Will traffic be lighter during fall break?

Skylarr29

DIS Veteran
We will be in O‘ahu during their school fall break October 8 - 12th. Do you think this will help with traffic? Wondering if we should swap some our activities from the previous week if it will make a difference.

Traffic is bad on Oahu no matter when you go. The only days that are lighter are Saturday and Sunday. Try and plan your activities after rush hour in the am or after rush hour in the pm. AM rush hour starts before 6 am and is generally over by 9 am, so if you leave the resort at 8:30 am you are usually ok.

Thank you. I planned a lot of our mornings to be early ones (coming from east coast). Now wondering if I should change that plan bc we will just be leaving early to sit in traffic.

Fall break would only be for the public schools (maybe a private school or 2 as well). There are quite a few private schools, and UH that would still be in session, so traffic would still potentially be bad...maybe not as bad...but definitely not good. if schools are out it also means that places like malls, beaches, and parks will be more crowded than they normally would as well.

Maybe I am hardened by the Atlanta traffic I experience daily, but Honolulu is bad but not that bad. It always seems to be moving at least 20 miles an hour unlike Home where it just stops.

Just plan for the needed time and start your day when you want to start your day.

I agree that it likely won't make a difference in terms of traffic. You may notice an up-tick in crowds at Aulani during those days, if locals decide to take advantage of the break.

Traffic will be a little lighter. Expect to take 10-12 minutes off a one hour commute. As a pp mentioned, UH and most private schools are still in sessions. Public schools here serve their geographical region, so public school alleviate local traffic at best. However, lots of parents take the week off to travel or care for their kids, and that does help to alleviate traffic.

I’ve never been to Aulani during fall break, but I know a lot of families that have. It’s supposedly packed with locals. I would suggest swapping activities with the prior week. I’m not sure what activities you have planned, but I doubt most tourist attractions such as PCC and Kualoa don’t see a huge uptick in attendance during fall break.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter