Wilderness Lodge Bathrooms

Cubana2004

Earning My Ears
Not sure this is the right board for this question but i was hoping someone here might have the answer. My family and i are Disney regulars (we live in Florida) and are planning on heading to Disney World again this year during December.

My grandmother will be travelling with us and because of difficulties with her knees she's unable to step up and into a tub. I understand that the Handicapped rooms at the resorts have walk in showers. This would be absolutely perfect but since she is not in a wheel chair we don't neccesarily need all the extra space. Are other rooms with walk in showers available?

I've looked through these boards enough to know that Handicapped rooms are sometimes at a shortage and i'd hate to take one since we won't be using a wheel chair (not to mention with 3 adults 1 bed no matter how large won't do) but unless walk in showers are available in non-handicapped rooms i'm not sure what else we can. Any suggestions would be appreciated, i was looking forward to staying at the wilderness lodge during the holidays but if another resort will accomodate her needs better i'd be glad to switch.

Thanks in advance for your help

We stayed in a handicap room on our honeymoon. Got it by default I guess! The room did have a roll in/walk in large shower. Also a roll up counter and sink. Really great for wheelchair bound person etc...
If you get a "regular" room instead - what about a shower bench? They are very light/ easy to break down and travel well. She could sit and swivel around and into the shower.
Also if she get's tired easily - consider a walker with a bench so she can sit while in line. My friend w/ MS said this was a life saver.
Good luck and do what's right for you.
:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

You can call this number and get help with your questions:
Resort Reservations: 407-939-7807 (TTY: 407-939-7670)

Some rooms are fully wheelchair accessible with roll in showers, others have bathtubs with grab bars.
As was already mentioned, she might not be able to step into a shower, but might be able to sit on a shower bench and then lft her legs into the tub, using a handheld shower.
At some resorts, some of the roll in shower rooms have one king bed, but other rooms have 2 queens.
So, you should be able to get what you need.

Cubana2004 said:
Not sure this is the right board for this question but i was hoping someone here might have the answer. My family and i are Disney regulars (we live in Florida) and are planning on heading to Disney World again this year during December.

My grandmother will be travelling with us and because of difficulties with her knees she's unable to step up and into a tub. I understand that the Handicapped rooms at the resorts have walk in showers. This would be absolutely perfect but since she is not in a wheel chair we don't neccesarily need all the extra space. Are other rooms with walk in showers available?

I've looked through these boards enough to know that Handicapped rooms are sometimes at a shortage and i'd hate to take one since we won't be using a wheel chair (not to mention with 3 adults 1 bed no matter how large won't do) but unless walk in showers are available in non-handicapped rooms i'm not sure what else we can. Any suggestions would be appreciated, i was looking forward to staying at the wilderness lodge during the holidays but if another resort will accomodate her needs better i'd be glad to switch.

Thanks in advance for your help

Another possibility would be to switch to a 1-bedroom suite at the Wilderness Lodge Villas. Depending on when you are going, you might be able to rent one from a DVC member for not much more than the cost of a regular room (check out the rental board here.) I believe that all DVC one-bedrooms and larger units have both a walk-in shower and a whirlpool tub. You can't get the MYW plus dining plan, but you do get a full kitchen. 1-bedroom suites have a king-sized bed, plus a sleeper sofa in the living room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter