Who can get a handicaped parking spot?

Jolimont

Earning My Ears
I posted last week about my daughter's juvenile arthritis and got great responses, thank you again. We're now thinking about renting a car but the biggest drawback to that is having to walk considerable distances between the parking lot and the entrance of the park. So I wonder if with her Guest Assistance Card would allow us to ask for a handicap parking permit as well? We haven't applied for handicaped parking permit at home because when she's not feeling well I just don't take her with me, but I don't think she'll want to stay behind at Disney!!! Any tips for me? Thanks!

Jolimont said:
I posted last week about my daughter's juvenile arthritis and got great responses, thank you again. We're now thinking about renting a car but the biggest drawback to that is having to walk considerable distances between the parking lot and the entrance of the park. So I wonder if with her Guest Assistance Card would allow us to ask for a handicap parking permit as well? We haven't applied for handicaped parking permit at home because when she's not feeling well I just don't take her with me, but I don't think she'll want to stay behind at Disney!!! Any tips for me? Thanks!
No, the Guest Assistance Card doesn't help with parking. A long time ago, Disney issued their own little handicapped parking permits, but they stopped doing that about 10 (or maybe even more) years ago.
In order to park at the handicapped parking areas you need to have a state issued handicapped parking permit. There are some spots in the area that don't have a handicapped sign in front of them or a wheelchair symbol painted on the ground. You can park in those and not have a problem, but if you park in any of the marked spots, you risk getting a ticket.

Honestly, the shortest walk is actually to park in the regular parking spots and use the trams. Some of the handicapped parking spots are quite a hike to the park entrance (especially MK)and they don't have any tram service. The regular parking areas have tram service and, if you tell the CMs as you drive thru the parking area that you have someone with mobility problems and need to park near the tram spot, that usually is not a problem. If you have a foldable wheelchair or stroller for her, just fold it up and bring it on the tram.

Sue,

What about a person without a HC placard but needs to use an ECV? The ECV won't fit on the tram for the MK, so what are they to do?

For an ECV, tell the first parking CM that you have an ECV and don't have a handicapped parking permit. And then tell each CM directing traffic the same thing. They will either direct you to a parking spot at the front of the regular lot (where you won't need to use the tram) or to go to the Handicapped Parking (they call it Medical Parking). If you are in the Handicapped lot, just make sure that you park in one of the unmarked spots - look for signs or a wheelchair symbol painted on the ground. If there isn't one, you can park there.
For the OP, that wouldn't have worked well because the unmarked spots require more walking to get to the parlk entrance. But for you, with an ECV, it should work out just fine.

If you've got some time, you could also apply for a handicapped permit in your state. If you go to the Department of Transportation for your state, you should be able to find out how to do it. A lot of states have the forms on-line that you can download, fill out your part and then send to your doctor for a signature.

To the OP--if you're planning on walking (not using an ECV), DO nOT park in the handicapped places. I made that mistake the last trip. I, too, have RA and prefer to walk. I have a handicapped parking permit and assumed handicapped parking was, logically, the closet place to park. Not at Disney! It seems Disney thinks disabled means wheelchair user.Our first night we parked in the handicapped lot at MK, then waited for the tram we saw circling the lot . After about 20 minutes, we asked someone about the tram, only to be told that the tram doesn't come into the handicapped lot. We walked to the end of the lot and flagged down a tram, but were told by the driver (rudely) that the tram could only pick up passengers at designated areas. We were then told (by another CM), that wheelchairs were available free of charge (how wonderful), at the other end of the hp lot. He didn't offer to get us one. I was by myself with my two children (5 & 6 years old), who was supposed to push me? I was meeting my husband in the MK. I incorrectly judged the walk as not being too far and decided to walk it. Well, not only is it quite a hike, there's a spot with a rather difficult up and down slope that would make manuvering a wheelchair quite difficult. We finally made it to the mk, BUT I was so exhausted I just spent the evening sitting in a restaurant while my husband took the kids around. The we had an equally hard time getting out. All the while, we saw non-disabled people being shuttled around on a tram, while I was expected to walk, push a wheelchair a considerable distance, or come equipped with my own ECV.

The best thing for you to do is inform the Cm in the parking lot that you have a permit (get one soon!), but do not have a wheelchair. There are spaces in the regular lots that are reserved for people with disabilities and they should direct you there. Then you can board the tram like everyone else. Apparently Disney thinks all disabled people come with wheelchairs--they never thoughht of "the rest of us".

So if I understood correctly, all parks (but NOT Magic Kingdom) have a tram that takes people from regular parking lots to the gate of the park?

1. We'll have a rental car
2. We'll be staying at the Port Orleans
3. Our daughter has mobility issues, but she can walk

Would a good startegy for us be to drive ourselves to the regular parking lots and take a tram to the gate of the park every day except when we go to Magic Kingdom? On our MK days we should take the Disney shuttles from the hotel. Did I get this right?! :moped:

Thanks everyone!

Sorry, maybe I didn't explain it well. All parks have trams that service the regular parking lots only. None of the parks have trams that go into the handicapped parking lots. I just talked about MK, because I had an expecially bad experience there, but the situation is the same in all the parks. The trams don't go into the hp lots because they can't accomodate wheelchairs & ECV's. Your best bet is to use the regular parking lots. If you have a permit, the cm will let you park in areas in the regular lots that are closer to the parks. I don't believe they have a sign, just have to be directed there by a cm. Or you could just let your daughter off close to a tram stop (ask a cm, I believe they have signs), then park and come back to join her. I assume she can stand for several minutes?

Also, make sure you get a Guest Assistance Pass. It won't help you with parking, but it does allow you easier access to rides, etc. It does not allow you to go to the head of the line, but in your daughter's case it will allow to use alternative entrances that are easier to navigate, such as no stairs, etc. You can get a GAC at the City Hall in MK, and various other places around Disney (maybe ask at your hotel if you're staying onsite). You can also use it for preferential seating at the parades--they have certain areas roped off for people with disabilities. There's seating there, they don't expect everyone with a disability to use a wheelchair. Its too bad the search function is down on this board--there's a ton of information for people with disabilities. Make sure to ask for Disney's guide booklet for people with disabilities. You can get it wherever you get your GAC or I think they will mail you one. However, its heavily slanted towards wheelchair users. However, you can get some good tips from it. Just take it slow, rest a lot, and realize you can't see and do everything (who does?) As long as you enjoy the things you do see, you will have a great trip!

A few more suggestions for your child with RA--is it possible to increase her meds while on the trip? Maybe talk to your Dr--I usually increase my prednisone by 5 mg more just while on the trip. It helps. Also, I've taken to using a cane in recent years. I find it helps with balance, etc., but I also find it serves as a visual cue to people that I'm not just walking slow, I do have a disability. I'm 50 years old, but I donn't know how a young girl would feel about using a cane. Most people her age are very sensitive to their appearance and would rather die than "look different". However, its just a suggestion that you might consider. Good luck and have a great trip!

vhoffman said:
The trams don't go into the hp lots because they can't accomodate wheelchairs & ECV's. Your best bet is to use the regular parking lots. If you have a permit, the cm will let you park in areas in the regular lots that are closer to the parks. I don't believe they have a sign, just have to be directed there by a cm.....
You can get a GAC at the City Hall in MK, and various other places around Disney (maybe ask at your hotel if you're staying onsite)..... Make sure to
ask for Disney's guide booklet for people with disabilities.
The trams don't go to the handicapped parking lots at any of the parks.
If the person is able to step onto the tram and you have a foldable wheelchair that is light enough to lift onto the trams, you can park in the regular lot and take the wheelchair onto the tram with you.
The close in spots are not marked; they often have a orange cone in them that the CM moves when they direct someone to park there. You don't necessarily need a handicapped parking permit to park in one of those spots; just tell the CM directing traffic about mobility problems.

FOR MK, you are pretty much always going to be walking the shortest distance by using the buses. The parking lot for MK is not right at the park. You have to walk (from the handicapped lot) or take the tram (from the regular lot) to the TTC. From there, you either walk a ways to the boat or a shorter distance, but up a long, steep ramp to the monorail. Once you arrive at the park, the distacne you walk is similar whether you come by bus, by boat or by monorail.

You can get a GAC at Guest Services at any of the parks (not at Guest Services at the resorts, though).
You can find the text of the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities online, on the official Disney site. There is one for each park.
If you go to the disABILITIES FAQs near the top of this board, you will a link to the Guidebooks.

I just returned from WDW. You should definitely apply for a handicapped parking permit. My process began with my doctor's office. He filled out his part, then I filled out my part & went to my local motor vehicle office.

One day my friend (who does not have a handicapped tag) had my ECV in her SUV. I rode in my car - I have the hanging handicapped tag. Well, the CM tried to give us a hard time because the car behind us (my friend) did not have a handicapped tag. I finally got him to understand that my ECV was in her car :). He said she could park in the handicapped section long enough to get my ECV out. We did see some blue parking spots without a handicapped marking. SO be careful where you park if you do not have a handicapped parking tag.

Before I rented an ECV from off property, we would just let a CM know that I have mobility issues, & they would let us park on the end of the row of cars - the end closest to the tram stop. I hate to take a handicapped parking spot if I don't have to.

since you are staying on WDW property, you might want to consider taking Disney busses to the parks. If your daughter might need a wheelchair, you might think about renting a wheelchair from the resort (if it is available).

As for GACs with the alternate entrance stamp ... I was told last week by CMs in the Studios that that stamp is supposed to only be used for children with issues like ADHD, autism, ... those who cannot stand in lines for long. My personal experience is that Disney cannot make up their minds about the stamps. I finally got that stamp on my GAC last week, but it took a lot of convincing. I almost feel like some people were misusing the GAC & now those of us who could really benefit from it, are being penalized by Disney. Last summer Universal Studios Hollywood was great about issuing a Guest Assistance Pass & I didn't have an ECV (last minute trip). Last week at Sea World, I had no problems. Only at Disney in the last year or so do I feel like I have to "fight" first.

JudithM said:
I just returned from WDW. You should definitely apply for a handicapped parking permit. My process began with my doctor's office. He filled out his part, then I filled out my part & went to my local motor vehicle office......
If you find the website for your state's Deparment of Transportation, you might be able to download a copy of the form from the internet. Most doctor's offices also have copies of the form.
Before I rented an ECV from off property, we would just let a CM know that I have mobility issues, & they would let us park on the end of the row of cars - the end closest to the tram stop. I hate to take a handicapped parking spot if I don't have to.......
I almost feel like some people were misusing the GAC & now those of us who could really benefit from it, are being penalized by Disney. Last summer Universal Studios Hollywood was great about issuing a Guest Assistance Pass & I didn't have an ECV (last minute trip). Last week at Sea World, I had no problems. Only at Disney in the last year or so do I feel like I have to "fight" first.
I think both the parking and GACs have more chance for abuse now because more people are aware of them. So, there's good and bad in knowledge. Some people who really benefit from (and need) GACs and close in parking wouldn't know about them without the internet. But, there are other people with no qualms about mis-using them that are also finding out about them from the same sources.

JudithM suggested
since you are staying on WDW property, you might want to consider taking Disney busses to the parks

Can I second that suggestion.

Most everyone who posts on these boards suggest that the bus is always the best way to get to Magic Kingdom because it drops you off right at the park entrance. To get to MK by car you have to ride over by boat or monorail, even from the handicap parking, which adds to your journey time. Buses all carry ECVs and wheelchairs. Buses are always the fastest way to MK.

For the other three parks, the advantage of using the bus is not so clear, but it won't be much slower using the buses, and you won't have to allow time to dissasemble/reassemble the ECV and lift it in and out of your car.

Of course, the car gives you the ultimate freedom to go where you want on non-Disney days.

Andrew

Jolimont said:
So if I understood correctly, all parks (but NOT Magic Kingdom) have a tram that takes people from regular parking lots to the gate of the park?

1. We'll have a rental car
2. We'll be staying at the Port Orleans
3. Our daughter has mobility issues, but she can walk

Would a good startegy for us be to drive ourselves to the regular parking lots and take a tram to the gate of the park every day except when we go to Magic Kingdom? On our MK days we should take the Disney shuttles from the hotel. Did I get this right?! :moped:

Thanks everyone!
Heck, if you're staying on site, it might just be easist to take the bus everywhere. Definately take the bus to MK at a minimum. As our friend Andrew says: it won't be much slower using the buses.

We take the bus most of the time (and always to MK).

We have been to WDW only a few times and we always use WDW transportation. Last year we finally bit the bullet and took our very autistic & mentally handicapped 8yo son. He can walk pretty well on flat ground but not on inclines, and not for very long. We have a Convaid wheelchair that looks like a large umbrella stroller (I highly recommend them btw.) We stayed in our camper at Fort Wilderness and used the buses and the boat there. With or without the wheelchair, we never had an issue getting to or from the parks and resorts. Much more convenient than driving and sooo relaxing after a hard day at the parks. :cloud9:

We only rarely experienced a dirty look with regard to our son getting out and walking. I just ignored them. I figure if anyone has an issue, well, they just dont have enough handicapped kids in their life...in other words, they can bite me. :teeth: We loved having our Convaid--loaded it up with our diaper bag,snacks, extra clothes, too. My son absolutley loved Disney (except for the Haunted mansion--too scary). He didn't really "get it" but liked the fact that we were all together. :grouphug:

I wish i had not been so scared to do it. It turned out to be the best vacation we ever had. Disney provided a top-flight experience in every way. In fact, since that time, my hubby has become disabled with a heart condition--guess where we're going for our anniversary get-away? :love:

All of our vehicles have handicapped license plates, but we also pay the small fee each year to get a hangtag. While this is not required, it makes it very simple at places like Disney. The CM directing traffic in parking immediately sees the tag and sends you to the proper place. It's also nice if we fly and use a rental car.

We've tired of stopping to explain to various parking attendents that we need the handicapped area. For some reason, they seem to see more hangtags than plates. I don't really understand that since our state does not charge anything extra for the handicapped plates. Before we had them, the hangtag was always in the wrong car.

Sheila

swilshire said:
Before we had them, the hangtag was always in the wrong car.Sheila

Since the handicapped hanging tag is for me, I keep it with me. That way it is with me regardless of which can I use.

Just a little side note FYI-- If you have a handicapped tag (hanging also)
You get free valet parking at all the resorts.
I thought this was great!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter