WWYD? my camera is broken

luvmyfam444

DIS Veteran
have the Canon Powershot A510 had it about 1 .5 yrs I guess --have ABSOLUTELY loved it - but it has stopped taking photos - it THINKS its taking them but if you go back & view its a blank screen -nothing there - have changed memory cards & all...SOOOO naturally to get it fixed it needs to be sent to Chicago (I think that's what Canon said) & then who knows how much it'll cost to be fixed...

ANyone every sent a camera off to be fixed like this - & is it worth it or is it smarted to just go ahead & buy a new one? Right now I'm borrowing my mom's point & shoot - but I SO MISS my digital...I didnt' pay a ton for it maybe $150?? it's just a 3.2mp---perfect for us...

What would you do????

my advice is just to buy a new one. Either S2 IS or A620. Shipping and labour cost will easily cost about $100-ish, plus the price of the parts. Once you get it back you'll only get 3 months service warranty.

but do I want to spend that much $ if the camera isn't gonna last me that long? Now I'm skiddish since this one has these problems - & the camera has never been dropped or anything like that...so I'm worried about forking out so much $ again & having something happen in another year or so...KWIM??? so I'm tempted to buy the cheap end of the Cannon power shot again - the A520 is it??? in the under $200 range - or whatever I can find on clearance maybe an even older model (but still newer than what I've got)

I jsut hate to think I'd spend that $ & it would be useless.....

we live in a disposable society. Any camera at all, once they're broken, they tend to be a throwaway. My personal preference is get a dSLR, spend big money once, you can use it at least for 8000 shots (if you're in bad luck) or if you buy something like 30D (about $2K including 18-125 Sigma lens) in theory you should get 100,000 shots (yes, one hundred thousand). Also you'll get the quality, virtually no shutter lag, far better performance, the list goes on.

I wouldn't recommend anything lower than a Fuji F10.

I would personally recommend Rebel XT or Nikon D50 with Sigma 18-200 lens (total maybe around $1500 including shipping and CF card) and be done with it. Use it as a point and shoot with far better quality and will last longer than your average point and shoot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter