• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When do you all pack?

I pack about a week before (usually Disney weather is much different than the weather at home so I'm not really out any clothes).

My wife likes to pack the night before. She says if she tries to do a little bit throughout the week she feels like she'd forget something.

I make a packing list about a month ahead of time, and identify anything we need to buy (like if we are low on toiletries for travel, if kids have outgrown swimsuits, etc). Then I start packing about 1-2 weeks ahead of time, and carefully check off what I've packed. We are driving, so I don't need to worry about losing luggage thankfully, but we are making a stop along the way, so I do a couple large suitcases and then pack smaller duffels/backpacks as overnight bags. The overnight bags i typically do the day before the trip. Electronics get packed day-of because we use them so much!
We spend a few nights at Universal before Disney so I pack everyone’s outfits for those 3 nights into one suitcase so we only have to bring up the one suitcase to our universal hotel

I have a big family (7 people) that I’m generally in charge of packing for, and we leave in 14 days (check in in 15 days) for a long universal/Disney trip. I asked DH to get luggage out this coming weekend so I could start gathering stuff together. He thinks I’m insane and we shouldn’t start packing til the day before we leave lol. This started a debate. I told him I’m sure lots of people like to get a head start on packing, am I crazy? When do people usually start packing?
I start making a super detailed packing list about a month out (down to which clothing items will be coming with), including small items i may need to purchase. If i'm ordering something online ill usually buy around this time.
A week out i'll start washing everything (if needed) and packing into my suitcase. Little things i'm purchasing locally will be bought around this time.
The bulk of the packing happens 24-48 hours before the trip though. Having my list itemized and finalized makes it easy.

Depends on who is going, where we are staying, how many days (laundry facilities), time of year, work schedules prior to departure, what activities we are involved with (tours, marathons, special dinners), flying or driving etc. etc. Packing cubes are a must for us as is our packing list. Don't need suitcases until day before we leave.

As soon as we book I add stuff to our amazon list and buy as time allows or go on sale. I then purchase anything throughout the months on Etsy. I add all of those things to a travel bin that I keep in the basement so all of our travel things are together. about 4 weeks out I pull everything out to see if there is anything else that I might need to purchase. Around 3 weeks I plan outfits and start packing thing in packing cubes. Around 2 weeks I pull out luggage and start adding any packing cubes/travel bags that are complete to each suitcase. In th week leading up to the trip, I buy any last minute items, get most of my kids packed and the suitcases organized. In the last couple days leading to the trip, I double check everything and make sure all carryons are packed. we usually fly on early morning flights and work the day before so I do my best to make sure the night before we leave isn’t stressful or busy so we can get to bed early.

hmmm...I'm about 45 days ahead :)
I don't pack that early, but I accumulate items early in bins/piles. so as we run into things that I know we'll need (but won't need in the interim) I put it in the bin (like the brita pitcher, magic bands, sunpass, hats, ponchos, etc). I'll pack the clothes about 1-2 nights before (for disney DVC trips, this has gotten alot easier with laundry available), and then the night before handle electronics, toiletries and snacks for the car (when we drive). I have a pretty detailed list down to what goes into what bag.

I've got several actual and mental piles going right now all about 20-60 days ahead -- disney trip, 3 different summer camps, 1 overnight school trip, 1 backpacking trip. If I wait til the week or night before we are going to miss something (forgotten socks, underwear, hiking boots, and pajamas on different trips if I don't plan)

We made a packing list that I use every time I go away. If it's been a while between trips I get nervous that the list is missing something - it never is. This means I usually start the day before! (No kids of course!)

I do enjoy preparing early though - buying tiny toiletries, little packets of tissues etc, part of the fun!

We have gotten to the point that we have separate toiletries/duplicate items for travel, and those get replenished after each trip so we don’t forget.

I pull aside anything special or out of current season several weeks before a trip so I can see if I need to buy something. I once had to go out after work, toddler in tow, the night before we left and buy more clothes for a cruise…it was super stressful!

Otherwise I pull out regular clothes about a week ahead, typically as laundry is done. That way we can wear other clothes besides what we plan to take and not wash again at the last minute.

I actually pack up a day or two ahead of travel. We usually leave in the morning and I prefer to have the car as loaded as possible the night before.

Packing ahead helps me feel more organized and I honestly pack less. Packing at the last minute makes me feel rushed and I throw too much stuff in.

I have a big family (7 people) that I’m generally in charge of packing for, and we leave in 14 days (check in in 15 days) for a long universal/Disney trip. I asked DH to get luggage out this coming weekend so I could start gathering stuff together. He thinks I’m insane and we shouldn’t start packing til the day before we leave lol. This started a debate. I told him I’m sure lots of people like to get a head start on packing, am I crazy? When do people usually start packing?
I would suggest you give him two options:
1. He gets the luggage down now and you pack for everyone or:
2. He waits until the day before and HE packs for everyone.

About 2-3 days before, I make sure everything is washed and ready to go. But I don't actually put anything into the suitcase until the day before. We pack everything in the ziplock baggies to keep them clean and dry so I don't like to do that too far in advance. But I also don't have 7 people to pack for. I think with that many people, the actual packing process should start a bit earlier. Nothing wrong with getting things gathered up, but I would not bring the suitcases out until a couple of days before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter