• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Worried about my training program - help!

lenshanem

DIS Veteran
OK, I'm starting to worry about my training program I'm using for my first half on March 30th. Now that I'm getting closer it just seems like I don't have enough longer long runs left. I know that you taper, but is this too much tapering? I'm running my 10 miler tomorrow, but after that could I really only have a 6 and 12 miler long run left?!? The race isn't until March 30th and it is only February 27th! Please give me your opinions! Thanks sooo much!

week 11 - easy 3 / moderate 4 / easy 2 / long 10
week 12 - easy 3 / moderate 3 / easy 2 / long 6
week 13 - easy 3 / moderate 4 / easy 2 / long 12
week 14 - easy 3 / moderate 3 / easy 2 / long 3
week 15 - moderate 3 / easy 2 / half

Shan...

I think your training plan looks awesome! When I train for a half I don't even go over 10 miles...but that's me and I'm injury prone LOL! Anyway...I think taking rest weeks between the 10 and 12 miler is a smart idea. :thumbsup2 I also think you really have to consider how important it is to get to the starting line healthy and rested...which is why the plan has you taper and rest between those longer runs. Don't fret...you are going to be very prepared for this race. :)

What plan is this Galloway or Higdon? It looks VERY solid to me!!! :goodvibes

Agree with AmyBeth!

Remember, you have to get to the start line healthy and rested. I don't think I run more than 10 or 11 for 1/2 training, either. Enjoy the rest time! Your body will love you for it!

Oh, good. I was also worried when I realized I have only short runs for my last six before the half.

I'm using a program out of the Absolute Beginner's Guide To Half-Marathon Training. (The book also has 5K and 10K programs.)
It has three programs for each - walk, run/walk and run. I'm using the run.

I'm not crazy about this book, but I liked the programs when I compared them to others. I did read Marathoning for Mortals, but this program seemed easier to follow.

Those short runs are your taper Shan. It's a way o fdepriving your body adn making it crave runnign by teh time the race comes. Plus, it helps heal anything tha tmay be hurting.

You're good, Shan!

I did a real half in place of a 12 mile long run during my Goofy training. Since I anticipated taking it at a slow pace like a regular long run, I didn't taper at all. I found that I couldn't control myself, I went out way too fast, I was tired and achy, and I hated the last 7 miles or so.

Then I did the whole taper thing before the Disney half, drove myself crazy thinking I wasn't running enough, and felt great at the race! (I was panicking at the start because it had been so long since I'd run a long run, but it was fine- don't worry!)

Jen in GA

You are golden! I can't wait to hear of your event. Enjoy your taper madness! Your body will be ready to strike out and you will be over that finish line in good form! I look forward to your event report.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter