Why We Can't Have Nice Things...

OMG! What happened?
:scared: It's kind of a blur in my memory now because it was 4'ish years ago; probably the first week or month that I had that vehicle - my first with a push-start. I know the steering locked when the engine quit and I'm pretty sure I must have had to break to re-start it (the push-start only works when your foot is on the brake) but I don't remember having to shift gears or anything. The whole incident couldn't have taken more than a few seconds and must have turned out fine (since I'm here, unscathed - thank you Jesus!). The really, really stupid thing is I almost did it again once or twice while I was getting used to the vehicle - it's got a particularly "busy" dash with lots of buttons and knobs. :o

Coincidentally, my lease is almost up and we're going car shopping today. Lord willing I'll find something I like that's idiot-proof and still uses a conventional key in the ignition. :drive:

I thought it was quite nice when we moved into our new home the Welcoming Committee for our HOA dropped by with a serving tray wrapped up with local coupons, a zucchini bread made by a couple living in the neighborhood and a few other papers regarding things to do in the area.

Our builder (as we had our house built) also gave us a 24 pack of water (with moving day in mind) and a tool kit that came with all sorts of things (like hammer, screw drivers, measuring tape, level, etc) . I loved the tool kit because it was one made for smaller hands (I know sometimes it's marketed as for women ugh).

Those little touches really make you feel welcome, wish all places did that sort of stuff.

Same for us when we moved into our house on Cape Cod.
Baked goods, maps,local coupons & a holiday plant.

:scratchin Every notice how in the States when you're paying with debit the machine doesn't give you a choice which account you want the payment to come out of? We've got 2 accounts linked to our card and are used to using each of them for separate things. In the States I'm not even sure which account they're drawing from until I check my accounts. :confused3
Yes when paying at a point of sale machine in the store I never get a choice. At an ATM I do. It does always seem to come out of the primary account on my card, but it would be nice to be able to designate which account it comes from like I can hear at home.

Not referring to ATM's; of course you can choose when you're using a bank machine. Here though, when you use debit at point-of-purchase you must select which account you want the funds withdrawn from. I've never seen that option on a retail debit machine in the States.

I think it's automatically linked to take from one's checking account. As previous to paying by debit cards, one could write a check for purchases. So the debit card replaces the check and takes the money directly out of the checking account.

Yes,exactly. If I use my card at an ATM machine, I have a choice among checking and two different savings accounts. If I use the same card as a debit card, it automatically comes out of checking.

A real, traditional, office CHRISTMAS PARTY.
:santa: We still have them and probably always will. They're formal events after-hours in a fancy venue, 100% paid for by the company and attendance is completely optional.
Having one more " for the road".
:rolleyes1 Hard to argue that this one isn't for the best though. Can't believe anybody would consider driving under the influence to be a "nice thing".

:santa: We still have them and probably always will. They're formal events after-hours in a fancy venue, 100% paid for by the company and attendance is completely optional.

:rolleyes1 Hard to argue that this one isn't for the best though. Can't believe anybody would consider driving under the influence to be a "nice thing".

We have Christmas parties too.

Like you, I can’t believe someone thinks drinking and driving is something that we’re missing out on. Totally tone deaf..

I agree, but I would like to legally drink a beer in the car sometimes. I’m not talking about one of many, just one on a hot day driving home from work or the gym.

Can’t you just wait til you get home or wherever you’re going?
Sure, but can’t you say that about everyone eating fast food, talking on their phones, drinking non-alcoholic beverages, etc? I’m 6’3”, 200 lbs. Enjoying one beer during a 30 minute drive does not make me any riskier behind the wheel than doing those other things.

Sure, but can’t you say that about everyone eating fast food, talking on their phones, drinking non-alcoholic beverages, etc? I’m 6’3”, 200 lbs. Enjoying one beer during a 30 minute drive does not make me any riskier behind the wheel than doing those other things.

Yes, you can, and in my city you are fined if you are caught on your phone while driving. Hands free is ok, but there’s still way too many people who do it.

Drinking and driving is illegal for a reason. I doubt you’d get anywhere if you petitioned your city or state to change the law.

playgrounds with things like monkey bars and teeter-totters
I agree, but I would like to legally drink a beer in the car sometimes. I’m not talking about one of many, just one on a hot day driving home from work or the gym.
I'm pretty old and I can’t ever remember a time when that was actually legal.

Yes, you can, and in my city you are fined if you are caught on your phone while driving. Hands free is ok, but there’s still way too many people who do it.

Drinking and driving is illegal for a reason. I doubt you’d get anywhere if you petitioned your city or state to change the law.
I don’t plan to petition my city or state. :confused3

It is actually legal to drink and drive, as long as you don’t meet the BAC levels that apply to DUI. I don’t defend DUI.

It is actually legal to drink and drive, as long as you don’t meet the BAC levels that apply to DUI. I don’t defend DUI.

That’s true, I should have said over the limit drinking and driving.

I guess you could have a beer in the parking lot before you leave the gym..you just have to make sure you aren’t caught. Obviously I don’t know the laws where you live but I don’t think that was ever allowed in my city. I have a cocktail maybe twice a year so I don’t keep up with the drinking laws here lol

You're right about other distractions but I think in general alcohol and its affects on a person depend on individual factors and situational/environmental factors.

1 beer on a 30min drive with an average % of alcohol may not affect you much but another person it could. Things like what percentage of alcohol it is, what they've had to eat and drink during the day, the conditions one was in before drinking, the person and their ability to metabolize the alcohol, etc. It's a lot of risk factors for a blanket acceptable of 'one more for the road'.

You're right about the BAC. But I don't believe it's legal to drink and drive with the exception of Mississippi according to an article from Dec 2017...it's legal to drive if your BAC is below the legal limit of impairdness (sp?) but not to drink while driving.

1 beer on a 30min drive with an average % of alcohol may not affect you much but another person it could. Things like what percentage of alcohol it is, what they've had to eat and drink during the day, the conditions one was in before drinking, the person and their ability to metabolize the alcohol, etc. It's a lot of risk factors for a blanket acceptable of 'one more for the road'.
However, if you drink a beer (and yes, I'm talking just one) in the parking lot, then get in the car and drive, that's legal. But drinking it WHILE driving is not. If you think about it, that really doesn't make sense.

You want to arrest someone for being over the legal limit? Go right ahead. But if they're under the limit, why does it make a difference when they drink?

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest