• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why do people love moonlight magic SO MUCH?

It sounds like a guest/staff ratio problem from all the comments on the boards. I've never been to a Moonlight Magic, but I have noticed Disney Parks tends to take a great concept, and expand it to as many people as they can, and don't understand why scaling it up for guests without adding staff/attractions doesn't create a great experience.

We went to the Halloween parties at DLR for a few years, those parties had rides that were walk on, and I have pictures of my family lying down on Main Street with a 10 foot radius of space around us during the fireworks because we were tired after riding every ride and eating all the special snacks because we could cover the park in those few hours of the party. They were a blast, well worth every dime. The last year we went ('18 I think), the party that we had paid more for each year was so crowded that the lines weren't worth standing in, there was no elbow room during the fireworks, it was just a mediocre experience, so we decided not to go again. The Halloween parties still sold out quickly in '19, so there's a market for it apparently in spite of the fact that I saw a lot of complaints similar to our experience in '18, they had just sold too many tickets. It sounds like Moonlight Magic is headed the same way, and DVC Members will still go, because someone will still enjoy it.

As much as I love being able to attend MLM, I would not make a special trip to attend. This has been talked about a lot on these boards over the years. You never know how the weather is going to be. You can get poured on. You never know what rides can break down. There is not all that much in Epcot right now. It’s such a mess. I’m sure they were given a budget to work with. Bummer about no fireworks, but would have been a budget buster. I’m sure lots of the regular cast members and behind the scenes employees may have moved on to other companies or never came back after being furloughed because they may have been making more money not working. Sounds like they just didn’t have enough experienced people or just went with what they had and hoped for the best. And hopefully they will do better going forward.
But getting back to the question: it’s free, if a date falls on my already planned vacation, I’m happy. If I’m able to grab a spot for the family, even better. It’s a fun time. If I’m lucky enough to attend one this year, I will lower my expectations for the event, just as I’ve lowered my expectations with everything Disney related. Im not going to complain about something that’s free. But that’s just me.

But I just don't see why it's a big deal?

I've gotten to go to two Moonlight Magics.

I have gotten to enter Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom without having ot pay for it. I got to be in those parks without the massive crowds like normal.

I got to eat food without paying anything for it. At MK I had non-restaurant-specific goodies from Columbia Harbour House, and at AK I got to try something at the restaurant in Pandora.

I can normally only get into parks at otherwise-closed times by paying through the nose for rundisney, and I don't get to ride rides or eat any included food other than powerade and sportsbeans/honey stingers during those events.

The only long line I encountered was Flight of Passage, and it was the end of the evening and it was totally fine.

I love going to those events.

I just don't see why it's a big deal?
My guess: it's a combination of the fact that it is "free" plus the fact that it is exclusive.

People love "free" things. People on the Resorts board lose their minds over Free Dining, even though the per-night room discount is often a better deal. There were people getting excited over the "free" passholder magnet, and look at all the strum und drang over the "free" backpacks.

To be fair, Moonlight Magic is a bit more substantial; if you are comparing it to the After Hours events (probably a fair comparison most of the time, the most recent iteration excepted) it's probably equivalent to something you'd spend a hundred bucks or more on per person.

The other half of the equation is that it is exclusive. You have to be a member---and not just a member, but a Real Member---to even be eligible to go. That's been a core part of the DVC marketing angle since its inception: You'll be an insider, a special member of a special club and only the most serious/worthy/dedicated fans belong to it.

So I am really confused on why people are losing their minds over it's return? You get technically only a few hours in the park due to lines for everything (albeit you can show up at 6). And then some mickey ice creams, which seemed like the highlight. What am I missing?
My story began 30 years ago ... on reading of Elizabeth Taylor's 60th Birthday celebrated as a private party at Disneyland in 1992. At the time, the idea of having a private party at Disneyland blew my mind. I've never quite gotten over the fact that I've been blessed to enjoy many such parties thanks first to IBM and, more recently, DVC. Soooooo cooooool.

As much as I love being able to attend MLM, I would not make a special trip to attend. This has been talked about a lot on these boards over the years. You never know how the weather is going to be. You can get poured on. You never know what rides can break down. There is not all that much in Epcot right now. It’s such a mess. I’m sure they were given a budget to work with. Bummer about no fireworks, but would have been a budget buster. I’m sure lots of the regular cast members and behind the scenes employees may have moved on to other companies or never came back after being furloughed because they may have been making more money not working. Sounds like they just didn’t have enough experienced people or just went with what they had and hoped for the best. And hopefully they will do better going forward.
But getting back to the question: it’s free, if a date falls on my already planned vacation, I’m happy. If I’m able to grab a spot for the family, even better. It’s a fun time. If I’m lucky enough to attend one this year, I will lower my expectations for the event, just as I’ve lowered my expectations with everything Disney related. Im not going to complain about something that’s free. But that’s just me.

This is how I feel as well. We were lucky to have 2 MM fall during our WDW visits. One for Typhoon Lagoon which was great because we probably wouldn't have gone there on our own anyway and one for MK which saved me the cost of a ticket. Both were awesome but these were pre-covid. We've also been to 4 MM at DL and CA Adventure (we live 20 minutes away). Each time Disney tweaks something to try to improve on the last one so I'm hopeful the next one will be better than the recent Epcot one. It was a free event so if it didn't live up to your expectations then you can choose not to attend future ones.

The good ole days seems to be a recurring theme for most dvcers

the world has changed and so has disney because of covid. Their business model is now different, their customers are different

dvc is even different, who would have seen gfv2 and no microwave five years ago

everything has changed

dvc gave all blue card members a special event. It was free, it was also different

take it for what it was, a free event only blue card members could go to

forget what you knew and treat this as new. Dvc should have given this a new name so old timers don’t compare this to previous years

i promise you will get far more enjoyment from life if you take this advice vs dwelling on the past as I also promise The Disney you knew five years ago isn’t coming back

i promise you will get far more enjoyment from life if you take this advice vs dwelling on the past as I also promise The Disney you knew five years ago isn’t coming back

Well I didn't go, I just read about it then watched some videos of the event. MM came up on the DVC vlog a few weeks or so (didn't know it existed). It seemed (as mentioned) fairly lackluster in regards to the hype. The popcorn buckets being the "big thing" but people spent a large portion of their night standing in line for one.

Obviously I didn't really get it. I can see the take it or leave it aspect, considering there are only handful of the event I prob wouldn't go during that time anyways. As I don't think they have them in the fall.

I was just curious. =)

As a local, Moonlight Magic is a free opportunity for me and my husband to visit the parks and ride the rides.
We get to go with less crowds and have a free dinner and snacks, and prizes (pre-COVID they were giving meal vouchers, not just snacks).

They usually have a DJ playing music and its a fun time at the parks. We have been at least 5 different times over the years, at different parks.

I have seen the reviews/videos from the last EPCOT one, and that seemed more disorganized than usual. I'm hoping some lessons were learned and on Thursday night when I go, it won't be as bad. However, I have seen the free popcorn bucket and I won't be standing in line for that, and will make sure to bring some water bottles with us.

The event sounds neat, but it sounds like it isn't 'yet' up to its former glory. I would definitely go and use it as a free ticket if I was vacaying during that time. Maybe it will get better in the future as the work out the post-covid kinks.

The good ole days seems to be a recurring theme for most dvcers

It didn't start that long ago.

Dvc should have given this a new name so old timers don’t compare this to previous years

Old timers? It started in 2015 with the waterparks. Then it moved to the parks. I've only been to two, but each one was very different in the way it worked. No one can reliably compare any of them to previous years, other than getting into a park after hours.

It seemed (as mentioned) fairly lackluster in regards to the hype.

So you've gone by the "hype". The noun means "extravagant or intensive publicity or promotion " and the verb means "promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its importance or benefits." If people talk about it because they like or love it, that's literally not hype, because liking or loving something isn't an exaggeration. It's how they feel.

You really went by the stated appreciation of MM from past events, then you watched their FIRST event in two years with limited things available (because things are limited all over) and somehow have decided that the enjoyment of the previous events was wrong?

As I don't think they have them in the fall.

Their last one this year is 9/28/22. That's the Fall.

We went to a MLM at DL a few years ago. Worst. Experience. Ever. If that was my first visit to DL, I would never return.

It didn't start that long ago.

Old timers? It started in 2015 with the waterparks. Then it moved to the parks. I've only been to two, but each one was very different in the way it worked. No one can reliably compare any of them to previous years, other than getting into a park after hours.

So you've gone by the "hype". The noun means "extravagant or intensive publicity or promotion " and the verb means "promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its importance or benefits." If people talk about it because they like or love it, that's literally not hype, because liking or loving something isn't an exaggeration. It's how they feel.

You really went by the stated appreciation of MM from past events, then you watched their FIRST event in two years with limited things available (because things are limited all over) and somehow have decided that the enjoyment of the previous events was wrong?

Their last one this year is 9/28/22. That's the Fall.

Wow... snarky response. I suppose I really offended you. And I apologize for being off by 6 days in regards to the start of fall...

I’ve never been to moonlight magic but I have low expectations when I go to Hollywood Studios in June. I’m looking forward to just walking around, seeing the sights, and people watching. If I can get on an attraction or two, great.

Agree. We were at the recent Epcot event. It was less than magic. Not much other than long lines for everything (including attractions -- didn't help that some were down of course). Didn't even use some of our vouchers because it's a three hour event so what's the point in spending a good chunk of your three hours in lines for snacks etc. I have been to other DVC events (like the Merry Member Mingle once at Epcot) that I thought were really great. This one was meh. Too many lines for pretty much everything. Ride lines were ~30 mins at best. Epcot has less to do, so maybe that was why. We stayed about 90 mins max and then left.

I watch the dvc fan vlog, and have heard a lot of commotion over MLM returning in general. I didn't really know what it was. So last night I watched a few videos on it and followed the vloggers around through their evening adventures. But I just don't see why it's a big deal? After hours and some of the holiday events seem much better (I know I loved very merry). But to my surprise MLM looked extremely lackluster, with massive lines, no fireworks, almost pointless voucher books (due to options) and heavy crowds. Not to mention character appearances not on a schedule. So people kind of just randomly came across them.

Back to the bucket, I know how people freak out over them (I own some). But the lines to get them ALL NIGHT were massive. And the bucket itself is a bit "meh" I expected it to be really neat all things considered. Lastly the final show... I heard they use to have fireworks. But now it's almost like an ad for DVC. It pretty much was like "thanks for being a member" then a short period of lights being turned on in the lake.

So I am really confused on why people are losing their minds over it's return? You get technically only a few hours in the park due to lines for everything (albeit you can show up at 6). And then some mickey ice creams, which seemed like the highlight. What am I missing?
I think that any membership extras that make a return are great! When they opened the lounge back up in Epcot-we enjoyed our bag of crackers and Coke zero-and the break/rest.

My husband enjoys the TOTWL and hopes to get back there soon.

We have only been to one MM at Typhoon Lagoon. To me, it was a cluster but I did not know what to expect. LOOOOOONG lines to use food vouchers and up to a 30 minute wait for an icecream. But, the waits for slides was almost nil - so that was a huge plus! I think they did something with small floaties and you could win prizes and some games for kiddos-we enjoyed the slides most of the time.

Are you a DVC owner? You mention you have Popcorn buckets, are they DVC specific? I do like a unique bucket (I actually got a Figment when they went on sale).

My family attended a Magic Kingdom MM event in 2017 that happened to coincide with a planned trip and we were somewhat underwhelmed. It was not a bad experience, but it was not that amazing either. Ride waits were not very short. The free food was fine. The best parts were the special character interactions that are not generally available.

I have nothing to complain about and no regrets about the time spent, but also agree it is not worth hyperventilation. I agree with prior comments that it is probably a result of being free and the exclusivity. I also understand the value for local DVC members who can snag a free night, or other edge cases. But overall I see it as a positive but no reason to get worked up either with anticipation or disappointment if one is excluded.

Everyone love it because it's free and getting something for free from the Mouse is one of the greatest pleasures in life.

I don't only love MM, I love any of the nighttime only events (parties/DAH). My perfect trip would be made up of NO regular park admission ONLY special events at each park - leaving my days free for dining at resorts, relaxing, etc. So, what's not to love? I'm getting a similar event to what I would pay $100-$140 per person for free.

So far have gotten MM at MK, Epcot and DHS (this month) and would do them all again. Don't think we will be making AK work this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter