You might get a thousand dollars stimulus package

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Canada has actually come out with a better plan in getting money to people that need it by expanding EI Benefits (both regular and medical) and creating special emergency funds for those who wouldn't qualify for EI programs. It's designed to get the money where it's needed most. Along with extending the deadline for having your taxes done and other payment deferrals without incurring interest.

I agree. They’ve also increased the amount of GST payments to $600 for a couple. I’m not sure if that applies to the payment due in a few weeks, but I would assume so. The next one isn’t until July, and people need help now.

All malls and retail places are closed if they are deemed non essential. Grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations, Target, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, mechanic shops and things like that are open.
I cannot believe you neglected to mention the most important businesses - liquor stores! While restaurants are being allowed to remain open for pickup/delivery, most states don't permit booze-to-go! :D

I cannot believe you neglected to mention the most important businesses - liquor stores! While restaurants are being allowed to remain open for pickup/delivery, most states don't permit booze-to-go! :D

liquor stores are open until 8 pm!!! Lol

Philadelphia closed all liquor stores so ours are being overrun by our neighbors in Philly!

NH is allowing beer and wine to go. 😀 They also sell both in grocery stores.

Aaand.. I should put up a youtube video on how to make bathtub gin.. Could be a real money-maker... might even get me enough to buy a few rolls of 2-ply.

Stand-alone liquor stores are few and far between in WI. You can pretty much any kind of liquor at the gas station/Walmart/Target and ALL of it at the grocery store.

If it's going to affect me at tax time, I would rather not get it at all. At this moment, we are both still getting our income so we are ok.

If we get it anyway, I like the idea of giving back to the folks in positions that are not collecting a paycheck.

Maybe it would be better to have to request it and show that you need it?

FWIW, a couple of microbreweries I know of *are* making hand sanitizer. I'm guessing they have realized that they can sell it a whole lot more profitably than beer right now.

Maryland does as of today! :)

Listen, I am not an alcoholic or anything, but I have to have access to some wine and tequila. This isn't prohibition. We are already getting used to new normal. Not having alcohol would really be the end of the world!

FWIW, a couple of microbreweries I know of *are* making hand sanitizer. I'm guessing they have realized that they can sell it a whole lot more profitably than beer right now.

There are 2 microbreweries in the Massachusetts area that are making hand sanitizer and they are giving it away free. I have also seen a microbrewery in Atlanta that is not charging for hand sanitizer. I'm sure some places are charging for it but not all of them are.

$1000 would feed my family of 4 for maybe 6 weeks. That’s including toiletries. It doesn’t go far when you have teen boys.
You must eat nothing if you believe $1000 will last a year for one person. LOL
I was stating how far 1k can go for a family of 4 after a PP stated that 1k can feed one person for a year and could possibly feed a family of 4 for 3-4 months.

Even in the hardest of times there’s no way 1k would feed a family of 4 for 3-4 months.

Obviously, different people/families spend different amounts on groceries due to brand preference, availability, varying prices by area, diet, etc. My response was to a poster who didn't understand why kids would also get a stimulus check. To put it simply, there are added costs with kids and $1000 won't go as far when you're buying groceries for instance for a whole family rather than one person.

The numbers I used were for my family's situation the last couple of years. Our grocery budget for 4 (2 adults, a 9yo, and a 4 yo) including toiletries and diapers until 7 months ago has been between $200-$300/ month. It's not ideal and not possible or everyone, but it's what we've had to work with, so we make it work. As an example, I stock up on beef, chicken, and any other meat I can find when it's around $2/lb. $60 gets us 1 lb of meat/day for the month. Add in a 10lb bag of potatoes ($5) and 10lbs of rice ($5), and 45 cans veggies (.45 each, so just under $20) and we have dinners for 4 for $90, along with leftovers for DH to take to work for lunch. Breakfast (cereal, eggs, milk, fruit, oatmeal, cheap breakfast meats) and lunch (usually soup and sandwiches) combined cost about what we spend on dinners, which still leaves some left for condiments, drinks, snacks, and toiletries/paper items.

So yes, $1000 does currently buy our family of 4 food for 3-4 months. Extrapolating off of that, $1000 just spent on food for me could last the majority of a year. I'm not deluded into thinking everyone can match this budget. When DS was an infant, his medically necessary hypoallergenic formula alone was $420/ month. Again, the point was simply that, in general, the more people in your home, the higher regular expenses will be. Leaving kids out of the stimulus would mean less help for families with kids who, in general, have higher expenses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter