Wyndham trade into DVC

pmaurer74

DIS Veteran
I am not sure if this is in the right place. I have a chance to take over a Wyndham timeshare for 150,000 points. Looking at the Wyndham site it does not look like I can get as much as I thought, however I have heard you can trade into DVC but have also heard it is a real pain.... does anyone know how it works? What would I be able to trade for 150,000 points? I am thinking of passing on it.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place...

For WDW DVCs, the most I've seen was 105,000 for a 1 bedroom and 165,000 for a 2 bedroom. Some dates are less.

Here's the point chart:
Demand Studio 1 Bedroom 2 Bedroom 3 Bedroom or More
Prime 90,000 126,000 205,000 300,000
High 77,000 105,000 165,000 232,000
Value 52,000 77,000 126,000 159,000
Quiet 35,000 63,000 77,000 112,000

SSR is the easiest to get now, but availability is unpredictable. Sounds like you would get the timeshare for free? Some resorts have lower maintenance fees than others. There are some very knowledgeable people on TUG who can tell you if the particular resort you're looking at is a good deal.

Hopefully, JimMIA will comment. I thought he owned Wyndham. Or Brian Noble. He might own there as well.

it was pretty easy to get DVC a couple of years ago. been tough to get more than a stray 1BR at SSR lately from what I've heard on TUG.

I'd also recommend TUG as a resource before jumping into a non-DVC timeshare. they can be a good deal in some cases but buying to trade for something specific (like DVC) can be a very bad idea. the trading environment changes on a regular basis.

I'm starting to think about buying in Wyndham for travel to other places but having trouble researching it. What is TUG?

For WDW DVCs, the most I've seen was 105,000 for a 1 bedroom and 165,000 for a 2 bedroom. Some dates are less.

Here's the point chart:
Demand Studio 1 Bedroom 2 Bedroom 3 Bedroom or More
Prime 90,000 126,000 205,000 300,000
High 77,000 105,000 165,000 232,000
Value 52,000 77,000 126,000 159,000
Quiet 35,000 63,000 77,000 112,000

SSR is the easiest to get now, but availability is unpredictable. Sounds like you would get the timeshare for free? Some resorts have lower maintenance fees than others. There are some very knowledgeable people on TUG who can tell you if the particular resort you're looking at is a good deal.

I would have to pay a $300 transfer fee but yes it would be free. MFs are about $60 per month. We just bought a DVC so my DH does not want another timeshare.

I would have to pay a $300 transfer fee but yes it would be free. MFs are about $60 per month. We just bought a DVC so my DH does not want another timeshare.
Wyndham is a good complement to DVC, which resort are the points based at? The reason I ask is that points are generally by resort for Wyndham and whether it's a high or low cost MF resort would make a difference as to what's reasonable just to get into the system.

Wyndham is a good complement to DVC, which resort are the points based at? The reason I ask is that points are generally by resort for Wyndham and whether it's a high or low cost MF resort would make a difference as to what's reasonable just to get into the system.
It is a Williamsburg resort so i would guess low cost? I know she is a silver member

It is a Williamsburg resort so i would guess low cost? I know she is a silver member
If it's a relative and you can get it transferred gratis to keep the silver benefits, I'd say go for it. As for fees, IIRC Kingsgate is pretty decent on fees and the other 2 (Gov Green, Patriot's place) relatively expensive. If you want into Wyndham I think it's worthwhile, if your intent is to trade to DVC mostly, I wouldn't think Wyndham the best option. A good RCI points resort (non Orlando), Bluegreen, a fractional, Worldmark or a UDI (Undivided Interest option) would likely be better choices for this purpose if one wanted to go the non DVC route.

150,000 points wouldn't be silver VIP. It's 400,000 points or 300,000 if grandfathered in before the change. Not that it makes much difference for RCI exchanges, only thing I can think of would be the unlimited housekeeping credits.

If it's a relative and you can get it transferred gratis to keep the silver benefits, I'd say go for it. As for fees, IIRC Kingsgate is pretty decent on fees and the other 2 (Gov Green, Patriot's place) relatively expensive. If you want into Wyndham I think it's worthwhile, if your intent is to trade to DVC mostly, I wouldn't think Wyndham the best option. A good RCI points resort (non Orlando), Bluegreen, a fractional, Worldmark or a UDI (Undivided Interest option) would likely be better choices for this purpose if one wanted to go the non DVC route.
It is Patriots Place. It says on her profile she is a silver member perhaps she has been a member a very long time. She bought at the same time as my other aunt so maybe they had a deal? Anyway what are the silver level benefits? Thank you for your help.. also how does it work to trade into DVC?

It is Patriots Place. It says on her profile she is a silver member perhaps she has been a member a very long time. She bought at the same time as my other aunt so maybe they had a deal? Anyway what are the silver level benefits? Thank you for your help.. also how does it work to trade into DVC?
I'm not well versed in the VIP levels or their benefits nor in exchanging to DVC using Wyndham. so I'll let others answer that for you. Right now there are four 1BR units at SSR between Jan & March for 105K using their system. It seems to work much like the DVC RCI exchange does though I haven't actually used it for an exchange since I have options that work better for me doing so. I did find some web info on VIP but most everything was old and/or on timeshare resellers site so I wasn't comfortable posting links here.

Let me correct one thing I said earlier, I misread the info I looked at on Patriot's Place Maint fees and it look's like it's billed per week rather than per thousand points there. It looks like it's still higher than some for that level but I'm a little less certain than my initial look as to the level. With club dues it appears to be somewhere in the $1050 per week range total if it's a higher demand week if I'm reading correctly. You should be able to look at your Aunt's account to see for certain. For comparison, The older Smokies property should be closer to $775 for 154K I believe. Jim owns there and could be more exacting I'm sure. I'm still inclined to proceed only if you get Silver benefits but as noted above, this level may not qualify. I wonder if your Aunts bought together to get the VIP benefits and jointly own both contracts in some way.

Regardless, I'm a big fan of a good mini system that fits for a given person to complement DVC. But one must have enough volume of vacation to make it workable and find a good fit at a good price. I'd never recommend a novice buy mainly to do DVC exchanges alone.

I'm not well versed in the VIP levels or their benefits nor in exchanging to DVC using Wyndham. so I'll let others answer that for you. Right now there are four 1BR units at SSR between Jan & March for 105K using their system. It seems to work much like the DVC RCI exchange does though I haven't actually used it for an exchange since I have options that work better for me doing so. I did find some web info on VIP but most everything was old and/or on timeshare resellers site so I wasn't comfortable posting links here.

Let me correct one thing I said earlier, I misread the info I looked at on Patriot's Place Maint fees and it look's like it's billed per week rather than per thousand points there. It looks like it's still higher than some for that level but I'm a little less certain than my initial look as to the level. With club dues it appears to be somewhere in the $1050 per week range total if it's a higher demand week if I'm reading correctly. You should be able to look at your Aunt's account to see for certain. For comparison, The older Smokies property should be closer to $775 for 154K I believe. Jim owns there and could be more exacting I'm sure. I'm still inclined to proceed only if you get Silver benefits but as noted above, this level may not qualify. I wonder if your Aunts bought together to get the VIP benefits and jointly own both contracts in some way.

Regardless, I'm a big fan of a good mini system that fits for a given person to complement DVC. But one must have enough volume of vacation to make it workable and find a good fit at a good price. I'd never recommend a novice buy mainly to do DVC exchanges alone.
thank you for all of your help. It does sounds confusing. I told my husband that $60 per month for a 1 bedroom at Disney is a great deal! Would I be able to use my Wyndham points to book a DVC room for a family member? Do you think I should just call and talk to someone at Wyndham to get the answers I need or will they not talk to me since I am not a member?

thank you for all of your help. It does sounds confusing. I told my husband that $60 per month for a 1 bedroom at Disney is a great deal! Would I be able to use my Wyndham points to book a DVC room for a family member? Do you think I should just call and talk to someone at Wyndham to get the answers I need or will they not talk to me since I am not a member?
I think you'll find the cost is a little more but if you can get exchanges and use them, they can be good deals. Costs would include the Maint fees, club dues, exchange fee, guest certificate fee if applicable and the extra $95 fee DVC charges. Realistically getting a SSR 1 BR is workable only if flexible and willing to put the time into it to play with it all the time. I would not buy just to exchange only if one doesn't also want to take advantage of the ownership outside of DVC. Wyndham won't talk to you directly but your Aunt could call and ask.

I think you'll find the cost is a little more but if you can get exchanges and use them, they can be good deals. Costs would include the Maint fees, club dues, exchange fee, guest certificate fee if applicable and the extra $95 fee DVC charges. Realistically getting a SSR 1 BR is workable only if flexible and willing to put the time into it to play with it all the time. I would not buy just to exchange only if one doesn't also want to take advantage of the ownership outside of DVC. Wyndham won't talk to you directly but your Aunt could call and ask.
My aunt is deceased... I did not mention that originally, sorry. I did not realize there were fees in the exchange but that makes sense.

My aunt is deceased... I did not mention that originally, sorry. I did not realize there were fees in the exchange but that makes sense.
That does complicate matters. Is it still in here name? Are there others listed on the contract? Did she buy jointly with the other Aunt you mentioned?

That does complicate matters. Is it still in here name? Are there others listed on the contract? Did she buy jointly with the other Aunt you mentioned?
it is very complicated and my parent spoke with Wyndham directly since we did not know who the beneficiary is.... they said there was none listed. They said we could take it over for $300 or give it back to them for $300. I think my aunt originally paid about $7500 for it about 15 years ago. I know she bought it at the same time as my other aunt. They said it would take 10-12 weeks to transfer.

it is very complicated and my parent spoke with Wyndham directly since we did not know who the beneficiary is.... they said there was none listed. They said we could take it over for $300 or give it back to them for $300. I think my aunt originally paid about $7500 for it about 15 years ago. I know she bought it at the same time as my other aunt. They said it would take 10-12 weeks to transfer.
As I noted, I'd personally do it only if it was silver unless you simply want to go there. I'm concerned it's not silver OR she owned jointly with the other Aunt. As for paying to get them to take it, that may or may not be necessary. If she had assets that would go through probate then it may be, if she really didn't have anything then it likely isn't. The estate wouldn't be able to be settled until it's taken care of. One other thing to look at is which specific week it is. If it's a good week like 4th of July, that might sway me as well.

I am a VIP gold owner with Wyndham and use my points to trade into DVC. I also highly suggest TUG. You'll find me over there, too. :)

It's not necessarily a bad deal. You'll have to pay $299 to transfer the deed. In addition the maintenance fees, you'll also pay $209 to RCI for each online exchange and $95 to Disney for a DVC trade. $60 x 12 months = $720, plus $209 to RCI, plus $95 to Disney = $1024. That's almost exactly what I figure my DVC weeks cost when I exchange. Then you'll have leftover points to decide what to do with as well. Depending on where you live, you might find a 2-3 night stay to enjoy at one of the lower points priced resorts. If you choose a one-bedroom unit elsewhere, you wouldn't need to add in the $95 Disney fee. You could credit pool your points at the beginning of your use year ($39 fee) and then have 300,000 points every-other-year and book a three bedroom prime season somewhere (not DVC). We just stayed at Royal Dunes on Hilton Head Island this summer (peak season, holiday week) for 300,000 points plus the RCI fee. Your total then would be $1688 for the week. ($60*24+$209 RCI + $39 Credit Pool fee).

I'm not sure how many housekeeping/transaction credits you'd have, but you want to look into that as well. I have unlimited with gold.

Using the credit pool option, you could have a good number of points every-other-year for some nice stays. For me, the purchase would need to make sense based on your location and time off. The Dells units really made our ownership much more valuable to us.

Come join us over on TUG. You'll have a wealth of knowledgeable timesharing people who are incredibly helpful and kind in figuring out how to make the best of your ownership.

As far as RCI trades go, it used to be easy to trade into DVC through RCI. Now SSR is pretty available for one bedrooms most of the time, but other resorts are rare and often require searching 2+ years in advance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter