Women's clothing rant and question

Even the law students wear ridiculous clothing. I've seen board shorts, leggings so tight you can see all kinds of bits, bras as tops. Oh well, they'll have to change soon enough.
This is definitely an American phenomenon amongst students. When I taught in Poland last fall, most of my students dressed like they were going to work.

Good luck with finishing up law school!

I agree that quality has declined. While I usually like dresses that are loose and primarily comfortable, I also would like a dress or two that is more fitted and structured for special occassions (perhaps reminiscent of how some of the dresses from the 40s and 50's were). I cannot find it. And I get frustrated that once a trend takes hold, that is all you can find. I'm thinking specifically of sleeveless dresses and crop tops. Skinny jeans seem to be out now in favor of the mom jeans but why can't we have a variety at all times? I guess that is what I want-variety.

I'm in my 20s and I still agree. I have the issue where clothes either make me look 1. like a high schooler 2. too old for my age 3. like I'm getting ready to go to church on Easter sunday. Little to no in between. I'm also fairly short (5'3") and have issues finding clothes in my size in store. It's either the bigger sizes or sizes that are meant for preteens that are left 9 out of 10 times.

My go to for work clothes used to be the clearance section at Lord and Taylor but the nearest Lord and Taylor from me closed permanently. Now I buy dress shirts from Macy's. I get jeans from American Eagle and sometimes men's tops if they're on sale. If not on sale, I skip as their tops are not worth the $50+ I've seen some go for. I've seen a lot of people say that Gap has gone downhill considerably but they're my go to for shorts. Sometimes I get sweaters from there too. I love LL Bean too but there isn't a store near me so I get anxious about buying stuff I can't try on.

Nowadays I honestly buy men's clothes because I like the fit better and have never had an issue getting my size. I also find them to be sturdier and last longer than women's fit clothes, specifically hoodies, sweaters and sweatpants.

The occasional formal event gives me hives. Trying to find my mother-of-bride dress was just horrible. The choices are too sexy, too frumpy... no balance.
My wife is also full figured and in June, we were invited to a formal gala for my work. Finding her a new dress was a "process." I felt horrible because I just walked into Brooks Brothers and easily got a new suit.

If it's any consolation, LL Bean has an amazing return policy so if something doesn't work they make it really easy, even if you don't have a store near you.
That's good to hear. I haven't had an issue with anything I bought from them within the past year but I tend to only buy a specific style of shirt. I was more anxious avout buying their pants and them not fitting.

I’m definitely over forty (😁) and buy clothing from a variety of locations.
My fashion sensibility is classic for essentials and I veer more trendy for accessories.
Although some of my favorite department stores are now gone I still can find well made clothing at Bloomingdale’s and Nordstrom’s.

Banana Republic, J Crew Max Mara, and Khaite can be purchased online or within the shops. Some even have outlet shops.

Both DGD and I buy items from Zara. I buy online, she goes to the shop. They have great over sized sweaters which I’ve loved for decades and add to my collection. Might be time to stop though; too many to store readily so I gave the last purchase to DGD.

If you look with a discerning eye, you can find good and well made deals at Targets especially for summer wear.

Thank goodness almost all of my shoe manufacturers are still in existence. Since I know my size it’s easy to buy in the shops or online.

A lot of the same places others have mentioned. I’m lucky to have quite a few outlets within a 2 hour drive. Anne Taylor, Loft, Banana Republic, Kohls. Although, the quality isn’t what it use to be.

The one place I haven’t seen mentioned is Maurices. It’s kind of hit or miss depending on the location. They have a business casual section. In some stores it’s a large section. In others not so much, but they usually have a good selection of simple solid colors or basic patterns that don’t go out of style at reasonable prices. More selection online than in store as well.

I haven't seen TJMaxx mentioned. I have found many name brand outfits at very reasonable prices. They always have a huge selection to choose from and many different styles and sizes. I found a dress for my granddaughter's wedding that I love. The only thing with TJM is that if you see something you want, you had better buy it now and not wait. I have done this with a beautiful blouse and thought I'd wait til the next day to get it. It was gone by the next morning!

I have been to a TJX in a big city that was not a nice store. However, our store is very nice and enjoyable to shop there. I guess it is hit or miss regarding this chain. But our store is top notch with lots of fun items all the time. I guess you can tell that I Love TJMaxx.

I haven't seen TJMaxx mentioned. I have found many name brand outfits at very reasonable prices. They always have a huge selection to choose from and many different styles and sizes. I found a dress for my granddaughter's wedding that I love. The only thing with TJM is that if you see something you want, you had better buy it now and not wait. I have done this with a beautiful blouse and thought I'd wait til the next day to get it. It was gone by the next morning!

I have been to a TJX in a big city that was not a nice store. However, our store is very nice and enjoyable to shop there. I guess it is hit or miss regarding this chain. But our store is top notch with lots of fun items all the time. I guess you can tell that I Love TJMaxx.

I buy a ton of stuff from TJMaxx and Marshall's. My local stores are fine. We have one store in our area that carries "runway" stuff--much more designer.

But you're correct on grabbing it. If you really like something, buy two, because you'll never see it again! I bought some black pants for work about a month ago. I wore them once, found out I loved them, and then went back to get another pair or two since I plan to be wearing them often. GONE.

I have great luck with QVC - especially Susan Graver, Denim and Co and Kim Gravel. I wait for a sale and/or free shipping and stock up on basics like nice midi dresses, black and navy dress pants, linen blend capris, etc. and I like that their sizing is pretty consistent- once you find your size, everything you order going forward is going to fit. I know I’m a medium in skirts, dresses and pants…14 in jeans and XL in tops.

I almost exclusively buy clothes at Costco, TJ Maxx, and Marshall's these days.
Still true for me a year later. :-)

I shop online, mostly at Lands End, but sometimes at LL Bean. I used to shop at Catherines (plus sized), but they closed their brick and mortar stores, and I've had nothing but trouble with their online store.

I've just been skimming through this thread.

Clothes now are complete garbage. I'm aware that I sound old, but I assure you I'm not. Well.. not THAT old.

Covid was great for me for this. I could wear 'athletic wear' and it wasn't an issue. Now that I'm back to the office, I have to wear nice clothes. Not suits, but nice. Good luck finding nice... Nothing fits correctly, the material is see-through, fabrics are wrinkly and ugly and nothing hides those body parts that some of us have never been comfortable showing. I've been looking for the same style of clothes I've liked since I was in my 20s: plain colors, limited patterns (plain is easier to mix and match), durability, etc. I hardly have any of the stores that previous posters have mentioned, and the ones I do have carry almost exclusively "casual" clothing. I used to frequent the thrift stores, but we no longer have those.

I DESPISE fast fashion, despite owning some of it (no other options). I actually had one shirt that disintegrated the first time it was washed. It fell into little pieces before I could even wear it. I had another that the side seams completely let go 20 minutes after getting to my office.

End of rant!

I'm middle age and never really needed to dress up, so I'm used to buying very casual clothes. I shop at Costco, Old Navy, some Walmart, and Disney lol. But that might have to change, sigh. I've recently lost weight and find sizing is so odd. Why are size 4 shorts too big?! Why am I now buying xsmalls?! Where do I go to get smaller stuff? I'm 5'4 and 130ish, so not super skinny or anything odd.

I wear scrubs to work, so that part is easy. Except my color is grape, lol. It's not the easier to find and variety of styles is limited.

For daily wear, it's lots disney tshirts, sweatshirts, and spirit jerseys lol. And dresses when it's warm. Love dresses, but hate to be cold, so no winter ones for me. Leggings, jeans, skorts, shorts, round out my typical uniform. Plus sandals and tennis shoes.

I didn't answer the questions, did I? I find my things never wear out, but I'm really easy on my clothes. And my stuff is basics, it sounds like business and dressier clothes have really taken a nose dive in quality!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter