Why do they close down the lazy river and pools so early??!!

fairytalelover

DIS Veteran
We just got back and I have to say that it was like a retirement home at Aulani. By 6pm they closed down the lazy river and by 8pm all the pools and jacuzzis closed down. They basically rolled up the resort and went to sleep there every night by 8pm. It was ridiculous. We pay all of that money for a super expensive deluxe resort that brags about being a water activities-based resort but everything closes down. Even the kids club was closed by 8pm, if you were lucky enough to try to check in before they got to full capacity. Not to mention that our son was not allowed to play in the menehune bridge because he was too tall at 10 years old.

So you use the restaurants? That has always been my guess when resorts do the same. Vegas resorts close the pools early as well. They want up out of the water and paying for stuff.

So you use the restaurants? That has always been my guess when resorts do the same. Vegas resorts close the pools early as well. They want up out of the water and paying for stuff.
We are paying for "stuff" when the pools are open at WDW and DCL. We pay for food, very expensive cocktails, snacks etc....

I had a response written & then realized this thread was not about WDW's Beach Club. :lmao: Those thread previews are sneaky.

I don't understand why you would complain about a tall child being barred from a water play area for small children. That's an absolute safety issue. The height limit is posted everywhere online & is surely posted at the resort. It's a shame you didn't look into it so that he didn't end up disappointed.

With the time change we were always up early and in bed early. I figure most others are in the same boat (especially the very early risers who are trying to beat traffic to get to tourist spots) and the resort realizes this and that is why the resort shuts down in the evening.

We just got back and I have to say that it was like a retirement home at Aulani. By 6pm they closed down the lazy river and by 8pm all the pools and jacuzzis closed down. They basically rolled up the resort and went to sleep there every night by 8pm. It was ridiculous. We pay all of that money for a super expensive deluxe resort that brags about being a water activities-based resort but everything closes down. Even the kids club was closed by 8pm, if you were lucky enough to try to check in before they got to full capacity. Not to mention that our son was not allowed to play in the menehune bridge because he was too tall at 10 years old.
The kids club closes at 9, not 8.
And it's really a shame that you went all the way to Hawaii for a family vacation and left with so much to complain about. Three threads in a row of only complaints...hope your family at least enjoyed the memories

The last time we were there, the lifeguards all left by 8pm, but we were still allowed to use the pools on our own (with signs saying use at your own risk). Has this changed?

The last time we were there, the lifeguards all left by 8pm, but we were still allowed to use the pools on our own (with signs saying use at your own risk). Has this changed?

Yes it changed. They completely close the pools

The closure times are seasonal however. In the summer months the main pool stay open till 10:00. I know they close the lazy river earlier and I think it is also the KaMaka Grotto pool (infinty edge one) also closes earlier. They have been pretty strict about the pool closure times when we have stayed there too. The guards are nice to you about it, but totally enforced.

I guess one good thing about me going to Aulani in crazy busy summer......better pool hours and probably more activities.

What did you like about Aulani?

On DCL the ship rolls up pretty early I thought, but I enjoyed walking the ship and feeling like I had the place to myself.
Kerri

We have only been in June and the pools were open until at least 8:00 if not later. I knew ahead of time that my daughter was not allowed in the Menehue play area as she was over 48 inches. She would have liked to run through I am sure but was perfectly happy with water slides, hot tubs, pools, lazy river and the beach.

Is your son 11 or 10? Just curious because in the other thread where you complain about Auntie's Beach house, you mention having a 11 year old?

Is your son 11 or 10? Just curious because in the other thread where you complain about Auntie's Beach house, you mention having a 11 year old?
He was technically 10 while we were at aulani celebrating his 11th birthday but he didn't turn 11 until we left aulani and checked into the Disneyland hotel. We were at aulani for one week.

When we were there in September, the pools closed by 8ish every night as well. Lazy river was earlier. That said, the lack of nighttime activities/entertainment was the same at all the resorts we stayed at in Hawaii. We were there for two weeks and I think the latest we went to bed was 10:30pm, and it wasn't due to the time change! It was definitely different, but for us what worked best was getting up early and going to bed early.

we are used to WDW resorts and the DCL where the pools stay open till late and there is always activities going on past sunset. It felt like we were at some retirement community at Aulani. LOL!

I'm just looking at my weather right now, it's 7pm, sun's down, and it's 73. And it's not humid out today at all, so it's actually a little chilly right now. The pools probably just don't get a lot of use.

I'm just looking at my weather right now, it's 7pm, sun's down, and it's 73. And it's not humid out today at all, so it's actually a little chilly right now. The pools probably just don't get a lot of use.
The pools are packed right up until they kick everyone out to close down. So that's not an issue

we are used to WDW resorts and the DCL where the pools stay open till late and there is always activities going on past sunset. It felt like we were at some retirement community at Aulani. LOL!

I agree it is very different. DCL is probably our favorite vacation and we are always go-go-go and all of us even the kids stay up really late. Hawaii in general is different (time zone changes probably factors into it). As west coasters we have been to Hawaii more times than WDW, and all of the resorts we have stayed at (not just Aulani) have had early pool closing times and were very quiet in the evenings. The resorts on Waikiki are probably different and more active in the evening.

We were there in the summer so the pool hours/lazy river were later than what you experienced. But I was glad they closed "early" because I was so tired after being in the water all day with my kids. It was a good reason to slow down! My kids would have slept in that lazy river if they allowed it! Anyways, we just adjusted and watched movies or walked the resort at night. It is different than some resorts, but I just assumed it was a Hawaiian thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter