Why Adventures by Disney? vs other tour companies

Luv2trav

DIS Veteran
Just curious what made you decide on ABD vs other options? I know ABD is more expensive but what did you find the value in the extra cost vs another company? We are new to ABD and hopefully it's something we continue to do if we find the value is worth the added expense.

Just curious what made you decide on ABD vs other options? I know ABD is more expensive but what did you find the value in the extra cost vs another company? We are new to ABD and hopefully it's something we continue to do if we find the value is worth the added expense.

I'm probably not the best person to answer your question because, after 3 ABDs, we are starting to move toward other adventure travel providers. We love the premium experience of ABD, and it's not really the ABD price tag that is driving us away. We have just found that we much prefer a smaller group experience than ABD tends to offer. All that being said, I responded to your post because I wanted to direct your attention to a stickied thread about the question of whether ABD is worth it. Here is the link:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/is-abd-worth-the-discussion-thread.3045636/

We have been on three ABD's already with our 4th booked for this upcoming May. I second what Calfan calls the "premium experience". We love the added touches, the 4-5 star accommodations, two guides, one being USA based. The extra touch I feel is the connection the travelers usually have of being "Disney" fans. Not necessarily theme park roller coaster riders, but the whole Disney experience. After the common denominator of enjoying "travel", most guests also share the love of "Disney". It lends itself to conversation openings and we have found that by the end of the ABD, we have made LIFELONG friends. A few of our past guides are good friends now - fellow travelers from around the country have come to visit, four even attended DD's college graduation party from out of state! One couple calls our CM DD their "Disney Daughter" and make a point of always taking her to dinner when they are in WDW. We've made such a connection with some beautiful people who have brought such joy to our lives.

There is also another thread entitled "other options" to review if you have time to read it through. It draws comparisons between ABD and a number of other travel companies.

For us it comes down to: where we want to go, if ABD goes there and offers an itinerary that fits our schedule and if we LOVE the itinerary.

It's not always easy to have all these factors align.

We have had AMAZING trips with ABD and will cherish the memories we have. But with dd getting older and ds working full-time our schedules are not very flexible. Actually dd informed me that she wants to take a summer math course next June (to work ahead), then go to camp for 7 weeks. In 2018 she again wants to work ahead in math / science and then take a summer course at Oxford. So my days with her on ABDs may end with our Rhine River cruise in June :sad2:.

We have completed 8 ABD trips. Overall, we have enjoyed the experiences, itineraries and the guides. I have read and been on other group tours where the "guide" is more of a driver really and doesn't really do much story telling, sharing history etc. I prefer to be entertained and learn about what I am seeing. I like the security of knowing ABD has already done the leg work to make certain everything is safe and top notch. I like knowing that if any unexpected issue comes up ABD will fix it immediately. With ABD I don't have to do endless research or take chances on whether or not I will have my expectations met. I like that the majority of the people I meet on ABD trips are really awesome people, easy to get along with and that is a great comfort to someone like me who is an introvert.

As a die hard travel hacker, I do much better on the points/miles earning front with ABD than I would compared to any other tour group. From a cost analysis perspective, I like that we can pay our ABD trips with Disney gift cards that we have loaded on to the Disney Savings Account. This allows me to purchase the Disney gift cards at a 5% discount with a credit card that earns 5 airline miles per dollar through a shopping portal that earns 1 extra airline mile per dollar. Loading the gift cards and paying the trip through the Disney Savings accounts gets me another 2% back in Disney gift cards. So on a $10,000 ABD trip, we will wind up saving $700 and earn 57,000 airline miles. Those 57,000 miles will go towards getting me a flight in first class that is worth a few thousand dollars.

We have completed 8 ABD trips. Overall, we have enjoyed the experiences, itineraries and the guides. I have read and been on other group tours where the "guide" is more of a driver really and doesn't really do much story telling, sharing history etc. I prefer to be entertained and learn about what I am seeing. I like the security of knowing ABD has already done the leg work to make certain everything is safe and top notch. I like knowing that if any unexpected issue comes up ABD will fix it immediately. With ABD I don't have to do endless research or take chances on whether or not I will have my expectations met. I like that the majority of the people I meet on ABD trips are really awesome people, easy to get along with and that is a great comfort to someone like me who is an introvert.

As a die hard travel hacker, I do much better on the points/miles earning front with ABD than I would compared to any other tour group. From a cost analysis perspective, I like that we can pay our ABD trips with Disney gift cards that we have loaded on to the Disney Savings Account. This allows me to purchase the Disney gift cards at a 5% discount with a credit card that earns 5 airline miles per dollar through a shopping portal that earns 1 extra airline mile per dollar. Loading the gift cards and paying the trip through the Disney Savings accounts gets me another 2% back in Disney gift cards. So on a $10,000 ABD trip, we will wind up saving $700 and earn 57,000 airline miles. Those 57,000 miles will go towards getting me a flight in first class that is worth a few thousand dollars.

Thank you for your response. I really love the idea of someone handling all the details. That is usually me in my family. It feels weird not having anything to plan other than airfare. Lol.

I too have used Disney gift cards with our Disney credit card. I feel I would get more bang for my buck using an airline credit card. I might look into that.

Thank you for your response. I really love the idea of someone handling all the details. That is usually me in my family. It feels weird not having anything to plan other than airfare. Lol.

I too have used Disney gift cards with our Disney credit card. I feel I would get more bang for my buck using an airline credit card. I might look into that.

You are welcome! I am the planner in the family too. There is a very active thread here on the Disboards in the Budget board forum where a lot of us travel hackers discuss our points and miles strategies and help out newcomers. The thread is called "I love credit cards so much."

I am going to sound like a complete idiot. But I find that any tour goes to big nondescript hotels that I simply do not like. I just find that ABD and even most of the virtusio hotels that come on group tours are big convention properties. I also like deciding where to go . But did find that Wildchina has some good trips for well china

I am going to sound like a complete idiot. But I find that any tour goes to big nondescript hotels that I simply do not like. I just find that ABD and even most of the virtusio hotels that come on group tours are big convention properties. I also like deciding where to go . But did find that Wildchina has some good trips for well china

That is one of the reasons I like ABD. The accommodations are usually pretty cool and often unique places. I would not consider Dromoland Castle in Ireland, the Balmoral in Scotland, the Landmark in London, Schloss Waldeck Castle in Germany or Gran Melia in Rome, just to name a few, to be big nondescript hotels. On the contrary, they are very elegant or unique.

Granted, if you like deciding where to go and doing all of the planning for your accommodations, getting from place to place, dealing with unexpected and unpleasant surprises and what not on your own, then ABD group travel will not fit the bill. But I wouldn't describe all of the accommodations on all of the itineraries as big nondescript convention style hotels and a reason not to choose their product. I'd say that about Globus but not ABD.

That is one of the reasons I like ABD. The accommodations are usually pretty cool and often unique places. I would not consider Dromoland Castle in Ireland, the Balmoral in Scotland, the Landmark in London, Schloss Waldeck Castle in Germany or Gran Melia in Rome, just to name a few, to be big nondescript hotels. On the contrary, they are very elegant or unique.

Granted, if you like deciding where to go and doing all of the planning for your accommodations, getting from place to place, dealing with unexpected and unpleasant surprises and what not on your own, then ABD group travel will not fit the bill. But I wouldn't describe all of the accommodations on all of the itineraries as big nondescript convention style hotels and a reason not to choose their product. I'd say that about Globus but not ABD.
No I would not either but some are

No I would not either but some are

Some yes, but not all. There are some places that they go to where there really is no other choice. But there are some itineraries where the accommodation is a unique part of the entire vacation experience.

This is the very reason we are trying ABD. While we are only traveling to AZ/UT for our first experience I am still very unfamiliar with this area. I am a bit of a travel snob. I like nice hotels. By nice I don't mean luxury. I mean very clean and family friendly. I trust Disney has done their research and know what works for their customers. If we feel the value is there after this trip we will considering ABD for future European vacations. That kind of travel we are extremely inexperienced and knowing they take care of everything gives me piece of mind.

I have loved every single ABD hotel, except the Westin Dublin. It was super generic. But an ideal location. And the Hilton Molino in Venice. Just not a good location or environment. None of the other hotels have felt convention like.

The Greece ABD stayed in some amazing hotels. The first one, in Athens, was a very nice, but rather generic hotel, but all the rest were wonderful. The hotel on Santorini was very quirky and cool and completely blended in with the homes around it. You actually couldn't tell the resort apart from the surrounding buildings except when you were standing right in front of the entrance. The rooms were spacious and comfortable, but with several different configurations. Loved it. And the hotel on Crete was one of the most gorgeous places I've *ever* stayed. The views from the balcony were wonderful, with views of the Aegean Sea.

Scotland also had some wonderful hotels. As @calypso726 said, the trip started at the Balmoral, which is an elegant, historic Landmark hotel. And the Cuillin Hills Hotel on the Isle of Skye is a homey, beautiful hotel with magnificent views of the Bay right in front of the hotel, with mountains framing it behind. Nothing non-descript about that. Even the hotel in Inverness is a small, intimate hotel, away from the downtown area.

I would say that 95% of the time, ABD stays at *MUCH* nicer hotels than I would ever book for myself. I tend to bargain hunt when it comes to hotels, and taking ABDs "forces me" to stay in much nicer places. That's one of the things I like about taking ABDs.

This is the very reason we are trying ABD. While we are only traveling to AZ/UT for our first experience I am still very unfamiliar with this area. I am a bit of a travel snob. I like nice hotels. By nice I don't mean luxury. I mean very clean and family friendly. I trust Disney has done their research and know what works for their customers. If we feel the value is there after this trip we will considering ABD for future European vacations. That kind of travel we are extremely inexperienced and knowing they take care of everything gives me piece of mind.
I haven't stayed at the first 2 hotels on the AZ/UT trip (they've changed since I took it) but the Red Cliffs Lodge in Moab is *FABULOUS*. It has gorgeous views of the Colorado River, and the Red Cliffs beyond. And the rooms are very, very nice. You will definitely like the Red Cliffs Lodge!

Sayhello

Last edited:
The Enchantment Resort in Sedona was indeed enchanting; I hope to stay there again someday. And the Thunderbird, while not luxurious, had an amazing location at the rim of the Grand Canyon.

Sure the Peru trip starts and ends at a Marriott but the other nights are either in a cute private casita at Sol y Luna or in a historic Palacio del Inka, nunnery converted to palace converted to hotel. There was so much history at the Palacio del Inka it was almost a destination unto itself.

Of course our next trip is NYC and we are stay at a vanilla (but very delicious vanilla) hotel.

The only ABD hotel I didn't think was that great was the Crowne Point in Heidelberg - but the location was great. Didn't love the "Paris Hilton", but that was me. I would have preferred to stay right on the Champs de Elysee. But, the Landmark in London, Fox Hills in Surrey, the hotels in Germany, Prague, and Vienna, were all wonderful. From the quaint to the extravagant. Loved them all!

The only ABD hotel I didn't think was that great was the Crowne Point in Heidelberg - but the location was great. Didn't love the "Paris Hilton", but that was me. I would have preferred to stay right on the Champs de Elysee. But, the Landmark in London, Fox Hills in Surrey, the hotels in Germany, Prague, and Vienna, were all wonderful. From the quaint to the extravagant. Loved them all!

I just been to many Four Seasons. And the Four Seasons Park Lane is one of the best hotels in the city

Last edited:
I just been to many Four Seasons. And the Four Seasons Park Lane is one of the best hotels in the city
But you aren't paying for the best hotel in the city. "Just" one of the top hotels.

ABD probably isn't for you if you require staying at the Four Seasons.

Sayhello

Jumping on the comments about hotels...I agree with the above about Peru. The Sol y Luna was wonderful (our family had an adorable two-level villa) and the Palacio del Inka was quirky but a good choice. For our Ecuador and Galapagos, the hacienda on the mainland was amazing and unique, someplace I never would have thought to pick on my own. Our room had it's own wood-burning stove, and we had a semi-private terrace with a fountain. In Scotland I really enjoyed the Balmoral (and the kids loved their bears with matching robes), and the hotel in the Isle of Skye had a really wonderful view. I thought the convention-style hotel in Inverness was a good pick as well because the family room gave my kids a separate space with bunk beds. In both South America trips we took there were a few generic but upscale hotels but they were usually in the capital cities (Lima, Quito) before you depart for the other parts of the country.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter