Yikes, 911 down in Massachusetts in a heatwave

It’s the statewide system that’s down, I believe.

The Alert said to call local police business lines if needed. Probably not a bad idea to write local numbers down.

Boston Police sent this out earlier.

IMG_8125.jpeg

Anyone else think it is odd that there is no backup program of some kind?

Apparently the only way to call the fire dept is to pull a red handle somewhere

Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 3.58.47 PM.png

View attachment 869339
There is a number to call in that post, so no, it it not the only way to contact BFD. And 911 is back up, so a moot point now. Those boxes are actually extremely effective, there is one in my neighborhood and I would have zero hesitation using it. They have been around in some form since 1852. Not odd to people in Boston.

View attachment 869339
I find it odd that there is is just one 911 system for an entire state. There are seven incorporated cities here in Sacramento County. If my count is correct there are 12 independent 911 dispatch centers between the various law enforcement and fire department agencies. All 12 are capable of taking over another department's 911 calls if need be. And that is just in one county in California.

I find it odd that there is is just one 911 system for an entire state. There are seven incorporated cities here in Sacramento County. If my count is correct there are 12 independent 911 dispatch centers between the various law enforcement and fire department agencies. All 12 are capable of taking over another department's 911 calls if need be. And that is just in one county in California.
According to ( this site ), "Massachusetts is approximately 20,306 sq km, while California is approximately 403,882 sq km, making California 1,889% larger than Massachusetts." (bolding theirs)

From what else I read earlier, we have 232 PSAPs (Public Safety Answering Points) but I'm guessing it's the system that connects them that was down.

PS - The My Life Elsewhere site is pretty fun to play with!!

According to ( this site ), "Massachusetts is approximately 20,306 sq km, while California is approximately 403,882 sq km, making California 1,889% larger than Massachusetts." (bolding theirs)

From what else I read earlier, we have 232 PSAPs (Public Safety Answering Points) but I'm guessing it's the system that connects them that was down.

PS - The My Life Elsewhere site is pretty fun to play with!!
Sacramento County is 2,400 square km, so MUCH smaller than Massachusetts with multiple redundant and over lapping 911 systems.

IMG_2091.jpeg
This one is down the street from my house (my evening walk), there is another one literally 50 feet from my house (and a fire hydrant outside my dining room window). I trust that box, it works even when power and wireless is out! And having one so close in addition to the fire hydrant save me a decent amount on insurance!

There is a number to call in that post, so no, it it not the only way to contact BFD. And 911 is back up, so a moot point now. Those boxes are actually extremely effective, there is one in my neighborhood and I would have zero hesitation using it. They have been around in some form since 1852. Not odd to people in Boston.

View attachment 869371
This one is down the street from my house (my evening walk), there is another one literally 50 feet from my house (and a fire hydrant outside my dining room window). I trust that box, it works even when power and wireless is out! And having one so close in addition to the fire hydrant save me a decent amount on insurance!
Something that just hit me seeing your posts - I remember growing up they used to tell us that it costs $400 every time someone pulled the fire handle. Meant to dissuade kids from pulling false alarms. I wonder what that translates into today’s dollars? And I wonder how many are going to be pulled in the next few days now that they’ve called attention to them? :laughing:

Something that just hit me seeing your posts - I remember growing up they used to tell us that it costs $400 every time someone pulled the fire handle. Meant to dissuade kids from pulling false alarms. I wonder what that translates into today’s dollars? And I wonder how many are going to be pulled in the next few days now that they’ve called attention to them? :laughing:
I can't remember ever having anyone pull one as a prank, I'm sure it's happened. They are high enough off the ground that young kids really can't reach. I never heard anything about a fine growing up, I do remember being taught not to touch it unless it was a real fire. I'm sure there was some "threat" or scare tactic involved! 🤣

I can't remember ever having anyone pull one as a prank, I'm sure it's happened. They are high enough off the ground that young kids really can't reach. I never heard anything about a fine growing up, I do remember being taught not to touch it unless it was a real fire. I'm sure there was some "threat" or scare tactic involved! 🤣
I have heard on the scanners homeless people pulling them in the winter to get out of the rain and cold. They don't care if they are taken to the hospital or jail, either way they get out of the weather for a while and a meal.

I have heard on the scanners homeless people pulling them in the winter to get out of the rain and cold. They don't care if they are taken to the hospital or jail, either way they get out of the weather for a while and a meal.
I can definitely see that happening, it does get cold here in the winter. Don’t really have any homeless people in my neighborhood but you are right about a warm place and a meal. My neighbor is an ER doctor in a Boston hospital and he sees the homeless being brought in a lot in the winter, it’s mainly the people who are not able to get not a shelter due to various reasons. But back to the boxes, it was a pretty ingenious invention 150 years ago! Originally used a telegraph to alert the firefighters!

We had those boxes growing up. The fire whistle had a code -- a series of long and short blasts -- that identified the location of the box, so every time it went off we ran to check the list (posted on the kitchen cupboard) to find out where was the fire. That allowed the volunteers to go directly to the location and the paid staff brought the trucks from the firehouse. The fire department would test one each day at noon, a different location each day. Since kids were always outside most of the day in the summer, we'd all gather around when we saw the truck pull into our neighborhood shortly before noon because sometimes they'd allow one of us to pull it.

I no longer live in that community but I think they still have the boxes, but updated and no ability to determine the location from the whistle.

Per DH (dispatcher), it was also down in Rhode Island, New Hampshire, and Maine.
Hmm. I live in Maine and we got the alert, but that was quickly followed by another emergency alert saying MA was down but NOT Maine. The local news also said that MA went down and the alert was mistakenly sent out in Maine, but Maine was not down.

We’re a family of Californians currently on vacation in Boston. The 911 alert pinged our phones and watches several times on Tuesday. Never had that happen where we live.

Hmm. I live in Maine and we got the alert, but that was quickly followed by another emergency alert saying MA was down but NOT Maine. The local news also said that MA went down and the alert was mistakenly sent out in Maine, but Maine was not down.
Do you live in Massachusetts or were you driving over the boarder when it went down?
That was the explanation given for other states getting the messages

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter