Why a Gay Board

Gator Kate said:
Hello,
Sorry for the trivial question...What does GLTB stand for? I'm pretty sure I know the GL part(obvious given the board's title).Just couldn't get the TB? Thanks.
transexual and bisexual :)

xcountryusa said:
Why do we need a site just for gays?

If we are going to have boards based on sexual preferences I want one for guys who like big chested blonde women.

Why do gays need to be treated different?

Because trolls like you exists. And while we don't want to "point them out", I don't think we should welcome them either. I think its obvious where this is going.

ECurto said:
Because trolls like you exists. And while we don't want to "point them out", I don't think we should welcome them either. I think its obvious where this is going.

Only if you help usher it along. If someone asks a question out of ignorance, don't ridicule them, educate them in a gentle manner. Their life experience is not yours and yours is not theirs, but that moment is a chance to create some understanding.

GurGie said:
Only if you help usher it along. If someone asks a question out of ignorance, don't ridicule them, educate them in a gentle manner. Their life experience is not yours and yours is not theirs, but that moment is a chance to create some understanding.

WOW... so well said ... Thanks. :thumbsup2

ECurto said:

Please don't assume that someone with a low post count is a troll. Sometimes a new member is inspired to post when they see something that catches their eye and particular intrigues them, thus making them want to make a statement or ask a question.

The OP's question may seem like pot stirring to some due to the rather aggressive wording, but it could also be an honest question. It should be treated as as such until proven otherwise.

xcountryusa said:
If being gay is not about sexual preferences then what is it about?

You can not be treated the same when you look to be treated different. I don't see a board on here for redheads or one for fat men or one for wifes cheating on husbands at Disney.

I'm sure the mods would consider a request to add a forum for those who share these interests with you.

RickinNYC said:
The OP's question may seem like pot stirring to some due to the rather aggressive wording, but it could also be an honest question. It should be treated as as such until proven otherwise.

You may be right, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that DISboards caters to a lot of "special interests". Teens, Brits, Families, Singles, College students, Canucks, newlyweds, cruisers, timeshare owners, gardeners, photography buffs, scrapbookers, collectors and cooks all have their own venue to discuss things Disney. So, to paraphrase the question asked by this poster -- Why a question about a gay board?

xcountryusa said:

If we are going to have boards based on sexual preferences I want one for guys who like big chested blonde women.

We need to be treated differently then we currently are treated, which is not being treated the same as heterosexuals.

You should be commended for how you are handling this trolls questions, and yes I believe its a troll, people with honest questions are hardly this rude. I dont have it in me , I have learned a valuable lesson from you all today!

xcountryusa said:

Why do we have Heterosexual Marriage? Why not just marriage? Why do gays need to be treated different?

xcountryusa said:

I don't think this site is just for gays--I'm straight and I enjoy reading the threads here--seems to be a pretty inclusive bunch. :sunny:

Noah-

You have done a wonderful job answering the questions. I vote for you as our spokesperson on these issues. I don't believe any of us are going to escalate this into anything other than education. Your son looks wonderful.

Not that it matters...but I'm straight.

I think the question really should be why would any human being post on a thread that he/she is obviously so uncomfortable with? Why would anybody want to start conflict?

Side note: To whoever started this thread... kudos. Thank you for helping out gay/lesbians feel more comfortable. Also, thank you for helping make those who just can't understand, not have to subject themselves to gay/lesbian questions if they so choose.

Remember Disney is the happiest place on earth. As my gay friend says "We all enjoy being in a gay place"! ;)

I'm one of those str8 yet colorfully open-minded people... you mentioned... one of my best friends in the world is a gay man and I see the prejudice he and his partner have to deal with daily. There IS a need for this board.... just like when I visited disney last year I had to find a board (on another site) for plus sized people visiting disney. I had some ligitimate fears about my size alone (I've lost almost 50 lbs since! 30 more to go! yay!)... I know my best friend would have many also. This board also forms friendships, bonds, shares stories, tips, experiences... most are assumed straight... it's nice to go somewhere on the net and not have to ask or fear talking about your partner in case there's somebody just waiting with a personal attack....

True North I have to say your photo is ADORABLE! Cute son and daddy:)

As I said on my earlier post(but deleted most of it because I felt I was rambling too much), Gays(nor anyone else who is "different" than society thinks we all should be) don't look to be treated differently...they look to be treated EQUALLY. If society as a whole weren't so close-minded then their sexual orientation wouldn't be an issue and this board might not be needed.

mickeymousemom said:
As I said on my earlier post(but deleted most of it because I felt I was rambling too much), Gays(nor anyone else who is "different" than society thinks we all should be) don't look to be treated differently...they look to be treated EQUALLY. If society as a whole weren't so close-minded then their sexual orientation wouldn't be an issue and this board might not be needed.

I agree with the equal treatment, however, there will still be as much of a need for this board as there is for Solo Travelers, Single Parents, Families, etc. Just to have a place to post with people that have the same interests. I wouldn't go to the families boards as I travel solo for the most part, and unless I become a grandparent, I don't think I will be doing the kid thing myself. But I am glad that board is there, just in case. And being a CSP, I do want to keep up with my gay and lesbian board acquaintances, who knows, one of these trips I may get a chance to meet in person.

Maybe the OP was stirring the pot, maybe not. But certainly no one reacted badly. Says a lot for the class of people here.

Been following the thread since it started, and a big thank you to everyone for keeping it positive.

The only thing I have to say is......

The OP asked "Why a Gay thread"

And I ask, "Why not?"

If your not interested, don't read... :confused3

mickeyfan1 said:
I agree with the equal treatment, however, there will still be as much of a need for this board as there is for Solo Travelers, Single Parents, Families, etc. Just to have a place to post with people that have the same interests. I wouldn't go to the families boards as I travel solo for the most part, and unless I become a grandparent, I don't think I will be doing the kid thing myself. But I am glad that board is there, just in case. And being a CSP, I do want to keep up with my gay and lesbian board acquaintances, who knows, one of these trips I may get a chance to meet in person.

Maybe the OP was stirring the pot, maybe not. But certainly no one reacted badly. Says a lot for the class of people here.

Yes..I guess you have a good point. I guess I was thinking about the fact that Gays and lesbians are only different than straight people because of who they choose as partners. In my mind if society were more accepting then there would be equality and all issues would be the same for both gays and straights and we could all intermingle and discuss the same issues, whether it be marriage, adoption, jobs, vacation, etc. Maybe I'm wrong here.

I do tend to believe the OP was :stir: but it shows exceptional class that he wasn't treated as such. I have my doubts about someone with such a low post count, but I also agree it should be handled the way its been handled. This board is full of classy people and though I don;t post much here, I like to visit. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter