Winging it with No Dinning Plan! A Feb. Trip Report

Day Five: EPCOT

Today we are headed to EPCOT for some Festival of Arts! Here is our cheat sheet for the day.
IMG_1100

I was ready for some yummy snacks!

We all woke up around 7:15. I am pretty sure we decided to not rush this morning but I did mention that if we weren't there at rope drop it, we might not get on Soarin' But it was getting to the end of our trip, so I also didn't want to push it.

The girls woke up and checked out what Tinkerbell left.
IMG_1100

Hats around the World! I made these with Power Point and just printed them at work. So today, was a free Tink Gift day! I was looking forward to trying this as well. I thought it would make some cute pictures.

IMG_1100
The girls soaking in the sheets.

I am sure we were fairly slow moving today. But we were able to leave the room and get to the bus stop by 8:40. And a bus arrived around 8:45!
IMG_1100
Good Bus mojo this morning!

Once we got to EPCOT, Morgan and I went through the no bags entrance to get a rental stroller while Andy and Gwen waited in the bag check line.
I have that Morgan and I got through the tap stiles at 9:13 and then Andy & Gwen didn't get through till 9:30. Bag check at EPCOT is ROUGH! I might need to consider trying to not have bags that day. But I think that would be impossible for us.

IMG_1100
By 9:30, we were all through and see the giant golf ball!

Once inside, Gwen decided she needed to go to the bathroom and Andy really wanted an iced coffee. So, we headed towards Test Track. We say that the Starbucks had a SUPER long line, so Andy declined to wait in that. So we made the hard left toward EPCOT. I took Gwen to use the bathroom and I noticed a small cart with iced coffee with only a few people waiting. So, Andy headed over there.

Ok, this CM took FOREVER!!!! Literally there was maybe 2 people in front of Andy and he was still waiting to give his order when we came out of the bathroom. And Gwen is NOT fast in ladies room!

While we waited for Andy to get his coffee, we checked out some of the art in the area.
IMG_1100
I believe this was done with spray paint.

IMG_1100
And they had some of the paint by number art hanging up from previous weeks.

Once Andy was all set, we let him take a couple big swigs while we checked out a couple perspective art pieces that got slightly washed away with the rain last night. And then headed over to Test Track. I pointed out to Andy that it was helpful sometimes to have a stroller to put things, like half drank Iced Coffee...

We went into test track around 10:00 am.
IMG_1110
We waited here, for what seemed like an eternity, but I think it was a normal wait. It was just that it was our first ride of the day and we were ready to get going!

IMG_1110
But before long we were making our vehicles!

IMG_1110
This is Gwen's.... Low efficiency but SUPER pretty!

IMG_1110
And then here is Morgan's... High efficiency and Monster Truck ready!

IMG_1110
Soon we were in our car. The girls sat in front together and Andy and I sat behind them.

EPCOT_DPIRIDESYSGMTT_20180205_8171054391
Our ride photo. Andy tried to take a video of our ride...

IMG_0839
Here is the video just in case you are missing test track or have forgotten what it is like to ride in a convertible... ;)

SO, the big question... who's car won?

IMG_1122
Here's Gwen's at 200...

IMG_1122
And Morgan at 201! Close win....

We had Misson Space Fastpasses at 10:35. We finished Test Track at 10:15, so we sat down on a bench, let Andy finish his iced coffee and the girls had a snack. They were a bit crabby as they were tired. So, a little power rest was good.

Next we headed over to Mission Space.... Up next!

Day Five: Traveling into Space for the First Time!

We headed over to Mission Space! This was going to be a first for us, so I booked Green Side for us to give it a try.

IMG_1125

We got in line. Andy and Morgan said they wanted to try the orange side, but I said, lets try green first as see how it goes.

IMG_1125
We used our fast passes and were in line in no time. Morgan and Gwen were super nervous about the new ride. (as seen by Morgan playing with her hair in this picture.) I am pretty sure Gwen said she had to go to the bathroom about now as well. But also pretty sure it was just her nerves. All the warning didn't help either.

IMG_1125
We powered through, but I took this pic while waiting right outside before you go in... Gwen's face cracks me up!

How did we like it? We loved it! Well, we made the best of it. The Green side is SUPER tame! We joked about pushing too many buttons and were making jokes about doing it all in time. We had a fun time with it. I am sure if you get motion sickness, the green side could still be touch but it was so tame, I wasn't even sure if we were spinning or not. Anyone know?

Since we did so well with the Green side, we decided to try the Orange side. It said a 30 minute wait but we said let's just do it. It was NOT a 30 minute wait. It was maybe 15 minutes.

IMG_1125

While we were in line, Andy started to see notices about closures for the Eagles Super Bowl Parade. We live right next to a PATCO station which is a train that runs from New Jersey into Philadelphia. And he takes that into the city for work everyday. When the Phillies won the world Series, there were wall to wall cars around the entire area of all the PATCO stops. So, apparently they decided to shut some of the stops this time to make it more efficient. So, the whole time in line he is texting with co-workers to see what they were all going to do, as it was his first day back at work. Talk about Welcome Back!

IMG_1125
We were a little less nervous but still a little more confident this time around.

IMG_1125
The girls were ready and reporting for duty!

IMG_1125
I tried to grab a ride photo before we got settled. It's a bit blurry...

How did we like the Orange side? Man... It is SOOOO much more intense!!! The take off part is rough! I was worried I might actually toss my cookies at one point. And then I was worried how the girls were doing with it, but I didn't want to try and look to the sides. We had fun again with the buttons and switches.

We all survived and enjoyed it. We all agreed we liked the Orange side better as it was more interesting. Not sure if I would do it everytime though. After, the girls played one of the games in the dump area... It was a pathetic game, something like tic tac toe... it was silly but the girls liked playing it.

Gwen had to go to the bathroom AGAIN, so I took her, while Morgan played a little more. It was about 11:35 by now, so we headed to Spaceship Earth to use our last fastness of the morning. But we got there and the line was sooooo long for fast pass. So, we decided to change it to later in the day. I checked for other rides, Figment (40 minute wait) and Soarin (70 minute wait). No thanks. So, we headed toward the World Showcase for some food! Which I think we needed anyway!

Up next our first stop for Festival of Arts Food!

e powered through, but I took this pic while waiting right outside before you go in... Gwen's face cracks me up
Andy's face cracks me up!!!

How did we like the Orange side? Man... It is SOOOO much more intense!!! The take off part is rough! I was worried I might actually toss my cookies at one point. And then I was worried how the girls were doing with it, but I didn't want to try and look to the sides. We had fun again with the buttons and switches
Nope nope nope nope nope!!! I get so motion sick so easy, there is no chance I would ride this! Not even the green side. I'm pretty sure I read green doesn't spin at all but there's just no way I would enjoy this ride. I keep trying to make myself enjoy star tours when I have a motion sickness patch and even if it doesn't make me sick, I still don't enjoy the feeling.

It sounds like you guys had a fun morning! Looking forward to the hats (and food) of the world showcase!!!

Of all the bag check spots, I feel like Epcot's takes the longest to get through. It can be rough waiting in that line first thing in the morning.

Glad Andy got his iced coffee...eventually. And yeah, strollers are great for their extra storage!

Sounds like fun rides on Test Track and (the green) Mission: Space. It's crazy the disparity between the two versions. One is too tame and the other is too wild.

No Mission Space for me. The green side does not spin at all. I have ridden both sides, but I am all set for the future. I actually did my second college program at this ride and I cannot tell you how many people do not follow the instructions and look at their kids and then get sick so good for you for not looking.

How did we like the Orange side? Man... It is SOOOO much more intense!!! The take off part is rough! I was worried I might actually toss my cookies at one point. And then I was worried how the girls were doing with it, but I didn't want to try and look to the sides. We had fun again with the buttons and switches.
Oh man, the first time we went we did the Orange side. That was when the green side was still the same video. I felt like I was going to get sick because we'd eaten so much that day! We were checking out wedding venues, so we had had Mickey Waffles at Pop that morning before going to our ceremony site, then we had lunch at House of Blues to try the food. I made the earliest reservation I could, which was 11:30am. The servings were huge! And of course we had to try our tots :) And then we went to Epcot. It was Festival of the Arts time so we might have tried something at a booth or two, either before or after... our Garden Grill reservation! We had decided to add one of the Festival dining packages, and the only time we could get was 4pm... So we stuffed our faces again, and then we went to Mission Space :crazy2: What were we thinking???

We had decided to add one of the Festival dining packages, and the only time we could get was 4pm... So we stuffed our faces again, and then we went to Mission Space :crazy2: What were we thinking???
Ha! Someone told me to not go on it with an empty stomach, so maybe that is what you were going for...

Can't wait for the final totals on the dining!
Thanks! I am hoping to burn through the last couple days a little bit quicker...

Hats around the World! I made these with Power Point and just printed them at work. So today, was a free Tink Gift day! I was looking forward to trying this as well. I thought it would make some cute pictures.

IMG_1100
That seems like something so easy, but it really gets the girls involved in it!

IMG_1110
This is Gwen's.... Low efficiency but SUPER pretty!
Very cute! I like the flower touches!

How did we like it? We loved it! Well, we made the best of it. The Green side is SUPER tame! We joked about pushing too many buttons and were making jokes about doing it all in time. We had a fun time with it. I am sure if you get motion sickness, the green side could still be touch but it was so tame, I wasn't even sure if we were spinning or not. Anyone know?
I can imagine that ride would work well for you guys since it was a car of 4!

While we were in line, Andy started to see notices about closures for the Eagles Super Bowl Parade. We live right next to a PATCO station which is a train that runs from New Jersey into Philadelphia. And he takes that into the city for work everyday. When the Phillies won the world Series, there were wall to wall cars around the entire area of all the PATCO stops. So, apparently they decided to shut some of the stops this time to make it more efficient. So, the whole time in line he is texting with co-workers to see what they were all going to do, as it was his first day back at work. Talk about Welcome Back!
Oh boy, that doesn't sound good!

Hats around the World! I made these with Power Point and just printed them at work.

I think that's such a cute idea!!

IMG_1100
I believe this was done with spray paint.

Yep, Nathan says it is. We looked up the artist, and he's AMAZING. Super cool that they had this mural up.

40664306354_034b7d1e6d_z.jpg

Hahah this photo is fantastic!

I wasn't even sure if we were spinning or not. Anyone know?

Nope, like others have said, green side doesn't spin. Nathan's been on orange, but I absolutely refuse. Even before the brain surgery thing, I would have died on this. Too much!!

I was thinking the same thing. Looks like there's a lot of snacks being enjoyed :)
I think at one point we said this trip was a snackpaloza!

Very cute! I like the flower touches!
Gwen wouldn't have it any other way!

I can imagine that ride would work well for you guys since it was a car of 4!
Once you said that, I can see how this ride could be a little awkward stuffed into that thing with strangers!

Oh boy, that doesn't sound good!
It ended up ok, because Andy basically couldn't get into the city for work his first day back. He was basically forced to work from home. They only opened 3 PATCO stops and basically ran express the entire day. It was stupid. But Andy had a fairly easy first day back because of it. It also didn't help that Andy's office is right on the parade route, so it would have been a nightmare getting home that night.

That seems like something so easy, but it really gets the girls involved in it!
It really was so easy but they loved it! I need another idea for next time. I am thinking maybe a photo challenge of some sort for them to take pictures... inspried by @MeghanEmily! Any ideas on what kind of photos?

Yep, Nathan says it is. We looked up the artist, and he's AMAZING. Super cool that they had this mural up.
I was going to tag you in the post but forgot. I my brain, I swear sometimes... I figured N would know. How do these artists get into this event?

Day Five: Festival of Arts Food Edition

I left us off heading into the World Showcase for food! We stopped in the Odyssey Pavilion on the way. (I think that is the name) We had never been in this building, if you can believe that! We always go straight into the world.

We headed into the Pavilion and found these cute things!
Tiny Chocolate Easle
I really wanted to buy one, but it was hot out and I knew it would melt into a gross blob.

The girls did decide on a different kind of Chocolate...
Paint Your Own Chocolate
Paint Your Own Chocolate Puzzle. They saw these and were SUPER excitied to try them.

Painting Chocolate
They wasted no time getting started. The area only had those high top tables with no chairs... Why does Disney do this? We were inside a pavilion, they should of had at least 1 or 2 low tables with chairs. Thankful Gwen was tall enough to reach the the table. We did a Star Wars Dessert Party a couple years ago and she was def NOT tall enough.

While the girls were doing there art work, Andy and I tried both of the trio's they had.
Cronut Trio
This one was the Cronut Trio.

• Trio of Savory Croissant Doughnuts
    • Whipped Boursin Garlic and Fine Herbs Cheese with Fresh Herbs (V)
    • Chicken Salad with Shaved Fennel and Fresh Herbs
    • Spicy Tuna with Wasabi and Seaweed Salad
These were good. I want to say the croissants were a little oily. But they were so little that it wasn't that big of a deal. I really liked the Boursin Garlic & Herb Cheese one. While Andy really liked the Spicy Tuna one. The Chicken Salad one was just ok. But good.

Trio of Items
We also tried this one as well.

• Gallery Bites: A Trio of Hors d’Oeuvres
    • Chilled Shrimp with Cucumber Cream Cheese on a Crostini
    • Traditional Deviled Egg with Candied Bacon
    • Crispy Truffled Risotto Ball with Stone-ground Mustard
These were also good, although not super memorable... Gwen stole the Candied Bacon off of the egg. None of these were terrible but I really can't remember them being anything special.

Pomegrant Mule
I also ordered the Pomegranate Mule featuring the Ginger People Ginger Beer and Van Gogh Vodka. This was super tasty! I love a good mule and this was good. Less Gingery than a normal mule, so if that bothers you sometimes, this might be a good try. That is of course, they have it next year.

So, I am sure you are wondering... How did Morgan and Gwen's Paint by Chocolate come out....
Finished Product_02
Oye... A hot mess! The "paint" was kind of thin... so, it didn't really stay where they wanted it to stay. And even inside, the sprinkles wouldn't stay in a particular place either.

Finished Product...
But they had a good time making them and eating them. Although, they both only ate a little bit. I had plastic sandwich bags in my bag, so I took those out and put the leftover chocolate in that. As a tip... if you have kids or really even if you don't, I have found SO many uses for plastic sandwich bags in the park! Gwen never eats all of her food and then says she is hungry like 5 minutes later. So, I carry them to throw her chicken nuggets in and can pull them out later.

Anyway, once we were done with all of our goodies, we headed out to find some real food for the girls. They were still grabby and def in need of food.

So, we headed to the Mexico Pavilion next!

Both the trios look pretty good! Those chocolate puzzles look messy but at least they had fun and it kept them occupied!

Day Five: Mexico

We headed to Mexico for some food! I knew that the counter service had some items that the girls would eat. When we got over to La Cantina de San Angel, we split up. I wanted to get a margarita from Choza de Margarita. So, I went over there and Andy got in line with the girls at La Cantina.

Margarita
I ordered the Grapefruit Margarita. I really wanted all of them but I sent with just one... I thought it might be bad to order 5 at all the same time...
Acan Grapefruit
Tequila Casa Noble Blanco, Grapefruit Liqueur, Elderflower Cordial, Lemon Juice, Cardamom Bitters and Ginger Ale

This was DELISIOUS! I loved it. I am not a huge margarita drinker, but this was great. And I couldn't resist ordering the guac as well.
Guac & Chips
Guacamole
topped with Mango and Pumpkin Seeds and served with Fried Flour Chicharrón, Salsa Valentina and Lime
These was also really good. I love Guacamole and this did not disappoint. And def a must stop for me everytime now!

There was only a few people in line at Choza de Margarita, so I went over to meet up with Andy and the girls. They were up ordering when I came back over. There was a CM directing people to lines, so I just kind of stood to the side waiting for them to finish paying. The CM asked if I had family already ordering, I said yes and she let me in. I am guessing they were trying to keep the seating for people actually eating.

We found a table inside and we sat down.

Empanadas Lunch
Morgan picked the kids cheese empanadas.
Empanadas con Queso
served with Tortilla Chips, Nacho Cheese and choice of Lowfat Milk, Nestlé Nesquik® Chocolate Milk, Soda or small Dasani® Bottled Water

She said she liked them but had actually wished they had meat in them. But she was happy with them.

Gwen had the very mexican...
Chicken Nuggets and Chips Lunch
Chicken Tenders
served with Tortilla Chips, Fruit and choice of Lowfat Milk, Nestlé Nesquik® Chocolate Milk, Soda or small Dasani® Bottled Water

Super exciting! Gwen had hit the Hangry stage and at first didn't want to eat... But we said we weren't moving until she ate some food. She finally ate and we all kind of picked at the food, I think Morgan might have had one of the tenders.

And we finally, headed out. We headed into the Mexican Pavilion, of course.

We quickly found the Coco Exhibit. I loved it but Morgan and Gwen found it creepy.

Coco_Sign

Coco Exhibit_Bride & Groom
I love that it is an IP but still true to that country.

Coco Exhibit_Cat & Dog

It was time for our first Hats around the World!
Mexico_Hats around the World
We all picked the giant hats.... except Gwen, which I think makes it that much funnier.

Perry in Window
We saw Perry! Not sure if someone was actually playing the game or if he was just stuck that way. The girls were excited to spot him.

Coco Exhibit
And then we took a quick look around and then headed into the main area. To take a ride with the 3 Caballeros!

3 Cabs_Jose Sign

3 Cabs
I love this ride. I mean it isn't a thrill ride but it so fun and "Usually" has no line. Although I wouldn't mind it if they did update it with Coco.

3 Cabs_Girl
So cute!

3 Cabs_Mexico Flags
I love this area the best.

3 Cabs_Fireworks
Along with the fireworks. They are so old but I love them!

3 Cab_
I have already forgotten what was hear before they put these guys back.

3 Cabs Boat Selfie
We stole a quick Family Ride Selfie.

We got off and there was still no line, and the girls wanted to go again. So we did! After the second ride, though, it was time to more on. So, we headed out of the pavilion and found our stroller. The girls hopped in and we headed onward!

Up Next Norway!

It was time for our first Hats around the World!
We all picked the giant hats.... except Gwen, which I think makes it that much funnier.
So cute and hilarious!

Perry in Window
We saw Perry! Not sure if someone was actually playing the game or if he was just stuck that way. The girls were excited to spot him.
I want to try the Agent P adventure, I think one of my next trips... I also want to finally give Sorcerers of Magic Kingdom a try and the Pirate quest! Yes...I truly am a little kid!

Disappointed to hear that the chocolate pieces didn't hold the paint and sprinkles that well. It looked like a great idea for kids. Kind of the perfect thing to keep them entertained while the adults can sample other food.

The Coco displays look great; I don't think there's too many people that would be upset if they changed Gran Fiesta Tour to a Coco theme.
Glad you guys were able to sit back and relax for a few minutes while riding the attraction a couple times.

IMG_1100
I gotta give props to your mad creativity skills. This is brilliant!

Bag check at EPCOT is ROUGH! I might need to consider trying to not have bags that day. But I think that would be impossible for us.
It really is the worst. I'm not sure why they aren't actively trying to fix it. I'm so thankful we'll be on the IG side of Epcot on our trip so we won't have to deal with it.

IMG_1110
We waited here, for what seemed like an eternity, but I think it was a normal wait. It was just that it was our first ride of the day and we were ready to get going!
This always seems like an eternity too. When you are making the car it seems to go so fast but when you are waiting it might as well be an hour.

IMG_1122
And Morgan at 201! Close win....
Wow, that was close!

IMG_1125
We powered through, but I took this pic while waiting right outside before you go in... Gwen's face cracks me up!
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

I am sure if you get motion sickness, the green side could still be touch but it was so tame, I wasn't even sure if we were spinning or not. Anyone know?
I've never done it so I don't know but now you make me think I could try it on our next trip. Provided it is green only!

Gwen had to go to the bathroom AGAIN, so I took her, while Morgan played a little more. It was about 11:35 by now, so we headed to Spaceship Earth to use our last fastness of the morning. But we got there and the line was sooooo long for fast pass. So, we decided to change it to later in the day. I checked for other rides, Figment (40 minute wait) and Soarin (70 minute wait). No thanks. So, we headed toward the World Showcase for some food! Which I think we needed anyway!
I think Gwen and I could be bathroom buddies. I have to go about every 1.5 second and Casey gets so mad when I drag her along.

Painting Chocolate
They wasted no time getting started. The area only had those high top tables with no chairs... Why does Disney do this? We were inside a pavilion, they should of had at least 1 or 2 low tables with chairs. Thankful Gwen was tall enough to reach the the table. We did a Star Wars Dessert Party a couple years ago and she was def NOT tall enough.
They were out of these when we tried to get them last year so Casey never got to try it. Though that "paint" looks like water. I'm pretty sure it was chocolate last yer.

Cronut Trio
This one was the Cronut Trio.

• Trio of Savory Croissant Doughnuts
    • Whipped Boursin Garlic and Fine Herbs Cheese with Fresh Herbs (V)
    • Chicken Salad with Shaved Fennel and Fresh Herbs
    • Spicy Tuna with Wasabi and Seaweed Salad
We liked these last year too, except for the chicken salad one. I'm actually surprised they still have it as it needed a major flavor shakeup.

Margarita
I ordered the Grapefruit Margarita. I really wanted all of them but I sent with just one... I thought it might be bad to order 5 at all the same time...
Acan Grapefruit
Tequila Casa Noble Blanco, Grapefruit Liqueur, Elderflower Cordial, Lemon Juice, Cardamom Bitters and Ginger Ale
Yum, yum, yum!!!! Can't wait to try this. Are they as good as the ones in La Cava????

Guac & Chips
Guacamole
topped with Mango and Pumpkin Seeds and served with Fried Flour Chicharrón, Salsa Valentina and Lime
These was also really good. I love Guacamole and this did not disappoint. And def a must stop for me everytime now!
Speaking of yum. These look awesome. Were they a normal item or something special for the festival?

Gwen had the very mexican...
At least it came with tortilla chips!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Oh Gwen!

It really is the worst. I'm not sure why they aren't actively trying to fix it. I'm so thankful we'll be on the IG side of Epcot on our trip so we won't have to deal with it.
That gave me a good idea! If we take an uber on our EPCOT day, we could potentially take an uber to Boardwalk and walk over to the IG entrance... hmmm.

I've never done it so I don't know but now you make me think I could try it on our next trip. Provided it is green only!
A couple people commented that it doesn't spin. Which really all green is, is tight space.

We liked these last year too, except for the chicken salad one. I'm actually surprised they still have it as it needed a major flavor shakeup.
I can see them keeping it for the folks that the tuna might be a daring choice for.

Yum, yum, yum!!!! Can't wait to try this. Are they as good as the ones in La Cava????
Sooo, I haven't actually had a margarita from La Cava yet, so I am not sure. But it seemed like they are using the same stuff as La Cava for the 2 or 3 hand mixed drinks. I want to try the pepercon one! You need to do some "research" for me.

Speaking of yum. These look awesome. Were they a normal item or something special for the festival?
These are standard and I def recommend!

Just wait, she gets a couple other good ones later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter