• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

WWYD: 2 bdrm @ beach club or Old Key West?

DVCanadian

Mouseketeer
What would you do?

2 bedroom for 9 days at beach club OR
2 bedroom for 11 days at Old key west.

Kids are 11 and 9.
Trip would be the last week of August and first week of September this year.

So conflicted between staying longer at OKW or first time at BCV (everyone says it is great).

This is our fifth trip. We have already stayed at BLT and AKV (twice).

Appreciate any advice or things to consider. Thanks!

for that amount of time, what about a split stay.?We have done this a few times and are planning this march as well. Split BLT for first 3 nights for MK then over to BC for last 4 nights for EPCOT and HS. Also lets you try out other resorts.

If you don't do a split stay I would definitely do BCV. OKW is beautiful and is very laid back. I would not stay there without a car. We have been OKW owners since 1993( BWV owners since 2004) and our kids absolutely loved OKW. SAB is the best pool on property, the food court, access to other resorts and their restaurants, Boardwalk entertainment, walking distance to HS and Epcot are all reasons I would select BCV. We stayed at OKW in May with two of our four children and their toddlers after that stay we decided to sell OKW and buy more points at the BW. The BW area offers so many things to enhance your stay.

I asked my kids about this and they said: See if we could do a split stay for 10 days.

I then asked, what if a split stay was not available? And they replied: BVC.

They were a little torn between 9 nights at BVC and 11 days at WDW, but they really liked their last stay at BVC. Reasons cited were: the pool, Beaches and Cream, and walking to two parks.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the fast responses!

Very helpful. We aren't really for or against a split stay but the points don't work. I will double check though.

We aren't sure a split stay is worth the trouble for one extra day,

I asked my kids about this and they said: See if we could do a split stay for 10 days.

I then asked, what if a split stay was not available? And they replied: BVC.

They were a little torn between 9 nights at BVC and 11 days at WDW, but they really liked their last stay at BVC. Reasons cited were: the pool, Beaches and Cream, and walking to two parks.

Hope this helps.

It does! The reasons you listed were why we thought BCV would be better, and the kids agree except that more days at Disney is better than less!

We aren't sure a split stay is worth the trouble for one extra day,
I can't believe you typed it out loud!:rotfl2: We're talking about an extra day at WDW!

My kids suggest 3-4 nights at BCV and the rest at OKW.

Whatever you decide will be just fine... You are at WDW! Plus, you know you're going back!:thumbsup2

We own at both OKW and BCV. When we have a large group we stay at the GV at OKW and enjoy the extra room and peace and quiet. With a small group we prefer BCV. It is just so conveniently located, has an awesome pool and since EPCOT is our favorite park, we love entering and leaving through the International Gateway. If you have not stayed here before I would recommend trying BCV !!

Here is how it turned out. We used everyone's feedback to revisit our plan and decided:

2 nights at BLT theme park view studio (wait list the poly studio)
5 night OKW 1 bedroom
5 nights BCV2 bedrooms

1 point cheaper than our previous plan!

My sister just stayed at OKW and hated it. They had numerous problems including mold in their room, they were moved and received compensation they didn't request.

Other then that they just felt it was a really noisy resort. They could hear the busses and traffic from nearby roads in their room and just overall it felt run down and not nice. Lots of sirens almost daily too. They could actually see daylight around the edges of the windows because they needed to be resealed.

I went one day to visit and I have to say I wasn't impressed either, felt more like a local apartment/condo layout then a Disney resort.

I'd definitely without a doubt go Beach Club instead. The pool is AWESOME and walking to Epcot is great! Totally different atmosphere, much more magical.

My sister said they'll never return to OKW again.

Just read one of your follow up replies, considering where you've stayed before I highly suggest you drop the OKW, I think you'll be really disappointed. It's not quiet or peaceful and it's simply just not as nice as the places you've previously stayed.

I will agree that If I found mold in my room, I would want to be moved. I am glad your sister was able to be placed in a different room. We have owned at OKW since 1992. Some parts are louder than others. If your room is close to a bus stop you may hear the buses. But having stayed all over the resort I still say it is generally a quiet, peaceful, roomy place to stay. It is very much like a community and that for many people is part of its appeal. We also own at BCV and agree that it is a very convenient location with some amenities not available at OKW. OKW is roomier and fewer points. BCV has a great location but uses more points. It depends what each family is looking for in their vacation.We enjoy both resorts and think that as far as choosing a resort- to each their own.

Here is how it turned out. We used everyone's feedback to revisit our plan and decided:

5 night OKW 1 bedroom
5 nights BCV2 bedrooms

Great work!

5 night OKW 1 bedroom
5 nights BCV2 bedrooms

I like this combo since you start off with a small room and get bigger. The reverse would be awful.
Good on ya and splits are not that bad. Now plan your days and parks around the closer resorts.

My kids prefer OKW to BCV hands down. Although the pool is great at BCV, they like that the pool isn't as crowded and there are basketball and tennis courts adjacent. Great that you have a split stay so you will be able to try them both!:goodvibes

5 night OKW 1 bedroom
5 nights BCV2 bedrooms

I like this option. Now you've got a longer trip and use of SAB. You could switch things to the OKW 2 bedroom and BCV 1 bedroom and probably get another night in! With 2 parks within walking distance and the SAB pool you'll probably not be in your room at BCV as much as at OKW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter