Where would you stay as a "single" parent with your 3 1/2 year old son?

jaysue

DIS Veteran
Hi, going to WDW mid-May, of the following which would you pick as a "single" (Mom is not coming with us) parent with a 3 1/2 year old boy:

POR
POFQ
CBR

WL
AKL

I know the cost differences, am looking for opinion on best moderate for this trip and best deluxe

Thanks!
Jason

Hurray, 2nd trip this year - Lucky Us!
:bounce: :Pinkbounc

I stayed with my 5 year old at POFQ and it was great. The resort is small enough that you don't need at stroller at the hotel. The pool and the slide are a good size for young children. I think it is the perfect resort for small children.

I know it's not on your list but I'd go with the All-Star Movies too. It is perfect for young kids and the rooms would be plenty big enough for the two of you. The food court has great options for kids as well.

we would here go for Animal kingdom lodge. Our 2 year old twins loved it. Second deluxe choice Wilderness Lodge. If its a moderate POFQ. in that order for us. Good luck...

Thanks all for the advice so far - fantastic - so I am thinking ASM now as well

Thanks again!
Jason

:crazy:

I took my oldest dd for her 4th birthday it was just her & I. We stayed at the WL and had a blast. At that age the MK is the most important park, and the boat ride over from WL was terrific. And contrary to alot of other posters we didn't have a problem with the bus. Whatever you decide, it will be a blast. There's nothing like one on one quality time with your child. Enjoy.

Absolutely AKL!!!!

The pool is one reason. There is a zero entry where my small child liked to play. You can then pick up your child and swim around in the deeper areas. That area of the pool, the zero entry, acts like a beach. The little ones love it. They can get their feet wet and only go in ankle deep, or go in a little deeper and get their knees wet.

The animals are a huge draw there. What 3 year old wouldn 't love to wake up with animals outside their balcony?

The buffet has enough to satisfy your child and you.

There is a ton to see around the lobby and throughout the hallways.

Not only is this resort appealing to kids, but it is full of adult appointments to keep you comfortable as well. You may be interested in room service, for example, that I don't think the budget or moderate resorts have. I think there is a kids center there if you should desire to relax in the lounge during one evening or have a fancier dinner at Jiko.

I took my son last year (age 6) for a father son weekend and we stayed at the All Star Sports. My kids love the All Stars. Lots of eye candy.

I think any of the resorts that you mentioned would be awesome with you son. Lots of kid friendly things at all of them. However my top pick would be AKL, just b/c of the great time we had there with our 2 1/2 yo this past Feb. She loved the zero-entry pool and of course the animals. They also have a nice playground with sand play area. And DH and I liked the restaurant selections and the fact that everything is under "one roof." The transportation was also very good here.

Enjoy! I don't think you can pick a wrong resort!

Gi

Maybe a different perspective here but I would try to choose a hotel for the transportation. I had the opportunity to enjoy the parks with my DS when he was 2 while DH was at work in Orlando. With a 2 year old you will most likely be taking a stroller and some sort of bag. It will be difficult to board the busses with your Ds and all the stuff. The boat over at the Epcot Resorts gives you the option to take the stroller right on without folding it, as does the monorail. It can be a lifesaver on a day when little one falls asleep or it is too hot to carry a little one who has tired feet. The Swan/Dolphin is offering a good rate now and there are codes for the others too. :)

Our 2 year old also loved AKL, but honestly, one of his favorite things about it was the ice machine. :rolleyes: It was right down the hall & he always wanted to go get more ice with his dad. :)

The person who said "compact" had the right idea! It would be good to stay in a place where everything is indoors or connected, like WL or AKL. It gives you more flexibility & protection from weather (which is always unpredictable).

For the stroller issue, packing light in a backpack gives you the best flexibility. It's hard to avoid the busses, no matter where you stay, so either plan to rent a stroller, or get used to folding yours while holding on to your 3 yo.

I'm sure it will be magical anywhere you choose!

...a geat father(?)/son thing would be to "hang out" at WL. You both will get a kick out of the decor (so authentic!!), LOVE the shenanigans at Whispering Canyon (not to mention the Character Caravan that comes to this location almost on a daily basis), and the boat ride to MK is lots of fun, too!! (I have to assume that this is the park where you will visit the most!)

One last recomendation: ferry (or bus) to Cont. for breakfast at Chef Mickey's, followed by a monorail ride to MK!!

This is not over cost perspectives, but rather, the themeing.....and I believe at your sons age, the larger than life icons of some Disney film legends alone would entice your son to want to even stay put right there....my kids who were older when we went last time were totally enthralled over Buzz,Pongo and Perdita...and even more so, still talk about the giant Mickey Socerer hat...they really saw this stuff as being sooooooo cool, and when they found out that you could walk through the hat...well, lets just say, it was a focal point anytime we were near it.
That being said, if I were to choose a moderate, I would have a hard time choosing...each has its own merits..but personally, (and maybe because I spent a long time deliberating this for our trip this time) I went with Coranado Springs...most of the reason for that is the pool/dig site area....if you havent seen anything about this resort, there are a few people here who have entire sites devoted to it..pics alone sold me.

If I were to stay on the monorail.....I would have to choose the Contemporary, based solely on location, but I would have to have a veiw of the castle....(of course, it would have to also be a moneys no object vacation!!)

Finally, if I couldnt decide, I would give into temptation to stay at a couple of different locations...maybe split the trip between staying at the least expensive, then go for either moderate or deluxe.

My final words and advise on this...you know yourself what your son loves...if he's into Disney movies, well, the choice is obvious....if he loves animals, again, pretty easy.
I would show HIM what he can choose, and let HIM decide...call me crazy, but this choice may be left better to the professional...your son!!!!!!!
Whatever you decide, have a great time bonding with the little guy...it should be a great time(and dont forget, if it rains, play in it!!!!Nothing better than jumping in a few puddles at that age, and he'll love you for it as well!!!)

A dad

I have stayed at almost every resort at Disney and personally I think the WL is your best choice. When traveling alone with a young child you need to think about convenience and location. WL is just a short boat ride to MK and lets face it, that is probably where you will be spending most of your time. Also the lodge is absolutly beautiful and plenty to do and see there as well.

Hope you have a wonderful time with your DS at the most magical place in the world!!

Personally speaking, when we traveled with our son at that age we always stayed at a "monorail" resort. The Poly was our choice. It made thing soooooo much easier. Plus we were close to the MK and that was the "park of choice" back then :) Now, he's 13 and it doesn't matter! :)

But given your choices I would pick WL...close to MK and you can use the boats to get to and from the MK. Then hop the monorail to other Parks.

But wherever you wind up staying; have a Wonderful Trip!! :)

kimmar

Last week at WL they told us that since Early Entry has been reinstated they do not do the Character Caravan anymore. We asked specifically and that is what the CM told us.

That being said WL is a very "manly" resort and i think you "boys" would enjoy the rustic nature of it.

For a moderate, I would strongly recommend Port Orleans French Quarter. For a deluxe the Wilderness Lodge. For a value, All Star Movies.

The only delux we stayed at was GF. 4 yr DD loved it because of 1900 fair princess dinner, and pirate cruise. Pool is smaller, but a short distance. Next time we'll stay at Poly, it seems more kid friendly. For moderate POR is great, ask Alligator Bayou, it is closest to food court, bus stop,fishing and swimming. That is where we stayed

The key thing is when you are alone with the 3.5 yr old you have to worry about him, and your luggage , connections etc. Our DD was 3.5 first time we took her (POR). Our stress points were walking from the park to the resort buses (long ways away for entrance), and finding something to eat at night at the resort. POR food court is very busy, noisy and stimulating. Bringing food back to your room from there and managing the 3 year old is a toughie. The deluxes tend to have more food options. If the budget allows you may even want to consider concierge. They have food out most of the time from 7 to 7. Almost always have kid friendly selections, and the breakfasts are great.

More unsolicited advise, when our DD was 3.5 yrs, she knew only a few characters and stories. Rides were okay, but shows were the best for keeping her attention. For that reason she really liked Lion King at AKL, Playhouse Disney at MGM, Tough to be a Bug at AKL, and Indiana Jones at MGM. (Notice these are not girl specific shows). Also the petting zoo at AKL was a hit, as well as the playgrounds at each park (Toon Town,) Honey I Shrunk the Kids, and the Boneyard.
You are a great dad to do this!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter