• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

(Boston update in latest post) Who will get a Soccer Specific Stadium (SSS) first, Boston or NYC (confirmed)?

Who will get a Soccer Specific Stadium (SSS) first, Boston or NYC?

• Boston

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • NYC

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Neither

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Both around the same time

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I don't know

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I don't care

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I just want to know if my taxes will go up due to either project

• It does not effect me either way

• Total voters

Buzz Rules

To Infinity and Beyond
Who will get a Soccer Specific Stadium (SSS) first, Boston or NYC? When will either or both get a stadium? NYCFC has been trying to build a stadium right next to Yankee Stadium for years, while the N.E. Revolution have been trying to build a stadium in downtown Boston. The N.E. Revolution are owned by the N.E. Patriot owners and NYCFC are owned by the N.Y. Yankees/Manchester City. Post what year you think either stadium project will be done.

I think both will be built by 2035.
🤣
⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽

Meanwhile, Columbus already had one and threatened to leave unless they got a new one 🙄.

The current stadium, built in 1999, was the first soccer-specific stadium in the US: https://www.mapfrestadium.com/
New stadium, scheduled to be completed in 2021: https://www.crewstadium.com/renderings.php#renderings

I was so happy for Columbus to get a new owner. They are a great organization and hope they beat Austin repeatedly for how their former owner treated them and their fans. I take it your a "Crew" fan?
⚽ ⚽ ⚽ ⚽ ⚽

I was so happy for Columbus to get a new owner. They are a great organization and hope they beat Austin repeatedly for how their former owner treated them and their fans. I take it your a "Crew" fan?
⚽ ⚽ ⚽ ⚽ ⚽

Well... yes and no. I wish them well, but I don't really "follow" them closely anymore.

Back when they first started they played in Ohio Stadium at Ohio State, tickets were cheap, and we went to ALL the games. When they moved to the new stadium, we went to the inaugural game, had a great time, but had a TERRIBLE experience while leaving. (Traffic was routed through a neighborhood and the residents were NOT happy. They were screaming, throwing things, rocking cars that were stuck in a traffic jam, etc. I was terrified. We've never been back to the stadium. I have friends who go and say they've never experienced anything like that, so I'm not sure if they changed the traffic pattern or if the residents just got used to it.) Also, kids came along and our ability to drop everything and spend the evening at a game grew limited. I'd watch them on TV if I saw the game on, but I don't know the players like I did back then, etc.

My cousin bought season tickets to the Crew for this year and asked if I'd go with her to some of the games -- and I was really looking forward to that, but... alas COVID-19. She's hoping to get tickets next year in the new stadium as well, so hopefully I'll get another invitation.

NYCFC has tried a number of locations but NYC is impossible.

The closest NYC came was back in 2008 with the Wilpon Family but after they got hit hard by the Madoff Scandel they backed away from that project. They were in discussions with local authorities to put one next to Citi Field.

The Cosmos had a plan with Belmont but the State was never going to allow it and quickly screwed that plan to save the Islanders.

I can see Boston getting one because the Revs are an original team and NEED to be closer to the city.

NYCFC will wind up caving and going north of the Bronx

NYCFC has tried a number of locations but NYC is impossible.

The closest NYC came was back in 2008 with the Wilpon Family but after they got hit hard by the Madoff Scandel they backed away from that project. They were in discussions with local authorities to put one next to Citi Field.

The Cosmos had a plan with Belmont but the State was never going to allow it and quickly screwed that plan to save the Islanders.

I can see Boston getting one because the Revs are an original team and NEED to be closer to the city.

NYCFC will wind up caving and going north of the Bronx

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mo...to-submit-stadium-plans-in-winter/ar-BB19AwVJ
https://theoutfield.org/2020/09/30/is-nycfcs-stadium-ready-to-ramp-up/

I'd love for the Union to leave Chester and move up the road to Philadelphia proper. It's not gonna happen but I've always felt that there was missed opportunities In the city along the river.

I'd love for the Union to leave Chester and move up the road to Philadelphia proper. It's not gonna happen but I've always felt that there was missed opportunities In the city along the river.

I think MLS will put pressure on Philly to do so in the future. If Chicago can do it, I think Philly will do so too. Maybe after the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

Well... yes and no. I wish them well, but I don't really "follow" them closely anymore.

Back when they first started they played in Ohio Stadium at Ohio State, tickets were cheap, and we went to ALL the games. When they moved to the new stadium, we went to the inaugural game, had a great time, but had a TERRIBLE experience while leaving. (Traffic was routed through a neighborhood and the residents were NOT happy. They were screaming, throwing things, rocking cars that were stuck in a traffic jam, etc. I was terrified. We've never been back to the stadium. I have friends who go and say they've never experienced anything like that, so I'm not sure if they changed the traffic pattern or if the residents just got used to it.) Also, kids came along and our ability to drop everything and spend the evening at a game grew limited. I'd watch them on TV if I saw the game on, but I don't know the players like I did back then, etc.

My cousin bought season tickets to the Crew for this year and asked if I'd go with her to some of the games -- and I was really looking forward to that, but... alas COVID-19. She's hoping to get tickets next year in the new stadium as well, so hopefully I'll get another invitation.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020...ew-renderings-3-d-seat-views-downtown-stadium
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020...g-scenarios-where-2020-final-could-take-place
⚽ ⚽ ⚽ ⚽ ⚽

NY has one, in NJ.

NY is RED

NYC has a huge problem as there are limited sites available to build a stadium. They tried either by Belmont raceway or Hudson Yards and neither panned out for a number of reasons. If they're going to build a stadium, it will have to be outside the city limits, either Westchester or Long Island and then you run into transportation issues that the Metrostars suffered with for years.

NYCFC has a location in mind, though they are still pretty far from breaking ground. Besides still needing to acquire all the necessary approvals, the land currently is owned by at least 3 different parties: an elevator manufacturer, a parking garage, and one (or more) government entities.

Here is a new article on the many issues surrounding the parking garage including the effect on the possible stadium.
https://www.thecity.nyc/2020/12/7/22159981/yankee-stadium-parking-lot-woes-block-soccer-field-goal
I think the bottom line on the titular question is that NYCFC is currently ahead of the Revolution in progressing towards getting a stadium built, but it would not be hard for the Revs to jump ahead.

NYCFC has a location in mind, though they are still pretty far from breaking ground. Besides still needing to acquire all the necessary approvals, the land currently is owned by at least 3 different parties: an elevator manufacturer, a parking garage, and one (or more) government entities.

Here is a new article on the many issues surrounding the parking garage including the effect on the possible stadium.
https://www.thecity.nyc/2020/12/7/22159981/yankee-stadium-parking-lot-woes-block-soccer-field-goal
I think the bottom line on the titular question is that NYCFC is currently ahead of the Revolution in progressing towards getting a stadium built, but it would not be hard for the Revs to jump ahead.

What kind of design would you like to see for NYCFC's stadium? Classic square or modern oval? ⚽

What kind of design would you like to see for NYCFC's stadium? Classic square or modern oval? ⚽
Honestly I think any NYCFC fan (or Revs fan probably) will just be happy to get our own stadium in a decent location. I'm active on an NYCFC forum and our stadium thread is 949 pages long. There's been a lot of discussion about sites, and designs, and concepts but now we're all just tired and want a stadium, somewhere in the city, of any shape. As the article I posted above notes, there has been no progress at all this year, and though it has understandably been a challenging year, the article reports that things stopped not because the government and local community groups refused to move forward but the club and its developer partners just stopped communicating. Also the Yankees (minority ownership interest in NYCFC) seem to have a silly feud with the garage owners that also is an obstacle. Nobody expects anything soon, despite about 18 months of apparent progress in 2018-19.
One of the "benefits" of buying season tickets as a Founding Member back in 2015 was that you would get your name on a wall in the eventual stadium as long as you maintained the tickets through stadium opening. The joke now is that the wall will have about 5-6 names on it.
All that said, I prefer a classic square, but whatever fits in a space the team can acquire and develop will be fine. I expect to be retired and living elsewhere when it comes. And that's not a joke; I'm old enough and based on my goals and progress that's likely to be true. If they announce a deal next year, which right now is highly optimistic, I would not expect it to open until at least 2024, and possibly 2025.

Last edited:
Are you a N.E. Revolution fan? If not, would you go to a game if it was in Boston? ⚽

Not a Revs fan. As a NY sports fan, it's ingrained in me to hate Boston sports. But I love the city of Boston and I've been to many games at the old Gillete stadium, for both Metrostars versus Rev and US Nats. Gillete holds a place near and dear to my heart because it ws in the Fort that Sams Army (the first US supporters group) had their coming out party back at the US Cup in 1995.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter