• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Working on Weight Loss During Training—New Year New Us!

Hi Everyone,

I really am struggling right now with eating. I've reverted back to some really bad habits.

Cindy, don't be scared. What is happening is normal and you have recognized it. Congratulations! :thumbsup2 You also have made some really good progress toward stopping. :banana:

I know I need a panic button sometimes during my weight loss. Maybe we're afraid of success. Maybe we don't know what we'll do or who we'll be or what goals we'll have left if we finally shed the weight for good -- who knows? :confused3 But all you've had experienced is a little blip, a wrong turn off the exit ramp -- just turn back around and head in the right direction. It's just that simple (and complicated). Being the weight you want to be is going to feel so good -- and you have so much to look forward to! Remember why you started this journey in the first place. Remember what is really important to you -- and I guarantee it isn't pretzels!

You're strong and intelligent and successful -- that's how you got into those smaller sizes :cool1: -- and you're going to be just fine. Deep breath! You can sooooo do this!

Thank you so much Wendy. I appreciate your kind words. I really can relate to the not knowing what goals I'll have once I've lost the weight. That has been my number one goal for so long. It will be a very new place for me to be. I like thinking it's just a "blip" and not the total catastrophe I've made it to be. Thank you for your voice of reason.

I managed to put the brakes on the runaway eating yesterday so I'm feeling a little better.

I hope everyone is having a great day.

Cindy

Good morning Pretty Princesses.

Don't let reaching your goals be a stress. We are blessed that we have goals and our adventures to look forward to. The part of the country I live in has a lot of what is refered to as "White Trash". Not a term I'm fond of but it's pretty discriptive. They seem to have a universal lack of ambition and a poor work ethic. But worse still is that they have seemingly given up on changing. Life is getting up going to work, coming home and sitting in front of the TV. Drinking and now drug use is their fun and adventure.

Look forward to everyday. The old saying, "Today is the first day of the rest of your life". That means that each new day gives you an opportunity to be that best 'you' that you are capable of. Also each day gives you a chance to work toward your goals.

Have an awesome day y'all.

Dave:hippie:

I live in the same type of area, just really north. We have a lot of unemployment and a lot of depression, etcetera. Then you add the winter on top of that and people tend to pad and get really lazy.

I was fortunate enough to stumble upon someone who came with a very health conscious family. I was already a competitive volleyball player, and an amateur body builder so this was a good fit for me. I have a lot of support from my in-laws and encouragement when I am down. I have got someone who challenges me constantly and picks me up on my bad days. :goodvibes

For those of you who do not have that, we are all here for you anytime you need us. :surfweb: Today IS the first day of the rest of your life and if you want it to be a long and healthy one, keep on doing what you do so well!!!:cheer2:

Good Afternoon!

I'm grabbing a quick lunch. We have a family dental appointment this afternoon (I schedule them back to back so we don't forget anyone!), so I get to leave work a bit early.

Yesterday I didn't move at all. I was just so tired. Ever since I started seriously training, I seem to not be able to get enough sleep. Has anyone else experienced that? I was going on 8 hours a night, so I don't think I was sleep deprived. It seems like all I can do after I work out in the evening is fall asleep, whether I want to or not.

I'm hoping to fit in a workout this afternoon, but it's dicey. Anyway, tomorrow is my weigh-in day, so we'll see how it's going. All this sleep I've been getting is more comfortable, so I've definitely lost some off my lower back.

Dave and Princessrunner (great name, by the way!) -- I work with homeless persons, so believe me I understand the concept of seeing conditions people live in and not wanting to be a part of it! Most of our guests have substance abuse and mental health issues, and change is not only really hard for them, it's really scary, too. It's a great motivator to see people who have to work really hard to master a basic function succeed. Surely I should be able to move mountains!:goodvibes

Cindy -- So glad to hear you're feeling better! It is really hard when the hungries hit. I have fallen with the best of them. I think it's progress when the eating and exercise derailments get shorter!:thumbsup2

Wendy -- I think you hit the nail on the head -- Why am I afraid to succeed?:confused3 Because I know on some really fundamental level I am.

Lisa -- I am a huge believer in portioning my food. It's a necessity, because otherwise I will eat the whole bag! At first it felt weird to have two cookies, but boy you savor them slowly if that's all you get!:rotfl:

Ok, I'm off to have pearly whites! Everyone have awesome walks, and eat healthy!

Maria

Lisa (I'm a lurker here, and couldnt resist answering your question... I'm over on the "Dis appearing Peep thread, and someone just posted your answer!! Melinda posted an article that said you should take the weight you want to be and multiply it by 12 and that's the number of calories you need to maintain that weight - and I do believe you are correct in adding the 200 calories for nursing - dont hesitate to ask your doctor - or LeLeche League (you dont have to be a member to go to their website and ask questions - they were extremely helpful to me~!)

Today is my third meeting with the nutritionist -- and weigh-in day. I know I didn't lose as much these last two weeks as I did the first two, which is to be totally expected and is absolutely reasonable -- and I resent the heck out of it. :laughing: Why can't we lose weight based on how hard it is rather than all those other factors, like age, metabolism, genetics, etc., etc.???? Grrrrrr.

I'll let you know how it pans out. I'm so glad you're all here to vent to. Thanks! :hug:

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to do a quick post to report on my progress -- down 2 lbs this week, for a total of six. That means I have 4 to go before Halloween, so I'd like to think I'm right on schedule.

Wendy -- I hope your meeting with the nutritionist went well, I'm sure you have some more wisdom for us!

Everyone have a great night, and for those of you racing this weekend, I wish you wings on your feet!

Maria

Can I come over here and hide they are abusing me over on the weekly thread. I hate it when I get blamed for everything I do.:upsidedow

Cindy that's wonderful that your right on track.:cheer2:

Can I come over here and hide they are abusing me over on the weekly thread. I hate it when I get blamed for everything I do.:upsidedow

Cindy that's wonderful that your right on track.:cheer2:

You're always welcome here, Dave! :wave2:

So the weigh-in was another 4 and something pounds (I should have written it down). About 2 pounds per week. It's not bad, but it's no "biggest loser."

I have a race-walking clinic today. Hopefully I'll learn something that will help me get a bit faster. I had one "lesson" in race-walking many years ago, but I never really knew what I was doing. This lady does these clinics all the time, so I'm excited.

And today is my anniversary! 17 years with the same adorable hunk -- I'm a blessed woman!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Awe, thanks Dave! They probably used some really good, BIG fertilizer to grow that beeeeee-utiful rose! :rotfl:

Wendy! Two pounds a week is perfect when you are losing weight. The only reason Biggest Losers can put up some of the numbers they do is because they have nothing else to do, but lose weight! They don't have everyday living to mess with. :sad2:

Maria! Way to GO!

I haven't been able to get my LSD in this week, I went to my D.O. with my back and he really worked me over, but the real-est reason is that the wind in sweeping down the plains here on the edge of Oklahoma! and it is carrying rocks and lawn furniture, and pets with it! ::yes::

I haven't been able to get my LSD in this week, I went to my D.O. with my back and he really worked me over, but the real-est reason is that the wind in sweeping down the plains here on the edge of Oklahoma! and it is carrying rocks and lawn furniture, and pets with it! ::yes::

I love the wind Connie. It feels so powerful like you are a part of nature not just watching it go by. When Erica and I were in Okinawa we would often go out to the beach during Typhoons and watch natures fury at it's wildest.

On our first date we drove to a light house at night. It sat on a cliff with the waves crashing against the rocks below, the wind always blew strongly here. We walked to the edge of the cliff and I throwed my old wedding ring to the sea. I had just divorced from my first wife.

Great story, Dave! I am so glad someone likes the wind, which makes me ask, "Why the heck don't you live in my neck of the woods, there is plenty of wind on daily basis?" It's when rocks are floating in the air that it gets a little tough! :lmao:

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well. I'm in a maintenance mode right now. I'm looking for some motivation to start losing those 10 lbs I said I would by Halloween. Maybe I'll switch it to Thanksgiving.

Connie: Thanks for the boo. I have to take the time to see if I can figure out how to get it in my signature. Be careful with the wind down there. It is exciting and full of energy, but getting hit with a rock wouldn't be nice.

Wendy: Two pounds a week is awesome. Congratulations. Belated Happy Anniversary wishes. I'm glad you found a good one.

Dave: Hello.

Maria: Good job on losing 2 more lbs. You are definitely on pace to lose 10. I too am noticing I'm much more tired these days. Adding all those extra miles does take it's toll. My problem is I can't find any extra time in my day to get more sleep. I need more hours in a day!!

Have a great day everyone.
Cindy

Cindy, most folks think the holidays is not the time to lose weight, but I remember an office weight loss contest I joined one year that ran from Thanksgiving until New Years -- and I won! The prize: a t-shirt that proclaimed me a "Lite Beer Belly" -- really funny since I don't drink beer. I guess the moral is that we can do whatever we want to. Personally, I think maintaining is a real accomplishment, as I always seem to be going up or down. I wonder what the coming year will hold for me? <sigh>

Love hearing from you guys!

Good Afternoon!

Last night I did an hour on the TM. Here's what I've found -- I seem to be able to do more with the i-pod than watching tv. I guess the music just gets me going a bit better. I'm planning another hour tonight. DH has recently started using our TM instead of going to the gym (where he has a membership), so we have to adjust our schedules since he's imposing on my traditional workout time...I wonder how I can get him back to the gym:confused3 He was getting up and going before work, but he's decided he likes sleeping in...:lmao:

One of my co-workers brought in these very yummy homemade cookies today. Luckily they are pretty small, and I just had one. I'm counting that as my dessert. With any luck they will soon be gone.

Wendy -- I think that contest is a great idea. This time of year is so hard, any extra incentive is wonderful. Congratulations, you were the Biggest Loser!:goodvibes How was the race-walking clinic? Have you been able to apply anything you learned yet?:cool1:

Cindy -- I've recently started making the supreme sacrifice of not watching anything that begins at 10. I have to read before I go to bed -- it's just one of those childhood habits, and I really don't want to break it. This gets me to sleep by 10:30, and is letting me have enough rest right now. I'm taping Boston Legal and Dirty Sexy Money, which I actually like because I can watch both in almost half the time. If I have to start taping the 9 o'clock stuff, I'd better just give up!:happytv:

Connie -- I'm with you, wind is not my friend. My eyes just sting...it's not pretty:sad1: I guess with a name like "windwalker", we should have known it's Dave's element!

Dave -- Somehow, I can see you on a beach during a typhoon...:thumbsup2

Everyone have a fantastic and healthy day!:grouphug:
Maria

Wendy! I can lose weight in winter, easier than summer! With all the cooking I do at the holidays and in general, I get sick of food! It's kinda nice, in a way.

Cindy! Remember the scale doesn't tell the whole story! I just realized today that I weigh 40 lbs more than I did when I graduated high school, but I am only one size bigger. Of course, I graduated high school before Title IV. There was no such thing as girls sports! Although, it doesn't seem like having girls sports hasn't helped much with the whole problem of female body image!

Maria! Why didn't I think of that! I SHOULD have known someone named windwalker would like walking in wind. Duh! :lmao: Just wait 'til he gets hit by rocks or sand or lawn furniture. He won't like it so good anymore!

I am holding my own in the weight loss department. I am still NOT eating white food, when I do, it is boiled potatoes with skin.

Here's to your health! -- Connie

Good Morning!

It's my weigh-in day, and I'm down 1 more lb. That means I have three to go before Halloween. I still think I can do it! If I don't, it won't be for lack of trying.

I walked for five hours and 45 minutes this week, which is pretty good. I'm going to try to do more next week. I've also finally had a speed breakthrough, so I have high hopes.

Connie -- after your experience, I have cut down on the white foods. It's almost unconscious -- I'm getting so full on fruits and other veggies, it doesn't occur to me to eat other things. Do you include popcorn in the white foods? I tend to use that to fill me up if I want something salty and crunchy.

I'm sure many of you are getting ready for ToT. Walk/Run strong, travel safe, and we'll be here when you return!:grouphug:

Maria

Oh Maria I didn't know you were not going to ToT. You will be missed, you will join us in January?

Congratulations on the weight loss, yes you can do the 3 lbs. How fast are you walking now?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter