• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

worried about toe nails

Suzy Mouse

<font color=green>DIS Veteran<br><font color=99009
After last year's marathon, I grew blood blisters under 2 toenails and eventually lost those two nails. It might have been due to the socks :confused3 . I would like to try and prevent that from happening at this year's half. Any suggestions that I might be overlooking?

I usually have yucky second toes after races, but I have found that if I cut them really short it helps. I actually went and had a pedicure (without the scrubbing of the calluses) yesterday and just asked her to cut them nice and short. I usually do them myself, but decided to get them done to reduce the risk of cutting myself:goodvibes. Plus, with all the work I have been doing getting ready for these races I needed a little pampering and mickey heads on my toes::MickeyMo

I usually have yucky second toes after races, but I have found that if I cut them really short it helps. I actually went and had a pedicure (without the scrubbing of the calluses) yesterday and just asked her to cut them nice and short. I usually do them myself, but decided to get them done to reduce the risk of cutting myself:goodvibes. Plus, with all the work I have been doing getting ready for these races I needed a little pampering and mickey heads on my toes::MickeyMo

I did the same thing. Just got the pampering and Mickey heads. I need my Disneyworld pedi to get in the mood! ;)

I lost both of my 2nd toenails this year. Bad pair of shoes and my nails were too long. I now have new toenails, so it all worked out, but I would definitely recommend cutting all the nails pretty short.

Make sure to trim em! I did my long run of 10 miles a couple weeks ago and didn't have the nails short enough. The 3rd toe nail cut my 2nd toe and left my socks (and inside of my shoes) all bloody. :eek:

You just need to put this on your car:

toenailOVALredo.jpg

I have the same problem on my left 2nd toe - regardless of what I try...bigger shoes, more cushioned sock, trimmed toenails, etc...I always have some sort of injury to that nail bed. So when I saw that magnet at the Philly Rock N Roll Half expo this fall I had to buy it! :rotfl:

I had the same issue and was concerned last year going into Goofy that after the half my 2nd toe would have a blister and would be painful for the full. I started using a gel toe cap. I still get blisters occasionally but the toe cap has helped me a lot.

Of course each person is different but you should have shoes that properly fit, wear synthetic socks and trim your toenails as short as you can. Good luck.

And those Mickey heads will help you run faster, no doubt! ;)

Thanks everyone!! I already trimmed them down..but will file more on Wednesday.

Of course, YMMV, but are you guys sure your shoes are big enough? I wear a 9 in regular shoes, and a 10.5 in my running shoes. :scared1: I've never had toenail problems, ever.

You are making me want a pedicure, though. :rotfl: DH has been trying to get me to go in for a massage this week (I'm having some severe "My 5 month old is in the 90th percentile for weight" syndrome right now and it's only going to get worse when I'm carting him around Disney for a week)... I wonder if I can swing a pedi, as well. :thumbsup2

I had that problem until I got bigger shoes. So that is what worked for me but every person is different.

Of course, YMMV, but are you guys sure your shoes are big enough? I wear a 9 in regular shoes, and a 10.5 in my running shoes. :scared1: I've never had toenail problems, ever.

You are making me want a pedicure, though. :rotfl: DH has been trying to get me to go in for a massage this week (I'm having some severe "My 5 month old is in the 90th percentile for weight" syndrome right now and it's only going to get worse when I'm carting him around Disney for a week)... I wonder if I can swing a pedi, as well. :thumbsup2

Per my LRS, yes, I'm in the right size shoes. The guy felt the space in the toe box multiple times both before and after running. So that's not always the issue.

I'm not stressing. I've got one runner's toenail already. What's another? (I'm clearly SOOOOOO not a girly girl who gives a rip about her toes. LOL.)

I have the same issue w/ my pinky toes, but only when I wear a certain pair of shoes. Most likely your shoes are too small in the toebox. They may fit fine elsewhere, but if that toe box is too small you're in trouble. Go for a pair that has mesh all around perhaps. And of course keep em short--but you already knew that :goodvibes

My shoes are big! I have gone up to an 8.5 in running shoes and wear 7 IRL! I just have a very heavy footfall and when racing I tend to bruise the second toe. I also wear Asics specifically for the larger toebox. I can't wear any bigger shoes b/c I would be slipping out the backs!! I already have some issues with feeling loose in the heel since I have a narrow heel. Sometimes we just have to embrace the black toes! It's the price I pay for being a bada$$:cool2:

My shoes are big! I have gone up to an 8.5 in running shoes and wear 7 IRL! I just have a very heavy footfall and when racing I tend to bruise the second toe. I also wear Asics specifically for the larger toebox. I can't wear any bigger shoes b/c I would be slipping out the backs!! I already have some issues with feeling loose in the heel since I have a narrow heel. Sometimes we just have to embrace the black toes! It's the price I pay for being a bada$$:cool2:

Beth: Apparently, you and I have the same feet.;) Asics for me. I wear a 9 and am in a 10.5 running shoe, but my 2nd toe still gets messed up. And, I feel like my heels are always slipping out now, so I couldn't possibly go bigger.

not that I wish this on anyone, but I'm glad I'm not the only one. I keep mine short, but still almost lost the 2nd toe. It mostly lifted off but I trimmed it down down even more.

It felt good to have all that pressure gone, but started running again and I'm starting all over again :confused3

I lost my second left toenail when training for the Wine and Dine Half this year. Haven't had any trouble with my toenails during training for the WDW Half this weekend since I started using Wright socks and body glide liquified powder. No friction, no blisters, no lost toenails.

Add me to the list! I've already lost one and have two others that are black from my marathon training. Blech! My shoes are plenty big and I've got good socks. It's always my 3rd and 4th toes this happens to. I had to paint my toe where the nail should be so my feet wouldn't look quite so yucky! This happens to me whenever I train for long races. I just look at it as a sign of being hard core!;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter