• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who covers the extra nights worth of tips for the Dream?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
So do the guest or Disney pick up the tab for the extra couple of nights added to the Dream's sailing? I hope that none of the staff is shorted on their tips.

Each passenger probably got a room credit. Those who had to stay longer would not be obligated to pay the tip as they have no choice but to stay on. They shouldn't feel the need either. Lots of people budget for their assigned time and should not have to feel they need to pay something not in the budget. Disney may pick it up but its part of the job. Many companies who **** down on land dont always pay associates either.

Each passenger probably got a room credit. Those who had to stay longer would not be obligated to pay the tip as they have no choice but to stay on. They shouldn't feel the need either. Lots of people budget for their assigned time and should not have to feel they need to pay something not in the budget. Disney may pick it up but its part of the job. Many companies who **** down on land dont always pay associates either.
They knew when they got on that it was 2 days longer than scheduled. If they couldn’t cover those tips, they shouldn’t have got on. Many people cancelled. I guess you could make that argument for the extra day.,. But yeah, I’m in the boat that if my family got fed and served and cleaned up after for free for an extra day, the $50 in tips is the least I could do!

In my experience (used to work at the Disney Store in Times Square), Disney will do the right thing by them. When our store was shut for several days because of Hurricane Sandy all cast members were paid for their scheduled shifts during the time we were closed - and as I understand it all Disney Store cast members in affected areas where the stores were closed for multiple days were as well. I would imagine that they will do something to compensate the tipped crew members (as well as any whose contracts end during this extension but are unable to disembark) in situations like this.

They knew when they got on that it was 2 days longer than scheduled. If they couldn’t cover those tips, they shouldn’t have got on.

Some people budget very tightly for vacations. Hopefully they have wiggle room to cover a few extra days tips but if not, I would not blame them if they chose to continue on the cruise. It could be a once in a lifetime thing that they may never get to do again. They might lose money having to change their plans at this point and it's simply more cost effective, if not necessarily fair to the cast members, for them to proceed. DCL may cover the tips as a bit of goodwill.

Last edited:
I'm sure Disney will pick it up. They increased the tip amount about 3 weeks before my cruise. I went to guess services and tried to adjust my pre-paid tip. I was told not to worry about it Disney was picking up the difference for everyone that had pre-paid. I would assume this will be the same.

They knew when they got on that it was 2 days longer than scheduled. If they couldn’t cover those tips, they shouldn’t have got on. Many people cancelled. I guess you could make that argument for the extra day.,. But yeah, I’m in the boat that if my family got fed and served and cleaned up after for free for an extra day, the $50 in tips is the least I could do!
If they cancel Disney states they could book a new cruise at prevailing rates. Many people have to plan years in advance for a vacation and budget. The company should be the one to pick up the extra and not the passengers.

Some people budget very tightly for vacations.

In that case, the extra day(s) of free food that they otherwise would have had to purchase themselves on land should provide room in the budget for extra tips. Having said that, I would expect that Disney would pick up the tab for the extra tips and not leave either the guests or the crew in a lurch.

Here's another question: what about the day of Sept 5, where the Dream is currently anticipated to be in port in Port Canaveral with no passengers? I would imagine that when the guests disembark, the ship will be prepared for the next sailing on the regular schedule, and then the crew will essentially have a day off. Although I'm sure that having a day off when such almost never occurs during a contract will be most appreciated, many of them have families that rely on their income back home. Will Disney provide the standard tip to everyone that day, even though there are no passengers on board?

Last edited:
In my experience (used to work at the Disney Store in Times Square), Disney will do the right thing by them.

I'm glad to hear that. Disney is known for paying on the low end. Events like that happen infrequently enough that taking care of employees doesn't cost that much in the big scheme of things, but goes a long way to increase morale and public image.

In that case, the extra day(s) of free food that they otherwise would have had to purchase themselves on land should provide room in the budget for extra tips. Having said that, I would expect that Disney would pick up the tab for the extra tips and not leave either the guests or the crew in a lurch.

Here's another question: what about the day of Sept 5, where the Dream is currently anticipated to be in port in Port Canaveral with no passengers? I would imagine that when the guests disembark, the ship will be prepared for the next sailing on the regular schedule, and then the crew will essentially have a day off. Although I'm sure that having a day off when such almost never occurs during a contract will be most appreciated, many of them have families that rely on their income back home. Will Disney provide the standard tip to everyone that day, even though there are no passengers on board?

There is no way that Disney is going to give them the day off. They might have a couple more hours off than normal but there will be lots of deep cleaning done.

Anyone who budgets that tightly for a cruise, especially in hurricane season shouldn’t be cruising.
That reminds me of a woman who posted about her & her husband's WDW experience during hurricane season a few years ago. Flight cancellations forced them to stay an extra couple of days, and they had to IOU Disney the payment because they had no other way of paying for a couple of extra nights. No space in their bank account, no credit cards, nada. A lot of people commented that they should have been financially prepared for the uncertainties of travel, especially with a forecasted hurricane (which was no surprise to the OP when leaving home). Naturally, the OP was hurt & offended by the comments...

Disney doesn’t always do right by their guests. We got a “free” cruise couple years back. We were the first cruise on the Magic after dry dock. They knew for weeks that the ship wasn’t ready but instead waiting two days before to notify that the cruise was canceled. We luckily hadn’t flown down yet. The “free” cruise had severe blackout dates and room limitations. Luckily the airline took sympathy on us because between the change fees and increased fare we would have spent more than we paid for the original cruise. I luckily also had a good manager who let me reschedule vacation. The response from Disney was that we should be grateful for the “free” cruise and people were nasty on this board. In this case Disney should pay for the extra tips but if they won’t the guests should since the CMs work so hard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter