You might get a thousand dollars stimulus package

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the scenario presented was police forcing people to return to their homes at gunpoint. Sorry but that simply won't be tolerated in this country. This isn't North Korea.
I live in this country. Under the conditions we currently live in, if police told me to return to my home, I would immediately. Anyone who wouldn't, should be arrested. We live in a free country, but we aren't free to shoot cops or the military, just because we don't like them telling us to return to our home for our greater good.

I live in this country. Under the conditions we currently live in, if police told me to return to my home, I would immediately. Anyone who wouldn't, should be arrested. We live in a free country, but we aren't free to shoot cops or the military, just because we don't like them telling us to return to our home for our greater good.

And we have a constitutional right to overthrow the government if we deem it necessary. It sounds like you're okay with martial law, many wouldn't be (myself included).

And we have a constitutional right to overthrow the government if we deem it necessary. It sounds like you're okay with martial law, many wouldn't be (myself included).
If martial law is what is better for the country as a whole, I'm okay with that. I have a lot more faith in our military than the fringe gun toting society. Frankly, the latter scares me with what I view illogical thinking.

From the articles that I have read, you don't need to fill out any paperwork to receive the check, and that includes tax filing -

Thanks. I know a couple 40-somethings making their "living" selling drugs, so I really don't think they file taxes, but I suspect they'll still expect $1000 each, and they like to use my address for mail, no matter how many times we tell them not to. I've even asked the post ofc to stop delivery here, but they said they can't. whutevs. I just don't want the druggies using my address for anything, especially for $$$$ from the govt when they don't bother to pay taxes.

If martial law is what is better for the country as a whole, I'm okay with that. I have a lot more faith in our military than the fringe gun toting society. Frankly, the latter scares me with what I view illogical thinking.

And who decides whether martial law is best? I assume you will say our representatives do. Okay. And then society decides whether that's something they can live with.

And who decides whether martial law is best? I assume you will say our representatives do. Okay. And then society decides whether that's something they can live with.
You'd be wrong with me siding with the majority of our current representatives, but I do think the military thinks more logically than the fringe gun toting society. I think you'd be surprised to find that most citizens don't see things your way. IMO, the large majority of people would call for military assistance in a fringe uprising. Those staging the uprising could kill many innocent people, but the military would prevail.

You'd be wrong with me siding with the majority of our current representatives, but I do think the military thinks more logically than the fringe gun toting society. I think you'd be surprised to find that most citizens don't see things your way. IMO, the large majority of people would call for military assistance in a fringe uprising. Those staging the uprising could kill many innocent people, but the military would prevail.

If society is on lock down for an indefinite period of time and are threatened at gun point to return home or else (which is the scenario we were discussing earlier), I suspect you'd be wrong about the majority of Americans being okay with that.

Sorry, but if that's the case, I hope our military shows up in full force in those area. The bullying threat of civil war doesn't impress me. Anyone who tries that should be jailed immediately. We don't need that kind of aggressive uprising in our society. It does nothing to help the country as a whole.

Wow, not sure you really understand the implications of what you said. I'm leaving this one alone.

So far, we've been fortunate that DH's job is business as usual. If the Lord's willing, we won't need the checks. I'm very grateful for that. The thing that's mind boggling to me is children receiving a check. How many people depend on their kids to help support the family? Maybe, we should have put DS to work, when he entered elementary school. :p I wouldn't vote to take a dime from people who need it, but I really don't understand why kids would receive a check that they normally wouldn't receive. :confused3

Generally speaking, people with kids have higher costs- grocery bills are higher since there are more mouths to feed, possible childcare costs, increased electricity and water usage, in many cases higher rent due to needing a larger house with more bedrooms for the kids, increased clothing costs, higher medical premiums, and so much more.

If kids weren't included in the stimulus, many parents would have a much harder time paying bills, feeding the family, etc. If I was just buying food for me for instance, $1000 could buy me almost a year's worth of groceries. Add a couple kids into the equation and that $1000 would only buy food for maybe 3 or 4 months. $1000 doesn't go nearly as far when it's for 4 people vs 1.

Generally speaking, people with kids have higher costs- grocery bills are higher since there are more mouths to feed, possible childcare costs, increased electricity and water usage, in many cases higher rent due to needing a larger house with more bedrooms for the kids, increased clothing costs, higher medical premiums, and so much more.

If kids weren't included in the stimulus, many parents would have a much harder time paying bills, feeding the family, etc. If I was just buying food for me for instance, $1000 could buy me almost a year's worth of groceries. Add a couple kids into the equation and that $1000 would only buy food for maybe 3 or 4 months. $1000 doesn't go nearly as far when it's for 4 people vs 1.

$1000 would feed my family of 4 for maybe 6 weeks. That’s including toiletries. It doesn’t go far when you have teen boys.

$1000.00 could fill my chest freezer with a lot of on sale protein and vegetables. In fact, spent $ 934.00 in 2 trips to Stew Leonard's to get it to it's current state. Once filled it's enough for several months of 4 serving dinners. Not counting toiletries;).

If they are going by last years tax returns to determine income that isn’t fair. Just because you made 75k last year doesn’t mean crap if you aren’t working NOW.
If you made more money last year than now the payment system would work to your advantage. If you made less money last year than now it is also advantageous.

Nobody needs that $1000 if not currently unemployed, at least if not due to covid.
How else will they keep buying up 10 tons of extra toilet paper? ;) ;) ;)

$1000 would feed my family of 4 for maybe 6 weeks. That’s including toiletries. It doesn’t go far when you have teen boys.

I agree and it seems to be worse right now. We're a similar size/age family, and we tend to hover around $200 per week for groceries, but I tell you, while I would like to tighten the belt and spend less right now, I find we're doing the opposite. The food hoarders seem to be choosing the least expensive options, leaving us forced to buy more expensive versions of everything on our list. (For instance, instead of paying $2.00 for a 5 lb. bag of flour, we paid $3.00 each for 2 pound bags, because that's all that was left.) We're also sometimes buying things we normally don't buy because we simply cannot get our typical items at all. So I really feel that right now, and for as long as people keep panic buying at the grocery stores, it will actually be even more expensive to keep up with groceries for my family.

Mind you, I'm not refusing the 1K if it happens. I just understand why people who are out of work right now feel concerned about the possibility of that being the only financial help they receive.

Then the plan should address that too as it still wouldn't be a "stimulus" plan.
The idea is simple - get money into the hands of people in hopes that they will spend it instead of saving it. Americans do not save - that is why the economy is so strong. We spend, spend, spend. Except in times like this, when we are worried about what tomorrow might bring. Then we save. And if we are saving and not spending, we exacerbate an already weakening economy.

So, yes, this can be a stimulus - but only if it ends up in the hands of people who spend it. It really doesn't matter what they spend it on. If they spend it, goods are puchased which then need to be replaced on shelves. That means that more goods have to be made and delivered.

I don't need the check. If I get it, I'll spend it. I am already spending more than usual in my local community to help local businesses. My savings are tanking, but I'll live with that, too, as I feel fortunate to have savings.

This is a tough thing. We will get through it together.

You must eat nothing if you believe $1000 will last a year for one person. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter