Who are your favorite artists?

grant wood....nothing is more american than dogs playing poker

American Gothic
A painting of a man and woman with stern expessions standing side-by-side in front of a white house. The man holds a pitch fork.
d in the collection of the Art Institute of Chicago. Wood was inspired to paint what is now known as the American Gothic House in Eldon, Iowa, along with "the kind of people [he] fancied should live in that house". It depicts a farmer standing beside his daughter – often mistakenly assumed to be his wife.[1][2] The painting is named for the house's architectural style.

The figures were modeled by Wood's sister Nan Wood Graham and their dentist Dr. Byron McKeeby. The woman is dressed in a colonial print apron evoking 20th-century rural Americana while the man is adorned in overalls covered by a suit jacket and carries a pitchfork. The plants on the porch of the house are mother-in-law's tongue and beefsteak begonia, which also appear in Wood's 1929 portrait of his mother, Woman with Plants.[3]

American Gothic is one of the most familiar images of 20th-century American art and has been widely parodied in American popular culture
You won't find Walter Marks because all of his work was done for the county, and never published in his name. It's in decades of tourism and business promotional materials from our county -- but nothing in Walter's name. And that's the way he wanted it. He could have continued to shoot when he retired, but he preferred a much more simple life with the love of his life instead.

I don't have any of Walter's pictures in digital format, but below is a cell phone pic of the one hanging in my office. (zoo2tycoon will appreciate this look at our cruise port in the old days, with what today would be considered little ships.)

It's print #3, and I only know of 3 pics (all this one) that he ever signed. #1 was his love's, #2 was for DW's office, and #3 was for my office.

I'm actually going to have DW check with his partner to see if she has a collection of his works. They can't be published, but they should be given to our historical museum because they really capture Miami as it once was, in transition, and the early part of what it became. We should preserve that, and it will be a good project for DW and Faye to work on.

View attachment 549349
WOW, that's really inviting, I love the small aircraft so low to the water. It's easy to see how much he loves the area and how he feels it's being encroached upon, to the left is nature and to the right is big business. Good thing he preserved what he could when he could.

I get they can't be published but artists are often allowed to keep images in a portfolio of some kind otherwise how do they get other jobs? Shame if the work can't be shared.

About American Gothic, my Aunt had a wicked sense of humor and posed in a photo of herself and my uncle with a pitchfork on their little bit of land in NYC.

Monet paints with such a delicate hand, so pretty.
Shag, I wasn't familiar but the bright stylized work is interesting.
Tom Everhart, don;t think I've seen this before but I like the street artist versions of Snoopy a lot! Something pop culture like in it that reminds me of Warhol.

I saw original Monet works at the Bellagio in Las Vegas when it first opened. It was amazing!

I have a thing for mid century modern aesthetics.

Snoopy is my all time favorite comic/cartoon character - even more so than Disney. I adore Tom Everhart's interpretation of the Peanuts characters.

While not a painter, I really enjoy Dale Chilhuly's work in glass. I love all his works, not just his stuff for Disney.

View attachment 549056

MJ

Saw his work at the Bellagio atrium, it was just stunningly gorgeous. I'm looking at photos now and they just don't do it justice because the glass just looks like globs of color but in person the flowers are exquisite.

As an aside, the thing I liked least about staying at the Bellagio was that there was literally nowhere to sit for people with physical issues so I really couldn't enjoy the art much. After traveling during a flare I needed more rest than normal so I think I was able to walk through the flowers only once and needed to go back to my room right away, the hotel was pretty but I won't be going back, the Cosmopolitan was way more accomodating. If I remember correctly, at the Bellagio there were little pointy things set up everywhere a person could possibly sit like they have on buildings for pigeons, which told me a lot about how management feels about guests.

My building lobby has a huge Chihuly piece. It's really beautiful - it's called, "Tre Stelle di Lapislazzuli". Every year, during winter break, it gets a thorough cleaning and every year I say I am going to come to campus to see how exactly they clean it...but I still haven't made it.

Attachments

• Chihuly.jpg
    Chihuly.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Really enjoying this thread
Van Gogh, artful but always very heavy footed, immovable and devoid of emotion, always makes me sad, I think it's. the monotone and heavy strokes.
Monet usually strikes me as a bit wistful, I like the work.

Agree, there was always something about Van Gogh's work that was disturbing to my soul, genius tho. Monet had opposite effect, calming and soothing.

M. C. Escher
Love your contribution, what a curious peek into a busy and fascinating mind the work offers. It's impossible to rest on what he is trying to say, unless he's just pointing out that tension is a constant. Oddly, I don't often seek out the puzzle makers as artists but really they are amazing because when I see their work I get totally mesmerized and lost in it, which is the point so they totally need to be included, very enjoyable.

My building lobby has a huge Chihuly piece. It's really beautiful - it's called, "Tre Stelle di Lapislazzuli". Every year, during winter break, it gets a thorough cleaning and every year I say I am going to come to campus to see how exactly they clean it...but I still haven't made it.
WOW, that's an amazing visual luxury you have in your orbit, totally gorgeous!

I was gonna say Big Freedia, different kind of artist

Favorite painter John Singleton Copley. My favorite painting Watson and the shock hanging in the Museum of fine arts in Boston also in the Washington national Gallery

Saw his work at the Bellagio atrium, it was just stunningly gorgeous. I'm looking at photos now and they just don't do it justice because the glass just looks like globs of color but in person the flowers are exquisite.

As an aside, the thing I liked least about staying at the Bellagio was that there was literally nowhere to sit for people with physical issues so I really couldn't enjoy the art much. After traveling during a flare I needed more rest than normal so I think I was able to walk through the flowers only once and needed to go back to my room right away, the hotel was pretty but I won't be going back, the Cosmopolitan was way more accomodating. If I remember correctly, at the Bellagio there were little pointy things set up everywhere a person could possibly sit like they have on buildings for pigeons, which told me a lot about how management feels about guests.

We were at the Bellagio probably a decade ago so I don't remember much about the seating but the Chihuly works there are unbelievable. He also did the atrium chandeliers for both the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder which have since be removed and replaced (with chandeliers not as nice). We also went to a Dale Chihuly exhibition at the New York Botanical Garden years ago and it was fantastic. The Atlantis hotel in the Bahamas also has some of his works. I often wonder what happened to his works removed from the Magic and Wonder. Hope they were repurposed somewhere.

MJ

Some guy named "Walt" he really started something special... With a Mouse named " Mickey"

Dale Chihuly - amazing work, Botanical Garden in NYC, just amazing...

Claude Monet - amazing work, Next trip to France we are planning a trip to Giverny... you can get lost in his work, it really pulls you in

Ansel Adams - his photography takes you there... at just the moment...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter