Wk of Oct 22--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club

WDWFAN9 said:
Not only did I NOT get my WDW packet my DH got his DL certificate but I am still waiting for mine. That is just not fair!!

Obviously, Pat, they are saving the best for last! :goodvibes

Pat -- I haven't gotten my DL finisher certificate either, but I can't complain about the other. I am really hoping everyone gets their packets this weekend.

About those race numbers -- I am so confused :confused3
Can anyone make any sense out of the numbers? Some of them are so high -- Is it possible they assigned numbers for the full first and then the half? I think I'll start another thread where everyone can post their race numbers and we can figure out the logic behind the number assignments.

I am determined to do 14 miles tomorrow. Carving out 3.5+ hours to do that is going to be so hard since it is family weekend at Jenn's campus and we will be attending a football game in the pouring rain. I'll try to get to the Y when it opens at 5:30 a.m. and do it on the treadmill. UGH!

DS has cross-country championships on Sunday. I know he was really hoping to get below an 8:00 mile pace to finish up the season, but the course is going to be a muddy mess and I'm not sure he'll be able to pull it off. Please keep your fingers crossed for him! :goodvibes:

Mel - Sorry to hear about DD's knee. As far as mental toughness I wish I had some advice for you. It seems as if everyone else has pretty much said anything I would have.

Cecilia & Dave & Paul - Congrats on your half. It sounds like you had a wonderful time!!

Melissa - WOW!! That adventure race sounds like something else!! You are one tough chick!!

Carrie - You know what you said about your legs feeling great for your 12 miler, and then the bottom falling out? That's exactly how I feel. I did twelve great, but after my 14 I really hurt, so I scaled back a bit and my last long run was 12 again, and I still felt pretty good. I am terrified of my 16 miler this weekend. Is this something normal? :confused3 Do alot of people start getting injuries once they reach this mileage?

Christa - That is one tough puppy!! My dogs (labs) couldn't even dream of running a half!!

Jackie - That is why I will NOT take either of my dogs with me. I am fairly confident in my dogs ability to behave as long as another dog isn't present. As soon as another dog (especially one off leash) comes around that would be the end of it. I am so sorry that you got hurt. I did that last year, fell and skinned my knee on the road BAD, but I finished my run too. I figured it couldn't hurt any worse so I might as well finish.

Jen - I feel you with the sick kids. I just went through that myself with DS5. Here's some pixiedust: hoping she feels better soon.

Cam - Don't worry you aren't the only one jealous of Carrie and Heather. I would love to be able to have someone to run those LR's with. To this date I have run all of my LR's by myself except for the last half of my 12 miler. I would love to get together with someone from the WISH team for a run one day.

Well, it has been almost 2 weeks since I last posted. Unfortunately, not much has changed. My legs still hurt, but I think I have finally pinpointed where the pain is actually coming from, at least in my right leg. The right leg is the shin, and the knee. I still can't completely say what hurts in the left leg. Just that it hurts after I run. Then goes away. It doesn't hurt while I am running at all, just after the run. The right shin doesn't hurt while I run either, only after. And the knee starts to hurt a little while into my run. I am thinking about getting a new pair of shoes and see if that helps. I have about 220 miles on these, so it may just be time for a new pair. I have a 16 miler planned for tomorrow morning. We have a marathon coming up here in Jacksonville in December, so there are alot of people training for it. One of the groups that is training is a Jeff Galloway training group, and they are going out to the Rail Trail where I run for their 23 miler tomorrow at like 5am. So it looks like I may have to get out there REALLY early in order to get a parking space, which isn't really too much of a bad thing. I mean it will still be dark and all, but at least there will be other people out there running so I won't have to be so nervous. Anyway, I am sorry I have been MIA for so long, and I will make sure that I get back in here sometime tomorrow to let you guys know how my 16 mile LR went.

Dana (Who still hasn't gotten her packet) :sad2:

Well, I pulled myself out of bed this morning to hit the treadmill. I made it 35 minutes, but did a lot of walking the last 15 minutes. I started to feel dizzy, my blood sugar levels were off. I kind of ate crappy yesterday, so that is probably why.

The new weather predictions for tomorrow are 30 mile an hour gusts of wind. I don't know if I can run a 10K in that weather. And this would be my first 10K race ever. The farthest I have ever run was 6 miles last weekend. What would you do??

Cam - WOW, I give you credit for running 14 miles on a treadmill. I just can't do it that long. Plus I have a fear that the treadmill will over heat. Got Get Em!!!

Oh and I have to say... I DIDN'T GET MY PACKET YET!!!!! Maybe Disney heard that and will promptly send mine out. I come home everyday all excited... then nothing. I did get a new swimsuit from DisneyShopping tho... black with little white mickey heads on it.

Dana - Did I miss something?? I thought you weren't able to make it to WDW in January. Have things changed??? I hope so!!!!

Mel – Mental toughness is the only thing I am struggling with big time this year. I just try to break it down into segments. I like the quote “How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.” Thinking of it as a 26.2 mile journey is daunting, so just take each mile as it comes. Sorry you are in a funk right now. :grouphug: The fact that you have the courage to cover the distance speaks volumes more than your speed.

Amy - :wizard: for your Achilles. I hope it works itself out soon and you’re not sidelined for too long.

Craig – Thanks so much for your words of wisdom on the mental aspect of training. You are a very smart man and I always appreciate your insight. Glad to hear you’re feeling well-prepared for the main event.

Mike – Congrats on the 3+ hour run. :banana: Glad to hear the heart-rate training is working well for you.

Cecilia – Congrats on the awesome half-marathon finish!! :cheer2: Great time.

Jodi – Awesome time on the Great Pumpkin Classic!! :cool1: My 10-year anniversary was on the 26th. :love: Have a blast on your trip.

Susie – Sorry about the less than desirable run. Hang in there :grouphug:

Terri - Sorry to hear you’ve been sharing my lack of motivation issues. I hope your friends attendance at the marathon will kick you into high gear. Lots of :wizard: :wizard: for your mom.

Paul – Congrats on the half-marathon time and for the new PR!! :woohoo:

Rhonda – Best of luck in getting back in the swing of things. You can always modify your training to suit your needs. You will be fine!! Glad you had a great time on the cruise.

Dave – Congrats on your awesome half-marathon finish. :cool1: You have come so far in such a short time. As for DW and the kids at WDW, I have to share my personal experience. WDW was my first marathon a few years back and I didn’t get to see DH and the kids until mile 23 and that was it for the race. It was a HUGE disappointment and I am STILL to this day resentful. When I trained so darn hard and I didn’t have those closest there to cheer me on and share such a major accomplishment broke my heart. Please tell DW how important it is to you. This day is all about YOU!! It's about showing your kids what hard work, dedication and goal-setting is all about. Reaching for the stars… Your wife will respect that. My DH will have my DD's 5 & 9 if they want to hang out at the marathon. After a few years, DH is MORE than used to hanging out at races with the girls and waiting for me to finish.

Krista – You’re my kind of runner!! :thumbsup2 I cannot imagine running with other people either. :confused3

MelR - You ROCK!! :banana: I am always amazed and inspired by your feats. Great race report.

Carrie - Great pace on the LR. :banana: You guys are smokin’!!

Jackie – I hope you are feeling better. :wizard: Cheers for finishing the run in the face of adversity.

Helen – Best of luck on your upcoming race. Sorry Minnie did you wrong :rotfl:

Sunny – I think you hit the nail on the head with the newness factor being gone playing into the lack of motivation. Stay positive and look at how your determination has allowed you to continue this pursuit. The speed is truly irrelevant at this point.

Judy – You know they say you never forget your first… :blush:

Anne – Too funny your DS thinks you only go to WDW to race. :rotfl2:

Heather – Glad to hear you’re getting back into the groove and have found the inspiration again. Sometimes it’s easy to lose sight of it and life just kind of gets in the way.

Kevin - Sorry you’re feeling frustrated in many aspects these days. :grouphug: I hope you find answers soon and shake it off.

Matt – :wizard: :wizard: for your injury. Don’t try to run through it and risk prolonging it. XT'ing sounds like a great idea.

Kelley – Endurance athletes need carbs to fuel LR’s. Best of luck working some good nutrition into your diet to help support your training needs.

No packets for DH and I as of yet. I always hope they come on the weekend after a LR as sort of a reward.

15 miles for me tomorrow, which is shaping up to be on the TM since the forecast calls for downpours both days.

Southwest came through with a DING yesterday for our November/December WDW trip, so the DD's are in for marathon weekend!! DH laughs and says "what, seeing only me at the finish doesn't have quite the same effect?" :rotfl2: :rotfl: Silly man, my babies are my inspiration to run as my mission is to raise and empower strong women.

Best of luck to everyone racing this weekend and for the LR's. We're getting close guys!! I hope to post more frequently now that I am finally feeling like I will be prepared, both mentally and physically, come January.

Good morning all. :sunny:

DH has changes his schedule so I never know what day it is anymore. :crazy: I guess I was supposed to XT today but, not realizing it was Friday, I did a tempo run. Oh well. I do have to say, it was a happy surprise when I realized it WAS Friday! :woohoo:

Sunny - You made me laugh with that GRANITE comment! :lmao: You can complain all you want. We are here for you. I certainly understand your concerns. How can he NOT TRAIN AT ALL? I don't get it.

Carrie - Oh Carrie, I did NOT mean to rub it in to those who did not get their packets yet. No, no. :hug: I was just sharing my excitement. Consider yourself lucky you are not Cam. Poor girl, she got the call as soon as I got home and found the packets in the mailbox. She had to listen to me ramble on and on and squeal like a middle school cheerleader. :yay: As usual, Cam is always so good at putting up with my shenanigans. :hug: So, are you getting Kayanos??? :rolleyes1

Did you guys see the article in Runner's World about ASICS? The guy who designed this shoe is named Kayano. How cool is that! Don't worry, you won't be running around in Judith Anne's some day. :rolleyes:

Rhonda - Grrrr. Kayanos for $94. :furious: Grrrr. But thank you. Maybe I'll have to buy another pair! :teeth:

Matt - How are your shins today? :wizard:

Helen - Thanks for the corral info. :thumbsup2 I'm thinking I don't want to be standing for the extra hour either. I'll be watching the NYC Marathon on tv. That's about as close as I'll get to it.

Sara - Ha! That is true. :blush:

Looking ahead at the calendar I see that DH has his four kids for the entire week between Christmas and New Years. Normally, that isn't a problem but these kids are notorious for being sick. At least one of them ALWAYS has a cold or strep throat or something, all winter long. How am I going to avoid getting sick then? I CAN NOT GET SICK THE LAST WEEK OF DECEMBER! NOOOOO! :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

Tomorrow is supposed to be incredibly windy and rainy here. Grrr. Looks like my 6 mile LR is going to be on the TM. Nuts. I really wanted to go outside. Let me go check the Weather Channel website.

I got my steps in this morning. I did 45 minutes on the treadmill at the gym. I also spent 15 minutes lifting weights. I am trying to build more muscle, which will help me burn more fat. I have xt tomorrow and an 8 mile LR on Sunday.

Our community garage sale is next weekend. I will be hiding all my running shoes from DH this week so that we do not have a replay of last year's debacle. ;)

Still no packet here yet. To answer the race number mystery, I am pretty sure that the marathon numbers are distributed first, then the half marathon numbers start after that.

Honeibee said:
Looking ahead at the calendar I see that DH has his four kids for the entire week between Christmas and New Years. Normally, that isn't a problem but these kids are notorious for being sick. At least one of them ALWAYS has a cold or strep throat or something, all winter long. How am I going to avoid getting sick then? I CAN NOT GET SICK THE LAST WEEK OF DECEMBER! NOOOOO! :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

Start stocking up on the Airborne now! Wear a surgical mask! :rotfl:

After going all the way to Runner's Alley to get new shoes, they were out of my size. They called their Portsmouth store. Also out. On the way home, we stop by another sports shoes type store and they don't carry Asics Foundations at all.

So, after all that running around, what do I do? Order them online anyway! We never should have left the house. I am now a proud VIP (or whatever they call it) member at road runner sports. I am thinking this is going to be a dangerous thing! :rolleyes1 :teeth:

First of all, I wanted to thank Rhonda for sharing the footlocker code yesterday. I got so much Christmas & Hannukah shopping done on line. :teeth: I found Italia worldcup tees and a sport bag for Andy (he has been even more into his Italian heritage since my Dad died. Very sweet and sentimental :lovestruc ) and I found the same for my 16 year old nephew, plus sport bags for all the kids in our lives -- Ended up being $3.50 each (4.99 less 30%) and I'll put their gifts in sport bags and then wrap them. I also found Jets stuff for my best friend and his son. Oh, and some winter running gear for me. Just to give you an idea -- my discount was almost $82! Ouch! :eek: But I am just about done shopping for everyone but our kids, DH, and DH's family. Very cool.

Okay, guys, I am terrified of the 14 miles I am going to do tomorrow morning. This is the furthest distance I have ever gone (both of my half marathons were around 3.24 - 3.35 when done). I am going to convince myself this is like doing the half and then walking to the buses and really try to get past the mental thing. AND I am going to be sure to stretch (I always think of you, Anne!) and take aleve before I do it. I have to eat lots of carbs tonight, though, and I am heading for the Y at 5:30 a.m. to do it on the TM before we head to campus for family weekend. This is my ONLY chance to get this done this weekend so I have to pull it off. I'll be thinking of all of you to motivate myself. :grouphug:

Jen117 said:
Dana - Did I miss something?? I thought you weren't able to make it to WDW in January. Have things changed??? I hope so!!!!

Actually, I thought I told you guys. Things have changed and it seems like we "might" still be able to make it. I am hoping to sit down with DH this weekend and look at booking our hotel reservations and what not. Then I should know for sure. I don't want to get to oahead of myself and say that YES I am going, but it is really starting to look that way. DH has been telling me since we decided to cancel the trip that he wanted me to keep training anyway, which is starting to look like it was a good idea.

Hey want to know something interesting? I looked up my race number to see what zip code it was. It's for Apopka, FL. (Charlie's number is the zip of Lake Worth, FL. )

When I told my friend this she said "Ohh, that's Native American for "she who comes in first". :rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl:

Hi all, sorry but I have to do a quick drive by because DD and DS will be getting home from school in less than 10 minutes. I will try and catch up with all tomorrow. Just got back from a 10.4 mile run. Attempted to go nice and easy which worked for the first 8 but than the urge of nature hit (sorry, TMI, TMI as DD says) and I really had to pick up the pace to get to the Port-O-Pot. Well I cevered those last 2.4 miles at a 7:15 pace and made it. I was surpricsed at the pace because I have been running at a much slower pace for the last month but it really was no effort. I am telling you this program is really working for me. See you all tomorrow. Have a great night and good running/walking/wogging!

keenercam said:
Okay, guys, I am terrified of the 14 miles I am going to do tomorrow morning. This is the furthest distance I have ever gone (both of my half marathons were around 3.24 - 3.35 when done). I am going to convince myself this is like doing the half and then walking to the buses and really try to get past the mental thing. AND I am going to be sure to stretch (I always think of you, Anne!) and take aleve before I do it. I have to eat lots of carbs tonight, though, and I am heading for the Y at 5:30 a.m. to do it on the TM before we head to campus for family weekend. This is my ONLY chance to get this done this weekend so I have to pull it off. I'll be thinking of all of you to motivate myself. :grouphug:
Cam- I'm with you on this one. I think I may be doing 14 miles on the treadmill tomorrow too. It looks like it is going to rain all day tomorrow. Plus, I need to get the run done before my DD5's soccer practice at 10:00am. So I need to be running/moving by at least 6:30-7:00am. I need to get my LR in tomorrow because next weekend my in-laws are coming - so I thought I could do a taper 8 miler that week. We've had soooo much family drama this week that I am absolutely exhausted. Maybe I'll try to carbo load and go to bed at 8pm. Tonight was supposed to be the night I break the news to DW, but she made plans to go out with the girls to a movie. So it's me and the princesses, DD5 princess: and DD8 princess:, we're going to go to the children's museum when I get home from work (it's open Friday's until 8pm) and then I may just go home and go to bed.

Oh, Dave, I'll be thinking of you while I am doing my 14 -- we can commiserate via ESP. You meant bed at 8 pm, right? I hope the princesses cooperate. :goodvibes: Sending hugs for your family drama. Been there, done that, have the grey hair to prove it! :hug: pixiedust:

Thanks everyone: All your replies have really meant alot to me this week.

Sara and Sunny, I really, really appreciate your long messages. I've needed them. Let me just say that my oldest daughter, DD8 princess:, has not been herself lately, and we have been seeking some help for her. But it has been really taking it's toll on both DW and I. Plus, it has been a super busy week here at work too.

I ran on Wednesday (50 min on the treadmill), did a 30 min run outside yesterday, and did 60 min yoga x-training today. I really don't know how I'm going to get this LR in tomorrow. Maybe I'll just do the 8 miles the MFM plan calls for and try to figure out how to squeeze the 14 miler in when the in-laws are here next week. I just don't know right now, and don't really have the brain capacity to figure it out. I'm kind of playing it by ear. I really don't relish the idea of 14 miles on a treadmill, especially because my MP3 player died on me, and I'll be in a gym so I can't really watch a movie. Hmmmmm, what to do?

Dave - I am right there with you too. I have a 16 mile LR tomorrow at 5am. It's not supposed to be very cool, but it is supposed to rain cats and dogs, and I don't have a treadmill, so it's either run in the rain or not run at all. So, I'll be soaking wet, envying you guys who ran 14 and are already done!! :teeth:

Dana

Hi gang!

I've been away and just got back last night. Went on a 1.5 mile walk today through the snow...I was surprise how warm it was outside considering the dumpage we got yesterday. :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter