Wish or Magic-4 night Cruise to Bahamas?

clh2

<font color=green>I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my
Just curious, now that itineraries are out…if you had a choice between the Wish or Magic for a 4 night cruise, which would you pick and why?

This will be a trip with DH and me, our daughter and her family (DD, DSIL, and 3 grandsons who will be 6, 4 and 2).

Thanks!

If they're both out of Port Canaveral, I'd go with the Magic because I've never been on the Magic and it has a smaller passenger count so less competition at Castaway Cay. If the Magic is out of Port Everglades, I'd go with the Wish (MCO is just easier for me to get to)

I am debating this as well. We have been on the Magic and thus far it is our favorite out of the fleet not having been on Wish. I would like to try the Wish, but I'm not sure I want to spend more to try it.

Thanks for the responses! I would have never have thought to consider ship capacity!

If identical itineraries, at this point I would pick the Wish. I have cruised 10 times (74 nights) on the Magic and still appreciate her, but I have not done the Wish and am curious what my reaction would be.

Wish:

I like the looks of the little pools with steps, not just ladders found in all the adult pools. And if someone contaminates the pool, they don’t have to close down all water options.

New food venues and menu items.

New production shows.

A new ship decor - but still the beautiful livery that sets apart Disney.

In general, a new ship.

Magic:

If significantly less expensive and I just wanted a cruise, she would still win. I can get from end to end of the ship quickly & easily.

The movie theater is wonderful.

Promenade on Deck 4 is great for viewing.

Adult trivia in O’Gill’s is a better set up than the locations on the Wish (per my family).

Not sure about eating at Marvel. Animator’s Palate is less stimulating, sound and vision.

Rapunzel’s : enjoyed having the character stop and chat with each table.

… Ship capacity may be a reason I pick Magic the most. It wasn’t my first DCL ship, but the Wonder was. I also pick Magic over Dream & Fantasy. I also don’t use the water rides or mini-golf or Midship Detective Agency.

When I think of DCL, I think I picture the Magic. It’s cozy, it’s comfortable, it’s familiar.

I have been in big, new ships on other cruise lines. But I think I would gravitate to the size of ships built around 2000, not the behemoths of now.

I don’t cruise with children, so don’t know if the kids’ clubs have any significant difference.

And I enjoy Palo. Did Remy on Fantasy, but am not a high-end diner and don’t appreciate the food/ experience enough to spend that much money for it. Enchante on Wish is even more high-end.

But I wouldn’t turn down either ship option. From either port.

I would consider asking (or searching) to compare Wish and Magic for families with very young kids. My kids were a bit older by the time we started sailing Disney. We enjoy both ships, but I think most of the things my kids enjoy would be totally irrelevant to a 4 and 2yo. I do think people generally find it easier to get around on the Magic, so might be more pleasant to navigate with 3 very young children…but also Wish has more entertainment during meals, which might make it easier with young kids? Also, I think the Wish has more bigger staterooms, if you’re trying to fit 5 people in a room.

Hard for me to comment, I haven't been on the Magic yet (and that is exactly why I am cruising her in September to find out for myself what she is like, that and I want to see Lighthouse Cay). Because I like to explore (try new things) I would chose the Wish in your case for that reason alone.

Having said that, of course I will comment because that's what we do here lol. I HAVE been on the Wish and absolutely loved it, but it was just me and my wife (btw, whats with all that D this D that stuff? I keep seeing it here but geez, is that husband and son in law and daughter? LOL). The Wish is known for its kids areas, some adults complain not enough adult areas, but what my wife and I loved were the themed bars. Just incredible. and we do like fine dining as a splurge, there were more options on the Wish. Enchante was great! I also personally like the overall light color theme, just was uplifting. The Wish is also a very stable ship, felt more stable than the Dream to me (been on it twice now), so I have to imagine maybe more stable than the even smaller Magic? Don't know. The Wish is the biggest ship but I had no problem getting around, things just felt more central to me than the smaller Dream. I am sure thats all in my mind.

You didnt mention if your family was first time cruisers or not, if so, I might lean towards the Magic. Seems to me small kids might find it less intimidating. But then, I was raised to just plough through things and I dont often think about that. Just read it somewhere :)

But like someone else said, you really can not go wrong with either.

have fun!

This is not ship dependent. But FYI. No swim diapers allowed in pools. They must be potty trained. Children must be able to toilet independently to use kids’ clubs. There is a a fee-based nursery for 2 yo.

…(btw, whats with all that D this D that stuff? I keep seeing it here but geez, is that husband and son in law and daughter? LOL).

have fun!
I wonder where the D = Dear came into play. Maybe writing just H, W, S, or D seemed not enough, just a letter by itself on the page. (Husband, Wife, Son, Daughter - in case you truly hadn’t deciphered it).

I just read right over the DD, DSIL… without even considering the possibility that SIL could be sister-in-law but just contextually interpreted it as son-on-law.

Abbreviations sometimes stump me, but these are standard on both this forum and Cruise Critic.

I’m still working on how to reference my niece’s husband. Nephew works for me - I’m from the South, so a marriage between cousins isn’t totally unrealistic, right? I do, however, tend to spell out relationships because I type quickly with one finger on the iPad (and no auto-fill).

I wonder where the D = Dear came into play. Maybe writing just H, W, S, or D seemed not enough, just a letter by itself on the page. (Husband, Wife, Son, Daughter - in case you truly hadn’t deciphered it).

I just read right over the DD, DSIL… without even considering the possibility that SIL could be sister-in-law but just contextually interpreted it as son-on-law.

Abbreviations sometimes stump me, but these are standard on both this forum and Cruise Critic.

I’m still working on how to reference my niece’s husband. Nephew works for me - I’m from the South, so a marriage between cousins isn’t totally unrealistic, right? I do, however, tend to spell out relationships because I type quickly with one finger on the iPad (and no auto-fill).

I literally snorted at your comment regarding cousins and being from the south. I too am from the south though I lost my drawl a long time ago, and my father literally married my mom's cousin (AFTER my mom passed on, not blood related to dad). I digress.

I had deciphered after seeing it all over these DIS forums (but NO where else) that DH and DW referred to husband and wife, but funny enough thought the D stood for 'Disney' hence Disney Wife.. signaling our obsession with all things Disney. DW still seems strange to me. Guess I was being a little bit snarky (who me?)

I deal with the government a lot, so I am used to acronyms, but my favorite person on writing, William Zinnser, put down acronyms and technical language at best as barriers to communication (if you are an outsider) and I suppose I agree with him. Wont say what he called it at worst lol (its not to flattering).

Nephew in law? I suppose it could happen. Wiktionary says it's real. DNIL. Though that looks like a bit level computer operation to me.

Sorry. I do appreciate you clarifying the D mystery to me.

I've sailed on both ships and I would choose the Magic, particularly with younger children or if this is a first cruise. As PP noted, the ship capacity is much smaller, so, if you are stopping at CC, there will be little competition for beach chairs and the whole island will feel less crowded. The Magic is also much easier to navigate. The Wish is so oddly laid out and I hate that you have to navigate stairs to access pools. I also prefer the shows on the Magic. The Little Mermaid show on the Wish was abysmal.

I've been on the magic with young children (4yo and 1.5 yo) and am booked again on the magic. I really like that it's smaller and less people. It's hard for littles to wait in line. Plus I like the classic look of the ship. BUT I've watched vlogs of the wish and their kid clubs and pools do look better for kids.....no matter what it's going to be a blast though 😊

Having been on both...I'll vote Magic as well.

Yes, she's older and therefore a little (or a lot-it's been a few years since I've sailed her) more rusty and less shiny and new than the Wish and definitely has fewer bells and whistles but I'll reiterate that she's smaller which makes it easier for littles and their tired parents AND grandparents!

On Castaway or LHP, less competition for chairs (not, none, mind you!) and a more centralized adult area if you have the desire to escape the children.

Overall, easier to navigate and traipse after a long day playing and exploring, not to mention usually less expensive so if you get hooked on cruising... perhaps you can return 😉.

I have been on both the Wish and the Magic recently and you really can’t go wrong with either ship. My family preferred the shows on the Magic. Compare the costs, sailing dates and pick which ever one works best for you. You will enjoy whichever one you pick

I would also look at the itineraries. There are a handful of 4 night itineraries that go to both Castaway and Lighthouse Point, skipping Nassau. (There are also a bunch of 4 night cruises that skip Castaway for Lighthouse.) Skipping Nassau for Lighthouse would be a good thing...skipping Castaway for Lighthouse, not so much.

I’m picking Magic for October 2025, because I had to cancel my cruise for this year and it’s the same exact itinerary. I’m excited since haven’t been on Magic since 2018

Wish is a great ship as well though and I’d love getting on it again one day

My heart is with the Magic *but* I do think for small kids the Wish is tough to beat. The splash area for really young kids is pretty sad on the Magic compared to the Wish, and if the hope is to take all three kids to play together at the pool for some of the time, the Wish's area will hold the attention of the 4 and 6 year old much better (since the 2 year old won't be able to go in the pools). The kids clubs on the Wish are also next-level.

Of course, you'd have to weigh cost etc, but my kids still talk about the Wish and that was a year and a half and three cruises ago lol.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter