Your favorite AbD trip?

Our favorite ABD trips were the older ones where we didn't have to sign pages of documents
...and they were persnickety about it. I "signed" one electronically on my computer and e-mailed it to them. They sent it back saying it had to be a "real" signature. That means printing it out, signing it in pen, scanning it back into the computer and then re-mailing to DVC.

I'm sure I helped somebody keep gainfully employed.

Last edited:
...and they were persnickety about it. I "signed" one electronically on my computer and mailed it to them. They sent it back saying it had to be a "real" signature. That means printing it out, signing it in pen, scanning it back into the computer and then re-mailing to DVC.

I'm sure I helped somebody keep gainfully employed.
On this adults only trip I failed to return the last page which certified I am a guardian of my children and are signing releases on their behalf. Unless I returned the blank page I could not travel on the trip. This was one of the many STUPID things covered on this addendum to the travel agreement.

We have done 11 ABD trips. My all time favorite is still the original Scotland itinerary. However, the current itinerary does not resemble the original one very much. Going down the list, I'd say China was our second favorite and nearly tied with Japan. Some other favorites, as in, we'd repeat them them in a heartbeat with very minor peer pressure, would be Italy and Winter in Wyoming.

Our Peru trip was our favorite trip closely followed our South Africa ABD.

Manchu Picchu was fantastic and the chef that we had at the hotel was really good. And the first night dinner with the entertainment. Actually, everything was good. That trip is why I’ve been on so many ABD trips. It was fabulous! (Been to the Galapagos, South Africa, China, Southeast Asia, Backstage Magic with ABD also but loved Peru the most)
Did they give you a suggested packing list for Peru?

Hands-down it has been Winter in Wyoming. Sounds cold, and it is, but it is amazing! Step out of your comfort zone (literally) and give it a try. Sled dog driving, sleigh rides at the Elk Reserve....

As far as I can tell, Tokyo Disney Resort still has Fastpass, and does not have Genie+. I haven't seen anything that indicates they are planning on moving to the Genie+ model. When we were there, they still had a paper-based Fastpass system.

Sayhello
Tokyo still uses paper fastpass, but if you book a package at an on-site resort they also give you several any-time fastpasses per day. This is for everyone who stays on site, not just ABD, and the number depends on your package.

I haven’t yet been on as many AbD as some on the boards, but I totally agree with @sayhello that Japan was amazing! It will be very hard to top, I think. I still smile every time I think about it, or whenever I see cherry blossoms.
So many votes for Japan! It was already high on our list, so I think we will strongly consider it. Already doing ABD in So Cal Sep 2023. Now thinking of doing Japan in November of that year.

So many votes for Japan! It was already high on our list, so I think we will strongly consider it. Already doing ABD in So Cal Sep 2023. Now thinking of doing Japan in November of that year.
The Japan trip will definitely be amazing, but the one thing I would count against it is the price and how easy it is to do on your own. Public transit is so insanely good in Japan compared to anywhere in the US or Europe that you'll be surprised how easy it is. The language barrier can be intimidating, but if you can get over that almost everything can be done by just getting to the city and walking. If you really want to see Japan though, it's a great itinerary.

Also if I remember correctly, the trip only stays at big hotels and never at any traditional Japanese Inns, which I think is essential for a trip to Japan.

The Japan trip will definitely be amazing, but the one thing I would count against it is the price and how easy it is to do on your own. Public transit is so insanely good in Japan compared to anywhere in the US or Europe that you'll be surprised how easy it is. The language barrier can be intimidating, but if you can get over that almost everything can be done by just getting to the city and walking. If you really want to see Japan though, it's a great itinerary.
I get what you're saying, but can you really get to Shirakawa-go in the mountains above Takayama using public transit? To me it was one of the highlights of the trip.

Sayhello

I know, this is weighing heavily. Plus, I can stay at the Hyatt and other hotel chains for free using Chase UR points, so that limits the value for me. With EBD + Dreams Unlimited discount + discounted GCs, it would be ~$16K for 2 people. So we need to decide whether we can get enough value re: planning, itinerary, language barrier, and transportation.

DH and I have traveled in Europe and Mexico and have gotten around fine, planned on our own. But there was always someone who spoke English or another language that one of us had familiarity with. That wouldn't be the case in Japan.

I get what you're saying, but can you really get to Shirakawa-go in the mountains above Takayama using public transit? To me it was one of the highlights of the trip.

Sayhello
It's one train from Tokyo to Takaoka, and one bus from there to Shirakawa-go. Total travel time of 4 to 5 hours depending on your connection. It takes about 5.5 hours to drive there from Tokyo. From Nagoya, it's about a 4 hour train plus bus, while driving is only 3 hours, so it's a little bit faster, but the train is definitely doable.

That's what I mean by public transit being so good, you can live in rural areas without a car and be completely fine.

Also I don't want to tell anyone not to do the ABD, since it will be fantastic. I'm more trying to help people who might be afraid of travelling Japan without some type of organized tour. It's probably the safest country in the world to travel in.

Last edited:
South Africa is the only one I would do again in a second if I had the time and $$$, but the others were really darn good.

Sayhello
Yes, you can. We got to Takayama on our own and then opted to do a group day tour from there as it was snowy (plus also visited Suganuma on it), but there are also public buses that go to Shirakawa-go if you aren't in a hurry.

There are aspects of the Japan trip that really would be difficult to manage (although I think they dropped the shrine blessing which was the almost impossible one) but getting around isn't outlandish. I *think* every activity could technically be done. Maybe not dinner in the private room at the hotel for the farewell?

Last edited:
Did they give you a suggested packing list for Peru?
Yes there was a packing list for Peru for our trip but that was more than 10 years ago. They gave us a packing list for our recent trip to Egypt, so I’m guessing they will have one for Peru. However, the list was pretty generalized…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter