Where have you experienced rude people at WDW?

Where did the rudeness occur?

• Waiting in line

• At a restaurant

• Parade/show

• at resort

• bus

• Never experienced anyone being rude.

Results are only viewable after voting.

disneypolybride2008

DIS Veteran
Just wondering if this has happened to you, and what did you do?

We were waiting for the AK xmas parade and got there in plenty of time. We got front frow and to the right of us there was the post to the awning we were under. We were up to the line, just us 2 adults. Once the parade got closer of course more and more people gather around us. The part i dont like is when people get so close that they're constantly touching you, especially their kids! The people around us had a couple kids, one in a stroller, and then the 2 parents. They sat RIGHT behind us and their kid kicked me more than once, and kept touching my bag. Then the kid squeezed up next to me in between the party on the left. PERSONAL SPACE PLEASE, i want my inch!
Then a woman wanted to get her stroller through.. um to WHERE! there IS NO more room. She gave me a dirty look, like i'm supposed to move.. how about YOU get here 45 minutes early like I did if you want a good spot. Not 5 min before the parade starts. It annoyed us both so much that people do not respect other's personal space. I told them to stop touching me, but that didnt make them stop. Then when the parade started they were leaning on me and their arm kept going in my cameras view so i had to keep moving my camera to not have their arm in it. My husband was so annoyed he stayed sitting down and the parents were leaning over his head and touching his back with their legs to get their pictures.. really like 6 inches is going to make a better picture?

Sounds like sitting near the parade route at Ohana's. We dont have kids, so we're trying to eat and some woman is talking to me about how it's not a good place to sit.. yeah because YOU are up against my chair! We always ask for a table AWAY from the parade route now.

Why are people so rude?

Unbelievable. People can be so rude. Especially come parade time.

There is simply no excuse for letting your kids hit another person. No matter how old. Amazing that a parent would ever let their child continue to do that.

SIMPLE
1. Pay attention to your kids.
2. Tell your kids to treat others the way they want to be treated. (not hitting)

Our only really bad experiences with rude people have also been with others trying to butt into our space for a parade. At MK with our granddaughters we lined up on the curb a full hour before Spectromagic while there were still lots of open places. About 30 minutes before the parade while there were still a few open places I admit that I made a stupid mistake of standing up, turning around and moving about 2 steps to take a photo. That's when I heard the 7 year-old shout, "Grandma, someone is taking your place!" I turned around and told the couple that I was there with our grandchildren and that I had just turned around to take a picture. The lady told me that since I moved it was no longer my place. We exchanged a few more words - all polite on my side, and the woman's husband finally dragged her away to bother someone else.

The following is an example of how things can sometimes work out well. When just my DH & I were in AK for their Jingle Jammin Parade we found a spot to sit right behind the taped line well before parade time. We made our spot 3 adults wide by placing our backpack between us. Later, a nice family of 2 adults & 2 young children came and found space behind us. We chatted and I told them that when the parade was ready to begin we would gladly switch places with them if they were willing to sit so that we could shoot photos over their heads. That is exactly how it worked out and everyone was happy. I love it when we can work cooperatively.

Try thinking about this from a different perspective.

For instance, in America our proxemic space is 12 - 18". That is the space our culture prefers to stand at a minimum away from each other. But in middle eastern countries it is 6". Some people may not realize that being close to you or even touching you bothers them. Even if you ask someone to stop touching you, they may find it offensive that you are implying that they or their children are gross or nasty.

Additionally, you are at a spot where no one has squatting rights and everyone wants to enjoy a parade or show. People are going to take up every available inch of space and then some. If you want something less crowded, rethink your front row seat at a popular parade. If you don't want to be around children or have them parading around a restaurant, Ohanas or Disneyworld may not be the best place for you.

Waiting in line a couple of times, either by what they were saying out loud, or pushing/trying to cut in line. Also, I was stepped on and hit by a stroller when I was in a TSMM stampede at rope drop...

Just wondering if this has happened to you, and what did you do?

We were waiting for the AK xmas parade and got there in plenty of time. We got front frow and to the right of us there was the post to the awning we were under. We were up to the line, just us 2 adults. Once the parade got closer of course more and more people gather around us. The part i dont like is when people get so close that they're constantly touching you, especially their kids! The people around us had a couple kids, one in a stroller, and then the 2 parents. They sat RIGHT behind us and their kid kicked me more than once, and kept touching my bag. Then the kid squeezed up next to me in between the party on the left. PERSONAL SPACE PLEASE, i want my inch!
Then a woman wanted to get her stroller through.. um to WHERE! there IS NO more room. She gave me a dirty look, like i'm supposed to move.. how about YOU get here 45 minutes early like I did if you want a good spot. Not 5 min before the parade starts. It annoyed us both so much that people do not respect other's personal space. I told them to stop touching me, but that didnt make them stop. Then when the parade started they were leaning on me and their arm kept going in my cameras view so i had to keep moving my camera to not have their arm in it. My husband was so annoyed he stayed sitting down and the parents were leaning over his head and touching his back with their legs to get their pictures.. really like 6 inches is going to make a better picture?

Sounds like sitting near the parade route at Ohana's. We dont have kids, so we're trying to eat and some woman is talking to me about how it's not a good place to sit.. yeah because YOU are up against my chair! We always ask for a table AWAY from the parade route now.

Why are people so rude?

Typically, I resist the urge to correct misbehaving children (kindergarten teacher here :teacher:) in public. It's a reflex in the classroom and it can be hard to get out of that mode when I'm in the "outside" world. If a child were kicking me, however, I would definitely say something to the parents or even the kid (depending on age). I would try very hard to not come off sounding nasty, though, since that would pretty much guarantee a nasty response. I'm a pretty non-confrontational person. :flower3:

The only time we have experienced any rude behavior was when we were at the same park with the tour groups from South America. They can completely take over a park. I have never seen anything come close. The worst part was walking in the park. They would cover an entire street and always expect us to move. Like everyone suggested to me on here, "hop to another park!"
This was late Jan. so not sure what other times of the year this is a problem.

Try thinking about this from a different perspective.

For instance, in America our proxemic space is 12 - 18". That is the space our culture prefers to stand at a minimum away from each other. But in middle eastern countries it is 6". Some people may not realize that being close to you or even touching you bothers them. Even if you ask someone to stop touching you, they may find it offensive that you are implying that they or their children are gross or nasty.

Additionally, you are at a spot where no one has squatting rights and everyone wants to enjoy a parade or show. People are going to take up every available inch of space and then some. If you want something less crowded, rethink your front row seat at a popular parade. If you don't want to be around children or have them parading around a restaurant, Ohanas or Disneyworld may not be the best place for you.

I dont have a problem with the kids in the parade, that's fine and cute actually but i have a problem with their rude parents up against my chair to take pictures. :teacher:

My dad and I were standing and waiting for Wishes immediately after SpectroMagic, so we had PLENTY of time before the show started. We were standing in our spot, and literally 2 minutes before the show, this VERY tall man with his daughter on his shoulders stood DIRECTLY in front of us. My dad asked him very politely to move, and he said no :mad: We then asked him again, he shot us an incredibly dirty look, and moved.

Some people >.<

We had a waitress at Sci-Fi diner be rude to m husband, and I can remeber the conversation.
We waited an extra hour of waiting for the Sci. Then, we were directed to our table. The place had so many left over tables, you could probrably fit all the people that were waiting. We though there was a reason the host and hotess's were dtanding by and chatting and chuckling.

Husband to Waitress: "I'd like to file a complaint about the wait."

Waitress: "Well maybe you and you family can be more patient while we work."

Husband: "What work? Your standing out there talking to each other when there are all these extra tables."

Waitress: "I can kick you out, sir."

Husband: Nic, get Elli. We're leaving."

I grabbed Elli's hand and the waitress just stormed over to the next table. People were still out there waiting, and you could see the children getting impatient and restless. It was late, and Elli was falling asleep. We grabbed her a milk and CN at Port Orleans (which was a very exotic hotel.)

22 and feeling youthful!

Gavin-: :joker:
Me-: :smickey:
Elli: :tink:

Married to my prince charming on 2/10/09

My little princess is 3! And as cute as ever!

So far, I went to Disney 12 times and going again!

:sulley: OCTOBER 30TH IS THE MAGIC WORD :tigger:

The kicking is unacceptable. Someone touching you? It is gonna happen when you are waiting for a parade.

In all my trips to Disney World I haven't encountered that many rude people. One that sticks out has to do with a little firetruck they had by the firehouse in the Magic Kingdom. I was in line with my niece waiting to get her picture taken on it. After the child who was on it left, some woman came out of left field, plopped her child on it, and started to take pictures. Hello lady, see the long line?:confused:

You need to add "fireworks" to your poll. I was at Disneyland 2 weeks ago. I got there 2 full hours ahead to get a spot RIGHT up by the castle. We sat on the curb RIGHT in front of the castle and had a great view. Then at the last minute a man stood right up in front of us and hoisted his daughter on his shoulders. Now, you know how close I was to the castle if I was there 2 hours early. He had to be maybe 3 people back from the rope in front of the castle, and he still had to put her up. And after all, the fireworks are UP, not on the ground in front of the castle.

Parents, please plan ahead so you don't have to block someone else's view putting your kid on your shoulders!

This topic brings back bad memories from a daytime parade at the MK several years ago. In this parade CMs came around 30 minutes or so before the start of the parade and gave the young children a character sticker. We were told that at some time during the parade a float would stop in front of us and the children were supposed to go out and dance with the character on their sticker. Sounds fantastic doesn't it? The problem was that me, my husband and our yong daughters were on a bench near a wall on the hub in front of the castle. By the time the parade started there was very little to almost no room left in our area. The minute the parade stopped and our daughters went to go out and meet their character, a woman and her two older teens climbed into their space on the bench. When I told them they couldn't stand there that my children would have to come back they went into the 'I don't speak English' routine and so I can do whatever I want. Of course, when the children were sent back with their parents my daughters had absolutely no where to go. When we tried to get our daughters back on the bench with us the older woman started shoving and one of them stuck a huge sucker into my drink. My family still kids me about the time I got into a physical fight at Disney World. And to this day I have never tried to watch a daytime parade.

And by the way, looking back at it I think this was probably a terrible idea from whoever planned that parade. The crowds were just to rude to let it work.

I've experienced rudeness at all of the listed above, sadly.

I do my best to try to ignore the people and enjoy my trip. However, it really troubles me that people can be so unhappy and grumpy while they're supposed to be having a good time and relaxing.

EDIT: I should also say that I dislike rudeness in general, not just at Disney. :laughing:

Sadly, I voted for every category. In all of my (many) trips to Disney, I've experienced people being rude all over the place.

There is always talk of wild South American groups (yep, I've seen them), and personal space issues with people from other cultures. But for me, the majority of people that I've seen behaving badly have been other Americans (probably because there are so many of us). They've been the ones shoving up against me at parades, yelling at me for going to the empty, left serving line, cutting in line on the bus, etc.. etc.. etc...

As for kicking??? I would have told the kid's parents to have him stop kicking me. If it continued, I would have told the kid (politely, but firmly) to stop. I have no problems correcting other people's children if the parents are ignoring the bad behavior. You'd be amazed at how well it works. They're embarrassed, scared, whatever... but the problem stops. We were eating at the Wolfgang Puck cafe at Downtown Disney. It was fairly late, and the dining room was quiet. A large table with many kids, and many adults was right next to us. One kid, about 12, started banging his spoon and knife on the plate like his was playing the drums. This went on for about 10 minutes. The adults ignored it. We asked the waiter if he could do something, and he said, "What can I do?" So, one of my friends went over to the table, leaned next to the kid and said, "Stop doing that immediately." None of the adults at the table responded to it at all, but the kid put the spoon and knife down and sat quietly.

Fortunately, 99% of the time, I overlook what's going on around me. I refuse to let an idiot spoil my vacation, so I ignore them. I also understand that (unfortunately) in crowds, you are unlikely to get a "perfect" view of a parade or fireworks, no matter how early you get there. Something is very likely to go wrong, so I relax and enjoy what I've got. That doesn't mean I let people push in front of me. I'll stand fast.

My funny (but weird) rude people story:

DFiance and I made it to the Fantasmic theater VERY early to get one of the front row benches (it was his first trip and he's a HUGE Sorcerer Mickey fan). While we camped out waiting for the show a young-ish French (very limited English) couple came up and asked to sit on the bench and we said okay. DFiance and I were turned sorta facing each other talking and I notice over his shoulder that our new benchmates have decided to make-out during their wait for the show... I quietly point this out to DFiance, chuckle, and continue talking. Well, sure enough, they made out throughout the whole show. Start to finish. They got so into it that they were practically laying on poor DFiance. We didn't even know what to say (plus they spoke virtually no English). We didn't even know if we should be mad or pay admission to the show.

This is why we don't do parades. Not worth it to me, I would rather walk around, shop, have a snack, anything besides stand in a huge, hot, rude crowd.

Generally I don't think there are many rude kids, I do think there are tons of parents who for some reason think just because they are at disney they no longer have to watch or discipline their children.

Kicking is a no-no. After 2X's I politely speak with the parents. Parades are a breading ground for ill manners so I generally hang toward the back.

where i experienced rude ppl in WDW is in HS. here's the story it all happened in Soarin and in the line where the games are. a woman with her family budged through my family. i just wanted to smack that woman senseless she just irked me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter