGF will likely go in after BWV. It does vary some with whether our grandson is with or us not. IMO there's not a huge spread from top to bottom. However, I must stay that generally we prefer off property for non park trips because of the larger villas, enhanced on site amenities and better activities; esp for the top 3 or 4 Marriott's and The Fountains.

We did a very similar trip in October 2012 when our kids were almost 11 and 8 and had a great time! We did Legoland and Typhoon Lagoon but otherwise just enjoyed the resorts, etc. We spent two nights at OKW and four nights in a THV. We swam at the main pool at OKW (loved the pool activities esp. the ice cream drop and treasure hunt), the Paddock and Springs pools at SSR, and the pool at the THV. The THV was definitely more space than we needed, but at the time they were the same number of points as a 2bd, and we had stayed in one of the former treehouses when I was a kid, and I wanted to take my kids there. We enjoyed Olivia's at OKW for breakfast and dinner. One night (for my birthday) we had drinks at the TOTWL then dinner at the Cali Grill (plus fireworks), and the kids thought that was the best. They loved feeling all grown up. I was afraid we'd miss the parks, but we really didn't. I think it helped that we were removed from sight of the parks for the most part (we did take a bus from OKW to DHS then ferry to the BC for breakfast at Cape May). I'm not sure I would have been as happy staying at say BLT or BWV, knowing that we could walk to a park but we weren't. We're saving those resorts for park trips.

Thanks all! After much thinking, we've narrowed it down a bit - I think we'd want to be at a stand alone resort, being at a resort in view of the parks seems a little torturous, being able to look but not touch! So AKV, SSR, OKW, or maybe VWL. Honestly leaning towards AKV - access to two pools, plus the spray park area, the animal viewing areas and the fact that they have the most recreation activities scheduled each week. Every time we stay there we want to do all that stuff, but never have the time!

We did a 4 day, one park trip and stayed at Kidani. Loved it. That's the trip that my DH decided to buy DVC! So much to do at the resort... Truly felt like another world.

I like OKW! It's close to DTD and all the activities like shuffleboard and ping pong are close to the pool and playground. Plus the rooms are the biggest

I say AKV. It can feel like you are not at Disney at times. They have the cast member presentations at night about their home and the animals to view. Our daughters loved the spray park and were about the ages of yours.

A lot depends on what we are doing that particular stay:
Resort only stay - AKL; BCV; OKW
Parks - BCV; BWV; VWL
Shopping/Going to other than WDW Parks/Last Minute Trip - AKL; OKW; SSR
Touring/Beach/Doing Something Different - VB; HH

AKV as it is my very fave resort for just resort (not considering location). But also OKW and SSR would be good due to proximity to Downtown Disney. We did OKW as resort only for 3 nights once (did go to Seaworld) and I liked it but DH was a bit cranky (cause he couldn't get into WDW parks and he's not a fan of DD). VWL might not be bad. BCV, BWV, BLT and VGF would be tough since you would see, hear and smell the parks but not be able to go into them (my DH would def go nuts).

We just got back a week ago from a non-park trip and we stayed at SSR. Had a great time just being away from the cold and snow at home. Hung out and enjoyed the resort. Walking the beautiful grounds was great exercise. Easy access to DTD and all the dining options. We would return in a heartbeat and do it all over again.

I agree with SSR, I stayed there for a five day non park trip and loved it!
There are multiple pools, excellent gym and spa, and a nice walk to OKW or DTD.

Just got home last night from a 4 night no-park getaway at Kidani, which was perfect. We didn't miss the parks at all, didn't really think about them much due to the isolation of the resort. It was so relaxing that the thought of park touring seemed tedious. There is plenty to do between Kidani and Jambo, we spent several hours walking around and looking at the artwork throughout both resorts. We also spent hours looking at animals from our room and various viewing locations. Having two different pool areas was nice for variety and there are plenty of activities for kids. We ate most meals at the resort at Boma, Sanaa, and The Mara. We did go to Bahama Breeze one night and to Downtown Disney for corn dogs. It was so nice and relaxing, I'm officially converted to no-parks or just a day or two per trip, I think it's a wonderful experience.

I agree with SSR, I stayed there for a five day non park trip and loved it!
There are multiple pools, excellent gym and spa, and a nice walk to OKW or DTD.

Agree! Plenty of pools to enjoy and the proximity to DTD would be great for a non park trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter