Why does Disney make it hard for larger families?

If you decide to look into renting DVC points, check out Kidani at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Their two-bedroom units have 3 bathrooms!

Have a fantastic trip!

I see this discussion about families of 5 or more a lot on the boards, and it causes me to wonder: Don't families of 5 or more have the same problem anywhere they try to rent a hotel room? I have rarely seen hotel rooms with allowed occupation over 4 people, so I don't think the need to rent 2 rooms or get a condo or larger space is unique to Disney?

I see this discussion about families of 5 or more a lot on the boards, and it causes me to wonder: Don't families of 5 or more have the same problem anywhere they try to rent a hotel room? I have rarely seen hotel rooms with allowed occupation over 4 people, so I don't think the need to rent 2 rooms or get a condo or larger space is unique to Disney?

It is not, but I think that there can be an expectation that Disney should accommodate larger groups is a more budget friendly manner than other destinations. My sister and I always traveled together when the kids were all young, We took our kids, my brother's kids and sometimes my DD friend. We knew going in what the biggest challenge would be, and that was lodging. WE either rented a house at the beach if we wanted a summer vacation, but after the infamous 11 out of 14 day rain disaster we ended that and started looking for a destination that would cover us for weather. WE used to go to a dude ranch that allowed you to pay all inclusive per person. The rooms were part of it, so we could choose the accommodation that suited our size group. There were conditions attached, of course, but again...you choose to travel in a larger group, you must accept the cost.

Honestly, I think that most people generally accept the cost, make compromises when necessary and move on. I think that on the DIS we see some of the families that are pricing Disney for the first time and are shell-shocked. The "sale" pricing we see on advertisements can be deceptive when you price your own trip and have more people than the two adults and two under 10 set.

I am married with a step-daughter (16), two sons (10 & 8), one adopted son (5) and two foster daughters (15 months and 4 months). That first and last family trip we took was in December of 2013. Unfortunately, I did not know about this site at the time and hadn’t discovered the DIS Unplugged podcast as well. In fact, that trip did not go as well as I had hoped because I wasn’t as prepared as I wish I had been. When I got back I promised myself I would do the research before planning our next trip. That is when I came across the DIS Unplugged YouTube page and my addiction began!

I am now looking to plan a Disney World trip this upcoming fall but find it difficult to plan the trip and stay on Disney property considering my options are limited unless I am able to spend a ridiculous amount of money (which I cannot). I do realize that if we stay offsite we will spend less money but if I am going to plan a trip for the family we will want to stay onsite. Mainly because of theming but also for the convenience factor, free parking (we will drive to Orlando), fast pass selections and the possibility of free dining (I realize that this is very hard to get now). When we came in 2013 we stayed at All Star Music in one of their suites. This was fine for our family at the time but now we have added two more little ones. This seems to leave me with very few options. The All Star Music & Art of Animation suites state that they can sleep up to 6 adults. Not sure what that means for us since we have two adults and 6 children. Except for the campsites (which my wife would never approve), everything else onsite that would hold our family would be well out of our price range.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any large families out there that have dealt with these same issues?

Mark
I can totally understand where your concern lies. We are on property people, and for our family size it can be exceptionally expensive. For our upcoming trip we decided to book a campsite and rent a 38 ft. camper with bump outs. The company arrives before you do and sets the camper up for you. It includes everything down to towels and linens, and even camp chairs. Our rental even included a golf cart. It was about $150 a night not including the campsite. I'm looking forward to it, because it will be a different sort of Disney vacation for us.
If we were able to travel during free dining season, I would have booked 3 rooms at pop. Our last trip was adjoining rooms there with free dining, and was actually cheaper than this vacation will be.
We have honestly done Disney all ways, staying in a time share (Vistana and Orange lakes), staying in Values, Moderates, and Deluxe, and now staying at the campsites. I definitely prefer on site. I just prefer the "all inclusive" feeling. But the price tag for a large family stinks.
I know a lot of people say that Disney offers lots of options for larger families, but when a suite costs more than 2 value rooms, the options aren't ideal.

It is not, but I think that there can be an expectation that Disney should accommodate larger groups is a more budget friendly manner than other destinations.

They certainly don't accommodate smaller groups in a more budget friendly manner than other destinations, so I'm not sure why there would or should be this sort of expectation for larger groups.

I know a lot of people say that Disney offers lots of options for larger families, but when a suite costs more than 2 value rooms, the options aren't ideal.

The cost to go from 2 rooms to a suite, at least at ASMu is minimal. Comparing preferred rooms to a suite (all suites are in the buildings nearest the front) sometimes the suite is even cheaper. If you use the suite's kitchenette for quick meals in the room you can save a lot of money, more than making up any cost difference.

I think I know what OP meant by not having more budget-friendly options for larger groups (onsite) - it just hits the wallet hard when your room accommodations costs essentially doubles for adding just ONE person over your basic group of 4. Over the years we've had travel groups as small as 3 and as large as 7 and everything in between. Anytime we have more than a basic group of 4, we've done one of the following:

- 2 Value rooms
- Campsite - we already own camping equipment and have camped for years so there's no additional investment in gear or learning curve for setup
- When DH & I both worked and our budget could handle it we stayed in Moderate rooms that could sleep more people -
- Try to book at a time when they offer a Dining promotion to offset the extra money spent on the pricier room (or having to pay for 2 rooms), by not having to pay as much for food. Dining promotions have more "value" the more people you have in your room, so it actually helps to have a bigger group in that case.

Having five kiddos for us actually means that the Orlando area is a 'cheaper' option for accommodation. It is one of the few destinations that large accommodation is plentiful, whether renting a VRBO house or timeshare, it is easy to find something that can manage our family all in one space. I priced out going to San Diego instead last year-it is way closer (we are in western Canada), so I figured would be cheaper-I couldn't find a rental that would accommodate us that wasn't double what we would pay in Orlando. Finding a three bedroom condo in Hawaii is crazy expensive and so if food. It can be done less expensive if you really want it to, but it takes work and commitment (making your own lunches, planning meals ahead etc.).

They certainly don't accommodate smaller groups in a more budget friendly manner than other destinations, so I'm not sure why there would or should be this sort of expectation for larger groups.
You do not think so? You can stay onsite in a value resort if you have up to 4 and one under 3, and keep the costs down. The resorts are reasonable priced, IMO. You certainly will pay more than if you are staying in a Motel 6, but they are not outrageously priced. I just priced an All Stars in June using the fun and sun discount. Standard room was 125.00 per night.

I follow the discounts, and will not travel without one, so this is a compromise my family makes to keep within a budget. I honestly think that the values are priced pretty well for a resort vacation destination. I also believe the moderates are as well. You just need to be able to be flexible, but that is the case almost in everything.

You do not think so? You can stay onsite in a value resort if you have up to 4 and one under 3, and keep the costs down. The resorts are reasonable priced, IMO. You certainly will pay more than if you are staying in a Motel 6, but they are not outrageously priced. I just priced an All Stars in June using the fun and sun discount. Standard room was 125.00 per night.

I follow the discounts, and will not travel without one, so this is a compromise my family makes to keep within a budget. I honestly think that the values are priced pretty well for a resort vacation destination. I also believe the moderates are as well. You just need to be able to be flexible, but that is the case almost in everything.

A similar quality motel in the "real world" wouldn't cost near $125 per night. We drive to Disney and stay in places like Holiday Inn Express and Country Inn & Suites. These hotels are nicer, in my opinion, featuring indoor walkways, queen beds, and free breakfast. And they cost less than $125 per night.

A similar quality motel in the "real world" wouldn't cost near $125 per night. We drive to Disney and stay in places like Holiday Inn Express and Country Inn & Suites. These hotels are nicer, in my opinion, featuring indoor walkways, queen beds, and free breakfast. And they cost less than $125 per night.
Depends on where you are. A motel at the jersey shore in the summer is around $160 a night. That does not include breakfast, or indoor walkways.

Depends on where you are. A motel at the jersey shore in the summer is around $160 a night. That does not include breakfast, or indoor walkways.

I don't doubt that. But I think in most places, motels are less than $125 per night. There are exceptions to every rule.

I don't doubt that. But I think in most places, motels are less than $125 per night. There are exceptions to every rule.

Not too many in the heart of a vacations destinstion. I take my dgd to nyc every year and pay an average of 375 per night for a really small room.

Hampton beach 5years ago average 350 per night.

Hampton Inn this June in Mi 200 per night.

if you want to compare costs you need to compare Apples to apples.

My niece used to ride inteh Pan Mass Challenge, stopping in the middle in Hyannis. We book motel rooms in Hyannis and it was about 160 per night. Not on the shore but on the main road.

Not too many in the heart of a vacations destinstion. I take my dgd to nyc every year and pay an average of 375 per night for a really small room.

Hampton beach 5years ago average 350 per night.

Hampton Inn this June in Mi 200 per night.

if you want to compare costs you need to compare Apples to apples.

A Hampton Inn isn't a motel though.

My point is that Disney's costs aren't really higher for larger groups than smaller ones. A party of 4 gets a room for 125, a party of 8 gets 2 rooms for 250. Disney isn't making it outrageous for large groups and cheap for small ones.

A Hampton Inn isn't a motel though.

My point is that Disney's costs aren't really higher for larger groups than smaller ones. A party of 4 gets a room for 125, a party of 8 gets 2 rooms for 250. Disney isn't making it outrageous for large groups and cheap for small ones.

Now I understand!! You are correct, Disney is not cheap.And. it is not any different for larger groups than any other destination. You have over 4? You are going to pay more. I never thought Disney was outrageous for large groups, though. I think that you want a large party, you know you are going to need to compromise somewhere.

My point earlier was that there is a segment of people who are nonplussed that Disney does not reduce the cost for large parties. There are options but they don't want those. ANd those Disney commercials don't help.

I gues I just don't get why anyone would make this assumption. I would think by this point everyone knows disney is expensive.

When you see the advertisements it can be deceptive, so when you price the trip out, especially if your family does not fit into one of the rooms the ad based it's cost on, the price can be a shock. Add food and tickets and the vacation is increased again. What may seem to be a budget friendly destination to those who have not experienced this destination is now much more expensive.

I don't understand why anyone would think Disney was budget-friendly at this point.

They also don't strike me as a company to give "group discounts", at least not when we're talking about 6-8 people. Cruising is an industry with a lot more price variation and weirdness, but I'm pretty sure cruise lines and cruise travel agents still want you to have more than two rooms before they'll start discussing "bulk pricing".

Disney is a billion dollar corporation and they do what they have to to stay that way.

(Sorry for the cynicism, I'm just also not seeing the logic of why a group of eight should pay less per bed per night than a group of four or a group of two. If the commercials people keep referencing are actually implying that's the case, my apologies.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter