• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

"YARC" Post of the Week, DESIRE!!!

windwalker

I need an Adventure
We are inspired to stay healthy. A wonderfull concept, leading a healthy lifestyle has many rewards and lots of satisfaction. But sometimes in our quest for fitness, something strange happens. We want to see how good we can be, heck it's our bodies we start wondering what they are capable of.

We often say wow I wish I could run that fast or walk that fast or complete a triathlon. Well the difference between those people and the rest of us is desire. If you want to be the best you can be than every goal you achieve must be not the finish but the starting line for going after the next goal.

I'm currently on an journey myself:

http://bgrr.com/results/results08RFC.htm#5KwalkOA

Charles Waller is the fastest over 50 racewalker in Kentucky. He lives in Louisville but drives down to Bowling Green where I live because we have better walk races here. He comes down and picks up the easy prize money, not a lot of prize money in walk races here but several have from $100 to $250. Also nice trophies and prizes like free shoes or gift cards.

The link is from the 5K race that was the Saturday after Erica's surgery that I didn't go to. The Next time I go toe to toe with this fellow will be July 9th. I will make a promise to my WISH friends and you can hold me accountable:

Before this year is done when Charles comes down to Bowling Green all he is gonna see is the back of my WISH shirt while I'm beating him. He will know by years end that this is my piece of dirt and the "easy wins" are over.

This post is not about me, I use my dream, my desire, as an example. If you want to be your best and accomplish your dreams you have to define them and focus on them.

What are your fitness dreams? What are you doing to accomplish them? Don't be afraid to go for something that seems crazy. You may find as you get closer to it, that it's not so crazy after all.

"YARC" Panda:hippie:

I am dreaming about the day I finish a half in under 2 hours.
Or a full in 4:30.
I have been close to the 2 hour mark and now I know what it will take to get there. I just don't know if I have it in me. I know I left everything I had on the course when I finsihed in 2:01:18. But I am just so close...
I think I can get the 4:30 in my next marathon. I think I could have done it at Disney this year if I had not been trying to get my girls through the marathon. I wouldn't change a single thing about that marathon though. Next time, there is always a next time!

My original goal when I started in Jan was to do the WDW 1/2 in Jan 2009. At the time I figured that was the best I could hope for. Even though it's only been a few months I now truly feel like with proper training and time I can do more!

There is a women's only local mini-tri during the summer that I heard about last week. I'm a strong swimmer, quick cyclist and am positive I can increase my walking speed to keep up. Although the WDW 1/2 is a still a goal, I'm actually thinking about that tri for 2009. And believing I can do it thanks to WISH!

Before this year is done when Charles comes down to Bowling Green all he is gonna see is the back of my WISH shirt while I'm beating him. He will know by years end that this is my piece of dirt and the "easy wins" are over.

Not to get technical or anything, but if you are beating him wouldn't he be covering his head in the defensive manner and rolling on the ground in pain. ;) Here I thought that you were a gentle soul. :rolleyes1 There are also some WISHers that could probably help with a Harding/Kerrigan attack if needed and could provide bail money if necessary.

Good luck in your quest. We will keep you accountable and of course be more than willing to spend your prize money for you if you can't find a good way.

Bill

My dream at this point is to Finish the Goofy in 2009. I've never been more proud of myself then finishing my first Marathon, but I'm sure if I can do both in 09 it will come close.

So time for both of those races will be right before the 3:30 and 7:00 cut off's so I can get all 3 medals.

My dream at this point is to Finish the Goofy in 2009. I've never been more proud of myself then finishing my first Marathon, but I'm sure if I can do both in 09 it will come close.

So time for both of those races will be right before the 3:30 and 7:00 cut off's so I can get all 3 medals.

We did the Goofy this year and it's sweet getting that third medal. Erica and I will only do the Marathon in 2009 to give her feet more time to heal properly. But we will be going Goofy again in 2010.

Bill, the thought has crossed my mind, but yes I'm a gentle soul now.

Liz, awesome goal, you can do it. As Henry Ford said, "If you think you can or you think you can't, you will be right".

Cruella, you are an amazing person, your a good athlete and a teriffic coach. I've seen you TnT coaches doing your thing out there. All of you guys are aces. I know I tease them, but if the truth be known, I have a deep respect for them.

Panda, if I don't get swept next weekend, my first dream will be achieved: I will officially be off the darn sofa!

I dream of having a fitter body for summer--spending my summer off doing physical activity without being exhausted. Toned abs. Not so many squishy parts in places there shouldn't be squishy parts.

I want to finish the half next January without getting swept, too. :)

Duckie :)

Panda, if I don't get swept next weekend, my first dream will be achieved: I will officially be off the darn sofa!

I dream of having a fitter body for summer--spending my summer off doing physical activity without being exhausted. Toned abs. Not so many squishy parts in places there shouldn't be squishy parts.

I want to finish the half next January without getting swept, too. :)

Duckie :)

Duckie you will do great. You won't get swept either, you will do way better than you imagine right now.

Duckie you will do great. You won't get swept either, you will do way better than you imagine right now.

Thanks for the encouragement, Panda! I wish you were going to be there--in my head, you have some "secret" finetuning that shaves 30 seconds off my mile ("Start with your LEFT foot! You'll walk MUCH faster!" or some such silliness). I'm still not feeling particularly athletic, so I'm panicking!

Thanks for the encouragement, Panda! I wish you were going to be there--in my head, you have some "secret" finetuning that shaves 30 seconds off my mile ("Start with your LEFT foot! You'll walk MUCH faster!" or some such silliness). I'm still not feeling particularly athletic, so I'm panicking!

When I'm trying to maintain a pace I mentally remind myself to "Stay loose", don't tightenup and fight it, just relax and let it happen. Try not to dwell on the effort, let your mind wander, enjoy the sights and let your body take care of business.

All your WISH friends will be there to help you along. Remember that WISH shirt is made with Pixy Dust, just believe in the magic.

"YARC" Panda

My dreams are few, but important to me:

In no particular order:

- Goofy '09
- AFAC Tri @ WDW in September
- I'm SERIOUSLY considering a series of 3 1/2's in Jacksonville in the fall. They are cheap to run & have cool bling. Hopefully by then I'll be in the kind of shape I need
- Get under 200 lbs weight

I think these are all attainable. The last is the hardest 'cause I eat too much CRAP!!!!

The long term:

1/2 in under 2, full in under 4:30, average 18 mph on the bike for 2 hours +.

My problem: I think (upon brutal self examination) is that I think I lack a certain amount of mental toughness required to get quicker. My only coach is myself & you guys. My work schedule kinda' makes it hard to have a coach or training partner. The guy I do events with works a different schedule & he's slower. I'm a solo trainer & I think it hurts my results some. Whine, whine, whine, blahblahblah. I've just got to find the reserve myself.

Somewhere..................................

But you guys are all freakin' AWESOME!!!

Jim I train by myself also, except for the two days a week Erica and I can walk together. I think that is because I bore the crap out of everyone with my stories.:upsidedow

"YARC" Panda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter