Wk of Sep 17--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club

princessmomma

DIS Veteran
Since Mel is off on her Disney Cruise this week, lucky duck!!, :teeth: I will start the weekly thread.

Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in walking/running events throughout the year. Some of us are training for the 2006 Disneyland Half and for the 2007 WDW Half/Full marathons. We'll also be posting news/training for various other events throughout the year. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us, whether you're training for an event or walking/running for fitness!

2007 WISH Team

akasleepingbeauty Rhonda TX
aladdinsgirl Krista OH
AmyBeth68 Amy NJ
Andrea718 Andrea NY
andromedaslove Dana FL
bekagain Bekah
Buckalew11 Brenda TN
budbeerlady
Calcio Craig MA
CarolA Carol GA
Cheryl N. WI Cheryl WI
chimera Mel FL
Chropistopy Christy GA
Cingoutload GA
Cruella de Mom Cecilia GA
crzy4mk Michael GA
crzy4pooh Lynnda FL
debm IL
Dennyha Denny OH
DianeL Diane
disneybelle Darcey NJ
DisneyGirl Marissa
disnygoof Christiana SC
DJBounce Darcey IA
donac Dona NJ
escape Susie AR
gatorphipps Christa NC
getnthinr Wendy NC
goingthedistance Paul NM
goofyguy1958 Mike
gradtchr Beth TX
hmgolden Helen NY
Hockeychic Kim CAN
hockeygirl Laura NY
Honeibee Judy NY
Houstonmouse Tracey
icunurse_celeste Celeste IL
Jen117 Jen WI
Jodi Jodi CT
jodistar Jodi CT
k_hase Kim NY
karebear1 Karen OR
Kareneast Karen NJ
Kaycee Kaycee KY
keenercam Cam DE
KeenHo Howard DE
KelNottAt Kelley MD
KeriZ Keri AB
Kim10110 Kim
Kimickey Kim MD
Kimwim8 Kim NJ
Kristi1357 Kristi NH
lillouisianagal Claire LA
Lisa Loves Pooh Lisa FL
littlegreydonkey Helen NZ
LittleMissMickey Ashley MN
lizdotcom99 Liz IN
macrosswife Kimber AL
magslite Maggie IL
maherae Anne
martysmom Jenny FL
maryliz maryliz ON
MdmMim
MelRhoads Melissa AR
MickeySP Lisa MA
Minnie Suzy
momoftwogirls K
monte Monica CO
Mouse Skywalker Dave NY
MouseDogMom Jackie NC
MrsTrx Tracey FL
msblrobs Sara NY
NYCpa Kathy NY
ohMom OH
Papa Deuce PA
perfectmatch300 Nancy FL
plutosmyfav Sunny MA
pollioni Robb ON
princessmomma Colleen NC
Pungodingy NH
Rachael Q Rachael BC
RedSonya Sonya UT
rKyDeX Chester FL
RunningLilo Dena FL
ryley26 Rich OH
sap1227 Christy FL
sara
ScoJo15 Scott GA
sjams Janet TX
skfulkers Steve OH
solotraveler Kevin MI
Stenogoddess Lauren GA
stitch lover sith Erin
sugaswim Holly MD
TammyNC Tammy NC
taz4disney CJ IN
TEK224 Terri PA
thndrmatt Matt FL
TiffJ Tiffany AL
TigerLily03 Lily OH
TnTsParty FL
TXBelle Heather TX
Viking Eric GE
Wbgirl Melissa MN
WDWfan 9 Pat IL
wfloyd Bill FL
WIsh I Lived in FL Felicia
wiskband Renee NY
wtpclc Carrie MI
xterratri Lynne ME

Yeah, go DL Wishers!! You all rock! :wave:

I ran my 18 miler yesterday, wow, was it great! I ran with my friend who is running Chicago with me. She is a little slower than I am, but it was so great running and talking. This was the first time I actually ran WITH someone in a training run and I really enjoyed it. :banana:

I really want to find someone to run/walk the half marathon and someone to run the WDW marathon. I think it would make it really enjoyable. :thumbsup2 When the time gets closer we should see what pace everyone is planning on running and see if we could get together a few running groups.

Off to do some shopping!

Colleen

Hi everybody! :wave2: :wave:

Today I had my last long walk before I do the Baltimore Half Marathon on October 14.

The route I measured should have been about 14.8 miles. But somehow my pedometer went off for (I think) about 20 minutes near the halfway mark. This really bummed me out - not only b/c I lost track of distance, but time, too.

Oh, well. With estimates I **think** I did about 14 miles in 3:12. That would put me at 13:45/mile...which is a little slower than my usual 13:30 on short walks. But still ahead of the sweepers, so I'll take it.

Two bright spots out of today's walk:
1. - No shin splits!! :banana: Thank goodness! They have REALLY been hurting me for the last couple weeks.
2. - I tried Gu for the first time (around mile 8.5) and didn't hate it. As an added bonus, I think it actually might have helped.

Happy training everyone,

Well it is 3pm in NC so I guess that means the DL WISHers have another race under their belt.
Congrats everyone!
:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:
I know everyone did great and had a GREAT time! I am so hating ALL of you! :goodvibes JK! :goodvibes

I am trying to talk myself into biking today but my belly is too full and my eyes are too heavy! I think I may take a nap.

Congrats Colleen on your 18 miler! :cheer2: I know what you mean! I LOVE running with other people. :love: What is your pace...Are you doing Goofy???? :confused3 I know I should know this. A pacing group sounds great b/c DH will be running with BIL and I think they will be in different corrals than me.

KelNottAt - WTG on your LW! I know you will have a blast at your 1/2 marathon! :cheer2:

Did the Philadelphia Distance Run (13.1) this morning and saw Kareneast on the course with her spiffy WISH shirt. My time wasn't great (2:40) but I was running with a cold. Not sure if that was a good idea.

Hi everyone! I haven't had time to chime in on a thread in a while (and I always feel bad if I can't read through the whole thread!!!), so I finally caught one that was new!! Yeah!!

Well, I finished the Disneyland 1/2 this morning!! I started out really well-- running about 12:30 minute miles for the first 5 miles-- that is *really* fast for me (I'm usually around 13:45 or so). So, I decided I was going too fast and slowed down and took pictures and just enjoyed the rest of the course-- I finished (I think) at a 15:02 pace, which is around what I want to aim for for Goofy (My strategy for Goofy is, the slowest I can go without getting caught by the sweepers, the better!!)...

... The negative to my going so slow at the end is that my legs aren't conditioned for that much walking, and they hurt more than when I run now :-)...

..I didn't get to meet any of the WISHers (I've had to work this weekend-- I can get the time off to come here, but I have to work in my hotel-- I did get an upgrade to amusement park view at the Grand Californian, so at least I can watch other people having fun while I work!!)

Now, it's time to start training for the Goofy!! :cool1:

Way to go Disneygirl! How does that medal feel hanging around your neck. :cool1:

disneybelle, way to go on the PDR! I also ran the PDR half this morning and did not hit my goal time but I was running from mile 7 on with a knee that did not cooperate. I finished in 1:51 but was going for 1:44. Hey at least we finished, right?

Yay for the DL WISH team! :cheer2: :woohoo: :cheer2: Check out those finish times...can't wait to see the castle medals!

A most excellent LR yesterday! And I can absolutely justify using the word 'run' now. Because I'm weird, I doubled up the weeks on MFM again and am on week 5A. Only a 3 mile LR this weekend, so I decided to actually try to run it. I started from our room (#2326 at OKW) and jogged the first 19 minutes (1.53 miles) to the turnaround on Conch Flats Trail, then walked 3 minutes to get over the shock, then finished with R8/W3/R6. So...3.02 miles in 39:04 for a 12:56 pace :woohoo:

Colleen...thanks for spinning the new thread! congrats on your 18 miles! That's Rhonda that's on the cruise...we were just at WDW for the weekend. Took the in-laws there for their 50th anniversary yesterday!

Jen...how's your mom doing?

Kel...great pace! Good luck on your race...can't wait to hear more about it!
Watch out for the taper madness :crazy:

Darcey...congrats on your race time! That's a pretty fabulous pace, especially with a cold!

Mike...wow! Excellent time!

Marissa...congrats on DL! Tell us more!

I did a little checking on stuff for marathon weekend. My in-laws stayed at POR, so we had dinner in the food court Friday night. I think it will be great for the WDW WISH team dinner! Plenty of space, area for the kids with a TV playing Disney movies and they take DDE. It's just across the bridge from the playground. We were there at 5:30 and it wasn't crowded, so if we continue as planned with meeting around 4ish and eating around 4:30/5, I think everything will go nicely!

Good training everyone!

chimera said:
Colleen...thanks for spinning the new thread! congrats on your 18 miles! That's Rhonda that's on the cruise...we were just at WDW for the weekend. Took the in-laws there for their 50th anniversary yesterday!

LOL Mel, yes, when I saw you were the last poster, I thought, oh, she is posting from the ship, then remembered it was Rhonda on the Magic! Hard to keep up with all those cruisers, (is Carrie off this weekend to Alaska?) and all those going to WDW (when will Judy be back?).

Oh, Christa, my dear Christa, I would LOVE to run your pace but you are too speedy for me! I am doing Goofy, the half will be very slow to save my legs for the Sunday, the full will be around 10:45- 11:15's.

I wonder how Craig is doing these days??

Colleen

GoofyGuy: the Disneyland medal is BIG and HEAVY!!! (in a good way, of course ;) )

Here are a few pictures from the race this morning. I'll eventually post more-- this is my way of procrastinating from getting my work done (it is NOT easy to get any work done at DisneyLand!!!! pirate: )

Here is the view of the start from back in Corral C. There were pyrotechnics (and according to the announcers indications, they were quite close to some of the people way up front over there)-- the fire just seemed to keep on going! It took me about 6 minutes to cross the starting line, so I would imagine it took about 12-15 minutes for the last runner to cross, because I was about half way back.

DisneylandInauguralHalfMarathon2006.jpg

Right before running through Sleeping Beauty's castle (the pic isn't that clear-- I have an option on my camera to take pictures of moving objects (or me moving :sunny: ), but it is a really fast exposure and you can't use a flash. It was still a little dark, so some of the pics are not that great:

DisneylandInauguralHalfMarathon2-1.jpg

Running down Main Street:

DisneylandInauguralHalfMarathon2-2.jpg

And what I was most looking forward to-- running through Angel's Stadium. It was pretty cool-- we didn't "run the bases"-- we actually entered in right field, and then walked along the perimeter of the stadium:

DisneylandInauguralHalfMarathon2-3.jpg

There was an announcer there, and they had one of those pads that reads the chips. He was announcing names as you ran past, and they also had everyone on the Jumbotron-- here's a pic, although I don't think the jumbotron came out that well:

DisneylandInauguralHalfMarathon2-4.jpg

I thought it was a pretty cool course-- it was definitely more exciting then the current DisneyWorld 1/2 course (so much boring freeway time on that course!!!). I'm interested in what other people's Garmin's said for the distance when you finished-- mine indicated that we ran 13.6 miles (for an excess 1/2 mile!!!)...

Cool pictures Disney Girl Looks like everyone had a good time...congratulations Team

Tiger Lily, I won't be able to make it to chat this week, I have to work til 8pm :badpc:

DisneyGirl - Love those pictures! OOOOH that is making me WISH I had run the 1/2...a little thing like $$$$$ stopped me! :sad2:

Colleen - That is about the pace I ran when I did Goofy! If you take is nice and slow the experience is very enjoyable. :love:

OK! I did go out and bike Sunday. Had a blast! Did around 12+ miles because that is all I had time for and ave around a 16 mph.....very hilly in Charlotte!
I had my 1st bike fall...ON A ROAD BIKE! :confused3 However, all you professional bike fallers, mine was really a LAME fall! To make a short story even longer..... :rotfl:
I was at the end of my ride coming down hill and this is the opp direction that I normally come. I normally enter my very steep driveway from an up hill so my gears are right. Well somehow, I couldn't shift my gears to the right place and I went 1/2 way up the driveway...stopped and fell over...I couldn't get my feet out of the toe cages...yeah, I don't have clippless yet...how lame! But as you can see...I do NOT have any "Mad Biking Skills".
Well I have a skinned up knee and elbow and a big bruse on my butt...but I did not rip my very expensive bike shorts! :banana:
I took pics of the knee and elbow but not the butt bruse (for obvious reasons). My children now think I am INSANE!
The picture does not do my pain justice...... :rotfl: Sorry so big...I also have no "Mad Computer Skills".
10milerunsept106008.jpg

OK...Off to try to run!

Good Morning TEAM: :surfweb:

Marissa- Thanks for posting the pictures of the DL half. It looks like so much fun.

Christa- Ummmm, thanks for posting the pictures of your bike injuries. It looks like so much fun... :lmao:

OK, yesterday was a scheduled rest day on the MfM training plan. I rested, napped a little, soaked my legs for 30 min in a cold water bath, mowed the lawn, did laundry, and watched football. Pretty low-key day, and it was good to get stuff done around the house.

The Rochester Marathon and 1/2 Marathon was run yesterday. The 1/2 marathon goes right past our neighborhood between miles 4-5, and the full marathon goes right past the University I work at around mile 23. So I went and cheered on some of the runners in the 1/2 marathon. I had to run into the lab quickly too, so I went over and cheered on some of the runners in the marathon too. I tell you, they looked awfully tired around mile 23. It made me a little intimdated for the Full Marathon at WDW, but I'm just going to take it one day at a time. I just finished my first month of training, and I still have 4 months to go. I'd like to run an event in this race next year (definitely the 1/2 or maybe the full).

This morning MfM called for a 45 min run. I did 4.74 miles in 46:59 min/9:55 mpm pace. The run felt nice and easy, and the legs (and shins) are feeling good. Here are my splits:

Mile 1: 9:34 min
Mile 2: 10:50 min :confused3
(not sure why this mile was slow, it seemed like I was going the same pace)
Mile 3: 10:03 min
Mile 4: 9:45 min
last 0.74 miles: 6:45 min (9:08 pace)

OK, I better do some work now.

Congratulations to all of the DL runners!! Great pics!!

Colleen - Congrats on the 18 mile LR. :cool1: As I was coming into downtown Chicago this morning, I was thinking of you running it in just a few weeks.

Kelley - Best of luck on your 1/2 marathon. Glad to hear you're keeping the shin splints at bay and the Gu helped you out.

Darcey - Congrats on a great race!! :cheer2: I hope you recover from the cold quickly. :wizard:

Mel - :woohoo: It sounds like an awesome LR. Thanks for the report on POR food court for the WISH meeting.

Christa - You're a crazy woman!!

Dave - Don't feel intimidated. Your body will do just what you teach it to do. Come January, you'll be more than prepared to go the distance if you put the steps in.

I did a 9 mile LR on Saturday and a 90 minute cardio/sculpting class on Sunday. I had to be at the airport at 5:00 this morning, so I am most likely bagging any running today. Shopping on Michigan Avenue will have to count as cross training.

Happy training to all this week!!

msblrobs said:
Shopping on Michigan Avenue will have to count as cross training.

Happy training to all this week!!

Oh, Sara, have fun! My friend and I bought tickets to the Broadway play "Wicked" to see when we are in Chicago. :Pinkbounc Saturday will be a little shopping and sightseeing, but I will want to save my legs for Sunday.

Ouch, Christa! By the way, you are so thin. It must feel great! :banana:

Dave, awesome training runs. I am glad your are keeping any shin splint problems at bay. Knock on wood.

Disneygirl, great pictures. Looks like a great time.

Colleen

Does anyone know anything at all about tibia stress fractures???? I see a doctor tomorrow but I'm absolutely terrified. Please...if you have any experience or information in regard to this injury I'd be so appreciative.

Also...Congratulations :cheer2: to all the Disneyland halfers! I'm really super proud of all of you. Way to represent!!! :thumbsup2 :grouphug:

AmyBeth68 said:
Does anyone know anything at all about tibia stress fractures???? I see a doctor tomorrow but I'm absolutely terrified. Please...if you have any experience or information in regard to this injury I'd be so appreciative.

Also...Congratulations :cheer2: to all the Disneyland halfers! I'm really super proud of all of you. Way to represent!!! :thumbsup2 :grouphug:
Do you think you have one Amy? This is what I was convinced I had when I was having all of my shin troubles. I had doctors take x-rays, but nothing ever came up on them. However, from my reading and research stress fractures don't show up on x-rays (at least not for 6 weeks or so). I did a lot of reading up on them when I thought I had a tibial stress fracture, and from what I read - they can take a long time to heal. They are a serious injury, and you should stay off it for a while (maybe 8 weeks). You can do the deep water running, but are supposed to cut back on anything with impact.

Hi everyone. I missed my run on Saturday because I was pushing my mom in a wheelchair. She can't walk much without being out of breathe, so I pushed her. She will be out of work for another 2 weeks minimum and then part time for quite a while. We work together, which makes things more crazy hectic for me.

So I ran on Sunday. I planned for an outdoor run, but when I looked outside. the trees were bending. Way too windy for me. So I did my 3 miles on the treadmill. No fun. Today I missed my morning run on the treadmill because of kid problems, but that is OK because I now dread the treadmill. So at lunch I went to the Y and ran the track. I ran 2 miles no walk breaks. I was so darn pleased with myself. SO I ended up with 30 minutes of running and warm up/cool down walks. I don't get much more time than that because I have to clean up and book it back to work.

I love reading all the DL 1/2 reports. It gets me excited for WDW. I am scared tho, I really don't want to feel the wall hit!!!

Well, work is nuts. Tonight I will be busy canning tomatoes.

:confused3 I'm not sure Dave. I'm looking at a bunch of possibilities...with that being the most disconcerting! I've had a tough past week with my running. Couldn't even get out there today. Saturday's run hurt like crazy. I don't know...from all my research I'm leaning towards (or should I say desperately hoping it is) tendon issues just above my ankle.

My pain is more on or slightly above the inside ankle bone. It hurts with palpatation and there is slight swelling below the ankle as well. Sometimes it seems that the pain is radiating from inner foot to above the ankle. Other times it feels pretty much on that one point? Occasionally I even get pain radiating to the opposite side of the ankle and up the foot. I just purchased new sneakers last week hoping that my problem related to my Asics being broken down. I had a great run last Thursday...but after two miles had to loosen my right shoelaces due to numbness :(. Otherwise...if felt great and I ran my fastest ever 4 mile.

Unfortunately, the pain is still present and I really shouldn't have run through it on Saturday :sad2: . I don't really know too much about tibial stress fractures and common locations. If you can give me any advice...as in the likely location...I'm not sure if that area of the ankle presents with stress fractures? :confused3 I'm hoping it's tendonitis...but it just really feels like it's on the bone :(.

Thanks again, Dave. I appreciate any info you have for me. I do have an appointment tomorrow but I doubt anything will get resolved so quickly. I'm anxious to get out there and run again. I'm absolutely terrified that my marathon aspirations could be over. :sad2: Hopefully I'm just over-reacting!!! :blush:

princessmomma said:
Ouch, Christa! By the way, you are so thin. It must feel great! :banana:
Colleen
Oh Colleen, You are so sweet! I tell you that downing that Chic-fil-la Oreo milk shake after my really SR felt great.... :rotfl:

Did only 3 miles today in 26.50something min....my booty was hurting from the bike fall at first but then felt better later on in the run...now it really hurts...I may have to ice it... :rotfl: NICE!

I tell you, they looked awfully tired around mile 23. It made me a little intimdated for the Full Marathon at WDW, but I'm just going to take it one day at a time. I just finished my first month of training, and I still have 4 months to go. I'd like to run an event in this race next year (definitely the 1/2 or maybe the full).
Dave - I am not going to lie to you...running a marathon is hard at mile 23 but how hard depends on several factures:
1) How well you are trained....What does your plan take you up to? 20 or above?
2) How many LRs you missed...I tell you Don't miss if you can help it!
3) How fast you went out...don't go out too fast.
4) Drinking enough...you WILL cramp and feel like CRAP if you don't drink enough...just ask my buddy Bree who found this out the hard way on the Charlotte marathon!
5) I always have 3 goals in running a marathon...b/c so much can change over the course of the race...I have a Great Run goal (just in case I feel so great and run the race of my dreams and PR), a good run goal (so if it is a good run but there is no PR), and a just finish w/out dying goal (need I say more??). This way, I always meet my goal. :goodvibes
You will do great...I can tell you are focused and will complete the training...Hey this is your 1st marathon right? You will PR no matter what. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter