Yikes! worried Aulani will be a zoo in August

alohamom

DIS Veteran
Well, I have been pumped up and flying high anticipating Aulani until today. I have been reading some recent Trip Advisor reviews which basically say it is chaos-full pools, no loungers, screaming children. Very different from all the trip reports I have read here and on other boards. I am hoping it is because the reviewers are non-disney types but now it is panicking me a little. We are there for five nights and I actually enjoy the energy of a full resort but I am getting worried about this-can anyone who has been in August or holiday periods tell me what their experience was like and how you dealt with it? Or can anyone convince me not to panic? My dd (16) says to go with the flow, we have a week after in Big Island in a condo that will be total relaxation and that the excitement of Aulani is a great way to start the vacay. I know she is right but just please reassure me, okay my fellow mousekateers???

We will be there from the 8th - 15th and I hope it's not THAT bad. I keep seeing Aulani specials that start on the 15th or 16th of August for free nights so I think the week we are there must be the last really-full-summer-vacation-before-school-goes-back-week. But I figure it can't be any worse than WDW over spring break!! We stayed at BLT a couple of years ago over spring break and I was apalled at how dinky the pool was for the number of guests that resort holds. Nor can it be any worse than a DCL with 250 kids in a 12 x 20 pool. If the pool area is too crowded at Aulani I've already decided we will head for the beach. I've read there is plenty of space / chairs down there. I bought a 4' combination lock on a cable and a small cable lock today at Target for our beach/pool bag. I plan to lock our valuables inside the bag then tie down the bag to a lounge chair when we're in the pool or whatever. If the resort is PACKED FULL there WILL BE a lot of non-Disney types so I trust no one!!

We still have our name on a cabana for our last full day at Aulani but not sure if we'll keep it. We will have to see when we get there if we are able to get one near the family pool or not and evaluate if we think it's worth the $300 (if the resort is packed and we have trouble finding "a spot" then it might be). I also reserved a gazebo (same as a cabana at Aulani) at the Sheraton on Maui for our last night in Hawaii - WHAT A BARGAIN at only $75 for 12 hours!!! That's a keeper for sure I think. We will have to check out of our room early and our flight isn't until evening (like 9:00 or something) so I really wanted a space to call "home" for the day.

Don't panic - and remember, there's always the beach - AND IT'S HAWAII!!!:goodvibes

I was just there when the resort was pretty full. The pools were not chaotic, IMO. We never had an issue getting a tube when we wanted. The only issue is the chairs. We had a wonderful time, and I know you will too.

We are going at the end of August because DH is too busy at work this summer to take time before that. The Adventures by Disney tours we wanted for this year were sold out so we decided on Aulani for 10 days. I, too, hope it isn't nuts! It's just the three of us, celebrating DD's 21st birthday, so hopefully the "adult only" areas will be less crowded!

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Aulani can be a zoo no matter when you travel there. I was there in 2012 and when I went this year it was very obvious that Aulani is very popular with tourists now.

I was just at Aulani over July 4th and I didn't think the resort was a zoo. Yes, you did have a hard time getting a pool chair if you weren't there by about 10am(but there were still chairs available at the beach).

I went down at 8am for breakfast and was surprised to see how many chairs were already saved. I went ahead and got mine, went to breakfast, and then came back to my chair. The problem with saving chairs was that some families had chairs for every member instead of just one for the kids.

There is a one hour chair rule in effect--if a chair that has a towel on it is unoccupied for an hour, the pool attendant will fold the towel and start the one hour countdown. If the chair isn't touched in that time, the towel is taken off the chair and it is open for anyone to sit down in.--The only difficulty with that was the pool attendants didn't start really policing the chairs until about mid day.

I talked to someone who was there prior to July 4th and they said it didn't really get crazy until July 2nd and most people left on July 7th. I wouldn't worry too much about this. However, if you haven't already made your dining reservations at 'Ama 'Ama or Mahiki(sp?), that you should worry about.

We leave for Aulani next Saturday and will be there the 2nd-9th. I can let you know what our experience is like when we get back if that will help.

Susan

Aulani can be a zoo no matter when you travel there. I was there in 2012 and when I went this year it was very obvious that Aulani is very popular with tourists now. I was just at Aulani over July 4th and I didn't think the resort was a zoo. Yes, you did have a hard time getting a pool chair if you weren't there by about 10am(but there were still chairs available at the beach). I went down at 8am for breakfast and was surprised to see how many chairs were already saved. I went ahead and got mine, went to breakfast, and then came back to my chair. The problem with saving chairs was that some families had chairs for every member instead of just one for the kids. There is a one hour chair rule in effect--if a chair that has a towel on it is unoccupied for an hour, the pool attendant will fold the towel and start the one hour countdown. If the chair isn't touched in that time, the towel is taken off the chair and it is open for anyone to sit down in.--The only difficulty with that was the pool attendants didn't start really policing the chairs until about mid day. I talked to someone who was there prior to July 4th and they said it didn't really get crazy until July 2nd and most people left on July 7th. I wouldn't worry too much about this. However, if you haven't already made your dining reservations at 'Ama 'Ama or Mahiki(sp?), that you should worry about.

Just made dinner reservations at AMA AMA for DD's 21st birthday on your recommendation! :-).
Tomorrow we'll make some decisions on excursions !

We are here now. It is crowded and if you want a shaded pool chair you need to be out by 7:45am or so, but you can find a chair later. The atmosphere of the pool and food areas remind me of Blizzard Beach or a Disney cruise - lots of waiting line for stuff, lots of kids, lots of noise, etc. In the pools, you are likely to be kicked, bumped, splashed and so on ... it's Disney in July.

Honestly, the kids here seem a little wilder (or maybe I am unlucky). Last night, I wound up in the middle of 4 boys flinging globs of sand at each other in the lagoon. Tonight, it was 2 girls and a boy chasing each other down and throwing big leaves at each other in the lazy river. I was super annoyed - the kids were probably all under 10 and completely unsupervised. I think parents are giving their kids free range here b/c they feel safe in a Disney bubble.

It is a very nice resort, but not really a tranquil Hawaiian dream in the general areas. First thing in the morning is better, but so many people are coming from the mainland that they are up and about early.

I guess, I am trying to say that I can see the negatives from non- Disney people for sure. We spent last week on the Big Island and this is definitely culture shock! I think any Disboards member and Disney lover would be fine though.

We are here now. It is crowded and if you want a shaded pool chair you need to be out by 7:45am or so, but you can find a chair later. The atmosphere of the pool and food areas remind me of Blizzard Beach or a Disney cruise - lots of waiting line for stuff, lots of kids, lots of noise, etc. In the pools, you are likely to be kicked, bumped, splashed and so on ... it's Disney in July. Honestly, the kids here seem a little wilder (or maybe I am unlucky). Last night, I wound up in the middle of 4 boys flinging globs of sand at each other in the lagoon. Tonight, it was 2 girls and a boy chasing each other down and throwing big leaves at each other in the lazy river. I was super annoyed - the kids were probably all under 10 and completely unsupervised. I think parents are giving their kids free range here b/c they feel safe in a Disney bubble. It is a very nice resort, but not really a tranquil Hawaiian dream in the general areas. First thing in the morning is better, but so many people are coming from the mainland that they are up and about early. I guess, I am trying to say that I can see the negatives from non- Disney people for sure. We spent last week on the Big Island and this is definitely culture shock! I think any Disboards member and Disney lover would be fine though.

Ugh. Not what I wanted to hear. :-(
DH is really big on "shade". He's not going to be a happy camper!

My hope is maybe less kids the end of August because school is starting soon.

Don't get me wrong, I like kids (even had one Lolol) but we watched her. Unsupervised kids (and their parents!) are a pet peeve of mine.

Ugh. Not what I wanted to hear. :-(
DH is really big on "shade". He's not going to be a happy camper!

My hope is maybe less kids the end of August because school is starting soon.

Don't get me wrong, I like kids (even had one Lolol) but we watched her. Unsupervised kids (and their parents!) are a pet peeve of mine.

I visited the adults only pool this morning around 9:30am and it was blissfully quiet! It's a nice resort, just very "Disney busy" with a lot of kids and families. Even well behaved kids are loud & splashy in pools ... and there are a lot of them here now (including my two). Plus, it is the weekend, so that may be affecting crowds.

I did not mean to come off sounding so negative. Our experience has been good - we received an upgrade, housekeeping has been great, valet prompt & courteous and we had a small maintenance issue that was settled in record time - service here puts WDW resorts to shame IMO. I don't regret coming here at all and think it's a very neat place.

As three adults, I think your experience will be different than mine as an adult with 2 tweens.

As a family of four, 2 Adult sons, 27 and almost 19, we "retreated" to the adult area for about 2 hours later in the day in May...

LOVED:thumbsup2 the extremely comfortable chaise loungers and the tranquility of the adult pool! Also, LOVED :) the beautiful two level hot tub which was absolutely "patrolled" by lifeguards asking the occasional underage guest to leave as it was adults only!:thumbsup2

We did witness children wandering without proper supervision, imo!
I think at resorts in general, people tend to "let their guard down" because they are in this amazing place..:scared1::scared1:

PRECIOUS children are SO EASILY taken today, that on vacation parents need to be mindful that even though you may feel like you are in "paradise" stranger
dangers are always there!:scared1::scared1:

My goodness I love these boards, you are all awesome for responding! I totally forgot about the adult pool/hot tub, that will give me respite if I need it. I actually love Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon so that kind of puts a twist onto how I was thinking. I talked it over with dh and I think so long as he is prepared for that kind of busy atmosphere and wont over react then I will be fine. I have no problem with telling kids not to throw leaves etc but I do it with a syrupy sweet smile and they are usually stopped right in their tracks by a strange woman telling (not asking) them to behave-LOL. Thanks again for all the input, I have gotten past the panic and have changed my mind set.

My goodness I love these boards, you are all awesome for responding! I totally forgot about the adult pool/hot tub, that will give me respite if I need it. I actually love Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon so that kind of puts a twist onto how I was thinking. I talked it over with dh and I think so long as he is prepared for that kind of busy atmosphere and wont over react then I will be fine. I have no problem with telling kids not to throw leaves etc but I do it with a syrupy sweet smile and they are usually stopped right in their tracks by a strange woman telling (not asking) them to behave-LOL. Thanks again for all the input, I have gotten past the panic and have changed my mind set.

LOL! I had no problem telling the sand throwers to knock it off in my mean mommy voice - it was ridiculous.

It is a bit after 6:00am - the chair savers are out and about - it appears that they are saving chairs for every person in their party. We are going to Hanauma Bay or I would probably be joining them (if you can't beat 'em...).

LOL! I had no problem telling the sand throwers to knock it off in my mean mommy voice - it was ridiculous. It is a bit after 6:00am - the chair savers are out and about - it appears that they are saving chairs for every person in their party. We are going to Hanauma Bay or I would probably be joining them (if you can't beat 'em...).

I don't have the mean mommy voice, but I have the dreaded "teacher look". Lol. I may only be 4 foot 9 inches, but I have, as someone once said, "piercing Italian eyes"!!

Children who are having fun are not a bother. It's the parents that have the "entitlement" attitude that make me crazy. Yes, we all paid $$$ to come here. But your "enjoyment" shouldn't infringe on any one else's enjoyment" .

Our daughter has traveled with us extensively. She was taught from the beginning how to behave and has always been welcomed at any age. Only having one, and having a very involved husband, has made it possibly easier for me than most. I understand that, truly. But it is really important to teach common courtesy at a young age, so it is consistently part of life! :-)

Just made dinner reservations at AMA AMA for DD's 21st birthday on your recommendation! :-).
Tomorrow we'll make some decisions on excursions !

Thanks. I hope you all love it as much as I do.

We were there this June 22-29 with a party of 10 (had a grand villa!) consisting of 2 grandparents, 4 adults, and 4 children age 9-14. We didn't think it felt at all crowded that week. Didn't really have a problem finding chairs near the pool or lagoon and the resort seemed to absorb the amount of kids just fine.

After spending the next week on the Big Island we returned from July 5 - 8 with just 3 of us. This time it was very crowded. Big different between the two weeks. Chairs were more difficult to come by, they ran out of milk shakes for 2 days and no ice cream for the shave ice...they just seemed swamped. That said, we still had plenty of fun in the pools, lazy river, etc. We didn't encounter anything that would keep me from going back.

We never saw the adult pool with more than a few people in it either time we were there. I was surprised it wasn't busier. We did encounter a few kids in the adult infinity hot tub but CMs were quick to kick them out which I was pleased at.

Jim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter