Why won't my check to Walmart clear the bank?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Last week I was at a Walmart in Chattanooga, TN and purchased $129 worth of groceries. As I was getting out my checkbook the cashier accidentally pushed the cash button instead of check. So what I ended up doing was going ahead and writing out the check and giving it to them, and they let me scan the receipt in my Walmart app. Now the check has not cleared the bank. This was on October 9th, wonder what gives?

It usually only takes a few days for a check to process. This is strange.

Last week I was at a Walmart in Chattanooga, TN and purchased $129 worth of groceries. As I was getting out my checkbook the cashier accidentally pushed the cash button instead of check. So what I ended up doing was going ahead and writing out the check and giving it to them, and they let me scan the receipt in my Walmart app. Now the check has not cleared the bank. This was on October 9th, wonder what gives?

It usually only takes a few days for a check to process. This is strange.

Not really so strange, when they print/scan your check it goes straight to the clearing house. This time the check was placed in a drawer as cash and had to go through the stores cash office, then possibly to a regional office then to be proccesed by their bank then finally through the clearing process to your institution. Debt cards are so much safer and faster, when you give someone a check you give them plenty of personal information including your account number and where you bank.

Not really so strange, when they print/scan your check it goes straight to the clearing house. This time the check was placed in a drawer as cash and had to go through the stores cash office, then possibly to a regional office then to be proccesed by their bank then finally through the clearing process to your institution. Debt cards are so much safer and faster, when you give someone a check you give them plenty of personal information including your account number and where you bank.
When I normally give Walmart a check, it's like 3 days tops. This have been 10 days. Something is different.

I would either leave it for now and wait for your statement, or go back to the store and see if they can explain why it hasn't presented.

Most likely, as described above, the check got put in the wrong satchel or envelope and is making a long detour through the company's financial departments. Just like airline baggage sometimes does and you wait days for it to arrive at your destination.

I would give it at least 30 days.

When I normally give Walmart a check, it's like 3 days tops. This have been 10 days. Something is different.
Yes something is different, the cashier hit the cash button instead of check and you had to write out the check rather than the computer printing and scanning it and the cashier had to put it in the drawer as cash to balance at the end of the day.

Walmart presents check images for payment, not physical checks. It's a function of their registers when they are used correctly. Your check will actually be submitted physically or eventually rescanned by some back office. It's totally different and completely outside of how Walmart generally presents checks. It will take a while.

Yes something is different, the cashier hit the cash button instead of check and you had to write out the check rather than the computer printing and scanning it and the cashier had to put it in the drawer as cash to balance at the end of the day.
Yes, but then they ran it through the scanner, so I just don't know. I need to go look and see if it cleared last night.

I'm still waiting for a check I wrote in 2000 to clear. I checked with the merchant, and HIS bank put the money in his account, it just never got taken out of my account. Drove me nuts every month when I balanced my checkbook. I think about 2010 I just entered the money back into my checking account as a deposit!

I'm still waiting for a check I wrote in 2000 to clear. I checked with the merchant, and HIS bank put the money in his account, it just never got taken out of my account. Drove me nuts every month when I balanced my checkbook. I think about 2010 I just entered the money back into my checking account as a deposit!
I would have stopped payment on that check a long time before 2010.

I am just shocked you wrote a check. I haven't done that in a decade.:teeth:
Guess you haven't bought a car in 10 years. My daughter bought her first car on her own in April. She has a debit card, a credit card, Pay Pal etc, and was shocked to discover the only two ways she could make a down payment were cash or check.
In a normal month these days I write about 3 checks.

I pay my property taxes by check because they levy a 2.29% fee for other payment methods. I'm NOT giving them an additional $48 on top of my $2,100 property taxes every year. The Tax Assessor website says paper checks are the least expensive payment method for them to process.

Guess you haven't bought a car in 10 years. My daughter bought her first car on her own in April. She has a debit card, a credit card, Pay Pal etc, and was shocked to discover the only two ways she could make a down payment were cash or check.
In a normal month these days I write about 3 checks.

I pay my property taxes by check because they levy a 2.29% fee for other payment methods. I'm NOT giving them an additional $48 on top of my $2,100 property taxes every year. The Tax Assessor website says paper checks are the least expensive payment method for them to process.
Same with college tuition.

In 1999 I wrote a check to Kroger and it never cleared. I did like you. I just eventually adjusted my balance. why do I remember this? It was the year my son was born and I bought formula.

I am just shocked you wrote a check. I haven't done that in a decade.:teeth:

I am shocked you wrote a check to Walmart. I only use a credit card at grocery and department stores. Writing a check takes so long at the check out line, especially when there is a line of people behind you.

I do still write the occasional check, just not anywhere that I can use a credit card to earn the reward points.

I am shocked you wrote a check to Walmart. I only use a credit card at grocery and department stores. Writing a check takes so long at the check out line, especially when there is a line of people behind you.

I do still write the occasional check, just not anywhere that I can use a credit card to earn the reward points.
I had left my wallet at home underneath my file with my bills and the mail I was going through. Realized it in the line. But I had my checkbook with me. But I do use checks at Walmart and I also use plastic as well.

Once they add in benefits and taxes it is costing the government $150,000 per year to hire someone to open checks and deposit them. No way that is cheaper for them than an electronic payment. At our county's website you just enter your checking account routing number and the account number. Much easier for them to process.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter