Who'll stand with me...outside the DVC 'member' lounge?

Wow, they're sending out addendums? But they just issued that statement. This is bizarre.
The only reason DVD would be sending out an addendum is if there was something materially incorrect on the contract that they received for review that disagrees with the actual information for the property in question. I've seen a number of cases on the boards here where that happens because the points available on the sales contract disagrees with what DVC has in the system. I can also imagine that if DVD requires a specific clause on the sales contract that is either missing or incorrect that would also kick it back.

I'd like to quote myself about a dozen times saying that it would happen. It's typical corporate BS. Be a total jerk, then give back a tiny peanut and suddenly everyone loves you. Nevertheless, it's great news that it's official now and people won't feel slighted any longer.

I'd like to quote myself about a dozen times saying that it would happen. It's typical corporate BS. Be a total jerk, then give back a tiny peanut and suddenly everyone loves you. Nevertheless, it's great news that it's official now and people won't feel slighted any longer.

I actually don't think so in this case. It would have made more sense to say no one is who closes after 4/4 gets benefits, then when people started complaining, say "well... since I'm a nice mouse, anyone who got your contracts in before 4/4 can get the perks."

It does not make sense to say that you don't get it, oh wait you get it, then you don't get it, then you get it again. That just pisses everyone off. I suspect what happened was that they weren't planning on giving up the perks, but someone screwed up and gave the wrong information. Then they corrected that information, then outrage, then they gave in because Disney realized that it's not worth fighting over giving a 10% off coupon to 100 people.

I htink it was really just poor preparation more than anything. Those questions should have been clearly answered at the exact moment the announcement came out. I doubt the intention was really to screw over people who were pending like that, but it sure took them long enough to clarify it. Two days is an eternity in the internet era...

Me three! This was not a spur of the moment decision. I was a huge believer in the Disney Product.
Now, even if I am out a couple of grand ...which would have been spent at Disney anyway.... I will now look at maybe traveling and vacationing elsewhere. I have been going to WDW since it opened and have seen many changes. Some changes have been great but one thing I have noticed during the past few trips is that their customer service is declining.
Never wanted to commit to a timeshare....but I thought DVC was not just a timeshare.....I was wrong it was a false illusion.

You did. I remember. Now, and should I call you Miss Cleo, do you have the 6 numbers for the next lotto drawing? :goodvibes

I'm not convinced yet that the dust has settled, but either way I want to thank the disboards for providing a forum for those caught in the ROFR debacle to voice our opinions and organize a consensus on the matter. THANK YOU, either way!

I agree. I couldn't very well vent to my DH who is neutral in the matter so I was glad to have this outlet for the emotional roller coaster I was on. If I get the card, great. If not, I have learned a lot from this experience.

Also, I believe they funnel all of their foreclosures through one of the main brokers. Disney does not take those properties back themselves.

Disney Vacation Development does indeed take back all deeds that are foreclosed via either the judicial method or the Trustee method. They are no real estate brokers involved in the foreclosure process.

Disney has just provided more business certainty on the costs of membership perks going forward, no more no less.

They know the existing pool of members in the "club", the number of new direct members per month and the number leaving per month through resales. My guess is resales right now are outpacing new sales or so severely out of balance so they needed to make a change to turn the table.

Over time the cost of the perks will go down as the number of eligible owners goes down and actually impact their bottom line.

I agree. I couldn't very well vent to my DH who is neutral in the matter so I was glad to have this outlet for the emotional roller coaster I was on. If I get the card, great. If not, I have learned a lot from this experience.
My DHs response was to my screen shot of the announcement was "so we're getting what we thought we would? ". Hard to explain but it was a total 'this is good? Right?' response. He doesn't get the days of torture I've went through! Ha ha.

I actually don't think so in this case. It would have made more sense to say no one is who closes after 4/4 gets benefits, then when people started complaining, say "well... since I'm a nice mouse, anyone who got your contracts in before 4/4 can get the perks."

It does not make sense to say that you don't get it, oh wait you get it, then you don't get it, then you get it again. That just pisses everyone off. I suspect what happened was that they weren't planning on giving up the perks, but someone screwed up and gave the wrong information. Then they corrected that information, then outrage, then they gave in because Disney realized that it's not worth fighting over giving a 10% off coupon to 100 people.
It just seems like it wouldn't be that hard to have the plan locked and loaded before go live? For a company as huge as Disney you would think they would try a little harder to avoid these massive PR faux pas.

It just seems like it wouldn't be that hard to have the plan locked and loaded before go live? For a company as huge as Disney you would think they would try a little harder to avoid these massive PR faux pas.
Yeah...you would think, right? But they often don't.

This is all too familiar to those who have observed the Mouse up close and personal for years. "It's deja vu all over again," as Yogi used to say.

Wait, what? When did you pass ROFR?
It hasn't passed to my knowledge. I refused to sign the addendum.
Supposedly that is a moot pt now.
The broker just called me and said that the DVC member lines were flooded today by members calling that they had to shut the phone lines down.
They had no idea that they would get so much pressure from existing members and the advocates at Elliot.
My thanks to you all.
Let's see if I pass ROFR... Then I will be sitting in the members lounge with you all. If not, c'est la vie.

It hasn't passed to my knowledge. I refused to sign the addendum.
Supposedly that is a moot pt now.
The broker just called me and said that the DVC member lines were flooded today by members calling that they had to shut the phone lines down.
They had no idea that they would get so much pressure from existing members and the advocates at Elliot.
My thanks to you all.
Let's see if I pass ROFR... Then I will be sitting in the members lounge with you all. If not, c'est la vie.

I'm totally clueless. What's Elliot?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter