• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

wheelchair rental

shelle45

Earning My Ears
HI

I AM GOING TO ORLANDO IN NOVEMBER ONE OF MY BOYS REQUIRE THE USE OF A WHEELCHAIRE. HE WILL NEED IT WHEN WE ARE NOT AT THE PARKS. CAN YOU RECOMEND ANY RENTAL COMPANIES?
ALSO WE ARE GOING TO DISCOVERY COVE THEY WILL BE SWIMMING WITH THE DOLPHINS BUT MY DS USES A FORM OF SIGN LANGUAGE CALLED MAKATON AND I WILL NEED TO INTERPRIT FOR HIM. WILL I BE ALLOWED TO ACCOMPANY HIM AT THE SWIM? I DO NOT WANT TO SWIM WITH THE DOLPHIN.

MANY THANKS :wave2:

If you go to the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board, you will find a lot of information about renting wheelchairs, including the companies that DIS posters usually recommend. Any of the ones listed there are good.
If your child is small, you might be better off renting a stroller. Some of the companies lsited on that threadd also rent special needs strollers (which are similar to umbrella strollers, but made for bigger people).

shelle45 said:
I Went To The Faq But Could Not Find Anything
I think you probably went to the FAQ link in the top border (where it says User CP and then FAQ. That is a general FAQ about the boards in general.
The one I was meaning is an actual thread stuck to this particular board.
Click here for a link to it. The part that has rental information is post #2.

Regarding Discovery Cove, I would call them directly and ask. They might let you. But you'll need to be in the water to do it. Most of the time you're in about waist to chest deep water, but it's too far away from the shore for you to be able to follow what's happening and sign for him. You'll have to be in the water with the group (as i said, in about waist to chest deep water).

The 'dolphin' part of the encounter is really only two things. You get to pose for a picture kissing the dolphin (as you stand in the water). And you get to hold onto the dolphin's fin as he takes you for a ride through the water (you have to be able to swim for that part). The pulling part only lasts a few seconds really.

The rest of the time, you're standing in that water.

In any case, I would call Discovery Cove and ask them if you can accompany your son into the water to sign for him. And whether he can do it at all for that matter. I don't know if the dolphin swim is set up for disabilities.

Where we live there is a dolphin habitat where they actually have special encounters with the dolphins just for people with disabilities (for some reason the dolphins are especially gentle with people with disabilities - i don't think anyone knows why). But it's a very special place - and people come for weekly therapy there with the dolphins. But I would doubt that Discovery Cove has anything like that (after all, it's not a scientific place, but a money making business).

Bottom line - you need to call Discovery Cove directly and find out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter