YOUR Favorite DVC & Why

Mommiesblessings2

Mouseketeer
Planning to rent points in a few years, but wanted some expert opinions!:thumbsup2

What's your fav and why? I will have 2 adults and 7 and 3 year olds. Stay will be 1 week and I always plan on a day or two at the resort.

Interested in a 1 br for the amenities.

Considering VWL, but also like the convenience of BLT.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions.

Thanks!:cool1:

I haven't visited all the DVC resorts but I am slowing working my way around to complete that goal. Anyway, my home resort is BLT and I do like the convenience of the location and access to transportation options, however if I had to pick one DVC location at WDW it would have to be AKV. For me AKV has all the amenities I like. The property is very appealing, I really enjoy resturants, the pool is nice, animals around the property, I also like the presentation and tours from castmembers around the property.

I haven't visited all the DVC resorts but I am slowing working my way around to complete that goal. Anyway, my home resort is BLT and I do like the convenience of the location and access to transportation options, however if I had to pick one DVC location at WDW it would have to be AKV. For me AKV has all the amenities I like. The property is very appealing, I really enjoy resturants, the pool is nice, animals around the property, I also like the presentation and tours from castmembers around the property.

Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't considered AKV, but will add it to my list.:thumbsup2

For me AKV has all the amenities I like. The property is very appealing, I really enjoy resturants, the pool is nice, animals around the property, I also like the presentation and tours from castmembers around the property.

AKV is also my favorite resort for spending time around the resort. love the restaurants and theming and activities. even when i don't stay there, i plan a trip to boma or jiko so i can see the animals on the savanna.

but i might suggest considering a split stay at BLT/VWL for the MK-focused part of your trip. MK does feel like a long bus ride away from AKV, IMO. (the downside of a split stay is that you wind up "homeless" after you check-out while you are waiting to check-in to the new resort...so it might be worth staying at AKV the whole trip if you are a fairly patient bunch.)

Planning to rent points in a few years, but wanted some expert opinions!:thumbsup2

What's your fav and why? I will have 2 adults and 7 and 3 year olds. Stay will be 1 week and I always plan on a day or two at the resort.

Interested in a 1 br for the amenities.

Considering VWL, but also like the convenience of BLT.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions.

Thanks!:cool1:

What parks, pool user, likes, dislikes?

:earsboy: Bill

Each resort has those who consider it their favorite. I have a preference for Boardwalk Villas because I can get boardwalk view, the best on site, and have walking access to two parks, Epcot and Studios, and to about two dozen restaurants. However, I also own at and like the Animal Kingdom Villas because its theming and design are outstanding, it has the unique attraction of savannas with animals, has large 1 and 2BRs at Kidani with an extra bathroom, has ideal under building parking at Kidani, and has one of the best table service restaurants on site (Sanaa) and one of the best buffet restaurants (Boma). Another resort I have stayed at is Bay Lake Tower which I also like a lot particularly if I can get high floor lake view (which I find superior to its higher cost theme park view). Like AKV Kidani, its 1 and 2BRs are larger than VWL, BCV, SSR and BWV (VGF and OKW are even larger) and like AKV has the extra bathroom in the 1 and 2BRs. You can walk to MK and Chef Mickey's is the best character meal restaurant on site with the most active characters particularly at dinner.

We have stayed at all the east coast DVC resorts except VGF and AKV...we have a trip to AKV in just 9 days (and will see where it falls on the list). Of the ones we've stayed at, here's my order of preference (DH has VWL up higher on the list...like #3 after BCV and BWV):

1- BCV (location, location, location...and quaint/quiet, lots of dining options)

2 (tied)- BWV (next best location but hate long hallways and villas are small)
& OKW (quaint/quiet, large villas, great busing if stay near hospitality house)

3 (tied)- VWL (very quiet but too dark, woodsy and deserted, like boat to MK)
& BLT (great to walk to MK, lots of dining options...but noisy resort and I hate monorail, though good for stroller families...high point cost)

4- SSR (very bland, busing was worst for us here, small villas...good for folks who like DD but we don't all that much)

***We are a family with 3 teens who aren't into pools so much anymore (do like the hot tubs, especially after all the walking at the parks). We love Epcot and are all about dining at WDW. We ride the headliner rides but don't do parades, shows, kiddie/classic rides or character lines anymore. So, we may have a different perspective than those with little ones who do like some of the things we don't.

We also have stayed at VB and HHI...added on points at HHI so that should tell you what we thought of HHI (we have a 2nd trip booked there for Aug). But, I am guessing you are only interested in WDW resorts.

Our family has stayed at every DVC except Boardwalk and the new Grand Floridian. Here is a breakdown: Old Key West and Saratoga Springs do not have the same deluxe feel as most of the other resorts. They both have multiple bus stops and can be long walks to the main building depending on where you stay.

Kidani Village is the reason we became DVC members--even though our walk to our room was easily a quarter mile, it was inside and we got to view animals on the savannah most of the way. It is a beautiful resort, but it is a good bus ride to anywhere besides DAK. Plus, at Kidani, you have to go to Jambo house by bus or on a decent walk for most amenities. There is a small selection in the lobby, but the only restaurant is probably not ideal for everyday dining.

Now, our favorites. My kids love staying at Beach Club--the villas are very central to the main building, the pool is entry-level with a sandy bottom and has one of the coolest slides, and it is a short walk to Epcot or Hollywood Studios. We recently stayed at BLT which is my new favorite studio. It is the best sized studio we have ever stayed in--plenty big enough for a family of four with kids those ages. We then spent the rest of our vacation in a two bedroom at Wilderness Lodge and it was wonderful! The room is nothing special, pretty standard, but the resort is gorgeous (especially the morning we woke up and overnight the Christmas decorations were put up) and the Villas are right next to both the buses and the main building. This is my personal favorite as far as convenience to parks and amenities.

In three years you might have a new choice.polly might be open. Anyhow we like akv jambo house not kidani. Its our fav and here is why. Resort layout can change the resort experience. Example. vwl has a separate building that you stay in so you have to make a special trip to go to the main lobby. Its very easy to do at wilderness but some resorts its not. Beach club,gf,blt and kidani also have separate buildings with kidani being the furthest and most difficult to visit the main resort. Ssr and okw are completely dvc with multiple bus stops and buildings everywhere. Bwv shares the same lobby as bw inn jambo house dvc is the entire fifth floor so you always go through the lobby and you will get the whole resort experience every time you go to your room. That to me is worth it. Not to mention the resort is one of the very nicest. However some long bus rides to magic kingdom as well as only bus service. Do your homework and pick the resort that's best fit for you. On another note vwl is really nicely decorated at Christmas and boat transportation to mk is a real nice feature. If you can you should personally talk to someone. If you private message me I will give you my phone number and I have info on who you can rent points from that are reliable.

Short answer for all the resorts I have stayed in:
AKL/V - Great views and different food.
OKW - My 2nd home, most room.
BCV - Walk to EPCOT/MGM.
SSR - Walking to DTD.
BLT - Monorail.
BWV - Like decor and ditto BCV.
VWL - Woodlands feel, walk to FWC.
VB - Different feel than WDW resorts.
HH - Area history and golf courses.

I've stayed at all the East Coast/WDW resorts except GFV (And I think I would love it!).

My favourite, hands down and back around, is BWV.

Love the energy. Love the amount of people in and out. Love the Boardwalk. Love the bright look and feel of it. Really love the terrace level. It's all so magical to me. :goodvibes

Have fun.

{However with your age group - I would do VWL or BLT - for the boats (love the small ones), monorail (including the Epcot one so close) and proximity to the MK and all the MK area resorts. You can really feel taken away at VWL]

Thank you all so much for your help! I haven't had a chance to read them all, but I really do thank you!:worship:

I did see a question about pools and stuff. With 2 small kids, yes, pools will be visited and MK will be a go to more than 1 day park. Epcot we really didn't care for, but again, my youngest is 4 this last trip.

Park favs would be MK, AK, HS.

I don't plan on renting a car, but if it would make for a more convenient visit, I would.

Thanks again, greatly appreciated!

Thank you all so much for your help! I haven't had a chance to read them all, but I really do thank you!:worship:

I did see a question about pools and stuff. With 2 small kids, yes, pools will be visited and MK will be a go to more than 1 day park. Epcot we really didn't care for, but again, my youngest is 4 this last trip.

I don't plan on renting a car, but if it would make for a more convenient visit, I would.

I suggest you stick with VWL. Can take boat to MK. Pools are nice. It's quiet and peaceful. And the point costs are reasonable.

We've only stayed in 2 DVC resorts so far, (And the YC which shares amenities with the BC and BCV) but I have to admit, the pool at BLT was disappointing to us. It's very plain. The best thing about BLT IMHO is being able to walk to MK.

The pools at AKV and BCV are amazing. Personally, I thought the bus service to YC/BC/BCV in Oct was lacking when it came to MK. Buses in the morning weren't bad (though sometimes they stop at YC,BC and BW which really slows them down) but every time we wanted to leave MK in the middle of the day the wait was easily 30-40 minutes for a bus. A few times we were tempted to take the BW/Swan/Dolphin bus, as there would be one or two of them all while we waited for the YC/BC/BCV one.

blt - being able to walk to and from the MK. (always try for standard view) and monorail to Epcot. (sometimes just get on the thing to ride it)

bcv - being able to walk to Epcot.
akv - it is a lovely place (try for value view - Jambo House)
bwv - being able to walk to Studio. (HDS)

vwl - it is also a lovely place and closer to the MK than AKV. you can boat or bus to the MK.

okw and ssr are more communities than hotel like - you can walk, boat or bus to DD from both of them. bus everywhere else. they have some nice play areas. so the kids can after being in the parks all day - go someplace to wear off some of their energy.

blt, vgf, bcv, bwv - all have lots of dinner/lunch choices because of with BLT & VGF the monorail - with BCV and BWV they are walking/boating distance to all the Epcot resorts.

being close to the parks comes with a price tag - so if your budget is tight - might go with OKW.

I've stayed at all the East Coast/WDW resorts except GFV (And I think I would love it!).

My favourite, hands down and back around, is BWV.

Love the energy. Love the amount of people in and out. Love the Boardwalk. Love the bright look and feel of it. Really love the terrace level. It's all so magical to me. :goodvibes

Have fun.

{However with your age group - I would do VWL or BLT - for the boats (love the small ones), monorail (including the Epcot one so close) and proximity to the MK and all the MK area resorts. You can really feel taken away at VWL]

what lisa said :thumbsup2
for access to MK, BLT is best, haven't stayed at the VGF, but love, LOVE the GF. if focus on EPCOT & DHS however, BCV is great for little kids (too noisy & the pool congested for our tastes, but very lil ones love it).
AKV's are amazing, but less suitable for a park-focused visit.
love SSR for the upscale feeling & decor, VWL is especially beautiful during the Christmas season, OKW has large villas.

for older kids (8+) and adults, our above & beyond all others is the BWVs. quiet interiors & lots of places to relax, great array of activities (dining, yummy bakery, carny performers & games, jellyrolls/ATL, etc), unparalleled views, and short walks to 2 parks.

enjoy your decision, whatever it is :santa:

My favorites:
VWL-Heavenly. Magical. Welcoming. Boat to MK. Setting on Bay Lake.
BLT-Overlooking Bay Lake, SSL. Rooftop viewing deck. Walk to MK. Nice pool.
BCV-Walk to EP/HS. Sand bottom pool.
BWV-Walk to EP/HS. Nice pool. On the Boardwalk.

These answers kinda make me wanna buy into the VGF at the direct prices. I know that sounds crazy. We're new, so I'm taking it all in. But, right now we have little ones - two 5's and a 3. MK is easily our favorite park. Last trip we had 5 park days, and 3 were in MK. Based on what is being said, seems like the resorts close to MK have issues:

BLT - noisy, pool not so great, 1st floor privacy issues
VWL - rooms blah, dark, no 3 br villas, early contract expiration

Whats that leave for resorts with easy access to MK? Seems like maybe BWV/BCV not a bad choice if the bus ride to MK isn't too bad.

But with VGF you get great pool, beautiful rooms/lobbies, easy to MK, monorail, and 2064.

I don't wanna drop 150 per point, but just might based on all that.

We like different resorts for different reasons, our favourite at the moment is Blt, we love the modern rooms, location, view etc.

Another advantage to BLT; short walk to the bus terminal at MK where you can hop on a bus to any other resort on property. As an example, you can take the bus over to AKL and view the animals or to BWV and walk the boardwalk, then take the bus back towards MK. This can make for mini trips on days that you do not want to hit the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter