• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When is the New Jersey Teachers' Conference?

POOH&PIGLET

I love my DW, DDs, & DVC!
I know that there is an annual New Jersey Teachers' Conference every fall. It seemed that when we drove back to the airport to go home, every other car had a NJ license plate.

Does anyone know when it is this year?

I teach in NJ and the conference is usually the first week in November. I'm not 100% sureof the dates, but looking at the calendar it looks like it would fall on November 7th and 8th this year. Some schools give the kids the whole week off, other schools just give the days of the convention. But you are right, it's like the entire state of NJ goes to WDW at this time!

As someone who uses the teacher's convention for vacation, I would say avoid WDW during this week if you can. The hotels are usually discounted but the parks are very crowded. Much more crowded than normal for that time of year.

I live in southern NJ and the kids here are out of school from Tuesday, November 5 - 11, returning to school on Tuesday November 12th, 2002 (this is from my 2002-2003 school schedule). Many of my neighbors will be there the week of the 2 - 9th, one is doing the Disney Cruise that week. I personally have never been to WDW that week but I know many who have. I don't think it is crowded at all like the summer or holidays, most return saying there were no lines but maybe that's changing.

RobinLyn :D

RobinLyn,
I go at that time of year for just that reason - low crowds / lines.
However, there are a bit more crowds during the week of the conference. I already have my trip planned so I'll be there the week before and the week of the conference.

It's just amazing how many NJ people are at WDW during that week.

In addition Super Soap weekend is also Nov. 8 and 9. Veterans day is on the 11th. When all of these fall over the same weekend the parks will be more crowded. If you plan to go get ressies early we planned too late in 2000 and there were no on property rooms available. We ended up at the Hilton in DD. Nice but not the same as on property.:D

I am going that week and have been planning it since January. When I first found out that Soap Opera weekend was coming and then NJ week, I was so ill. I thought all that planning for the lowest crowd with the best prices and now, poof, its gone. I can't change ressies b/c there is a group of 14 of us and everyone has already taken off work (too much trouble) plus I have come to one realization.

ITS WALT DISNEY WORLD!!!!! Its ALWAYS crowded. Who cares! We are still going to have a ball!

:p :p :p

That's a great attitude!! With fast pass, you can do many things without a really long wait. I think you will have a fabulous time. The weather tends to be beautiful in November. We have been there several times that time of year and the temperatures are great with low humidity. I would make one suggestion, make all of your PS well in advance. We found all of the restaurants very crowded, but we never had a problem since we had PS.

I'm sitting here with the 2003-2003 school calendar in front of me which says November 7,8 Schools Closed, NJEA Convention.

Are the teachers from NJ able to use the convention time towards their professional development??

If so that is really nice.

Purrrrfecta,

What a great idea! I'll have to try that next year. I'm a music teacher and I could say I'm researching different kinds of music (Epcot), different performing styles (shows at MK), and directing skills for my Spring Musical (Beauty and the Beast and Hunchback Shows)!!! Actually I probably could figure out how to utilize all of that towards my professional development! What a great idea!!!

However, I don't think it would get approved by administration.

But what a great thought!

Scanne,
I was thinking that the conference was something like attending the NCTM where they had workshops etc. etc.
The light went off inside my head that's for sure!!! lol

You know I would tell them, it would be hands-on, you would be learning, and you would be having fun while doing it!
Let them know that is all we want for our students!!!
LOL:)

After our last trip in Nov 2000 we swore we would never go again during that week. I am a teacher, so school year vacations revolve around the school calendar. We leave in two weeks for a two week trip to florida, with one week in Disney. In November, it was so crowded with NJ people, we ran into three different families from our hometown in Southern New Jersey!~! The weather was also very hot and humid on several days. We used fastpass for several rides and was unhappy. Ffor the new Winnie the Pooh I got my FP at 11:10 AM to ride during 2:30-3:00 pm. We still waited in line for 30 minutes!! Many of the rides the FP ran out of passes by noon. To each their own, so go for it! Keep smiling and have fun!!:p

We've gone that time of year many times. It is never really that bad for us. Epcot is really crowded because of the food and wine festival. I would avoid Epcot on weekends but during the week it is ok. We actually went to MGM on soap weekend and we found the attractions to be less crowded because everyone was waiting in line to mee the stars.

NJ Teacher Convention is November 7 and 8th, Veteran's Day is the 11th which is giving us 5 days in a row off. My family and I have always done Disney this week and we always went this week when I was a kid (mom's a teacher). The crowds are not too bad, last year was slow, the year before was a little crowded but nohing like what we experienced the one time we went the second week of June. We have never had a problem staying on-site....just high airfare if you are not quick.

We make PS for the weekend and usually use the FastPass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter