Wk Of Sept 29 - WISH Walking/Running Club

Ohhhhhhhhh, I'm so ashamed!! I have not been doing a very good job keeping up w/ the boards!! Thanks Anne for dragging me back!!!

Work is really fun and having a kid in school changed my schedule. I am just now adjusting!! Haha!

I've been working out about the same this year. I have not run in a while, but have been doing some riding. I'm not going to get to do dis marathon b/c we decided to put in a pool (so i'm ok w/ that!!) I am planning on doing a 50k again in feb, so i'm thinking i'll just follow along w/ everyone's training schedules.

Colleen - I hope your knee does ok for the marathon. Biking (w/ good pedals that allow for lateral float) would be good! (plus we all know bikers are cool!!!!!)

Sunny - hi

Christa - phil just got back from a climbing trip in NC (he went to looking glass, where ever that is) I guess he should have stopped in to say hi!!:thumbsup2

We are planning on doing a 100mile ride tomorrow. Who knows how that will go. We don't have big group, so i'm hoping we find some folks to hook up w/ so we can draft!!

Well - off to work:banana: :banana:

Hi folks, I got 4.17 mi in yesterday in 43:02 for a 10:19/mi pace. It seems like I am now doing my midweek runs sub 11:00/mi so yay for improvement! I was going to go to power pilates over lunch today, but I decided I would be better off staying in and studying for my engineering ethics exam. It is one test we have to pass in order to get our professional engineering designation in this province. As my test is on the 15th I'd better get my butt in gear and start studying!

Hello, WISHers!

Quick post before we head off to VA Beach for a soccer tournament this weekend...

I got my 14 mile LR done this morning. That is the longest I have ever run. I beat my WDW Half time by 19 minutes, so I was quite pleased! (Of course, I ran the Half sick and went from port-a-potty to port-a-potty from mile 4 on.) Anyway, I now have gained a bit more confidence that I actually will be able to finish this marathon.

Happy training, all! PD for all those nagging injuries and illnesses!
Renee

I'm in a wicked good mood today, but then I usually am. I just can't imagine what this group is going to be like when we all go through taper madness.

I had a 2.25 walk this morning, 28:37 including slower first mile to warm-up. It was more humid this morning and we are forcast to hit a record 90 degrees, for Oct, today.

Erica is getting really excited about our trip, especially since we have enough Wal-Mart bags that all our luggage matches. We will be leaving on the 23rd.

Jeanne, I don't care what anyone says, I've never run over anything on the way home and cooked it for dinner.

Is everyone's training going well for the January adventures?

Have an awesome day y'all.

Dave:hippie:

Ohhhhhhhhh, I'm so ashamed!! I have not been doing a very good job keeping up w/ the boards!! Thanks Anne for dragging me back!!!

Work is really fun and having a kid in school changed my schedule. I am just now adjusting!! Haha!

I've been working out about the same this year. I have not run in a while, but have been doing some riding. I'm not going to get to do dis marathon b/c we decided to put in a pool (so i'm ok w/ that!!) I am planning on doing a 50k again in feb, so i'm thinking i'll just follow along w/ everyone's training schedules.

Christa - phil just got back from a climbing trip in NC (he went to looking glass, where ever that is) I guess he should have stopped in to say hi!!:thumbsup2

We are planning on doing a 100mile ride tomorrow. Who knows how that will go. We don't have big group, so i'm hoping we find some folks to hook up w/ so we can draft!!

Well - off to work:banana: :banana:

MELISSA! I was thinking about you today during my LR!:love: Glad to hear from you!!
I just did a century ride a few weeks ago and thought of you! I miss you girl and kick Phills butt for not stopping by and saying hi!:rolleyes: JK! I do not know where that is either.

Good luck tomorrow on the century!

Wow all of you talking about training for the marathon in January and me knowing I can't join in since registration is closed. Not that I would be up for the Full or the Goofy anyway!! LOL But I am thinking of doing a half (my very first one) and it will be in January also (Jan 28) I have 3 options for 1/2 marathons within a months time (Dec 4 is Palm Beach - too soon for me based on training, beginning of Feb is the A1A Marathon in Ft Lauderdale and that would give me enough training time and it is on senic A1A in Ft Laud (think Where the Boys Are movie from the 60's) but the one I am seriously, seriously thinking of doing for my 1st 1/2 is the Half Shell Raw Bar Half Marathon in Key West. Now what can be better then a raw bar hosting the 1/2 marathon. In the Runner's World magazine that was mainly about 1/2 marathon's it was listed as one of the top half's.

For those that have done a half before what plan do you recommend I use? For the 13k I am following Hal Higdon's 15k plan. I prefer his plans to Jeff Galloway's. But the one thing I noticed is that Hal Higdon's plan for novices doing a half is 12 weeks but Jeff Galloway's are 17 weeks. By following Hal's plan I would start my training for the half the week after TOT but if I follow Galloway's plan then I should have started last week. I also noticed that Hal's plan doesn't have you doing over 10 miles and Galloway's has you doing 14. I might combine the 2 if I have to. So I guess I am trying to ask - anyone who has done a half before - do you recommend doing at least 13 miles or more prior to actually doing the 13.1 in the race?

3.5 mile TM run on tap for tonight. Now if only I can start getting faster instead of slower - UGH!!!

OK! Here are a few words about my LR today!
1) 2 loops of 6.5 and 1 loop of 5
2) That means up MOREHEAD...I call it MORE HELL...3 times! I cannot even explain this hill to you!:eek: Lets just say it is 1 mile+ long!
3) Thirsty...thirsty...thirsty!

Here is the report!:cool2:
Started around 8am and it was already warm. I changed my route this morning so I would not have to wear my H2O belt. I was afraid it would contribute to acid reflux....so I made 3 loops so I could stop by my car and gel and drink. I also had 4 or 5 water fountains on the route so I had water. I will say this is a HILLY course...I am NOT even kidd'n about this...very hard.

1st loop! Here is the DL....6.5 miles, 56.07 time, 8.38 pace. I was aiming for a 9 mpm pace. I was trying to start out slower b/c Ron told me I am doing my LR at too fast of a pace. I am not good at pacing so I just ran what felt good and ended up with this time. Last mile up Morehead!:eek:

Stopped @ car...changed into a tank top!

2nd loop! 6.5 miles, 57.57 time, 8.54 pace! This was the easiest loop I did. A little slower and I was in the groove! I was closer to the 9 mpm pace! Last mile up Morehead!:eek:

Stopped @ car, saw bree, chatted for too long! Legs got tight!

3rd loop! 5 miles, 40.42 time, 8.08.4 pace! This is a surprise, b/c I felt like I was dragging...but that pace may be why. My legs were really tight b/c of my extended stop and my calves started cramping near the end of the run!:eek: I did get a little lost at one point b/c I could not find the street I was supposed to turn on. Then, you guessed it, UP MOREHEAD THE LAST MILE!

Total time! 2.34.48
So that is the run. I thought during my run that going back to the car every loop makes one tuff! It is always a struggle not to get into the car and go home!:rolleyes1

Christa--All I can say is WOW! You are super speedy!:thumbsup2 That's an awesome LR--just imagine if that was a hard run and you were that fast, think of how you would do on a flat marathon course--Let's just say "Boston here you come!":woohoo:

MelR--Hmmmm, do we know you???;) Just kidding! Missed you around here--glad to know that things are well with you. Sorry you won't be with us in Jan but enjoy the new pool

Don't think I posted this yesterday, but I did end up going to the gym and got my first post-race workout in. 1.5 EASY miles and then some light weights. Felt good to get back in the gym--now I gotta go work on my "plan" for January since I'll be joining up again mid-training. Anyone try the FIRST training program? It's the one that was in Runner's World not to long ago, only has you running 3 key runs a week. Sounds like my kinda plan! Okay, better go! Have great LR/LWs this weekend all! I'm hoping to get out for a couple miles either tomorrow or Sunday.

Tricia:
Have you tried registering for the marathon using one of the groups? Lots of charities reserve huge blocks of entires which they will let you have for a donation pledge. Also, there are several travel agencies (Anthony Travel and Marathon Tours and Travel, to name a few) which have spots reserved as long as you use them to book your lodging. I'm not sure what the availability is but if you really want to do it, it's worth checking out.

For those that have done a half before what plan do you recommend I use? For the 13k I am following Hal Higdon's 15k plan. I prefer his plans to Jeff Galloway's. But the one thing I noticed is that Hal Higdon's plan for novices doing a half is 12 weeks but Jeff Galloway's are 17 weeks. By following Hal's plan I would start my training for the half the week after TOT but if I follow Galloway's plan then I should have started last week. I also noticed that Hal's plan doesn't have you doing over 10 miles and Galloway's has you doing 14. I might combine the 2 if I have to. So I guess I am trying to ask - anyone who has done a half before - do you recommend doing at least 13 miles or more prior to actually doing the 13.1 in the race?

Tricia - I used Higdon's 15K plan to train for the Minnie, then joined into his novice plan at week 4 to start training for my first half marathon. My longest run was 10 miles, but I felt well prepared for my first half. I think Galloway's programs are quite long and drawn out, and from the base you have built with your 15K training program so far, I don't think you need those few extra weeks. So I would recommed jumping into Higdon's plan since I know it worked for me!

And Jeanne is right...you can still get into the half through Anthony Travel (http://www.anthonytravel.com/wdw_marathon08.cfm) or through Marathon Tours (http://marathontour.com/disney/index.shtml). If you are interested you may have to pull the trigger quickly to make sure you can get in. You have to get your accomodations through them, but I think their hotel rates are pretty reasonable.

Thanks Leana and Jeanne but I think I am getting more and more excited about the Half Shell Half Marathon (especially since the entry fee is only $40!! And my DH is going to ask his boss to "sponsor" me (pay the $40 for me) since he was the one who first brought my DH to the Half Shell Raw Bar. Also his boss owns houses down there so I may possibly have free housing. And since I am pretty sure I am going to do the Minnie in May I better not plan too many Disney trips!!

And Leana thanks for the advice on Higdon's plan. I think I am going to stay with his training plans.

As far as my 3.5, I decided to go outside to see how I would do since I felt I was doing good on the treadmill by being able to run one full mile - well I guess I had what you guys would call a "stonker" I had to walk most of it since my shin splint on my left side started acting up - man I thought I was done with them!! LOL :lmao: It took me about 45 minutes - I didn't really get the exact time since I knew I was taking SOOOOOO long!!! :eek: I feel like I ran 10 miles (ok I haven't run that distance yet but....) I felt worse about the 3.5 miles when I was actually doing it (because I thought I only managed 3 miles!!) but when I checked it on gmaps pedometer I actually did a total of 3.6 miles. Oh and another thing - it was my first rain run - right before I got finished (about .10 of a mile from home) it started sprinkling - at least it wasn't a downpour but I actually think I slowed down so it would cool me off!!

Well I need to get off of this computer and go stretch or else I am going to feel :sick:

Ok, having to live vicariously through all of you... my slight fever turned into some sort of death cold. Well, maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but I still have a fever on and off and a miserable sore throat. I've missed two workouts (no GREEN entries for me :sad2: ). I was supposed to run my longest LR to date on Sunday (11 miles) but now I'm giving serious consideration to just starting up again next week. I know I'm just delirious, but I'm sort of freaked out about backsliding. You know, like I'll wake up six weeks from now and not have run a mile! :confused3 I know it's crazy.

Anyway, everyone keep up the good work. You are inspiring as always...

Whiny Jen in GA

P.S. For those of you dealing with real injuries, please excuse my pityfest.;)

Jen - take care of that cold. Let it get out of your system! I had a cold and tried to train through it, got worse and have not had one training session for the past 10 days!:scared1: I had the fever, sore throat, congestion and tired achy feeling. I was panicking that I would lose so much (I have 1/2 Marathon in 2 weeks), but I just couldn't get my body moving to train. I felt like such a slug.

Finally, I feel better (although still dealing with a slight case of sniffles) and am planning to do a couple miles tomorrow to get back into the swing of things.

Terri

Good morning everyone!

Hoping everyone has a great weekend.

3 miles on the plank last night. Nothing significant to report.

Colleen – Sorry to hear about your knee. Take care of yourself.

Sunny – W’sup? Hope you’re feeling well.

Jen – I do my best to get in all of my training runs. I actually feel guilty if I miss one.

Martha – Sure, blame it on the cat. :rolleyes1 ;)

Lourodrigis – WTG with the 3.3 miler.

Cecilia – WTG with the training!

MelR – Where ya been? :confused3 :)

Leana – WTG with the 4 miler.

Renee – WTH with the 14 miler!

WWDave – WTG with the training.

Christa – Your workouts wear me out. :)

Tricia – Sorry about the stonker. They’ll get better.

GaJen – Hope you get to feeling better.

Terri - Hope you get to feeling better also.

:)

Ok, having to live vicariously through all of you... my slight fever turned into some sort of death cold. Well, maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but I still have a fever on and off and a miserable sore throat. I've missed two workouts (no GREEN entries for me :sad2: ). I was supposed to run my longest LR to date on Sunday (11 miles) but now I'm giving serious consideration to just starting up again next week. I know I'm just delirious, but I'm sort of freaked out about backsliding. You know, like I'll wake up six weeks from now and not have run a mile! :confused3 I know it's crazy.

Jen & Terri - Make sure you take care of yourselves ladies! Don't worry about backsliding. You won't lose that much fitness for a few days off, and if it helps you get better sooner, that is all that matters.

Hey all... Well, I am awake and it is storming out. You know what that means? Yup, have to run inside. I am going to run the infamous indoor track and will have to do 108 laps for my 9 miles. It's been ages since I have ran there.... oh the memories!!!!

To all the sickies.... PLEASE GET WELL SOON!!! I really hate cold and flu season. Maybe if you are sick now, you won't be for WDW!!!!!

I will report back later how that crazy indoor track run is!!!

Good Saturday morning WISH Team.:yay:

Today is rest and stretching. Went to the gym and relaxed in the hot whirl pool tub till nice and loosed then stretched and used the strong jets like a massage all over legs and lower back.:cloud9:

I need to stretch more but I can always come up with good excuses not to, like not enouth time. Even though better walkers have said flexibility is the key to speed.:sad2:

I turn 56 tomorrow and feel 26 so life is good. The 50 and 60 age groups are the most competative in racewalking, it doesn't let up till the mid 70s so I've got 20 more years to train hard before I can start getting easier age group wins.:cool1:

Has anyone heard anything fom our missing WISHers: Mouse Skywalker, Dirty bunny and PatsFan Bill.:confused3

Have an awesome day y'all, or I'll do a "YARC" post.pirate:

Dave:hippie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter