Your favorite DVC resort for Christmas and why???

TravelMommy

DIS Veteran
Since we have been going to WDW I have always wanted to spend Christmas at Disney. In my youth I used to love that when we visited in January they still had the Christmas decorations up. We may not even step foot in a park (or maybe one)and just resort hop to see the amazing decorations, DTD and lounge by the pool. For those of you who stay have stayed at different DVC resorts for the holidays, which was your favorite and why??? I have never stayed at WL but have heard that their Christmas decorations are amazing??? Did you like their pool? TIA Looking forward to your replies:wave2:

I know I'm in the minority, but I love either of the Epcot resorts, BCV or BWV (although personally I always prefer BCV). What I love is hearing the Christmas music as it sounds only in that area. a Manheim Steamroller type sound. Also, I notice there the way all the poles are strung with garland. And this-

VWL for the theme that reflects the season, a wood cabin resort in the winter, what could be greater!

My favorite time of year at Disney! I love the look and feel of the VWL at Christmastime and bought there to go after Thanksgiving. But I haven't been there then. Maybe after I retire? I also love the Christmas look at the Poly which is soon to be a DVC resort but not enough to buy more. I do want to try Christmas at Disneyland and use my VGC points after I retire. So many plans!

I'm going to have to also say VWL, but a close 2nd would be AKL. I've never been but seen some amazing pictures....The same architect that built/ designed VWL is the same one for AKL too. A lot of similarities throughout. Also a Huge Xmas tree in the atrium too.

We usually do a split stay in December, VWL and BWV. I love them both, equally. This year, we are also throwing in 3 nights at VGF, the GF has been one resort we ALWAYS visit in December. Remember to stop and say Hi to Richard. I wonder if they will have roasted chestnuts for him to give away again! I hope so.

rwc

GF, WL, BWI, and BC. We find AKL too loud.

The DVC resorts don't have very many decorations because they don't have to since they are paired with the above resorts.

:earsboy: Bill

I am torn between staying at our home resort (BCV) because, we like it, love Stormalong Bay and lets face it, we know it like the back of our hand, as they say. I still am debating though between VWL, GF and BCV. Thanks again for great suggestions!:)

I know I'm in the minority, but I love either of the Epcot resorts, BCV or BWV (although personally I always prefer BCV). What I love is hearing the Christmas music as it sounds only in that area. a Manheim Steamroller type sound. Also, I notice there the way all the poles are strung with garland. And this-

I didn't know they did this in the lobby!!!

Thanks for posting this awesome picture!

I have stayed at Disney many times after christmas through new years and our favorite is Boardwalk because they decorate outstanding and the boardwalk area and outside the resort have a lot of entertainment on new years eve. In addition, I simply think it is a great central location with easy access to Epcot and Hollywood studios and short bus to the others. One of the higher end nicer resorts and lot of places to eat on the boardwalk.

My two favorite would be GF and WL. The trees at both resorts are so impressive because of the heights of the lobby's they are just stunning and pictures do not do them justice. At GF the gingerbread house is quite a sight and the Christmas music is awesome. At WL sitting by the fireplace with all the beautiful decorations surrounding you while you rock back and forth on a rocking chair.

DW and I have been every year since '93 during the first two weeks of Dec.
We plan this as our chance to enjoy the holidays for ourselves. We do whatever we want based upon where we are staying. All the PP have covered where to see the decorations; one off-site location you might want to consider is Gaylord Palms Resort and they have ICE! It is several freezing rooms full of ice sculptures; you are given a heavy coat to wear and hot coffee/chocolate afterwards.
Love taking a monorail tour of resorts: GF, CR, & Poly
Love taking a walking tour of the EPCOT resorts: BWV, BC, YC, Swan, & Dolphin all in one afternoon stroll.

Most definitely boardwalk. Such festive decorations and great location. Best New Year's Eve also!

We love both our home resorts. That is why we are doing a split stay--first VWL then moving to the BWV!!

We've stayed at or visited all of the deluxe and moderate resorts during the holiday season, and here is my list in descending order:
WL: Hands down the winner. From the stunning centerpiece tree, to the fireplace, to the architecture, the Lodge breathes the holiday spirit.
GF: The trees in the lobby are lovely, and the gingerbread house is stunning in its detail.
YC: Though not nearly as Christmas-y as either of the two above, they have a very cute diorama of a ski chalet complete with a train, twinkling lights, and skiers going down the slopes. That alone is worth making this list.
AKL: It's a tough call between YC and AKL, but I suppose what decided it for me was that although the tree at AKL is superb, it seems a bit dichotomous given the theming of AKL in general.
BW: The carrousel.
All others: Each has some nice decorations but nothing of particular note.

Of special mention but not ranked on the list above are the personal decorations of the RVers and campers at FW. It's worth a trip over to FW just to walk around the various campsites and enjoy their decorations. Some are quite elaborate and play Christmas music over speakers to add to your enjoyment. Love their imagination!

Wilderness Lodge...the wood tones and colors evoke the memories of my Christmas' as a kid

BCV for the location.

WL for the incredible lobby.

Not to take away from the other resorts - resort hopping can be fabulous fun that time of year - try breakfast and lunch at different resorts each day and then spend a little time enjoying the lobby of each.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter