Would you leave OKW for SSR?

HM2012Butler

Mouseketeer
Hello all! I have family coming down to visit this summer and I have not been helpful in a decision they are trying to make. Currently they are at OKW with a 1Br on Peninsular Road. They love OKW and they love the Peninsular Road location. BUT thanks to a helpful friend who works at a resort, he would be able to assist us in getting a room at SSR with a view of Disney Springs. They are not the biggest fans of SSR. Do you think the view and ability to walk to DS is enough to make you move? I really couldn't help them decide so I figure I should ask the experts! Thanks!

If they aren't fans of SSR, I don't know why switching is on the table. Same unit type (1BR)? Easy choice. They should stay at OKW.

Not me. I'd take OKW over SSR any day. The OKW 1-bedroom is more spacious (291 sq ft larger) and officially sleeps 5.

thanks! I would say I'm inclined to tell them to stay too! But I do see the draw to SSR seeing that their is the walk to DS and the nice view of DS!

OKW also has more character than SSR. To me, SSR just feels like a very large apartment complex.

I totally agree (and I think they would too)! I just think the View and walk are enticing. Those are really the only reasons the move is being considered

I guess I'll be somewhat of an outlier here. If by "family" you're talking one couple, then to me, the difference in area is not such a significant factor. I'm not saying it isn't nice to have, I'm simply saying that for two people it would not be a deciding factor for my wife and I, especially considering the limited amount of time we spend in our room. As for a "View" of DS, that is not necessarily a big factor, but again, for my wife and I, we like DS, and to be able to easily walk over there is a nice benefit. We enjoy getting over there early before any of the retail shops open and have the run of the place to ourselves, and especially like to get breakfast at Earl of Sandwich. I think that is one of the best breakfast deals anywhere. But in the end, the difference in points could be the deciding factor. I have never really understood the 20-25 additional points for a week in a 1-BR at SSR over OKW, a difference that will be 30+ points beginning in 2017. In general, that's like getting one extra night "free" at OKW. So the decision really comes down to which of the pros/cons are most important to your family. Enjoy the planning!

I guess I'll be somewhat of an outlier here. If by "family" you're talking one couple, then to me, the difference in area is not such a significant factor. I'm not saying it isn't nice to have, I'm simply saying that for two people it would not be a deciding factor for my wife and I, especially considering the limited amount of time we spend in our room. As for a "View" of DS, that is not necessarily a big factor, but again, for my wife and I, we like DS, and to be able to easily walk over there is a nice benefit. We enjoy getting over there early before any of the retail shops open and have the run of the place to ourselves, and especially like to get breakfast at Earl of Sandwich. I think that is one of the best breakfast deals anywhere. But in the end, the difference in points could be the deciding factor. I have never really understood the 20-25 additional points for a week in a 1-BR at SSR over OKW, a difference that will be 30+ points beginning in 2017. In general, that's like getting one extra night "free" at OKW. So the decision really comes down to which of the pros/cons are most important to your family. Enjoy the planning!
Thanks Joe! It is 3 of them and I may be staying a night here and there depending on how much alcohol is consumed! So it would be a tight fit at SSR. They certainly don't spend a lot of time in the room to enjoy the view but it may be something they enjoy seeing before bed or first thing in the morning. The walk to DS could be very nice. I am going to show them this thread and hopefully it will help them decide!

Thanks Joe! It is 3 of them and I may be staying a night here and there depending on how much alcohol is consumed! So it would be a tight fit at SSR. They certainly don't spend a lot of time in the room to enjoy the view but it may be something they enjoy seeing before bed or first thing in the morning. The walk to DS could be very nice. I am going to show them this thread and hopefully it will help them decide!

Based on this information, I would definitely vote for OKW (if you think you can make it that far back from the evening's revelries :) ).

OKW has lots of nice space for three people, and assuming two of them will be in the master bedroom, then there will be a nice bonus for you if you decide to spend a night or two...OKW 1BR has a sleeper chair in addition to the sleeper sofa. So you would get your own sleeping space. That would not be available at SSR where you'd have to share with the sleeper sofa person.

Last edited:
After having stayed at SSR for half my trip last time with the view of DS and the foot bridge not far to the left of my room in Congress Park, my answer would be yes-hands down! But to each his own.

Based on this information, I would definitely vote for OKW (if you think you can make it that far from the evening's revelries :) ).

OKW has lots of nice space for three people, and assuming two of them will be in the master bedroom, then there will be a nice bonus for you if you decide to spend a night or two...OKW 1BR has a sleeper chair in addition to the sleeper sofa. So you would get your own sleeping space. That would not be available at SSR where you'd have to share with the sleeper sofa person.

Thank you! Not having to share does sound pretty nice!!

After having stayed at SSR for half my trip last time with the view of DS and the foot bridge not far to the left of my room in Congress Park, my answer would be yes-hands down! But to each his own.

Ah! Here comes the indecisiveness again! I thought I was about to be set on OWK since most everyone said OKW. Although it does help that you have stayed in the area where we would be staying! Thank you for your help

No way! Stay at old key west! Saratoga is my least favorite out of all the DVC resorts.

Saratoga was probably cooler back when pleasure island had nightly fireworks.

How many times are you going to walk over to DS ? Every night or additionally in a morning or two, than yes for sure move. 2 or 3 times during the stay, than I certainly would not. OKW is very comfortable and a nice evening boat ride to DS is wonderful. Only time the boats were not running was one time in mid afternoon during one of our stays, due to a lightning storm that passed in about an hour. At OKW our summer view preference is golf course, Winter we like the canal views.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter