Wheelchair, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, and fast pass

Bob22

Earning My Ears
Hello Everyone,

My 8yo daughter has an autoimmune disease which gives her back pain as well as fatigue. She definitely can walk for 20 minutes at a time, but I am afraid that she will tire in long lines, and then the pain will truly become bad. For these reasons we are getting a wheelchair delivered to our resort. She loves BTMR. I have read that the entrance line for wheelchairs at BTMR is separate, but there may be a long line in the wheelchair entrance. My question is it better to fast pass it and let her walk through the regular line, or use the wheelchair line with or without fastpass? I would like to use the wheelchair as much as possible, but wonder if this is the one line where I shouldn't.

Thanks for all the great advice! These boards are great.

I would definitely use the wheelchair entrance (you are talking about WDW and not DLR, correct?) I can't imagine based on my experience, waiting longer in the wheelchair line than in the normal one. Sometimes there is a wait, but I don't think it would compare. Have fun! I hope she enjoys the trip without pain.

Thank you. I do mean WDW. We cancelled a trip last year because she was in the hospital getting the diagnosis. I did have a concern that others would see her walking and think we were trying to game the system, but these boards alleviated that fear.

For those few attractions where the regular line is not accessible, guests using mobility devices are usually given a return time to come back to the accessible entrance.
If you have a Fastpass, your return time will be ‘now’. If you don’t have Fastpass, it will usually be about 10 minutes less than the current Standby Wait time. DAS is not needed to do this.

The attractions are mostly in MK and include Big Thunder Mountain RR, Jungle Cruise, Small World, Space Mountain.

I'm glad Sue was able to give you a more thorough answer! I'm sorry I missed the part about the Fastpass!! :)

Thanks for taking the time to respond! This Saturday is our 60 day mark. I guess it makes sense to not use fast passes for those attractions, as long as we don't mind waiting for the return time.

For big thunder they do keep the wheelchair line moving pretty fast I have to use it and all but once the wait was 5 minutes or less. One time and something happened not sure what ( I got from the CM they had a medical emergency in the inside pin they put you in so they could not let any wheelchair user in) but that was the only time the line was longer ( about 20 minutes.). If you do not FP theses lines the CM sometimes must see the wheelchair user.

We get a fastpass there and then use the wheelchair entrance. It is usually very quick and easy.

For those few attractions where the regular line is not accessible, guests using mobility devices are usually given a return time to come back to the accessible entrance.
If you have a Fastpass, your return time will be ‘now’. If you don’t have Fastpass, it will usually be about 10 minutes less than the current Standby Wait time. DAS is not needed to do this.

The attractions are mostly in MK and include Big Thunder Mountain RR, Jungle Cruise, Small World, Space Mountain.

Are these lines ECV accessible? I am trying to find a list of the rides in MK that you have to transfer to a WC.
Thanks!

Hello Everyone,

My 8yo daughter has an autoimmune disease which gives her back pain as well as fatigue. She definitely can walk for 20 minutes at a time, but I am afraid that she will tire in long lines, and then the pain will truly become bad. For these reasons we are getting a wheelchair delivered to our resort. She loves BTMR. I have read that the entrance line for wheelchairs at BTMR is separate, but there may be a long line in the wheelchair entrance. My question is it better to fast pass it and let her walk through the regular line, or use the wheelchair line with or without fastpass? I would like to use the wheelchair as much as possible, but wonder if this is the one line where I shouldn't.

Thanks for all the great advice! These boards are great.
My son has mobility issues as well. we have a medical stroller. He also loves BTMR. On previous trips we got the tag for stroller as a wheel chair and used the wheelchair line. We didn't feel that we waited any longer than anyone else. Sometimes we waited with other people and we walked through as a group. It seemed that the wait was for an available CM. we rode this ride with and without Fastpass and didn't ever feel like the wait was excessive. HTH

So, the stand by queue doesn't have the accessible access spot anymore? It used to be that you'd get in the standby queue, and then when you got to the stairs, the CM there would let you out of the queue into the accessible line.

So, the stand by queue doesn't have the accessible access spot anymore? It used to be that you'd get in the standby queue, and then when you got to the stairs, the CM there would let you out of the queue into the accessible line.
what ride are you asking about?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!