You Can Do It, "yarc"

windwalker

I need an Adventure
I love that phrase from the Adam Sandler movie, "Water Boy".

One of the amazing things for me about road racing like we do is being part of the magic. When I'm doing a race like the half or full marathon I see litterally hundreds of other people. Lots of them have signs on their backs honoring a fallen loved one or family member battling disease. I see others with cruches or canes and still out there going the distance dispite what must be increadable discomfort. The last two years there has been a old black man walking with 2 canes.

There are others who are fighting back against a lifetime of abusing their bodies. I see a look of such determination on some and a "deer in the head lights" look in others. Some people are so over come with the pure joy of being there that tears of happiness are pouring down their faces.

Everyone of us are sharing an event that for many is the best time they will every have. So many people live their whole lives and never get an opportunity to lay it all on the line and face the challange of a marathon with just the strength within them.

For most of us on the WISH, being part of all this magic has become an oh so healthy addiction. I for one am very proud to be a part of it. The memories I have form the races and the fellowship of my fellow WISHers are golden.

I walk my races side by side with my lady so we can come away with a lot of the same memories to discuss and reminence about later. I can tell you without reservation that doing these together will strengthen the bond between you, even if you run your races individually and then compare notes later.

That is what keeps me coming back to that starting line and going the distance again and again, because each race is different, each one has it's own special memories. That is what keeps me coming back year after year.

Those of you who who keep coming back, please share your reasons with us. Even if it's just for the joy of being an athlete.

YARC Panda:hippie:

Dave, so funny you should have this post. At the Great Bay Half, my SIL and I ran together. She had never run more than 7 miles before but is a natural runner and has run most of her life. I kept saying "You can do it" and we got joking about the Water Boy and would say it with the accent. At each hill, new mileage, etcetera, we joked and said this to each other. I was the most fun I have had at a race. Doing it with my SIL made all the difference.

I continue to sign up for these crazy races for the challenge and motivation to keep me going. I lost my dad to cancer and have made the determination to bring health and fitness back into my life so I do not devastate my children the same way. I also keep going for them, to provide a good example and role model that fitness can be fun and not running is not just competition. We have to have our own personal goals in order to better ourselves as individuals. Winning does not do that, persevering does.

WISH gives me someone to run with during these big races where I would normally not know anyone. This family is very special in many ways. I find inspiration in everyone. So, everyone has a story, what is yours???????:listen:

Dave, so funny you should have this post. At the Great Bay Half, my SIL and I ran together. She had never run more than 7 miles before but is a natural runner and has run most of her life. I kept saying "You can do it" and we got joking about the Water Boy and would say it with the accent. At each hill, new mileage, etcetera, we joked and said this to each other. I was the most fun I have had at a race. Doing it with my SIL made all the difference.

WISH gives me someone to run with during these big races where I would normally not know anyone. This family is very special in many ways. I find inspiration in everyone. So, everyone has a story, what is yours???????:listen:

Of course we came up with the same idea, great minds, or is it sick minds, think alike.

I'm thinking we better stick with the second one. Otherwise no one will take us seriously!!!!! :rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl2: ;)

I'm thinking we better stick with the second one. Otherwise no one will take us seriously!!!!! :rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl2: ;)

Darlin, I don't think anyone has ever used our names and sanity in the same sentence. But ya know what? When go to our races we have so much fun it's a wonder it's not a controlled substance.

Hey Lisa, there is where you are?? How are you I was starting to get worried:hug:

Love your post Dave, what keeps me here is the awesome group of people I have met since being a part of WISH. People who I would have never gotten to meet if it wasn't for me wanted to start to live a healthier life.

I only have 1 15K under my belt so far but my motivation to start running races was just to know that I could do it :)

Meeting people from WISH both online and in real life has been awesome! Not many people I know like running or walking in races - so I love that I have a place to turn to for support and encouragement!

I feel like such an outsider here as I haven't even had my first race yet but I absolutely love coming here to the events thread to get my motivation for both my workouts and training for my first race. And my second. And third and so on.

I don't feel like I am worthy of making this post but I really do derive so much energy from each and everyone of you that it seems like all I want to do is train. I want to push myself to do faster 5k times. I want to train to get to the point where I can do a 10k, 13k and even the half. I would love to be able to come on here and talk about actual race accomplishments that I haven't had yet. I desire those PRs that I read about all of the time. My PR would actually be to be able to do a race when last year the doctors told me that it wouldn't be possible. So I guess that is another part of my motivation. I want to do the things that the "professionals" said would be out of my reach for the rest of my life. I want to make them eat those words. It isn't positive motivation but it is still my motivation!!

PS You guys inspire me more than you will ever know!!!:worship:

Bryan

I feel like such an outsider here as I haven't even had my first race yet but I absolutely love coming here to the events thread to get my motivation for both my workouts and training for my first race. And my second. And third and so on.

I don't feel like I am worthy of making this post but I really do derive so much energy from each and everyone of you that it seems like all I want to do is train. I want to push myself to do faster 5k times. I want to train to get to the point where I can do a 10k, 13k and even the half. I would love to be able to come on here and talk about actual race accomplishments that I haven't had yet. I desire those PRs that I read about all of the time. My PR would actually be to be able to do a race when last year the doctors told me that it wouldn't be possible. So I guess that is another part of my motivation. I want to do the things that the "professionals" said would be out of my reach for the rest of my life. I want to make them eat those words. It isn't positive motivation but it is still my motivation!!

PS You guys inspire me more than you will ever know!!!:worship:

Bryan

Bryan, do you feel comfortable expanding on what you said about your doctor saying you would never be able to do a train for a race? Yes you belong on any post you want to contribute to.

Bunny you have lots of races ahead of you.

We have Kim hooked on doing the races now.

Bryan, do you feel comfortable expanding on what you said about your doctor saying you would never be able to do a train for a race? Yes you belong on any post you want to contribute to.

Last year, I had my knee scoped and developed some complications where I am still having issues with it. He has told me to continue to train (in moderation) for physical therapy but don't push it. I have also talked with my Chiropractor and he has basically said that he wouldn't recommend me to ever to try to do even a 5k. Actually, he said that I could if I wanted to because it would be good for his business (more visits). That is what I have always had. People telling me that I can't do this, that or the other. That is what I love about finding the WISH boards and all of you. There is no more of a positive force anywhere in the world than the force that represents health and wellness and of course, Mickey.

Training Bubba

Here I am....

I do this because like Panda I like to be a part of the race. I am almost always nervous about an event, usually can't sleep very well (especially before a Half Marathon), merves are a bit shakey when getting up in the morning, but tend to cool down once I am among the other races and/or WISHers. I like being with others that enjoy doing the same thing I do. I like the start of a race and for some reason I like the start of bigger races, the more people the better, because I can feel the energy in the air and it gets me pumped up. I stay doing this "thing" because utimately it gives me goals to work towards. I don't think I would keep at it very well on a consistent basis if I wasn't signed up/registered to do races of any sort. I have high blood pressure and congestive heart disease in my family history on both sides, so I also do this to help my heart stay healthy in that regard.
After finding the WISH group, they help to keep me motivated and keep me sane and I like encouraging people to try and do the same.
I know I could probably add more to this but don't want to have diahrrea(sp) of the mouth.

Here's my story:

Although I've been an athlete all my life, I never considered myself a runner. In fact, I hated to run distance. Would try to avoid it all costs. Then, when I stopped playing team sports (in my early 40's) I needed a new challenge that was somewhat reachable (my Ironman goal is still on my mind, though). That's when the Goofy sprang up. I figured if I was ever going to give running marathons a shot, this was the one that would get me started. So I started training, found the WISH boards and actually got through and have the 1st ever Goofy medal! :goodvibes

Now, I keep signing up for other races. It's an addiction. I want the challenge, plus it's great going to other events and meeting Wishers. It seems like no matter what race, there's another WISHER there. I've gotten a lot of support and advice from this board and met people I never would have otherwise. It's been great! Thanks everybody!

None of my friends are really into running (although I did get 4 of them to walk the 5K at WDW this year), but I'm still working on them.

So, whatever your reason for getting started, the important thing is you did start. We're here to support everyone, whether it's with advice, lending an ear or giving a swift kick you know where ;) .

I now run (and walk) for the challenge. Not for time so much, but just to know that I can complete the distance (and feel good about it afterward)!

Terri

Terri: You are right, the important thing is to start and even better to have WISH there to support you. There is always someone willing to lend you a hand no matter what and, yes, pull you up when you are down. This is a wonderful group of individuals. I don't run for time either, I find that too distracting from the fun!!! :lmao:

Kim: I am here, just not there anymore. lol. You know I am always around for you all. :love: I miss you guys too. 4 months and a couple weeks and we are all together again, raising, I mean having fun!!!! ;)

Bubba: I hope that you do plent of XT and your PT to help your supporting muscles gain strength. It will help you out more in the long "run" or walk. Take your progress slowly and listen to your body. Don't let the determination and fire you harbor burn out the final goal by pushing too fast and hard. I hope you can show them they were all wrong and how strong your body really is. :worship:

Dave: Speaking of inspiration and Erica, how is she doing with her goals. She is truly a role model for us all with her work ethic and ability to persevere. Continued good luck to her on her rehab.

WISH is an awesome place to be with the best people. I really loved running the half in January. Every WISHer that I came across was so supportive. We cheered each other on. The scream team did their thing and did it well. There were times when I felt like giving up but someone was always there for me. WISH rocks and all of the people here are the stars!!!

Bryan there are no outsiders here you are a teammate just as valuable as the one that has done a hundred races!!!!

We miss you "there" come back and say hi.....I hope we are still on for Jan 2010!!!!!!

Kim, you know we are...:drinking1 !!! I can't check in "there" as my browser on the work computer is just not up to snuff. I am now banished to "here" not that here is such a bad place. I just miss my buddies...:worried:

You are right about every person here being important and being included. It does not matter the miles you put in just that you do it. Everyone is an inspiration to someone even if you think you are not. :thumbsup2

I decided to run a marathon because I wasn't allowed to go see my dad after he had major surgery. His immune system is so damaged that the Drs requested no visitors for the first 8 days after surgery. He wasn't even allowed flowers in his room! He was asleep most of the time so I couldn't even talk to him.

Desperate to do something, I went to the mailbox and there was a flyer from Team in Training. I could run a half marathon in his honor! But as I researched it some more and saw pictures of the medals I knew I had to run the full and get that Mickey medal. So I did.

Something happened to me as I trained for and ran that first marathon. I fell in love with running. I love everything about running and racing.

And what I love about WISH is that there are lots of different people at all different levels that get as excited as I do about racing.

Cecilia

I have a stupid question ( as I have forgotten the answer). What does YARC mean???

Thanks!

Kim, you know we are...:drinking1 !!! I can't check in "there" as my browser on the work computer is just not up to snuff. I am now banished to "here" not that here is such a bad place. I just miss my buddies...:worried:

You are right about every person here being important and being included. It does not matter the miles you put in just that you do it. Everyone is an inspiration to someone even if you think you are not. :thumbsup2

Wahoooo, we are still in. Not going to Marathon weekend however , Mike is dealing with some horrible PF.

I don't come "here" much anymore, most of my peeps are there, and so hard to keep up with both.

Kim, we have to get Mlke healed up so he can be involved again.

Lisa we miss you sweet princess.

Bryan, YARC stands for "You Ain't Right Club". Since to most people we have a screw loose to even think about getting off the comfortable couch to get out in the heat and exercise. Some of us are looser than others.

I did my 1st half marathon at WDW days before I turned 50. I now have done: 2 halfs, a full, a 13K, and Goofy.

Why do I do this...to prove to myself I can. Right now I am rehabbing my feet, but will hopefully be able to step up training soon.

I have made some major changes since doing the Goofy in Jan, and they could only be for the betterment of me.

I love all of you for the friendship, love, support and caring!! I feel blessed to have such wonderful friends!!!

Erica:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter