Where can I get public records of the cars I previously owned?

Imzadi

♥ Saved by an angel in a trench coat!
ZOMBIE
THREAD
EXCAVATED!
(Not by ME. I am no longer interested in this info.)

I was on the phone today with a financial institution, going through a security check to see if I'm really me. This is the third institution over the years, that asked me about cars I previously owned. They said it was part of some public records.

One car was dated back to 1984!!! :eek: Some of you reading this now weren't even born then. :laughing: Because I had a relative who used to be a used car dealer, I've actually had many cheap cars over the years. As they broke down or wore out, I'd get another cheap one. I don't always remember the year, the make or the exact model down to the letter (literally) - which is crucial for the security question. I'm a woman! That stuff wasn't important to me. :crazy2: I used to just hand over the car registrations to car mechanics and let them figure stuff out.

With Car Fax, I know you can look up a specific car and find out how many owners it had. What is the opposite to look up how many cars I previously owned?

Last edited:

Have you been with the same insurance company? You could try them.

To be honest though, I doubt you'd be able to get records of cars you owned going back that far.

Wow, how annoying. We have had 30 cars at least. We also buy used. I would flip my lid if they forced me to recall all those details.

DMV. That's all public record. Classic car collectors often use those records to tracy the history of a collectable car.
I'm the flip side of you, I'm 55 and have only owned 3 cars. Buy 'em new, keep them forever, including the 1987 I still own, so 1984 isn't that long ago.
I come by it naturally, my mom is 89 and has owned 4 cars, including one she had 27 years.

we have bought new cars every 2 years-no way I could remember them all?
:rotfl:
What a weird question to ask you-never heard of this before?:confused3

I don't get it. Aren't the security questions things that you provide the answer to in advance (first dog, street you lived on)? These places are pulling info about you out of a hat from 25+ years ago and they expect you to remember? I have never had anyone ask me info like that. How strange. Am I the only one that has never had this asked or have I been lucky? I can barely remember the names of my two kids and DH in one given day so I'd be screwed!

Me either-I wonder if its cars listed as stolen or something?

I don't get it. Aren't the security questions things that you provide the answer to in advance (first dog, street you lived on)? These places are pulling info about you out of a hat from 25+ years ago and they expect you to remember? I have never had anyone ask me info like that. How strange. Am I the only one that has never had this asked or have I been lucky? I can barely remember the names of my two kids and DH in one given day so I'd be screwed!

I agree. Never ever ever heard of such a question to prove identity before and while I haven't owned that many cars I am still grateful nobody has asked me that. It seems so odd!

I was also trying to understand how this would be a question and how they would think people would be able to answer things from 20 or 30 or 50 years back in regards to cars.

I called my bank the other day to order a new debit card because mine stopped working and they asked me to verify the month and year I opened my account.

Umm - that was like 12 years ago. I have a hard enough time remembering my kids' birthdays when people ask me that and they expect me to remember my checking account birthday???? :laughing:

that would be easy for me.

I opened my CA Teacher's CU account the month I started working as a teacher.

I opened my BofA account the month I moved to NC.

Otherwise, I would have no clue either.

Dawn

I called my bank the other day to order a new debit card because mine stopped working and they asked me to verify the month and year I opened my account.

Umm - that was like 12 years ago. I have a hard enough time remembering my kids' birthdays when people ask me that and they expect me to remember my checking account birthday???? :laughing:

Ok, they just want to verify who you are, right? I would think you could come up with just a few on the list to verify.

The make, models, and years......I think I could remember that,. I have only owned 3 cars prior to marriage and then we have had 3 more during our marriage (all 3 in both our names.) Although there is one car I can't remember the year.

I was on the phone today with a financial institution, going through a security check to see if I'm really me. This is the third institution over the years, that asked me about cars I previously owned. They said it was part of some public records.

One car was dated back to 1984!!! :eek: Some of you reading this now weren't even born then. :laughing: Because I had a relative who used to be a used car dealer, I've actually had many cheap cars over the years. As they broke down or wore out, I'd get another cheap one. I don't always remember the year, the make or the exact model down to the letter (literally) - which is crucial for the security question. I'm a woman! That stuff wasn't important to me. :crazy2: I used to just hand over the car registrations to car mechanics and let them figure stuff out.

Plus, some days, my hypothyroidism makes me fuzzier than other days :earseek: - like the days I'm asked what are normally trivial questions back to 1984! :headache:

Just to jog my own memory, I'd like to look at this list of cars. Where can I get this list? I'm willing to pay for it.

With Car Fax, I know you can look up a specific car and find out how many owners it had. I want the opposite, to look up how many cars I previously owned.

Us too. We currently have 5 cars which is more than TVGUY has ever owned in life.:lmao:

Wow, how annoying. We have had 30 cars at least. We also buy used. I would flip my lid if they forced me to recall all those details.

OP here. Exactly! Plus, since I bought them used, the year I GOT the car might not be the year the car was made. The questions are multiple choice. You pick which one out of 4 choices is the car, or it may be none of the choices.

Since they have this mysterious list from somewhere, they might insert one car MAKE & MODEL I owned, and swap out the YEAR to be the wrong year.

So, I'm thinking loosely of when I OWNED the car, but since it's used, beat up & old when I received it, it may have been made years before I even drove/owned it. So, I'd disqualify that car & it could have really been the right car. :headache:

No, the first dog questions are usually ones on Internet websites. Where you have previously entered the info when you joined or started using the site.

When I said "financial institutions" and it happened 3 times already, I meant calling over the phone to: my own bank (see my response to RitaE below,) or opening a charge card account at a department store at the register and having to verify info over the phone that I'm really me opening the account. And yesterday, calling my stock broker.

They all DID ask questions like where I previously lived (also multiple choice and switching up real info like the street name with incorrect info: the city or state are wrong.

I guess they figure all this "public record" info maybe can be gotten from background checks. :confused3, An Identity Thief might loosely have that info on me, so they'd have part of the info, like the street I lived on, but carelessly mess up on the state, etc.

The questions are purposely designed to mess up the Identity Thieves. But, like below, some questions are so obscure, Come ON! they mess up the real person, too. :mad: :headache:

YES! I was asked this question too! I called once at 2am, after I checked my bank account and saw charges I didn't make. So I was trying to report it to cancel my card. They put ME through all the security questions and that was one of the questions. :eek: What month & year I opened that account. Unless I had opened it the exact day after a major event in my life, how the heck am I supposed to remember something as mundane as that? :headache: :headache: :headache:

I couldn't even look it up on my Internet account, since it doesn't list records back that far. So either I happen to have a file cabinet ready, next to my phone & I could pull out my first statement ever from over a decade ago, or have the date linked to an important event in my life.

Get this! Since I couldn't verify what date I opened my account, I failed the security test so my credit card was still usable instead of being frozen or cancelled.
banghead.gif
I had to go to my bank the next day and I ripped them anew for such a ludicrous question. :furious: Of course when I got to the bank, all I had to show was my driver's license. I would think an Identity Thief would have had a phony ID made up if they were pretending to be me. :rolleyes:

Ok, they just want to verify who you are, right? I would think you could come up with just a few on the list to verify.

The make, models, and years......I think I could remember that,. I have only owned 3 cars prior to marriage and then we have had 3 more during our marriage (all 3 in both our names.) Although there is one car I can't remember the year.

Bingo! That is the whole point. The one you forgot about will be the one they ask about. Plus, it's a multiple choice question. You don't get to volunteer all your other cars. They may have that one car listed (make & model perfect) and tell you the wrong YEAR. Since it's multiple choice, it doesn't matter if you are off by one year. You got the question wrong.

Which is what happened to me yesterday. Let's just say I had owned a used Jaguar xj220. ;) There are many Jaguar X- models. But, they got got the whole car, down to each letter, :thumbsup2 so now it hinges on the YEAR: 1984.

Last edited:
I could do the cars, but the opening the bank account thing.:rotfl: I bank with Wells Fargo which used to be Wachovia which used to be First Union which at some point gobbled up Northwestern. I had a Northwestern savings account as a a baby, a First Union account in college and a Wachovia one after college. After I got married, we had my Wachovia account and Dh's First Union one for a while then decided to consolidate them.

OP here. Exactly! Plus, since I bought them used, the year I GOT the car might not be the year the car was made. The questions are multiple choice. You pick which one out of 4 choices is the car, or it may be none of the choices.

Since they have this mysterious list from somewhere, they might insert one car MAKE & MODEL I owned, and swap out the YEAR to be the wrong year.

So, I'm thinking loosely of when I OWNED the car, but since it's used, beat up & old when I received it, it may have been made years before I even drove/owned it. So, I'd disqualify that car & it could have really been the right car. :headache:

No, the first dog questions are usually ones on Internet websites. Where you have previously entered the info when you joined or started using the site.

When I said "financial institutions" and it happened 3 times already, I meant calling over the phone to: my own bank (see my response to RitaE below,) or opening a charge card account at a department store at the register and having to verify info over the phone that I'm really me opening the account. And yesterday, calling my stock broker.

They all DID ask questions like where I previously lived (also multiple choice and switching up real info like the street name with incorrect info: the city or state are wrong.

I guess they figure all this "public record" info maybe can be gotten from background checks. :confused3, An Identity Thief might loosely have that info on me, so they'd have part of the info, like the street I lived on, but carelessly mess up on the state, etc.

The questions are purposely designed to mess up the Identity Thieves. But, like below, some questions are so obscure, Come ON! they mess up the real person, too. :mad: :headache:

YES! I was asked this question too! I called once at 2am, after I checked my bank account and saw charges I didn't make. So I was trying to report it to cancel my card. They put ME through all the security questions and that was one of the questions. :eek: What month & year I opened that account. Unless I had opened it the exact day after a major event in my life, how the heck am I supposed to remember something as mundane as that? :headache: :headache: :headache:

I couldn't even look it up on my Internet account, since it doesn't list records back that far. So either I happen to have a file cabinet ready, next to my phone & I could pull out my first statement ever from over a decade ago, or have the date linked to an important event in my life.

Get this! Since I couldn't verify what date I opened my account, I failed the security test so my credit card was still usable instead of being frozen or cancelled.
banghead.gif
I had to go to my bank the next day and I ripped them anew for such a ludicrous question. :furious: Of course when I got to the bank, all I had to show was my driver's license. I would think an Identity Thief would have had a phony ID made up if they were pretending to be me. :rolleyes:

Bingo! That is the whole point. The one you forgot about will be the one they ask about. Plus, it's a multiple choice question. You don't get to volunteer all your other cars. They may have that one car listed (make & model perfect) and tell you the wrong YEAR. Since it's multiple choice, it doesn't matter if you are off by one year. You got the question wrong.

Which is what happened to me yesterday. Let's just say I had owned a used Jaguar xj220. ;) There are many Jaguar X- models. But, they got got the whole car, down to each letter, :thumbsup2 so now it hinges on the YEAR: 1984.

:confused: I barely remember anything from 1984. Wait! :idea: Oh yes! I was driving around the beat up blue car - only because I remember my boyfriend that year and what we drove around in. :thumbsup2 I do remember driving the Jaguar xj220 years later. . . But wait. . . was the car MADE in 1984 and I simply drove it 7-8 years later?

As I've said, I've owned so many different cars, some years the cars were made overlap. Some I owned way later than they were made - when they were about to die. Unless I'm buying new brakes, the whole car make/model/year never came up. I didn't own collectible cars, where I'd be proud to know that info. If the car got stolen, I carried around the car registration in my wallet, in my purse, so I would have just handed it to the police. Life was simpler back then.

Month & year you opened your account? I just got into a discussion at one of my banks last week because some changes needed to be made on my daughters' accounts. During the discussion it came up that they knew my savings account was more than 25 years old because it has a type of account number they haven't used in many moons & the account is coded to a date that matches a computer system from a couple decades ago.

Effectively my bank cannot tell via their computer how old that account is. I'd hate to be on the phone with them in the middle of the night, actually anytime, arguing & trying to explain that the date they're looking at is their computer system default date, not my date of opening the account. My daughters would be out of luck altogether, I opened their accounts when they were infants.

I could do the cars, but the opening the bank account thing.:rotfl: I bank with Wells Fargo which used to be Wachovia which used to be First Union which at some point gobbled up Northwestern. I had a Northwestern savings account as a a baby, a First Union account in college and a Wachovia one after college. After I got married, we had my Wachovia account and Dh's First Union one for a while then decided to consolidate them.

Dates! Dates! They need dates.

In your case, it probably would be harder. As your banks got gobbled up by each other. Would the records start on the date when the banks merged? Or would the bank have a record from your previous account, when you had first opened it under the old bank name? Which would you say? The wrong answer disqualifies you as being the real "you." :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Month & year you opened your account? I just got into a discussion at one of my banks last week because some changes needed to be made on my daughters' accounts. During the discussion it came up that they knew my savings account was more than 25 years old because it has a type of account number they haven't used in many moons & the account is coded to a date that matches a computer system from a couple decades ago.

Effectively my bank cannot tell via their computer how old that account is. I'd hate to be on the phone with them in the middle of the night, actually anytime, arguing & trying to explain that the date they're looking at is their computer system default date, not my date of opening the account. My daughters would be out of luck altogether, I opened their accounts when they were infants.

Last edited:

OMGosh I have had same account for at least 17 years and 3 bank name changes. I would have no idea either .

Well, if it's "public record", what good is the information for verification purposes? Why couldn't I obtain that public information, provide the answer, and be you?

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest