Who Knew We Were Virginians?

The hotel looks amazing. I would not have been able to resist this hot tub. I would have been in there every evening and nothing and nobody would have managed to come between me and it.

Corinna

The hotel looks amazing. I would not have been able to resist this hot tub. I would have been in there every evening and nothing and nobody would have managed to come between me and it.

Corinna

LOL. Claire and I had planned to, but we just never had time. :scared:

Following along as I also live in Virginia Beach and my 2 DSs and I have AP to Bucsh garden, Water country and season passes to ocean Breeze in Va Beach. We also visit Great Wolf Lodge Ounce a year. I love the Bathroom also

Nice update… Nice digs too.
Any trip away from home is greatly enhanced by having a decent palace to kick back and relax in-between the adventures. It’s also good that your SIL could help with the auto-rental part of the logistics. Any savings upfront makes room for more potential experiences on the other end of the trip.

Following along as I also live in Virginia Beach and my 2 DSs and I have AP to Bucsh garden, Water country and season passes to ocean Breeze in Va Beach. We also visit Great Wolf Lodge Ounce a year. I love the Bathroom also

Thanks for joining in.

Nice update… Nice digs too.
Any trip away from home is greatly enhanced by having a decent palace to kick back and relax in-between the adventures. It’s also good that your SIL could help with the auto-rental part of the logistics. Any savings upfront makes room for more potential experiences on the other end of the trip.

It was a very nice and spacious room.

Continuing the tour of our room….
The entryway.

The kitchen

Our balcony.

The view.

I then headed outside while they got situated and took a few pictures.

Looking at our room.

I don’t know what kind of tree this is, but they were all over.

Amanda was starving at this point. She has a nervous stomach so she refused to eat all day for fear of feeling sick on the plane. She did eat the snack they passed out, but that was long gone.

So we jumped in the car and headed out in search of food. We turned right out of Fords Colony and just down the road we saw a plaza. It had a few food options, but we continued on to see if we found anything else. This whole area was very heavily wooded, but we soon saw signs of life. An outlet Mall! They had a few options in there but nothing that was calling to us so made a right turn at the light and this is where the main drag was. We had several options and we sounded dumb shouting out names as we drove along. I swear they had like 5 pancake houses on this road. They had some neat shops too but we never did make time to actually come and look through any of them. We decided on Olive Garden. It was something we all could agree on and Dad hates it so since he wasn’t with us yet we could eat here without complaints.
We really didn’t think about it, but it was Sat. night and all the places looked packed. Olive Garden was no exception, so we put our names in and sat on a bench outside. I gave Skip a call and told him we had made it.

We were next to what looked to be a Yankee Candle headquarters and I walked over and took a couple of quick shots.

It was cooling down fast, so we decided to wait inside where it was slightly warmer.

I think we had about a 30 minute wait and then we were called to our seat.

We made our orders and ordered way too much food once again. But it was darn good.

We settled up the bill and headed out. Amanda was now feeling sick again. We had planned to stop at the grocery store we saw to pick up a few items, but then we decided maybe we should skip it. As we got closer to the store, Amanda was feeling a bit better so we went in. Well the few items turned into quite a few. We got soft drinks and juice boxes, cereal, bread, peanut butter, jelly, English muffins, juice, milk, etc. It was nice to have some breakfast foods around the place though.

We headed back to the hotel. Claire had one thing on her mind. SWIMMING! It’s a highlight for her on any vacation. We had talked to Dad a few times and at first he was making excellent time, but then he thought he took a wrong turn and went back to a gas station and found out he didn’t. He had backtracked about 25 miles. He was now sounding tired and he still had quite a ways to go. We told him to check in periodically.

I took Claire for a swim. They have an indoor and outdoor pool and she choose the indoor pool since there were some adults outside having a little party and were kind of loud. Plus it was pretty chilly out. The inside pool however was too warm. I swear it was hard to breath sitting at the table watching her. She had a good time though.

I gave her the 5 minute warning, which usually means she swims for about 10 minutes more and then we walked back to our room and got her ready for bed. I talked to Dad again and from what he said, I figured he was about 1 ½ hours away. We knew it would be VERY dark when he got near and we told him to call so I could go out and find him and lead him into Fords Colony. It was about 11 now and I laid down with Claire so she would go to bed. She was not sleepy, but I sure was. Mom said she came into our room at midnight and I was sound asleep but Claire was watching TV. My Mom told her to get to sleep and she said she couldn’t because I was keeping her awake. That’s awfully funny. I don’t know how my sleeping was keeping her from doing the same. She did go out shortly after though.
At 12:30 my Mom came in and woke me and told me Dad was close and on the phone. I got on, but I warned him right away that I was slightly out of it because I had been sleeping. He said he was close but not sure where so I grabbed my keys and told him I was getting in the car to find him. Next thing I know, Amanda appears out of nowhere and says she is coming along with me. That was actually a big help. Dad was driving his truck and he also uses it for snowplowing so he said he was turning his yellow flashing light on so we could see him.

We set off and drove all the way out of Fords Colony and no sign of Dad. I had Amanda call him and I told her to have him see if he could find an address near where he was parked. That way we could put it in the gps. Dad wasn’t listening and he just kept telling Amanda he was sitting at the gate and needed to be let in. She kept telling him it was wrong as we had no gate. We turned around and headed back towards the hotel again. Amanda was practically screaming that we didn’t have a gate and he needed to find an address, but he wasn’t listening ….and then I saw it. The yellow glow. I yelled out “I found him”! He had come in some different way and was inside the gated community. We pulled up next to the gate and he tells me to flash my room key. I told him this was not part of the hotel and how the heck did he get in there. He came in a back way and he said he just followed a car in. I jumped up and down in front of the gate sensor, but it just wasn’t opening. I was about to tell him to just park alongside the road for now and he could jump in our car when he pulled forward a bit to ask me something and the gate popped open. Go! Quick! Before it shuts!
That gave us all a big laugh. Only my dad could find his way into the gated community.
We then headed into the parking lot and parked. Dad took out his suitcase and checked his mileage (amazingly he got really good gas mileage with that hog of a truck) and headed to our room.
Dad was tired and hungry. He didn’t eat much all day for fear he would need to stop and use the restroom and then he would lose more time. He had packed a few snacks and that was it. Mom made him a PBJ and he sat and ate and talked to us about his adventure. We laughed because he packed his clothes in the biggest suitcase they have and he didn’t pack that many things. He did bring his crocs, which was impressive. He had plenty of underwear and socks. He bragged how he packed a short sleeve sweater. Mom said he doesn’t own a short sleeve sweater. We had a good laugh the next morning when we found out it was a sweater vest that he had packed. He actually did pretty well, but Mom planned to hit a store in the next day or 2 and buy him a few more short sleeved shorts (He only brought long sleeved) and an extra pair of pants.
It was late now and we had a full day coming up so I went to sleep. The beds were super comfy, but the pillows were awful. Very squishy and my head would fall straight through and I would have a huge puff of pillow on each side of my cheeks. Everyone complained about the pillows too, so it wasn’t that I got the short end of the straw. All the pillows were cruddy. It felt good to get some rest after a long day.

Goodness, what an adventure. I am glad that you found your dad in the end and that the gate opened for him. I had to laugh at Claire claiming that you kept her awake.

Corinna

What a beautiful hotel!

Jen, I am laughing my behind off at your dad getting locked inside a gated community. That totally sounds like something that would happen to one of us. Thank goodness, he was able to get out.

The hotel looks gorgeous. The room too.
Funny he got into the gated community.

It’s not every resort that offers up a “Designated Smoking Gazebo” as opposed to just an “area”. Being situated right next to the grilling area, one could also question just exactly what kind of “Smoking” it was designated for. :lmao:

As we saw in your earlier post, this is a very nice resort. “You choose wisely”.

I also am not entirely certain just how it got to be your fault that the young lady was still awake so late in the evening. Kids… :rotfl2:
But as it turned out, you did need her help in corralling your wayward pappy. He is most certainly a character. Looking forward to hearing much more. Given the introduction thus far, I foresee some very entertaining yarns are yet to be spun.

Goodness, what an adventure. I am glad that you found your dad in the end and that the gate opened for him. I had to laugh at Claire claiming that you kept her awake.

Corinna

Who knew my quiet sleeping was keeping her up? :rotfl:

What a beautiful hotel!

Jen, I am laughing my behind off at your dad getting locked inside a gated community. That totally sounds like something that would happen to one of us. Thank goodness, he was able to get out.

it was very pretty. I love that style of building.
Only my dad could get himslef locked INSIDE a gate community. :lmao:

Loving the TR so far!

Oh and the trees......They are crepe myrtles. :)

Thanks. I'll have to look them up. Some were pruned down to practically nothing and others were flowering.

The hotel looks gorgeous. The room too.
Funny he got into the gated community.

We still laugh about it now. Only my Dad could accomplish something like that.....ok I could probably as well. :rolleyes1

It’s not every resort that offers up a “Designated Smoking Gazebo” as opposed to just an “area”. Being situated right next to the grilling area, one could also question just exactly what kind of “Smoking” it was designated for. :lmao:

As we saw in your earlier post, this is a very nice resort. “You choose wisely”.

I also am not entirely certain just how it got to be your fault that the young lady was still awake so late in the evening. Kids… :rotfl2:
But as it turned out, you did need her help in corralling your wayward pappy. He is most certainly a character. Looking forward to hearing much more. Given the introduction thus far, I foresee some very entertaining yarns are yet to be spun.

The smoking are was lovely. I was a bit surprised it was right next to the grilling area. Now I am a smoker...I know it's bad....and I would sit in there in the early mornings and journel a bit, or talk to others and it was really a nice spot. Even if I wasn't one, smke obviously doesn't bother me too badly so it wouldn't be a bad spot to sit and hang. Most times I sat alone and read emails on my phone or just chilled with some quiet time. The bad thing...carpenter bees. They were in full force and drove me batty.

Before we left I tried to read reviews of the place. This is Marriotts vacation club, so I thought it would be pretty decent, but you never know. Some people talked about how they didn't like it at all and others raved about it. I think the ones who didn't like it were those not staying on points and most likely got the other side of the resort. It had a totally different look over there and did not look nearly as nice.

OK, I'm finally caught back up on both of your TRs! :cool1: I'll enjoy it while I can. If you get too far ahead of me again, I'll have to come cut your cable service again! :rotfl:

I still don't know what to make of your dad's last minute decision to come along. I don't know if I'd just find it so adorable he didn't want to be apart from your mom on their anniversary.......... or annoyed that he complicated things because he was so indecisive! :lmao: I guess I'll just have to wait and see how things go on the dad front since I don't remember now how you said the rest of it went!

LOL on Claire blaming you for keeping her up! :rotfl2: Next time breathe quieter, will you? :rolleyes1

OK, I'm finally caught back up on both of your TRs! :cool1: I'll enjoy it while I can. If you get too far ahead of me again, I'll have to come cut your cable service again! :rotfl:

I still don't know what to make of your dad's last minute decision to come along. I don't know if I'd just find it so adorable he didn't want to be apart from your mom on their anniversary.......... or annoyed that he complicated things because he was so indecisive! :lmao: I guess I'll just have to wait and see how things go on the dad front since I don't remember now how you said the rest of it went!

LOL on Claire blaming you for keeping her up! :rotfl2: Next time breathe quieter, will you? :rolleyes1

NOOOO!!!!! Claire will be unhappy too. She loves to watch youtube videos of wii gamers. :rotfl:

Yeah, I still haven't decided if it was adorable or irritating too.
At times we had to remind him he was a spur of the moment extra and we already had plans and he needed to just be quiet and comd along. ::yes::

I guess I am a heavy breather ...who knew?

I hate that queasy feeling after eating at a restaurant, I always suspect food poisoning!

LOL on your Dad deciding on coming at the last minute.

It's always nice when the travel part of a vacation goes nicely.

Beautiful room! I feel special when I stay somewhere with a fancy room!:lmao:

You were keeping Claire up! Talking in your sleep?:duck:

OMG! I see you Dad driving around with flashing lights on and you guys behind chasing!:rotfl2:

Caught up again!!:cool1:

I hate that queasy feeling after eating at a restaurant, I always suspect food poisoning!

LOL on your Dad deciding on coming at the last minute.

It's always nice when the travel part of a vacation goes nicely.

Beautiful room! I feel special when I stay somewhere with a fancy room!:lmao:

You were keeping Claire up! Talking in your sleep?:duck:

OMG! I see you Dad driving around with flashing lights on and you guys behind chasing!:rotfl2:

Caught up again!!:cool1:

I suspected food poisoning too and was so worried I would be sick as a dog on the plane. Luckily as the day went on I felt better and better and it was forgotten.
I did feel fancy staying there. With Skip we always go value......sometimes even below value :rotfl2:....you should see the one place we stayed at for a tractor pull.....:faint:

I guess I just am a loud sleeper...who knew? :rolleyes2

We told family how he turned his lights on and people just totally crack up over it ...but we probably would've never found him otherwise.

April 14, 2013, Sunday

I slept great. I guess the long day before really knocked me out. But in true vacation fashion I was up early. I threw on some shorts and a tee and went outside to explore the grounds.

The Golf Course was behind our buildings.

It was so nice to be seeing flowers!

There was a chill in the air and you can see it was a big foggy in spots, but it was still great to be away from Ohio.

I found another grilling area.

The outdoor pool, the indoor one is in that building with the big windows behind it.

I saw Cardinals all over the place and I was constantly trying to get a “good” picture of one, but they were always just out of focus range. Ironically, Cardinals are Ohio’s state bird ….and I rarely ever see them there.

A view from the pool deck that wraps around towards the back side of the indoor pool and main building ….. This was a look at the back side of the resort buildings towards our buildings direction.

You can kind of see the golf course to the left.

This looks like such a beautiful resort. I particularly love the photos of the outdoor pool in the mist. Graham can attest to how difficult taking a photo of cardinals is. They seem to sit all pretty until you have focused the camera on them and then they disappear deeper into the tree or fly off.

Corinna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter